Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?: Mimosa

Communities > Forums > Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ?Replies: 1, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catevala
Spokane, WA

November 25, 2007
4:59 PM

Post #4227837

One of the first plants I noticed and learned the name of. This is Midland, Texas, out in West Texas, zone 7. Did well there and not as invasive as in the southeastern U.S. The photo of the plant in D.C. reminded me to inform that this species is not invasive everywhere. D.C. is just cold enough (and warm enough) to create a well-behaved tree. As always it depends on site and climate as to whether a plant is a weed. The northern Florida experience written about above is an example of the wrong place! The Cercis should do very well. And, it is another legume!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #7102606

well done discussion of the tree.
I don't know if Mimosa has made the Maryland invasive list--but my neighbor had a big one. Everything the author says about the tree is true. That tree died (wilt?) quite a while ago and I am STILL dealing with seedlings that lay dormant under my bushes until the bushes were trimmed and the seedlings got enough sun to take off.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mimosa Tree - Treasure or Trash ? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Mimosa is a favorite Treasure UniQueTreasures 20 Oct 4, 2009 9:45 PM
Mimosa tree nathaliecraft 6 Sep 28, 2009 12:51 PM
Mimosa tree shirleyt 1 Sep 26, 2009 4:02 AM
Leaf Drop of Gardinia garden328 2 Mar 9, 2011 10:31 AM
Hope after mimosa wilt? twilightblue 1 Sep 28, 2009 4:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America