Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Mimosa tree

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 6, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nathaliecraft
Richmond, VA

November 25, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #4227533

I am from Europe and the mimosa tree flowers are small yellow clusters with a velour texture. The scent,although short lived, is fresh and abundant. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

November 25, 2007
5:35 PM

Post #4227938

There are two kinds of trees that are called mimosa. From what I've heard, your mimosa with the yellow is the "true" mimosa (whatever that means). What we call mimosa in the U.S. is also called silk tree. I personally have never heard anyone use that name.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2009
3:59 AM

Post #7105405

The tree I have in my sideyarden that I was told is a true silk tree has no blooms and from I have been told never will. Why I do not know. This is supposedly the tree brought from China to try to start a silk industry in this country but the silk worm responsible ro making the webs to make the fabric didn't seem to like this country's climate and they all died.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2009
4:33 AM

Post #7105469

The tree that silk worms feed off of is a mulberry tree. If I remember correctly, most mulberry trees planted nowdays are of a variety that does not bloom because so many people are allergic to the pollen.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #7106223

Thanks,Kelli. That must be the only nonproducing mulberry tree around here. We have several of the fruiting ones in the yarden.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2009
4:19 PM

Post #7106432

I could be wrong, but I think mulberries might be male and female on separate plants. Apparently they were popular in the 1960s and there are a lot of them lining streets around here. They never get fruit. They're decent shade trees but they push up the sidewalk.
Sue_in_Corsica
Ajaccio, Corsica
France
(Zone 10b)

September 28, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #7112059

The yellow mimosa described by nathaliecraft is apparently an acacia. I looked up "acacia" in the plant files and found many kinds, and quite a few photos of the small round yellow flowers mentioned. This acacia, aka wattle, is quite common in Provence; it is evocative of the Mardi Gras carnival in Nice (as it is blooms in February) and grows well here in Corsica, too. A charactericstic it apparently shares with the pink mimosa treated in this article is its tendency to spread! My husband doesn't want any in our yard, despite its beauty. So I try to be satisfied with the absolutely gorgeous mimosas I see in our area.

The flowers smell very good, and a bouquet of them in the house brightens up the end of winter, even though the spherical flowers tend to close up into an even smaller sphere once cut from the tree. Florists sell varieties that last longer inside. The flowering period is about 6 weeks long.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa catevala 1 Sep 25, 2009 12:58 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM
Hope after mimosa wilt? twilightblue 1 Sep 28, 2009 4:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America