Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Dwarf Mondo Grass 'Nana' (Ophiopogon japonicus)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 8, Views: 159
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DaddyNature
Atlanta, GA

November 20, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #4213918

Dwarf Mondo Grass,Monkey Grass 'Nana'
Ophiopogon japonicus

My beautiful carpet of Mondo-riffic grass...where regular grass has trouble growing.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/50006/

Thumbnail by DaddyNature
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DaddyNature
Atlanta, GA

November 21, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #4217382

If you're VERY patient, mondo grass will spread-out...sometimes like an arm stretching outward or grow-out in an oval shape. Once I quit using lime on my lawn, it spread at much faster. I love to mow it to a hight of 3.5" and it's wonderful to recline on. :) It grows where I haven't been able to grow grass and it has survived and grown in this record-breaking drought.
nancyloupa
Landenberg, PA

March 2, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #4611905

I've been doing alot of research in my attempt to replace turf grass with something that can take the shade, and will NOT need the lime/fertilizer.
Ophiopogon j. 'Nana' looks like a good solution. The only thing I'm concerned about is the length of time to get it filled in. . .

Nancy
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #4640208

Daddynature, Your mondo yard is beautiful. How long did it take for it to look this good? Also you said that you like to mow it to 3.5 inches. Is that numerous times during the summer or just in the spring? I'm considering this for my yard. Thanks, Laverne
DaddyNature
Atlanta, GA

March 31, 2008
7:30 PM

Post #4736315

Hey y'all, it takes time but worth the wait. You can mix real grass in with the Mondo. I'm assuming you could even place sod on top of it...since Mondo is so hardy it could grow back through the sod. It took roughly 15 years of steady growth -- HOWEVER, when I stopped using lime on the soil and started plugging the yard it took VERY little time to finish the job. Obviously, it didn't like lime. Also, I was more careful to clean the leaves off the ground, in the fall. Poplar tree leaves are toxic to plants...as are Rhododendron, Oak, etc. So -- all and all, my Mondo it's growing VERY fast and I am plugging ather area around yard. Helpful hint: Try cutting the grass low to force growth into the roots; to make it spread faster. I love my Mondo carpet and it's nice to recline on the foliage. It's like thick Astroturf. :)
hikinmike
Pensacola, FL

August 1, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6891984

Thanks for the hints. I'm trying to facilitate the property's Dwarf Mondo to spread and/or replace some fast growing turf grass.
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 1, 2009
5:53 AM

Post #6892810

I just love this little stuff, its just too cute. Have plugs of it scattered here and there in my yard, around my pond and in some flower beds. Daddynature, I still am in love with your mondo grass yard but looks like a lot of work. Think I have talked myself out of a mondo yard. We would like to see more pictures. Laverne
DaddyNature
Atlanta, GA

February 15, 2010
4:31 PM

Post #7561066

Hi Laverne,

I don't have any new pictures to post. I have larger patches in another section of my yard.

One of the great attributes of having a Mondo yard is that it chokes out weed...and it hardly has to be mowed or fertilized. It's really not a lot of work to start your future yard...if I'd known how to do it, years ago, it would have been a blessing -- instead of all the $eed and fetilizer over the years for grass... If you already have patches of it, in your yard, you can dig it up and divide it. Some of the plants will separate, with a little light tugging. Some of the sprigs will be connected by a root system. Use scissors or your fingers to break/cut the plants apart. Each little Mondo sprig is a future patch of Dwarf Mondo. :) If I had plenty of time, I'd try to create a pattern with it -- say, on a hillside or patch of yard you can see in the landscape. You could also start to grow it rows or boarders to give some interest to your yard.
tapeariso
Santa Barbara, CA

August 24, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9251983

Hi, I see a lot of sun in this picture and I thought that Dwarf Mondo grass was almost exclusively a shade or semi-shade ground cover. Will it grow well in partial sun also? What about full sun? There are times of the year that my area receives full sun.
Thanks

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America