Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Flowers: Has anyone used these flowers?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 215
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2007
5:12 AM

Post #4252747

Will use this thread just as a starting off point for me. I'll have plenty more to ask about as landscape progresses.

Painted Daisey http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/89934/ one I'm using is 24", long stemmed shades of rose and scarlet
Vinca http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/185/ using mixed shades of pink and white ones
Maiden Pink http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56668/
English Daisey no plant files image
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2007
5:25 AM

Post #4252768

Is your English daisy one of these? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=bellis&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2007
1:11 PM

Post #4253054

Cheap seed packets rarely are specific about which ones you have but mine does look like some of those!

I guess PlantFiles isn't foolproof. I typed "english daisey" in the common name section, same as I did for the other 3 seed varieties and all but the english daisey came up. Strange?

Thank-you for the education!
shebs45
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2007
11:30 PM

Post #4278488

Hi,

I have Maiden Pink "Brilliant", and I really like it. I bought mine as plants a couple of years ago.

By the way, I think the reason you didn't get anything for English Daisy is because you misspelled daisy (no "e"). (I hope I don't sound like I'm being critical.) Apparently PlantFiles is pretty fussy regarding spelling. You know the part where it says "DO YOU MEAN..."? You'd think it would offer the correct spelling as an alternative since it's only one letter off, but it doesn't. Instead it offers English Iris and Kingfisher Daisy as alternatives. Go figure...(I hope I'm making sense.)

Sharon

This message was edited Dec 9, 2007 6:16 PM
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #4279200

Yep, perfect sense, thank-you!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 30, 2008
10:57 PM

Post #4475251

I have grown the vinca once from seed. Don't remember any details on how I did it, but i doubt I was incredilby lucky. Probably fairly easy.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #4481950

The vincas do very well in sun/part sun here, Tir. Just make sure their feet stay dry - a raised bed or well draining pot. Dianthus (the pink) does well, too. I haven't tried either of the daisies.
kmm44
Dayton, OH

March 11, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #4649401

Several years ago I started painted daisies from seed and transplanted them in the front by our mailbox at the curb, they did well for years, but now have all but disappeared. I am going to start a new batch and get them established again. They are so pretty and i like the early blooms.
I had English daisies, but they lasted only two seasons.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America