Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Winter Sowing: experiment: window box planted now?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 7, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 1, 2007
5:45 PM

Post #4250659

While filling containers yesterday I had extra potting mix. I spied my plastic window box liner and decided to do an experiment. I filled it with fresh soil, and popped it into my plastic bin with a lid. Today I'm going through my seeds to decide what I want in the box. If this works, all I will have to do in spring is take it out of the bin and it will be ready to go. If this works I will be picking up more liners when they go on sale. Has anyone tried this before? C4
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #4254046

Well, a couple of years ago I wintersowed seeds in my patio pots and containers and covered them with plastic and it worked just fine...slow to bloom in the summer, but I had other pots in place until they were ready...
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #4254080

I did the same thing as tabasco - I winter sowed dwarf Morning Glories in patio containers. I covered them with really heavy opaque plastic (not saran wrap), wrapped a rope around the pot to keep the plastic on, and poked holes in the plastic. Worked like a charm.

However, once the seedlings got to be tall, it was still too cold to expose them (end of April), so I ended up building them a little teepee with some 1" x 1" pieces of wood and plastic until it was warmer.

This is the teepee...

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2007
7:42 PM

Post #4254085

And this is what they look liked later in the summer (pardon my toes)...

Thumbnail by Grow_Jo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 2, 2007
8:14 PM

Post #4254239

Grow_Jo: when did you sow? I realize you're in a colder zone than I am, but I'm curious nonetheless.
I have done the teepee too, but more to keep the excess rain out as we aren't hurting for that here.

Cathy - I have often not had time to deal with all the containers in late autumn. I do remove the top few inches of soil, mix that with leaves & materials that are on hand, replace & they're ready the following spring. I start seeds in these in late winter. Otherwise they get perennials in them for overwintering, which has been successful, so far. No bin to put them in, but the teepee works great. If you run out of room in the bin, you might try the teepee.
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2007
9:24 PM

Post #4254563

Hi Katye,
I sowed those Morning Glories on March 30th. They germinated on April 14th. You lucky ducks in warmer zones could probably do them much earlier...

I think this whole winter sowing thing is about experimentation anyway; if I were you Cathy, I would just go ahead and give it a try...

Joanne
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 2, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #4254928

Thanks for the encouragement, someday this week I'll plant them and cross my fingers! C4
tabasco
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 3, 2007
8:40 PM

Post #4257901

Pretty pic of your pot, Grow Jo! The plastic cover idea is a nice way to get started earlier. I had to wait a long time for my MGs to flower.

Cathy, I won't be planting my morning glories until closer to the last frost date for our area-- around April next spring. That's when I wintersow all my tender annuals (other than the ones I want to bloom earlier in the summer which I start indoors under lights.) because I don't rig up a cloche as Grow Jo does. The plastic cloche will no doubt help get a jump start on spring, too.

I start my wintersown perennials in January or February. Many gardeners make a first limited sowing of perennials seeds around December 21 as a kind of celebration of the solstice, but I personallly find it easier and more convenient and less chance for disasters if I wintersow the perennials out in February and the annuals out in April and May...

I will be interested in your results!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America