Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Handyman: Extending your gas line

Communities > Forums > Handyman
bookmark
Forum: HandymanReplies: 7, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #4248508

I posted this in the furnace section but no bites. Our gas line comes to our house on the west side right next to the furnace/laundry room (gas clothes dryer). I want to bring the line across the house to the kitchen on the east side of our house. Our house in on a not too wide old city lot to make it clear it is not a real wide house. When the guy was hooking my dryer up, 3 yrs ago, he told me it would be $500-$1000 to bring it another 20 ft. over toward the west and 15 ft. north to the kitchen. Does that sound reasonable? He said it was the labor of bringing it thru the basement ceiling. Is bringing a line around the exterior of the house legal or do able? I need a new stove and really want gas but not at an extra $1000. thanks.
wrenwood
Deridder, LA

December 1, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4248579

No !
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #4248890

Is this a finished basement? It is a lot of work, threading iron pipes and all. Try getting some more estimates. I'd start with your gas supplier, see what they say.
anastatia
Vancouver, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2007
4:43 AM

Post #4249315

thanks claypa, it is a finished basement. Altho, the ceilings are those cardboard like tiles w/ holes in them. BTW, have you moved? I don't remember W Pottsgrove. And dear wrenwood, NO to the estimate, I presume. thank you.
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2007
2:08 PM

Post #4249901

No, it's part of the mysteries of Pennsylvania municipal government. I thought my town was in a borough, (and so did my neighbor on the town planning commission) but it's not. The mail says Pottstown. But everyone calls this place yet another name. So I threw in the towel and just used "Southeast, PA". Sometimes I post from Maryland, too.

You could do some of the work yourself - take down the ceiling and all. Some places, disposal of demolition debris is very expensive. You could probably get away with putting the ceiling tiles in your regular trash. I don't know if those are supposed to have asbestos or not, though.

Sometimes running pipes and wiring around existing stuff and ducts is a real challenge. He probably can't really give a firm price until he knows what's up there.

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2007
1:40 AM

Post #4255423

I have run gas line, myself. 20 feet is not too big a deal. Two pieces of 10' black pipe. Some sealant http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6141378 to coat the union and fittings. If you already have a fitting to connect to, the job could be a DIY. If you have to come off an elbow, or other joint where you need to cut pipe, it could be another story. Be sure to use soapy water and not a lighter to check the new connections. τΏτ
claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #4255501

Anastasia said it needs to go 20 feet west, and 15 feet north. Running that length of pipe through who knows what is behind that ceiling tile could easily be $500 worth of work. It might have to go through at least 15 floor joists, around existing plumbing, ductwork, who knows? There's probably a lot of cutting and threading involved.

PotEmUp

PotEmUp
Fremont, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 3, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4255539

Guess I need to clean my glasses. There is also a concern as to the sizing of the pipe to be used. How far is this from the meter? It might require a larger pipe to be run to the splice joint, so that a proper volume of gas can be delivered. Get a couple of bids.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America