-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2007
8:36 PM

Post #4214562

As I cleaned up the last of the yard today I was pulling annuals out of the pots and got to wondering. There were seed heads on some of the plants. I saved the seeds and once I got the plants cleaned out, I shook the pods over the pots (same dirt). They are snapdragons. Is there any chance they will sprout and grow next year? Should I cover this pot in the winter like the wintersown pots, or just leave it and see what happens? Thanks for any advice.
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 20, 2007
8:43 PM

Post #4214574

Hi Cathy,

I think there's a good chance that they will sprout even without being covered. However, snaps are great little winter-sowers, so you could cover the pots with some plastic that you've poked some holes in to ensure better success. This spring, I topped off a big container with soil from a windowbox that had had annuals planted in. It ended up being just filled with Crystal Palace lobelia and trailing nasturtiums that had seeded themselves. From that, I've decided that I'm going to do more direct seeding in containers.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2007
12:01 AM

Post #4215204

Thanks Susan, I'll add some fresh soil on top and cover, I just love snapdragons, they make me smile.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America