Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: What the Gardener REALLY Wants for Christmas: A fellow gardener after my own heart!

Communities > Forums > Article: What the Gardener REALLY Wants for Christmas
bookmark
Forum: Article: What the Gardener REALLY Wants for ChristmasReplies: 26, Views: 257
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 23, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #4221219

Ooooooh yes Please!
A load of manure ,what bliss!
or bales of organic sugar cane mulch ... heaven!!
If the budget is tight ...a little plant or even a box of cuttings will always gladden my heart!
Failing that you may even pick a daisy or a rose and give it to me with a smile and a hug .
Thankyou for your happy article!
Hyblaean
Niles, IL
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2007
6:07 AM

Post #4221508

Printing this off and putting it under her pillow. I'm hoping it will leak subliminal vibes :)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2007
6:52 AM

Post #4221550

ROFL ...and visions of horse manure danced in their heads.
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2007
1:20 PM

Post #4221785

OMG! How funny is this and soooooo true! The very best present I ever gave myself was a dump truck load of humus!
Candyce
The Monadnock Region, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #4221786

Such a fantastic article! I loved every word, and wished for every gift! I LOVE the idea of the monthly gift cards. How creative!!!
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4221816

THANKYOU,

just the article to put under the noses of the non-gardeners in the family. My annual requests for a dump truck load of manure for every gift giving occasion throughout the year are met with raised eyebrows! You WANT what? !!!!

yes, yes I DO... it's gold, GOLD I tell ya!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

November 23, 2007
2:03 PM

Post #4221851

Loved it!

It reminds me of the year I got a set of pearls, and a new wheelbarrow from DH...guess which evoked squeals of delight?
DawninTx
Nevada, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 23, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #4222015

Great reading and Oh So True. I've printed several copies to drop as hints!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #4222048

What a Hoot, Just love your writing Lori. I just love it when my guys give me gifts of labor. I have received a load of mulch, gifts of weeding, a fall wreath made from the dried grasses and plants from the field next to our house, loppers and a cement cistern specially formed to be used as part of a small water feature just to name a few. Thanks for the laugh and the printable hints. LOL Holly
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2007
7:03 PM

Post #4222705

Whew! I am soooo glad I'm not the only gal around who swoons over a lovely pile of rotted manure :)

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2007
10:29 PM

Post #4223176

Nice job, Lori. With what other hobby would the recipient be happy with a 'rotten gift'?! I prefer gift cards myself. The image of my wife going to a gardening center for anything would make me dive for the Prozac.
ccgardner
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 24, 2007
5:32 AM

Post #4224246

I agree with the wheelbarrow over the pearls. It took a while, but my boyfriend finally understands that when I ask for garden tools and plants for for Christmas it's better to oblige than waste his money on jewelry. The tools are used non-stop and the jewelry just sits in the box. My list this year includes a hatchet and a pitch fork! Oooooooh can't wait.
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #4224778

Glad you enjoyed the article, everyone. May you all get everything on the list.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #7379157

Wonderful article! As a gardener I can certainly relate. I would love to get mulch or manure or even rocks as a gift for Christmas or even my birthday. What a treat that would be! Oh, and of course the gift cards to garden centers are great ideas. I'd rather pick out my own stuff rather than have someone pick out something that I wouldn't be absolutely thrilled with. Thanks for sharing your humor and ideas with us!

Karen

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

December 18, 2009
10:20 AM

Post #7379303

I asked for hand clippers. As DH is a better gardener than I am I'm sure to get them.
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #7379533

Last year I asked for a gift cert . to Logees - finally got one. I think my DH realized the impact of the gift when we went there in person and I swooned over the plants for over 2 hours.
This year I'm asking for a gift cert. to a rose vendor and a local plant store. Fingers crossed!
I'd love to ask for a load of manure, but I'm afraid of the response I'd get!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #7379542

My brother-in law gave me a rock for my birthday one year...this was a wonderful gift, as we live in a rock-deprived part of the country and this one was the size of a Volkswagen.
MarshaMLF
Chapel Hill, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #7379758

Terrific article! So funny, and so so true!
When my family nudges me for gift ideas,
I always answer: a load of (whatever
amendment I covet at the time). They
think I'm kidding! Every time I start-up
my little tiller, I smile about the Christmas
morning it appeared under the tree.
I can't remember what I had for dinner
last night, but I remember every gardening
gift - who it came from and when :)

My daughter's a gardener, and she
moved into her first house this fall. She
might dream of sugarplums, but she's
getting a truckload of leaf compost :)

I'm printing this one out, and tucking it
into my garden journal ... for future reference :)
Looking forward to reading more of
your articles, Lori - love your sense of humor!

Marsha
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #7380796

LOL, Melody, what a fun gift, a giant rock!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #7381282

I love your gift, Melody! I would love a gift like that myself. I don't live in a rock deprived area, but my property is pretty rock deprived, and there is no place where you can just get rocks for free, pretty much. Most people covet their rocks and won't let anyone have them, and they aren't cheap to buy. When you get charged per pound for something as heavy as rocks, it adds up pretty quick. I found that out this past year when I ordered 2 tons of blasted granite rock. The load was smaller than I imagined it would be. It sure is nice stone, though.

Karen
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #7382153

Oh, rocks are a great idea! Although I bet melody could make a garden look good with a lump of coal in it too. ;-)
sheltiegardener
Fort Worth, TX

December 21, 2009
4:48 PM

Post #7388049

Great article and absolutely spot on, but some of these replies are making me laugh just as hard! Can't believe I'm not the only person who'd be thrilled to get a gift of rocks!
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #7392800

lol, rocks!

a couple of years ago we had to replace the chimney and liner for our woodstove/fireplace in the family room.

Our 'rock' that year for xmas was a beautiful 1.5 x 3 foot slab of polished pink granite for the fireplace hearth...

The rock is a preferred resting spot for the cats when the fireplace is on...

happy holidays!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 15, 2010
7:59 AM

Post #8261437

One year I got a metal farm gate from my husband, great gift. It was sitting outside with a big red bow on it. My teenaged sons (at the time) didn't quite 'get' how excited I was.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2010
2:11 PM

Post #8269481

Nice gift! Your husband sounds like a good man.

Karen
DracoVolans
Crestline, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 24, 2010
2:02 PM

Post #8275536

Egad, I think my poor husband would FREAK at some of the stuff I wish for my garden... His reaction might be less catastrophic once we have a house, but man, it would be hilarious to see him trying to assimilate the yen for big, decorative rocks and truckloads of mulch/manure! The poor guy ALREADY has to deal with my obsession for edible, fruit-bearing cactus, my attempts to grow every unusual fruit tree I find from seed, and my habit of collecting snippets of broken succulents we find on our walks through the neighbourhood... LOL

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2010
9:36 PM

Post #8275913

LOL! Good man!

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What the Gardener REALLY Wants for Christmas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
gifts for gardeners cedar18 0 Nov 24, 2007 11:24 PM
Thanks for the laugh! Bookerc1 1 Dec 19, 2009 3:40 PM
again, a wonderful read WigglyPaw 1 Dec 19, 2009 3:39 PM
Don't argue with me! dparsons01 1 Dec 19, 2009 3:38 PM
Great re-run! woofie 4 Dec 21, 2011 7:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America