Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Winter Sowing: 3 Strikes; Yer Out! -What are you giving up on?

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 6, Views: 175
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Susan_C
Alameda, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2007
7:51 PM

Post #4254123

For me, it is Spilanthes, "Eyeball Plant" and any members of the Mimulus, 'Monkey Flower" genus. I can get them to germinate fine, but then they just sit at the first true leaves stage and never grow. I've tried both the Spilanthes and various kinds of Monkey Flowers 3 times, with no results, so I think I'm giving up. (Unless someone can give me a sure-fire tip. -LOL)
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 2, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #4254587

well, I winter sowed for the first time last year - Thought I was a genius 'cause something germinated in EVERY container. However, some of the stuff turned out to be weeds! (actually a lot did! lol)

This year I will be a lot more aware - and discriminating. s
Grow_Jo
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 2, 2007
9:34 PM

Post #4254593

It was only my first year this year too, and I had about 4 things out of 54 not germinate. I'm not giving up on anything yet though; there are too many variables: temperature, snow cover, moisture, etc. to figure out in just one year what positively won't work...

Joanne
merryma
Auburn, MA
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #4276974

Delphiniums and Larkspur. I can't get the Delph to sprout to save my life and I can't seems to keep the Larkspur alive once I plant it out. After a few years, you'd think I'd give up...well, I have given up on the Delphs, but I'm sure if I can just get the Larkspur in the right place, it'll survive. Oh, and Alyssum...I see people posting about getting tons of it...I get a few plants, but that's it.
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 9, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #4277097

Merryma~ do you have a moist area with afternoon shade then filtered late pm light? I was advised to tranplant my tiny W/S seedlings into an area like that.. Last year was the first year I ever had success with growing Larkspur. Here's one that I also grew in a container under a pine.

Thumbnail by garden6
Click the image for an enlarged view.

merryma
Auburn, MA
(Zone 5b)

December 15, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #4298299

That is a beautiful flower! Unfortunately, most of my garden gets morning shade and afternoon sun...which keeps the house cool, but isn't the best for shade plants. I did start a new garden last year in the back on the north side of my house, so it gets mostly shade...just blazing late (very late) afternoon sun. That's the one place I haven't tried Larkspur. Maybe that's the spot it was waiting for. ;)
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2007
12:16 PM

Post #4319094

Aquilegia"Roman Bronze" I've still got the 3rd and last pot of seeds sewn back in late spring. I dumped the first two out in flowerbeds in hopes of some sprouting.

P

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America