Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Landscaping: Want to block out view from neighbors!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 23, Views: 259
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catiejo
Owingsville, KY

December 2, 2007
7:30 PM

Post #4254038

I just bought a house I'm completely remodeling and have terrible neighbors! They are not very nice and have a messy lawn to say the least. I would like to find some nice tall trees to block the view along the fence line (about 60ft long). I definitely do not want something with invasive roots. The taller, the better! I was considering 6ft vinyl privacy fence at first, but I'd really rather have something taller and green. The drive is 6ft from the property line, so I cannot have something that gets too wide. Please help..
liebkostdrache
Ashland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2007
8:44 PM

Post #4254369

What about a cypress (here's a link) where they sell them, don't know the rep on them, but I have seen these effectively as a block :) They work *great* :)

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/LeylandCypress.htm

Or a hedge of some sort? I don't know of any fast growing ones myself, as I'm pretty much beginning from scratch with my own landscaping projects this coming spring.

Good luck to you! :)
iriswren
De Pere, WI

December 2, 2007
11:26 PM

Post #4254937

Emerald Green Arborvitae may work for you. They are inexpensive, relatively fast growing and won't require much if any pruning for width.
jackfruit
Santa Barbara, CA

December 3, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #4256072

Bamboo mon. It's the only way to go!!!!! Unless you like to spend 10's of thousands of dollars on trees and wait 5-25 years for them to grow. Then plant redwoods and cedars!! I have done all of the above, and like I said, bamboo is the only way to go. It looks killer too! I have 16 different varieties; greens goldens, blacks, pinks and reds. Some grow almost 10 feet a year! And thick screen too.
liebkostdrache
Ashland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2007
1:31 PM

Post #4256697

I agree with jackfruit, since I also love bamboo and have it in my yard, but be careful of bamboo that doesn't grow in clumps, but grows with runners! It'll spread like wildfire and go places you don't want it to go (like under the grumpy neighbor's fence LOL)...I know..I'm dealing with a bit of that now, and will have to transplant it to a "safer" location in my yard in the spring.

jackfruit...where'd you get black and red bamboo? I've been searching for black, but haven't found any locally yet. How spendy is it? I know up here, it's frightfully expensive for even very small containers of golden bamboo.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

December 4, 2007
12:10 AM

Post #4258588

Till you can decide and really research what is best, what about a line of trellis fence, much cheaper I would think, then you can grow climbers along it, Roses, Clematis, etc, then you get the benefit of all the colour, and some privacy. be really careful with Bamboo, you need to plant some of these with a restrictive barrier buried into the soil to contain the root run or before you know it, you could end up with a whole yard full of those tough roots out of control, there are really lovely ones that are not so bad with the roots, but you need to look out a good garden book for the best kind to grow, Good luck. WeeNel.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2007
12:48 AM

Post #4258733

I agree with WeeNel, watch the bamboo. After spending 5 years digging the crap out of our yard and septic system, I'm not a big fan. It was in the neighbor's yard, they moved, new one's moved in and they were happy either, since it was crumbling the foundation of their house. Not good stuff in less you can barrier it.
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #4259084

-Black Bamboo - not as invasive, plant a good distance away from the propertly line to let it fill in and incase it spreads too much.

-Leyland Cypress - very nice. although my have taken FOREVER to get inches on them, but then again, mine are in much poorer clay soil down wind towards the neighbors

-Rhondendrens bushes (spelling?)- related to Azalea family

-Rose of Sharon - fills in nicely to

-Ordinarly maples tree saplings and pine tree saplings as a tree buffer area. Usually the local forestrey service gives these away for free at the state fair. You can just plant the seeds that grow wild.

-Indian Hawthorn bush

-Mimosa Tree- fast grower in, about 5 years very tall and mature

-Privet bush

-If you don't mind seasonal screenery, tomatoe plants staked in cages in a double rows

- Lantans bush - Miss Huff - hardy and perrenial in zone 7

- Knock Out Roses - pinks, reds

-Butterfly bushes - attracts butterflys, perrenial, semi evergreen where I am.

Good luck. Most all of these plants I have grown to do the same thing with my own nosey neighbors. :0)

r30

This message was edited Dec 3, 2007 10:04 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2007
3:31 AM

Post #4259191

Mimosas are very invasive in much of the country, I definitely wouldn't recommend them. And they have very wide spreading canopies, so they're not necessarily the best for screening along property lines even if they weren't invasive. I found it here listed as a "sigificant threat" in Kentucky: http://www.se-eppc.org/ky/list.htm Some species of privet are also rather invasive so I'd be careful of those too.

Rebecca--if you've got any, you might want to get rid of your Mimosas, it's listed as a severe threat (worst possible rating) in North Carolina http://www.ncwildflower.org/invasives/invasives.htm And there are several privets on the list for NC as well.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2007
4:08 AM

Post #4259313

You might also contact your local extension agent for suggestions and advice. He/she should be able to advise you on what grows best in your area and is the most disease resistant as well.
I'm surprised at the comment of a slow growing Leyland Cypress. In my area, you don't want to stand over the hole. LOL They are unfortunately beginning to suffer from some serious disease and insect problems.
rebecca30
Cary, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #4261118

hmm. It may be too late now as it is tall than my ranch house. hehe. I bought it at a local nursery. Fortunately, it's in a open lawn situation, so I just end up mulching stuff that never gets to seed much. :)

r30
catiejo
Owingsville, KY

December 5, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #4264014

I've been asking around and someone suggested Canadian Hemlock. Any thoughts? What is the root system like?

This message was edited Dec 5, 2007 1:16 PM
liebkostdrache
Ashland, OR
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #4267082

here's a link with some info :) hope it helps :)

http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/treeselector/detail_plant.cfm?PlantID=279

Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
7:47 PM

Post #4317214

Has anyone suggested the thuja green giants yet? Are they prone to spider mites?

We are thinking of putting some of those in.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #4317298

Thuja have few pest problems and are very disease resistant. One of the neighbor's up the road has them lining part of the front of his property and they are stunning. They make the pines around here look pretty bedraggled.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #4318041

LOL doccat5! I am thrilled to hear they make the pines look bedraggled as the area I live people LOVE the huge pines!!!!! I am so glad we don't have them in our yard---and given the space that's a good thing. A thuja for me it 'tis.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
1:21 AM

Post #4318046

They really are a deep, deep rich emerald green ( I'm sure each one has it's very own leprechaun hiding in the branches somewhere) I not only love the color, the branches look more feathery? Not stiff and spiked out, more graceful looking. Beautiful trees.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4318051

You are the best commercial for them! THANK-YOU again.

Now...to find a nursery that actually stocks them. Do you know about their growth rate?
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #4318054

YES! Super sweet---the growth rate according to reviews can be 5' a year!!!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/80097/
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4318056

In other words, once you plant it...DO NOT stand over the hole? LOL
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4318057

bwahahahahahaha!
pandora125
Symsonia, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #4421207

i hope my thujas make the winter. i babied them through this summers drought and planted them in the ground recently (last week) i think they have already grown since transplanting. :D
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #4421217

They are such beautiful trees. One of the neighbors up the road has them and they are so outstanding, deep, deep emerald green. They just pop!
pandora125
Symsonia, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 18, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #4421264

i have seen them around and yes the foliage is so nice and feathery.. grow babies grow! i get the feeling that i could start new ones with cuttings.
Vicki

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America