Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds: Too true and it is great fun...

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting SeedsReplies: 26, Views: 299
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2007
5:42 AM

Post #4241959

Fun article and the Seed Snatchin' threads are entertaining. Now we need one on storing all these little buddies. LOL Thanks for the chuckle!
ceeadsalaskazone3
Seward, AK

November 29, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #4242157

Did I just co-write that article with weezingreens? Me thinks the "damping off" finally is creeping thru me wee little head.. heheheehehe LOL Weez, I think I'm on my way "behind the curtain", "peeling off out of formation", "limited out my longevity", "lost it", (whoooeee) and I think I signed it "Critter" yep, losing it, definately.

(Critter, isn't it unsanitary to take words out of my mouth?)

LOL LOL

Great article!
ginnylynn
Blyth, ON
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #4242205

Great article - I loved it! It put a smile on my face that I'm sure will last the rest of the day.
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #4242275

Oh yeah Jill!
Very funny article!! LOL Relating to every word..
Seed snatchin' is my thing for sure... I am still collecting more seeds every day here. Glad you wrote this article, hopefully folks will save their seeds and share, rather than throw them in the trash.

debnes
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

November 29, 2007
2:18 PM

Post #4242490

**snicker snicker** What a fun read Jill :)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #4242710

Great article, big smile first thing this morning. I find I'm more aware of my surroundings now that I seed snatch, would hate to miss something special!
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

November 29, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #4242724

O Critter,
I just started recognizing what the seeds look like on different plants and everywhere I go I am checking for them. Glad its not just me and I am in good company! Now if I only had time to plant them all...
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2007
3:34 PM

Post #4242850

Great article!
I'm always on the lookout for "volunteer" seeds to add to my collection too, even have my family on the lookout. Let the "Great Seed Snatch" begin!
Cathy

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2007
3:56 PM

Post #4242915

Very cute Jill! I saw no admission of a 'disease' or 'compulsion', however!! My only attempt at this was to scrape the poppy seeds off the roll in my supermarket. They banned me.
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

November 29, 2007
4:28 PM

Post #4243045

"The most obvious is the least suspected" is my rule to go about the "bold front" approach of "assisting plants to propagate" (sounds more politically correct than "seed snatching." LOL

Great article. Thanks for an enjoyable read.

Jeremy
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

November 29, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #4243355

I seed snatch while taking pictures of the flowers, who would suspect?
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2007
6:09 PM

Post #4243359

Good one Jeremy!!

What I mean by "seed snatchin'" is actually "seed catchin'"... before they fall to the ground. It's usually the ones in my own yard, (a-hem...cough coff)

Seriously~ There is an Organic Nursery I shop at and do butterfly presentations for... I usually bring a pack of some rare Native seeds and give them to the ladies who tend the plants. Then as I walk along, I say "Hey, mind if I collect these?" They usually say, "Take all you want!" (It does actually save them a bit of tedious work. :-)

:-debnes

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

November 29, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #4243511

Jill, I love it! I recognised myself in what you wrote!I'm addicted to seed snachin' too! LOL
Adina
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #4243554

ROFL, especially @ Jeremy & Victor! I'm glad you all had fun with the article. DH read it and didn't even crack a smile. He's tolerant, even supportive (I confessed this morning that I'd hit the B&B sale for more daffs, and he didn't even ask how many LOL), but he doesn't really get it. But a gardening buddy of mine dropped by and giggled her way through reading it... She and I have snatched our share of seeds! She says her sister has recently taken snatchin' to a whole new level, stopping to scoop up nicely aged cow pies from a roadside field to take home for her garden. :-)
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #4243574

Now that is dedication!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2007
7:27 PM

Post #4243584

Her DH makes her put them in the trunk, LOL... but they are newlyweds, so he does pull over when she spots "a nice one."
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2007
7:28 PM

Post #4243587

Oh, she's got a keeper there!
broncbuster
Waxahachie, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2007
7:53 PM

Post #4243643

Skateboarders used to hang out around municiple buildings and parks looking for hand rails, inclines and other architectual structures on which they could perform stunts. Now they have prohibitive signs up at many places warning skaters of fines. I can see it now: POSTED
COLLECTION OF SEEDS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
VIOLATORS WILL BE PROSECUTED.
We better get 'em while we can!

Thanks for the excellent article!

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

November 29, 2007
7:56 PM

Post #4243652

How about 'You reap what you keep!'??
AngelG1111
Frisco, TX

November 29, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #4244014

The article was awesome!! I really enjoyed it. It made me laugh thinking about the ways I've tried to seed snatch this fall. While driving through Taco Bueno for lunch one day, I told the lady at the window that I was going to cut some of their dead flowers for them. She just shrugged and said "ok". The place was packed but I quickly got out my SS (seed snatching) kit (paper bags and perm sharpie) and went to work. I did get some strange looks from people as they passed me by. Oh well, I am now the proud owner of some "shades of Red" Helenium seeds!!

I have also done the 'act like you know what your doing here' thing to get some coneflower seeds from the Library. I even chat on my cell phone, or pretend to, while 'admiring' some flowers and collecting a few seeds. LOL

Thanks for the great article, makes me want to go look for some dead heads now though..
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2007
10:57 AM

Post #4256416

So good to hear that I'm not the only one who always carries a seedsnatching kit and puts her hubbie on the lookout while doing some seed hunting!

I think I may be ready for the Seedsnatchers Anonymous as I'm getting serious neck aches from looking out of the car to see if there's something to harvest out there...
svplantingfool
South Venice, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #4256442

It certainly is hard to see those seedpods when you're on the highway... You need a chauffeur!
Cathy
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2007
12:37 PM

Post #4256574

I watch the wildflowers bloom ~ stake their location out in my mind and then when they turn to seed, I snag them. Last summer there was a different coneflower I was watching. Didn't think it had been long enough. The roadway mowers got them before I did. Grrrrr!
HEVS4U
Teague, TX

December 4, 2007
3:55 PM

Post #4260441

When gathering seeds in an unexpected location, if you find a leaf near-by they make a nifty holder. Fold and wrap with dry grass to keep secure.

Put some dirt on the end of a cutting and wrap it with dried grass until you can get it to some water.

Don't let un-like minded people deter you from making this a beautiful planet.

It is the plant lovers destiny to move on and enjoy tea with mother earth in her garden.
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #4265718

What a greenhorn I am! It never occurred to me to snatch seeds in public or anywhere else. Critter, et al., today you have ruined me. Wheee! A whole new world.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5345547

I had to re-visit this article today, because I visited the Horticultural Center at the local university, and couldn't help "deadheading" a few flowers and slipping them into my pockets. The poor volunteers were obviously overwhelmed, and I had to do my part to help. . .

I also have baptisia seeds in my van cupholders, and miscellaneous gaillardia heads drying in the seed repository (called an ashtray by those so inclined) behind it. I have to accelerate gently to prevent the gaillardia from tumbling in with the baptisia, so in a roundabout way, seed-snatching has improved my gas mileage. Hey, we can save the planet while we make it beautiful, can't we?

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 31, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5347015

ROFL! I do like your term "seed repository" -- it definitely fits the function of that receptacle in my vehicle, also!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
loving this Dutchlady1 0 Nov 30, 2007 7:41 PM
seed snatchin' lobelialady 2 Mar 30, 2009 2:43 PM
Brings back memories! plantladylin 5 Nov 4, 2009 9:32 PM
Flower seeds Mamad2 1 Dec 3, 2007 3:59 PM
Collecting Seeds Noturf 2 Nov 2, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America