Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Crocosmia, a short review: Question

Communities > Forums > Article: Crocosmia, a short review
bookmark
Forum: Article: Crocosmia, a short reviewReplies: 3, Views: 78
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

November 26, 2007
8:55 PM

Post #4232076

I recently sewed seeds of C. 'Lucifer' and they have all sprouted...about 5" tall. When would be the right time to plant them out???

Wonderful article!!!!

Carol
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 26, 2007
8:58 PM

Post #4232084

Hi Carol

Well in this country i would keep them in pots until spring, but where you are i guess you could plant them out now... you don't get frost there do you???

Thank you... hope to write another one soon!!

Mark
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

November 26, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #4232189

No..no frost at all. I may wait until they are a bit bigger...

BTW - We sailed down to Chile stopping in Central America and they we travelled thru Peru and Ecuador on foot/bus/car. C. montbretia was growing EVERYwhere. From hot coastlines to cool coastlines (Chile), to mountains and valleys...the MOST prolefic flower we encountered. And Simply Lovely. I used them in Seattlee to hold rather sharp banks from washing away...once dug up a clump that was 7" deep with corms.

Carol
Mr_Crocosmia
Caistor
United Kingdom
(Zone 8b)

November 27, 2007
5:52 AM

Post #4233878

Carol

If you take the plant out of the pot and you can see lots of white root then they are safe to plant...

Oh I know the common montbretia is all over the states... its classed as a weed in some states!!
They can get a lot deeper than 7" too... I dug up and divided my friends for her and they were nearly a foot deep...

Mark

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Crocosmia, a short review Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love your article and crocosmia! tabasco 30 Sep 27, 2010 7:16 AM
How to get Crososmia to bloom in containers? clareb 0 Aug 6, 2008 4:53 PM
How does Crocosmia propogate? ShadowJack 0 Sep 7, 2008 4:04 PM
Crocosmia won't bloom idleness 0 Jun 13, 2010 4:51 PM
Crocosmia - no show of anything oceanwav1 0 Jun 14, 2010 12:09 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America