-
AuthorContent
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 21, 2007
8:29 PM

Post #4218057

Does anyone know anything about salvia 'Carol's Delight'? Sun, shade, height, hardiness? Picked it up at Cabrillo with this name...thanks for any info.
Sherry
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

November 21, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #4218392

After a Google search, it looks best to ask Ernie Wasson of Cabrillo College about it. There is little out there on this one.

Can you upload an image of the flower and the growth habit?
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

November 22, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #4219211

Thanks, I couldn't find any info either and it's not flowering at present time. I have a couple other salvia that are lacking in info also, so I'll have to tackle the camera issue, I suppose...
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 6, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #4911562

Another solved by checking Piergrossi's site for "every salvia they've ever sold" list. That really helps, plus being able to check back to what was offered at Cabrillo when I was there. I need to be more careful in making sure EVERY plant that is buy is labeled!
It's an involucrata x karwinskii.

This message was edited May 7, 2008 6:52 AM
andymaycen
Keaau, HI

May 21, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #4983186

Sherry,
I briefly had this Salvia until the big frost of last winter finished it off. Anyway, in my garden this proved to be a huge Salvia that didn't flower a whole bunch. I think its' name is misleading as I found no delight in it..lol

Take-care, Andy
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 22, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #4985845

Well, I was going to ask if you wanted cuttings, but perhaps I should just throw the whole plant away right now...lol...if it didn't flower for you, I have no chance.
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

May 22, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #4985912

andy, you have d-mail...
Sherry
greentoo
Carpinteria, CA

January 3, 2013
10:16 PM

Post #9374829

Salvia "Carol's Delight" is a garden hybrid that appeared in my garden here in Carpinteria in the 90's. (At the time I was only growing S. karwinskii and S. wagneriana). This is a winter bloomer and will bloom heavily here from late September until February. If untrimed it will become a large multistemed shrub up to 8 feet tall or more. It has qualities of both parents but a longer bloom period than either. It may be frost tender but has survived into the high 20's in Santa Barbara with little damage. I gave a plant to Ernie Wasson when he visited to speak to the Santa Barbara County Horticultural Society. He grew it in the Cabrillo College Salvia collection and it was propagated for plant sales at the college. This is a wonderful salvia for frost free areas where regular water and top dressing with compost can be suplied.
Carol Terry
greentoo
Carpinteria, CA

January 12, 2013
5:34 PM

Post #9383111

Salvia 'Carol's Delight' images from January 2013. Taken at Carpinteria, CA.

Thumbnail by greentoo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

greentoo
Carpinteria, CA

January 12, 2013
6:10 PM

Post #9383131

More images. Just learning to post images but wanted all to see this Salvia.

Thumbnail by greentoo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

January 15, 2013
12:35 PM

Post #9386115

I just got the provenance on Marwin Gardens and Carol's Delight much better defined:

Salvia karwinskii x wagneriana (white form) `Marwin Garden
Hybrid from garden of Sandi Martin of Watsonville, CA.

Salvia karwinskii x wagneriana (pink form) `Carol's Delight'
Hybrid from garden of Carol Terry of Carpinteria, CA.

The information came from Kathe Navarez of Cabrillo College.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America