Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Handyman: Ice maker for refrigerator just stopped

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 5, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #4231053

I don't know when, why, where, what...but one morning, it just stopped making ice.
The fridge is only about 5 years old, never had any problems.
Does anyone have any clue as to why it would just stop working?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2007
4:56 PM

Post #4231213

My icemaker has a little arm thing that gets pushed up as the bin fills with ice, when the arm gets to the top of the bin then it stops making ice so the bin doesn't overflow. If your icemaker works similar to that, you might check and make sure that the arm hasn't got stuck in the up position, that might be making the icemaker think the bin is already full of ice. The other thing I would check is that the water supply to the icemaker is turned on. Those are the two obvious things that you can fix yourself, but if it's something else then you may need a professional.
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 26, 2007
5:24 PM

Post #4231360

Hi ecrane...
The arm is working ok.
I guess I'll pull the fridge out away from the wall and see if I can see anything there.
(Crossing fingers)

Thanks!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 26, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #4231374

The other thing you might try is unplugging the fridge, then plug it back in again--if there's something funny with the electronics that might reset things? This is just a crazy idea, sort of like how rebooting a computer fixes half the problems you have, maybe this would work the same way. I honestly have no idea if this would do anything or not, but it only takes a few seconds to try it and it won't hurt anything!
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 27, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #4233412

What kind of refrigerator is it ?
Frozen fill tube is a good bet, take a look at this site:

http://fixitnow.com/wp/2003/01/29/appliance-tip-of-the-day-no-ice-in-your-whirlpool-or-kitchenaid-side-by-side-fridge-with-in-door-ice/

scroll down a little bit
Pinger42
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 27, 2007
4:27 PM

Post #4235208

All fixed!
Culprit...frozen fill tube.
Thanks you guys!
Ping

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America