Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: How to keep mulch from sliding off the hillside?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 6, Views: 184
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Rosie
West Simsbury, CT
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2001
1:03 PM

Post #10992

We have a smallish hillside on one side of the house in front and we've cut back lots of the shrubby weedy stuff and Mr. R. would like to put fabric down and then mulch to clean it up a bit. How can we keep the mulch from sliding off the hillside?

We don't want ground cover because there is a forest right behind this hill full of oak trees and other leaf shedding trees.

Any ideas?
herbin
Park Hill, OK
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2001
2:33 PM

Post #111766

You don't want a ground cover because ??? Seems like the leaves would make a good mulch for winter, and generally around here they blow off enough for the spring. Ajuga is a thought. If you like rocks, some big ones embedded in the bank will give some spaces to fill in behind. just a passing thought.
Rosie
West Simsbury, CT
(Zone 5a)

August 17, 2001
3:23 PM

Post #111815

I'd like ground cover... I don't want anything that spreads like crazy and only native plants, so that's a consideration. The rocks could be interesting. Hmmmmmmmmm. We get a ton of leaves here.. there are tall forests of very old oak trees hanging over that hillside and it seems those oak leaves NEVER blow away, lol.
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 17, 2001
7:56 PM

Post #111967

Hi Rosie,
What about laying some chicken wire/cloth wire over top of the soil, then adding a shredded type mulch? This combo seems to work at the newly landscaped train stop by me. In some areas, though, they did put down a ground cover, while some areas are all dark mulch. I use sludge on one slope here and it doesn't erode away, while on another slope, I planted crown vetch.
Trish
herbin
Park Hill, OK
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2001
8:34 PM

Post #111990

Dicentra - sludge? what is that?
Rosie
West Simsbury, CT
(Zone 5a)

August 18, 2001
12:19 AM

Post #112093

I was going to ask about the sludge also... Interesting thoughts.
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2001
4:13 PM

Post #112702

Sludge is the Earthmate stuff from a water municipality. It's treated human waste compost mixed with aged compost from trees, available free to home gardeners. It's sounds yucky but it looks better than most bought mulches, it's free, it doesn't slide off a slope, has super absorbing qualities and pro landscapers have been fined for stealing the stuff, which is only free to home gardeners. I wouldn't use it for any veggie/edible gardens, though.
Here's a link about the sludge properties and use:
http://147.4.150.5/~mgelfa20/sendesin/page1.htm
http://147.4.150.5/~mgelfa20/sendesin/biouses.htm
Trish

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 19th 12:29 PM

This message was edited Sunday, Aug 19th 7:55 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America