-
AuthorContent
melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 29, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #4242586

So what can I do to stop the bathtub faucet from leaking while the shower is on? Since it leaks the pressure through the shower head is diminished. Any advice?

Thanks, Mel
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

November 30, 2007
5:21 AM

Post #4245677

The diverter valve is bad, and either needs replaced or "re-packed".
The diverter valve "diverts" the water from the spout up to the shower head.

Depending on the age of your plumbing, and what it's made of, it's best to have a plumber do it for you...and it isn't necessarily a huge expense to have it repaired.

I have old galvanized plumbing, and this needs done about every two years...it's usually only about $60.00 to fix...and the majority of the cost is labor.

Without going into a detailed explanation, "repacking" is adding material to the inside of the valve to take up the space where the water is being "lost".
melsalz
Mooresville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 30, 2007
1:06 PM

Post #4246064

Thanks for your answer Jasper. My husband and I are quite the DIY'ers so we may attempt to fix it ourselves first. I just have to nudge him into doing it. Writing this was my first nudge. wink wink

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2007
3:13 PM

Post #4267762

How did it go?
I found this cool page of tools for plumbing http://www.creativehomeowner.com/index.php?pane=project&projectid=chplm101
Having been in some pretty old home, I have added the faucet seat wrench and the faucet seat reamer to my tool box. You might find you will need them for this, or it just might mean a new washer and packing.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America