-
AuthorContent
atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2007
2:52 AM

Post #4255736

My DW brought a single pup home from work about 18 months ago. I think it is a Billbergia. This is the only bromeliad I have yet, but I'm fascinated by them. This is the first bloom on this plant, but there are about 5 other offsets that have flower stalks developing. I'm intrigued by the bright green in the flowers.

Thumbnail by atenkley
Click the image for an enlarged view.

atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2007
2:55 AM

Post #4255748

...this shows the anthers and stigma. Are Billbergias self fertile? I'd love to raise them from seed.

Thumbnail by atenkley

atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2007
2:56 AM

Post #4255759

This was one of the flower buds about 4 days before it opened. It rained the night before...

Thumbnail by atenkley

atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #4255776

This shows the full infloresence about 5 days before the first buds opened.

Thumbnail by atenkley

atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #4255835

...and finally, here is a view of some of the other areas of the plant. Last winter I brought it inside, but I am reluctant to bring it in with the flowers developing. I'm concerned about the low humidity inside. Will that be a problem with the flower development? How hardy might this plant be?

Arlan

Thumbnail by atenkley

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2007
7:37 PM

Post #4257767

Looks like a billbergia nutans there. I have quite a few myself. I've never grown bromeliads from seed, but they pup so readily I've never needed to. In fact, I had so many of that billbergia I mailed some off to other DG members, and I still have plenty left for myself. Mine generally bloom in February here in FL; I've been looking forward to it. I'm not sure how hardy they are but I've never had problems. I just throw a sheet over them if we have a frost warning. The hunidity here is pretty low the time of year they bloom. If you're worried, just take some pebbles or rocks, set it in the container the pot is sitting in, and keep some water in it. Good luck!

Melanie
atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 4, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #4259305

Thanks Melanie,

I appreciate the ID. I'm surprised at the various plant types within this species. From what I have read this evening... the most common B. nutans must be with long narrow solid green leaves, while mine has shorter, wider leaves with spots. Do growing conditions determine plant types to this great extent? Could it be a hybrid that has maintained the flower form of the species? I'm not that familiar with the primary distinguishing features between the various species...is it the flowers?

Thanks again for you contribution to my education! - Arlan
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2007
2:33 PM

Post #4267593

There are hundreds of Billbergia hybrids, so there is no way to really know.

Dave.
atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #4270305

Thanks Dave, I have rapidly learned the same thing in my search for a potential match. Now I am just enjoying it for what it is, and if an identification comes later. that's great. I'll be adding to the Bromeliads I have, particularly those that are hardy in my area.

Arlan
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #4412981

atenkley, it sure looks like one of the ones I have with the spots and the coloring of the leaves. Yours may be this one:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/126929/
atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #4424012

Thanks htop, it certainly favors your plant. This plant only gets about 12" tall...is that considered "mini" for a Billbergia?

Arlan
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #4424244

Arlan, mine is about 12 - 14 inches tall and is considered a "mini". My other billbergia nutans are much taller and the leaves "droop" more. The leaves on the "mini" stand a bit more upright. I love the blooms on these and always am so excited when they start to bloom.
atenkley
Robertsdale, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2008
1:25 PM

Post #4428132

I've enjoyed his one very much this year. I was very surprised and pleased at the beauty of the blooms...the color combinations. Nice to know what it "probably" is! This is my first bromeliad while living here. I'm surprised at how hardy it is. It has survived some pretty cold weather! I think I'll be adding to the collection...

I did bring it in last night as it got to the mid twenties...don't need to push the envelop!

Arlan
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #4428723

Arlan, I will take some more photographs of my plant's leaves for you.as soon as I can figure out how to use my new camera. That way you are able to make a better comparison. It was in the mid-twenties here too and I brought mine in also. I left the other larger plants out and they appear to be fine.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #4520797

Just thought I'd post this for you. More pics of Queen's Tears on an old DG thread. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/422061/
That is just a gorgeous plant. I hope to have one someday, I've looked at pics of this one for some time and drooled and drooled, lol. In the next few years we are planning a move to CA, so I'll wait till then and hopefully be able to grow them outdoors with less fuss.

Good luck with this, your DW sure brought you a dandy!
Heather

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America