-
AuthorContent
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 1, 2007
12:58 PM

Post #4249750

Passing on plants is a wonderful thing! Getting the kids involved, priceless!

Grandma's Peonies are beautiful Cathy. Sweet article!

debnes

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2007
2:05 PM

Post #4249890

You 'get' it. Some people never do.

Sometimes it's not so much about what you plant, but 'why' you plant.

Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 1, 2007
2:56 PM

Post #4250080

What a lovely article and the Peony is such a special pass-a-long. Brings back such sweet memories :)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 1, 2007
3:48 PM

Post #4250244

I think peonies are the quintessential pass along plant. A good
friend of mine has been searching for the name of the peony that
she got from her grandmother. It looks like yours. I have some
at my house now - they were here, growing out of the grass, living
through neglect.

A sweet article! Thank you.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 1, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #4250286

Very nice, I enjoyed reading it.
nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2007
3:20 AM

Post #4252456

I really enjoyed reading this. I have something similar -- just an ordinary forsythia but it was started for me by my grandmother -Nana- when we bought our first home. We took cuttings from the bush when we moved out of that house 27 years later and those have grown into a large bush where we now live. I have cuttings started for my son who just bought a house last spring and my daughter who is in the process of building a home -- and I have a little grandson now who calls me Nana.

We all refer to the forsythia as "the Nana bush."
jwwf
Yanceyville, NC

December 3, 2007
11:47 AM

Post #4256467

How wonderful to wake up this morning and find a link to your post in my in-box. My mom had just given me a division from her peonies a couple of months ago and I was thrilled to receive that as a housewarming gift. That division came from a plant given to her by her late second husband who had nurtured them from a division given to him by his mother. There's some lovely family history around that plant that goes back several generations. This plant is also special to me because, while peonies are fairly common here in the Piedmont, this particular bloom isn't. I'm really looking forward to spring to see how well they wintered over.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 3, 2007
2:21 PM

Post #4256838

Thank you all, I'm happy you enjoyed my story.
fancyvan
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

September 4, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #7026617

I have two peonies which came from the garden of an elderly Aunt. No name on the herbaceous one so I have christened it 'Aunt Pat'
mammaw_12
Lanexa, VA

September 7, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #7036907

Cathy - your 'Peony With A Past' article really struck home. I, too, have pink peonies, and one clump of white ones, my grandmother gave me around 1962! She had them many years before I received mine. When Grandma Gracie died, and the house was going to be unoccupied for awhile, I dug up all I could find. I have shared some with special friends and family members; and, I can't help but wonder if they are being taken care of . . . they are a part of the family. I call mine "Grandma's Peonies." I also transplanted her special rose bush.
By the way, I have a daughter named Cathy.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 3, 2014
6:20 AM

Post #9803932

I know this was originally a while ago but I too have my grandmother's Peonies. They are just as pretty as they were in my grandmothers garden. I also move with me a Wisteria from my great grandmother's. In the house I have a Christmas Cactus that was my great grandmother's and a Hoya my dad got as a hospital gift when he had cancer surgery.

Now lest you think I'm a youngster my self, I am now 71 and hope these plants will go on to new homes when the time comes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Peony With a Past Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
peony plants vandyke26 6 Sep 7, 2009 4:49 PM
My lost peonies and lilacs andriabj 1 Sep 7, 2009 3:00 PM
Keep up the tradition fiddletownsmith 1 Sep 8, 2009 3:52 AM
Another Ohio girl Virgi34v 0 Sep 9, 2009 1:10 AM
Your article on Bluebird Trail Sunnyasalark 0 Mar 10, 2010 4:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America