Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Big Leaves, Big Impact: Petasites japonicus

Communities > Forums > Article: Big Leaves, Big Impact
bookmark
Forum: Article: Big Leaves, Big ImpactReplies: 7, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2007
3:28 PM

Post #4227517

Thank you!! We've been scared to death to try these, but sinking them in pots in the ground is perfect - thanks very much!

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2007
4:01 PM

Post #4227639

Oh good! I am dying to find space to plant some of it too and the pot idea is probably what I will use as well. Glad I could help!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #4227646

Bought a *bear's breeches* at HD last summer. Planted and then learned it would get as big as a vw. Moved it to a more suitable spot. Have had to dig roots from the orginial spot 4 times and they are back again. I love all of these large leaves and also have a lot of EE because they make such a statement for such little effort. Have bookmarked this great article and may try some of these this next spring.

LouC
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #4228878

Ok... that does it. I just need a bigger yard! I never knew there were so many fabulous big-leaved plants. Thanks, Susanne for all the great information!
flowerhead410
Nelson, NH
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2007
10:09 PM

Post #4232379

I have the variegated butterbur, which I love-but snails are a problem! I have found that while it can be aggressive, it is pretty easy to dig up-AS LONG AS-it isn't planted too close to other perrennials, a rock wall or tree. Trying to get it out of these situations can be tricky. The roots are large though and that makes them easy to restrain. I kind of like reeling it in, one of those weird pleasures! I think it is important to know where to put it, and just like anything else that has the potential to overtake other plants-don't always beware-JUST BE AWARE!
I enjoyed the article Susanne, being an artist as well, I love the juxtaposition of large and small and the dynamic energy it creates!-Kath
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 13, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #4291733

Susanne, Just now got the opportunity to read this great article...what a well done and beautifully illustrated story on the big-leafs. Pretty soon we are going to have tropic looking gardens all over the U.S.! Thanks for the wonderful article!

Yokwe,
Shari
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

July 27, 2010
6:18 PM

Post #8001008

I saw a lovely clump of petasites and fell in love with its tropical look. I promptly bought a pot of it and interred it pondside at the local public garden where I volunteer. For the next several years I was chided often as my fellow volunteers as they repeated tried to rein it in and then finally eradicate it when it proved uncontrollable. Be careful with this plant, though the idea of growing it in a large pot sounds appealing.
lucyg22
Annapolis, MD

July 27, 2010
8:43 PM

Post #8001313

I worked in a garden last summer that had this all over. We called it Pest-acites. It's very invasive in this climate (Mid-Atlantic, zone 7). It also only looks good for a couple of months. By mid-summer the leaves have holes in them from bugs or have been torn by the wind, and they look pretty sad. I spent a lot of time ripping it out. Once found a whole rosebush that had disappeared under it!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Big Leaves, Big Impact Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gunnera grins wannadanc 0 Jul 25, 2010 9:12 AM
Umbrella Plant verna001 0 Jul 26, 2010 11:17 AM
And more DianeEG 0 Jul 26, 2010 12:29 PM
big leaf plants gardener2b 2 Aug 10, 2012 9:24 AM
No elephant ears? orangegrovegirl 3 May 30, 2011 6:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America