Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gardener5
Cherokee, NC

December 1, 2007
12:34 PM

Post #4249714

I planted wildflower seeds this week. I had piles of small maple leaves . I came up with the idea to put the leaves on the newly planted seeds to keep heavy rains from beating them out of the ground. I plan to let the leaves stay on untill around Febuary. The leaves are six to seven inches deep. After thinking about this I don't know if this was the right thing to do. Someone please advise me.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #4249957

You did good! It will help protect your seed. Once you remove those lovely leaves, you should already be thinking about composting them, lots of lovely black gold!
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 1, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #4251380

Whether you did right, will all depend on your zone really, 6 or 7 inches of leaves is very deep for seeds to germinate. If you dont get really hard winter frosts, then you could have sown them directly into the soil and just covered them with enough soil to cover the seeds, not all, but most wild flowers need some cold weather to give germination at spring time, as the cold soil helps this to happen, some wild flower seeds lay dormant for a few years and then germinate. It might be that when you lift your leaves away, you will also remove a lot of your seeds, buy hey, that is what gardening is all about, you learn by trial and error, you just might have the prettiest garden show in your neighbourhood, now that would be worth the test eh.
Sometimes it is best for wild flowers to just scatter the seeds soon as real cold weather has past, that way, you have less loss of germination as you can actually see the tiny little seedlings as the come through and separate them or care for them better, but you have done the job now, so I think you really just have to wait see the results, if not a good idea, then you know not to try it again, if great germination, then you have achieved what you wanted, that's how all us gardeners learn, remember, if you see nothing by say, April/May, you still have time to resow some more seeds in the same area. good luck and let us know how it went. Best Wishes. WeeNel.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #4251392

Our weather has been so kinda "off the mark" lately. I'd say you've got a good chance of getting germination. You're south of me, but y'all been getting some really nasty ice storms the last few years.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2007
5:03 AM

Post #4252723

Wow, great tip!
gardener5
Cherokee, NC

December 2, 2007
11:55 AM

Post #4252979

Thanks everyone for the nice advise. I did plant the seeds in the soil. I put about 1/4 inch soil over them. I think I will feel better about it if I go out and very carefully take four or five inches of leaves off the seeds. I have the idea they will germinate better then. We have been having very hard freezes for around 3/4 of the month in November. The ground is thawed good at around noon. That sounds like it will work out better, don't you think ?
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2007
2:05 PM

Post #4253194

Yes, that does sound good. You can always compost those extra leaves, black gold in the making...:) Yes, I am obsessed with composting...LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America