Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

PlantFiles How-to's: Search by _category_?

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles How-to's
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles How-to'sReplies: 6, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sevidra
Rockaway, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2007
6:00 PM

Post #4217634

Is there a way to search by category (Shrub, vegetable, etc)?

I couldn't find it. Maybe I'm just having another blonde moment.

If there isn't, we need one - I'm tired of seeing Daylilies (which seem to have names in every word in existence) when I'm searching for veggies! :D

-Sev
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #4217694

Here is the search for the ones that have there own category. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/finder/
sevidra
Rockaway, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #4217749

Hmm not quite what I meant.

If you look into the description of something, there is an entry for "Category". Sometimes this says "Vines and Climbers". Sometimes it says "Vegetables". I mean that category.

For example,
Cantaloupe
Cucumis melo 'Ambrosia'

is in the "Melons" category where you linked. However, it has this in its description area:

Category:
Vegetables
Vines and Climbers

Nearly everything I'd search for should fall under "Vegetables" or "Fruits" or something similar. Is there a way to search that field?

-Sev
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #4217789

There's not a search like that even the advanced search is for the ones that has there own categories set up. If you know the cultivar or the species etc you are looking for then the field by field search should help you out. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php
sevidra
Rockaway, NJ
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #4217804

Yeah, I figured. Like I said, I didn't find what I was thinking. Is there a 'suggestions' forum or something that I could put this on? It might be nice to see it placed where it could be possibly turned into something.

I came up with the thought because I 'shop' for my want-list by searching for idle things.

An example is a broad search for 'chocolate'. It comes up with some nifty veggies - but also tons of flowers! If I could just browse through everything with 'vegetables' in the Category line, I'd be happier with my window shopping. :)

-Sev
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2007
8:54 PM

Post #4218117

Maybe I don't understand what you're looking for, but I think the advanced search does what you need. You can search by category, and there are categories for vegetables, vines & climbers, trees & shrubs, and many more. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/advanced.php?sname=Plants
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #4218211

True, you can check vegetables in advanced search and get a list of 100. But thats all. You can check bloom color, height etc and narrow it down some. I have often wished that we could use the checkboxes with Genus and species that would be really useful, but as noted it only works with specified categories. I wish that I could search cucumbers as easily as I can melons or squash.

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

-

Other PlantFiles How-to's Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM
    Royalty lilac bigcityal 7 Aug 8, 2007 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
    Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America