Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Do you have mini collections? Please share # 2

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 86, Views: 780
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
3:46 AM

Post #4255958

New thread so dial-up people can view also.
Bernie

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
3:54 AM

Post #4255978

Now for some pictures.
A couple things I got a bargain basement prices. So low I will never part with them
An original 1921 Coca-Cola tray, a salesman sample walking plow, & a 1950's Japan toy car in original box. Never has been played with. Paid $25.00 total for them. Together they are worth about $1000.00
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2007
4:00 AM

Post #4255994

Cool! More collections ~ No offense taken on the new thread. I always feel jinxed when I start a new one ~ glad you did!

Please keep the photos coming...

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #4255997

My wife collects cats, so you will see some in each picture.

jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

December 3, 2007
4:03 AM

Post #4256005

So thats what an original Coca-Cola tray looks like! I have seen so many repros. It is beautiful. You hit the jackpot!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #4256014

We like old wood furniture. I have 2 of these chairs.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:15 AM

Post #4256031

Lots of odds & ends in her. The hutch is old, too.
The chair in the cats picture is part of our dining room set, 1938.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:22 AM

Post #4256050

An old oak chair. Under the Christmas cactus are 3 Mahogany staking tables, & to the right is a older plant stand/occasional table in maple.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:30 AM

Post #4256080

Our Christmas tree is decorated with older ornaments.
The things on the shelf are part of my wife's Japan things.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:38 AM

Post #4256106

More Japan things including the black chest. The corner stand is very unique. More cats in the wall shelf. The jewelery box was brought from Vietnam by a veteran returning from duty. I got it an auction.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2007 10:40 PM

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:44 AM

Post #4256130

Bluebird picture. Everyone wants to have one. Colored are rare.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:50 AM

Post #4256147

Mission Oak cigar humidor. It has a lined box with a inner door, almost like a small icebox.
Would be from early 1900.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #4256158

Ever have a "one of a kind" ? This chest was made from wide pine boards. Each side & top & bottom are one board each. The copper hinges & bands are hand made. Inside is a label, hand written & signed by the man that made it in 1910.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
5:11 AM

Post #4256189

And for you china people. I got this set at an estate sale. The owner hand painted this herself. That was a popular craft in the twenties. There were schools that taught this art & then the young girls would work for a company painting china. The blanks were imported from France, Germany, Bavaria & other places. Most hand painted signed china was actually painted in USA.
This set has blanks with about 6 or 7 different back stamps. All pieces are signed by
L. A. Z.
I would guess this is a one of a kind set.

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 3, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #4256705

Hi all, this thread moves along so fast ! Glad you went to another thread Bernie! Love the handpainted china! Another passion...Kristi, i don't use my Pottery Guild pieces at all...in fact i use paper plates...lol! Honest! it shocks people, i should be more greenminded! Great collections Bernie...O - Kristi, i don't even want to think when i move (in 4 years)...i will transport most of my stuff myself in my mini-van.-many trips!..i don't trust movers...as you all know...our treasured "stuff" isn't always replaceable! Will try to post more of my hutches..(i have 6!! embarassed grin) jada, i have too been selling more stuff i thought i wouldn't part with, in my antique mall space...i have over collected for sure! sue
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2007
1:40 PM

Post #4256720

Nice photos of your collections Bernie ~ I loved the cat collections too ~ be sure to tell your wife... * ) I was fascinated to realize the vintage toy car was battery powered. That was a "swank" toy in the '50s/

Sue ~ I don't envy your move but hope the new location will be an excellent showplace for your delightful collections.
toniwill
Natural Bridge, VA

December 3, 2007
1:48 PM

Post #4256739

countrygardens, What's a bluebird picture? Yours is adorable, but I'm not sure what it refers to--a bird in the tree?
thanks,
toni

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 3, 2007
2:15 PM

Post #4256818

There are various "Bluebird" pictures. This is the most popular. There is always a bluebird in the picture. They were used on calenders years ago, so lots were black & white.

The car has never had the battery in it. It has a little policeman to drive it & the hood rolls over with a machine gun in the ready position. It also turns & goes the other way when it runs into something. No computer chip needed, LOL!

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #4256846

Dh would lust after that one. He has tons of model cars ~

and real ones...

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2007
2:29 PM

Post #4256867

and more real ones...

Thumbnail by podster

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 3, 2007
3:37 PM

Post #4257126

Uh, Kristi, those cars hardly qualify as mini-collections? lol...neat! That is my dh's passion too...it keeps him in the garage and out of trouble! sue
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 3, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #4257208

ok, i am waiting for social security to call...so i have some time..(probably alot of time!! lol!) here is one hutch...it was made in England, from old pine wood...but is not an antique..it is huge, but i have managed to fill it! Most of what you see is English in origin...i love Royal Winton chintz and have collected for years...also the small E. china florals..there are some R. Doultons, next to Made In Japan..german, american tole tray flanked by russian painted trays (new). Some california ladies too...as you can see i like a minimal way of decorating...try to remember i have been a collector before a dealer...and have been doing this for 30 plus years...dusting all this is a pain, but i wouldn't part ...yet...with any of it! sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 3, 2007
4:11 PM

Post #4257218

Another view of my excesses...i collect "skirt holder's" art deco ladies..which i will show you in the future...as this is so overwhelming...you can see a couple in this photo...i love china ladies! my hubby says i collect "old lady" things...he's right...i am near "old ladyhood"! Very girly and flowery stuff! & i love it! heehee...sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 3, 2007
4:14 PM

Post #4257229

One more, i don't want to put you all to sleep...it is overwhelming when people see my home..i always apologize at all the stuff!! i look at it as "inventory ready to go", only it never goes anywhere, being a gardener, i love the floral english chintz patterns..the bone china bouquets go so nicely with the plates! sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 3, 2007
4:32 PM

Post #4257287

Wow! You both have such nice collections, I can't begin to comment on all things interesting to me. Will have to go back later and "digest" the individual pics! And I'm going to have questions...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #4257493

Sue ~ my eyeballs could get tired looking at your gorgeous collections but I never would. Very nice and I really love your display cabinets. They set them off nicely.

BTW~ DH would disagree with you on his car collection being mini... He wants MORE! lol
toniwill
Natural Bridge, VA

December 3, 2007
6:59 PM

Post #4257678

Just lovely, Sue!
toni
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

December 3, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #4257693

Oh Sue
You have such an eye for beauty. What a wonderful display.It all looks so well put together. I'm sure your store attracted many visitors. Love the chintz.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 4, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #4258581

Thankyou all! My antique mall booth...is super packed like these hutches...because of the overwhelming amount of stuff...(from my shop to the small booth), I tried to organize it a bit! In the interest of selling...you can make a 2 dollar item look like a 20 dollar item...or make a 20 dollar item look like a 2 dollar item..if you don't take care to do some rearranging, dusting, cleaning...
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 4, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #4258604

Here is another hutch (english oak)..a Welsh cupboard, this one is from around the turn of the century...more english, italian, probably japan in there too...it is a dark wood...i loved the turned mouldings...

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 4, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4258629

A closeup of items...i'm not too obsessive am I? it will all be sold in the future...Teapot is not old, and the English egg carrier, is missing it's little cups...so i handpainted wooden eggs as a lark to fit in the indents...some Lefton made in Japan heart-shaped trinket boxes...an old Talcum powder container, still has it's old talc in it still...just liked it...

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #4258651

Absolutely excuisite (sp). My collections are what is called primitive. These are so beautiful. Who would care if they are old or brand new. Wonderful.

LouC
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 4, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #4258667

One more closeup of top shelf of the cupboard...as i liked "Crinoline Ladies" Sadler, the English teapot makers, made little Crinoline ladies in the shape of teapots...i wanted to collect each one in the colors they made...I only have two right now...i may someday bid on a pink one and the light green one...these are authentic...there are many copies and reproductions on ebay i have learned...different variations, plain ones, etc..lady in center is from Italy...i will stop now...too much collecting...can't stop...but i sure have slowed down..and believe it or not, liquidated much...

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 4, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #4258689

Thanks Lou! I love primitives too...but china and pottery is my passion...i honestly wish i could go completely comtemporary!! Just one or two well placed objects...i so admire my friends restraint and good taste when i enter their homes...but then i get ready to bring some of these items to my shop, and i can't do it!! lol...they are like old friends by now...(many, many, friends!) chuckle...sue
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4258772

I've really not even seen these. The chintz is the only thing I am familiar with. I could get rid of all my other collections and start here very easily. Don't part with them until you absolutely have to. wish I could blow up the pictures where I could see even more detail.

christi
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #4262651

I just caught up after being way, way, way behind. Bernie and weedsgalore you guys positively made me drool on my keyboard. I haven't gotten all my stuff back out since Handsome Man and I got married and moved into the new house 2 1/2 years ago. Maybe after Christmas. I miss the antiques and collectibles that are still boxed up.

I have to say I'm really impressed with you folks' displays. I don't know how you do it. Mine always end up looking like a hodgepodge. Some people just have the knack, I guess. :-)

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2007
3:48 AM

Post #4262828

Somebody else's always looks better than our own. Ours is just tossed in the hutch with no rhyme or reason. Well maybe Bertha did really arrange it!
I buy it for resale & she gets it into the house. My daughter will never let it go either, so no resale on this stuff, even as an estate sale.
I have tons of stuff boxed up that I set up at shows now & then.
But it is so much fun!!
Bernie
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2007
4:01 AM

Post #4262870

Quoting: But it is so much fun!!
Is the shopping the fun part ~ searching for the treasures to buy?
McGlory
Southeast, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 5, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4262876

I love going through boxes and touching forgotten treasures again. That's fun. Shopping is fun. Having people over that admire the treasures is fun. Going through the hutch with my sisters is fun. IT'S ALL FUN!!!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2007
4:08 AM

Post #4262889

Yes, yes. Fun, fun , fun!
Auctions used to be fun, now with all the E-Bay people not fun.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2007
4:11 AM

Post #4262900

A brother does the MN farm auctions. He says it is the big city antiques dealers that drive him nuts.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4262938

Who is your brother ? I might know him.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2007
12:42 PM

Post #4263405

He lives up in the New Ulm area ~ we grew up north of there near Winthrop. He says he goes further west to the farm auctions now since the city dealers have taken over. He says you can recognize them by the "rides" they slide in on. LOL His passion is old farm tools, vintage tractors and equipment. I think I could enjoy those farm auctions were I still in that area.

He found an old Fairbanks Morris platform scale complete with all the weights ~ cheap ~ for me. We grew up playing with one like it that Dad used on the farm. I always wanted one. I wanted to restore it and have a bathroom large enough to use it instead of the common scales. Unfortunately, our baths are too small so it sits on an enclosed porch and I (and my dogs) use it. Still love it. Not the caliber of antiques y'all have but more nostalgia antiques or primitives...
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 5, 2007
1:34 PM

Post #4263557

hey all, in answer to your question Kristi, i think the "hUNT" is the most fun...you guys know how it is...early in the morning with your flashlight, while it is still dark, at your favorite antique or flea mkt. outdoor show!! Giving shifty eyed glances at the other dealers...not wanting them to scoop your incredible find of the day!! waiting as the people unpack, getting ready to grab something...Seeing something you collect...coming out of a box..wait there it is...that perfect piece to complete or add to your collection..you know you happened to see it for 200.00 bucks or more, IN THE BOOK!!!!!...you got it in your hands,(there are no other nosy dealers around of course) and you ask the question...how much? And the vendor says...uh, $5.00, but i will take less?...ahhhh, such bliss...you give the people $5.00, one wouldn't look this gift horse in the mouth? And quickly scuttle away..like the big OLD spider you are?! You look at this figurine that you know books high!!! And say to yourself...what a rush!!! Dang!! I am so GOOD at this!!!!! Then morning dawns...and you happily look over your treasure again...only to find out the neck was NEATLY broken off and cunningly glued back together...heeheeh...a true story..more times than i care to admit!!! lol...sue

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 5, 2007
2:22 PM

Post #4263705

How true!

I live about 30 miles straight south of New Ulm. I went to one auction in New Ulm, that was enough for me, they got way to much money there! There were 2 dealers there that apparently didn't like each other. Because anything good that was held up the two of them would bid it up to & sometimes over it's retail value. Is that dumb or what.
I like to at least double my money.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 5, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #4264866

i do terrible at auctions...i agree usually retail or annoying "other" dealers crank up bidding...to double is what most of us try to do...it is getting more difficult for sure! one more "hunting story"...went to a flea mkt. in the dark with my flashlight, found 6 really nice english bone china teacups and saucers,( i knew this since i shined my flashlight on the bottom of the saucers)..felt around the rims, and edges, no chips..(remember it is dark now). The vendor sold me them for $10.00 for all! I always sold these nicely for about 12.00 to 16.00 each! At the time they were a sure seller...(before ebay!). I was so pleased...sun comes up and every single saucer didn't match the cup!!!! Colors & patterns were not a bad match, so you wouldn't think to check! I didn't return to that vendor, as i was too embarassed..to admit what a rookie thing i had done! lol...oh well...sue
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #4265450

I'm not a dealer, or collector...rather an inheritor... to boxes of "stuff." I did like the perfume bottles. Have a bowl of stoppers too...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #4265453

And another shelf...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 5, 2007
11:12 PM

Post #4265457

last one...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4265559

ooooohhhh. wonderful.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 6, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4266152

Big bubbles...those are great...you have some pressed glass there, perfume bottles from the late 30's early 40's...some "half-dolls" some are pincushions, others are clothes brushes...love the little green possibly powder holder or pin holder doll? From the 20's and the 30's...I see many atomizers from the 50's...the gold crackle cased glass atomizer is neat...as is the green one, which may be a DeVilbiss? I think i miss spelled that...All the blue glass (cobalt) perfume items are from "Evening In Paris", which was made in the 40's and 50's and sold in local drug stores/gift shops...kids would buy mom a set for the holiday.s..you can still find them with the original perfume and powders still in the items...pee-yew..to the colognes, usually it has turned by now...a very nice collection. Your pressed satin glass trinket box is quite old.possibly turn of the century or early 20's. You probably know al l this? The red decanter in the first pic, looks like bohemian or german cut to clear ruby glass, with etched grape leaves? neat stuff! sue
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2007
4:08 AM

Post #4266590

Thanks for I.D.s. No, I didn't know what most were. Had thought I'd keep the perfume bottles on a mirrored tray in guest bath...until I dusted all a few times. Decided they'd sit in cabinet instead. I remember Evening in Paris bottles from Woolworth's! I would buy it for my mother for gifts when I was small, and she would tell me she was "saving it for special occasions." Translation...never gonna wear it... I started to discard them, but I got rid of so much before I figured out why my aunt kept it.
So many things she saved were odd...like someone's travel diary from New Mexico to Chicago for the world's fair. Had costs for gas and tire replacements, food, and lodging for four. I loved reading thru it, but don't think it would be anything anyone else would want. I have several shoeboxes of penny postcards from one lady's collection...from being a young girl, to her husband sending cards home from the War. And a cardstock bustle dress pattern, complete with instructions. Nothing as pretty as your collections! Just old sentimental stuff. Oh! and I don't know why...but she had about 20 hand crank ice cream buckets...all sizes.
Your identifications have given me a new appreciation for the gegaws I've kept! Thanks.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2007
12:15 PM

Post #4267077

Great trinkets and I think I would love to have known your Auntie! I might add, before you get rid of anything else, have it appraised. Even sell on consignment... do not throw away!

Sue your wealth of knowledge amazes me. What a passion!

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 6, 2007
1:46 PM

Post #4267405

Thanks Kristi! And very good advice, i was a collector of postcards, some can be worth hundreds of dollars! Your green glass atomizer could be worth over a hundred dollars! Check on ebay for DeVilbiss. I think the bustle pattern is amazing. I am sure it has some value, to vintage clothes or sewing enthusiasts. Things don't have to be pretty, to have value. I would think ice cream buckets, would look marvelous all in a row on top of a hutch or soffit? sue
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #4267667

The diary and postcards are actually invaluable as to history. Sue, is there anyplace that you are aware of that uses these type things to augment other history media? I realize the value of postcard individually, but this is actually an account of a family tie.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 6, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #4268957

I am not sure what you mean? Postcards from say, the Titantic? I actually have one from the Lusitania. I haven't looked into the value if any? Any postcard from a recognizable public or historic f igure would have a value, depending on what is written pertaining to that event or person? If this person or family is famous, i would think a museum or historical place would be interested? Is that what you are saying? sue
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 6, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #4269190

The little doll in the first pic? I took a look and the head comes off...has a cork(?) that fits into the body...
I don't think there's much "historical" value to most of the post cards, except for the Holiday greetings (that I like to put out on little stands in entryway during the particular holiday) and maybe the ones from overseas. The bulk of them are mailed among friends in small New Mexico towns that just say "hi" to the collector.
We have a subdivision-wide garage sale March of every year. A few yrs ago, we took a bunch of large old oval framed photos (glass sort of bumped out?)out of the attic. 'Old men that looked like bankers! I told people they could be their "instant ancestors." And we got rid of all of them. I thought they were kind of creepy looking!
I have to get that Xmas tree decorated tonight...or else. But I'm going to try to sneak a pic of something else I kept because I thought I'd have a granddaughter one day. Have a grandson...and I wouldn't trade him for anything...but...

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4269204

I guess my value stems from my SIL being big time into our genealogy. Every letter or journal is precious. A grouping of postcards that were in a series of letters would be of interest. Some of stories Ken Burns has told of the various wars were put together from letters and other memorabelia. Not counting all the other things that make postcards collectible.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #4269344

These are some little handmade dresses I kept out because I thought they would be so cute to dress a new baby girl in. And the shoes are just darling, but my daughter wouldn't let me even try the shoes on baby. She thought they were as "creepy" as I thought the old photo portraits were! Pretty funny now, but I did put them away.
Please ignore Xmas ornaments all over floor. I really am going to get the tree done tonight.
After my aunt died, I did ask one of her friends about the collection of postcards and some really sweet "memory" scrapbooks I had found. They were things that were sold to her by the owner because she had no family and no longer wanted to hang on to them. I've given away so many of them to friends who wanted to just have one for a display. I think I have had more enjoyment sharing them.
Now the diary to the Chicago World's Fair...also have lots of memorabilia from the fair. One of our "older" friends actually attended the fair. I offered to give all the stuff to him and he said, "I was there, I don't need any of that!" Well...okaaaaaaay...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 7, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4269776

Postcards go good. The ones with pictures of things in towns are sought after by those people. Sometimes they go very high price. Anything with a railroad on it would be highly collectible. These cards would be from early 1900.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
4:06 AM

Post #4270130

I should be working on that tree...but I pulled down a box of postcards. The earliest were from 1909. Some later ones with soldiers on them. None from the Titanic, or even the Lusitania...but I do have the passenger list and all the menus from a Round the World cruise from Nov. 11,1929 to Feb 28, 1930. Now that's a vacation!!! 'And all the menus could be folded and sent as a postcard from the ship...

Bits and pieces and this and that...a little of everything...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2007
4:07 AM

Post #4270138

The baby clothes are also from the early 20th century. My parents were born in 1920 and 1921. Some of their baby pictures show those same kinds of shoes. If you are interested, there are life size dolls that could be dressed in these clothes and put out for display. My mother had some really pretty baby clothes like yours that she hung on child size satin hangers and hung them on a hat rack in the guest room.
Doll collectors look for those kinds of things at estate/garage sales. Your Christmas ornaments are pretty right where they are.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2007
4:12 AM

Post #4270156

Countrygardens, help us out here. There is a word for collections of paper goods. ephe???something. You have a very unusual and valuable collection of many different things. Your aunt had exquisite taste and had the best of each division. Don't let anyone get them for nothing. She actually left you a valuable inheritance. Just have to find the right people that want it. All collectibles are only worth what someone will give you for it even though we know it has worth because it has survived this long. Lots of us here would be happy to be sitting with you and going through this treasure. You are a love for sharing it with us. Just don't give us your address. hahahah just a joke.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
4:15 AM

Post #4270165

Not really into dolls. Only have one and she only sits out at Xmas. She's not the most attractive girl...

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2007
4:20 AM

Post #4270175

Since I had a daughter during the Barbie days I can tell you doll clothes are terribly hard to make. Someone worked really hard on her dress. Looks like maybe one of those mommy/daughter matches.
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4270187

I'm not looking to sell...wouldn't even know where to start...and I don't have the patience or time to follow e-bay. I was just sharing pics of some of the eclectic things she had stored away. I enjoy looking at others' collections. Sorta like everyone posting a photo of their latest hibiscus bloom on that forum!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
4:30 AM

Post #4270218

She's an old painted porcelain doll...and my aunt said she was probably a "second." Her hair paint is kind of running. She does have bloomers, but I don't think the dress is original. She belonged to the meanest ole widow lady on our street when I was growing up. She gave the doll to the lady that cleaned her house, who also cleaned for us. She, in turn, gave it to my aunt ...who gave it to me one Xmas.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #4270236

I thought so. My mother and greatgrandmother called them *china* dolls. I guess that was to differentiate from fabric faces. I have one that belonged to my ggm. She has china head with shoulders/cloth body and limbs, short arms and legs of china. They told me that lots of girls had a corn cob that would be dressed with a rag and something round stuck on top for a head with a painted on face. They were not necessarily disadvantaged.
Too bad this little lady reminds you of the wicked witch. hahaha
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2007
12:25 PM

Post #4270621

If you truly love the goods, keep and enjoy them. It does not sound like your daughter (?) shares the passion. If she inherits, she will probably ship this stuff. Unlike you with your love and respect for your Auntie. As with our offspring, I try to stress that they don't need to keep it but please don't give it away. If you have things you don't care about, I would dispose of it for something I could enjoy in this life ~ like a greenhouse ~ LOL
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 7, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #4270628

The collecting of paper items is called: "ephemera" ! I collect it! of course, what don't i collect? Have some nice victorian valentines..sue
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #4270943

Daughter has furniture, glassware, china, linens from aunt...and now runs when I start talking about 'going thru some boxes.' We also have furniture at our little lake house. Some of the big pieces of furniture we had to sell because they just didn't fit. Some things were multiples (like 12 old school desks). So I have gotten rid of lots of what we brought home. I just realized last night tho, that I've been storing the rest for nearly 10 yrs. I have a very understanding husband...I have one old piece that I planned to refinish and has sat in the garage blocking everything till I "get around to it."
One thing aunt told me was that she had a "system" for knowing what she paid for things when she first started collecting. (And you that are dealers probably already know this.) She used the letters of her name as numbers. So I would see the letters on back of a platter and know what it had cost her. Does that make sense? Exp...if my name was Mrytle Crabtree and I pd $6.25 for a piece, it would be marked CRL...It was helpful in the beginning because I had no idea if I was garage sale-ing something valuable.

So... can we see the Victorian valentines?????

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 7, 2007
4:16 PM

Post #4271376

Al my stuff is inventoried # serial numbered.
Example I have a carnival glass 9" bowl by Fenton called "Holly & Berries".
It's serial # is 102X16295. The 10 stands for October, the 2 for 2002 & the X for $10.00. The 5 digit is consecutive numbering as I by things. I stared with 11000 & am now at 20104.
Just dawned on me, I started in 1998. So now I will have to add something to recognize 2008 from 1998.
Have a Great Day!
Bernie

bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
4:47 PM

Post #4271470

Impressive Bernie, but way too organized for me! The bowl is really pretty. Can't believe you've amassed so much just since '98! Some of the boxes I open have newspaper dated 1973. I wind up reading the articles and ads!

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 7, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #4271740

Some times it comes in big amounts. I bought out an estate sale after the last hour of the sale. I got 305 pieces of depression glass. Another time I brought home 6 tubs of glass stuff from one auction.
My store is going to open again this spring, so I will be back buying. Need the stuff!
My store on the internet didn't pan out, so back to a live store. The store here is on our farmyard, so no overhead. DW takes care of Grandkids so is here all the time to mind the store.
Bernie
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 7, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #4272090

Your wife is going to watch kids and watch store? She must be a saint!!

There are auctions here, but I'd be afraid to go...I'd probably buy something. Only been to one and that was when we first married. Bought a rolltop desk that had been abandoned in storage at a moving company. We were so excited, we decided to bid on some chairs. I was too short to see so stood on a chair in front of DH. The auctioneer stopped the bidding half way thru and asked me how badly I wanted the chairs because I was bidding against my husband. We started laughing at each other and someone else got the chairs! Years later, during a move, the guys accidently managed to separate the top from the base of the desk when carrying it out. A marriage certificate from Calif. fell out from the back. I still have it...and LouC, if you read this...yes, we thought about contacting them yrs ago..and no we're not going to do it now...after 38 yrs...it's mine...!!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 7, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #4272657

That's right! Enjoy it!

Love the story of bidding against each other. Probably what Mike and I would do. I am 5 foot flat and often stand on a chair or whatever.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

December 8, 2007
1:33 AM

Post #4272971

At least you are bidding against someone. I was at a big community auction once when they were selling off of hayracks outdoors. Crowd was pushed up against the rack & bidding foolishly. I was standing back aways. On one item the auctioneer was taking bids from behind me and a person by the rack. I finally turned around to see who was bidding. The only thing back there was a light pole. The person on the rack outbid the pole!

Bernie
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #4272993

Wonder if they are still married? One would hope so...

We are in the firearms business and frequently deal with older firearms. The neatest treasure was an old single shot shotgun brought in for repair. When the buttplate was removed, a late 1930s hunting license was found rolled up in the stock. It was beautifully handwritten by the county clerk ~ signed by the current gun owners' grandfather. The date of issuance was shortly before the grandfather went off to fight in WW II. We kept a photocopy of the license and our memory of the story. We framed and returned the original with the shotgun to the man who was moved to tears. What a fun and special feeling! How's that for provenance...
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2007
2:02 AM

Post #4273048

Great story, about auctioneer, Bernie! Now I know I'd better stay away from 'em.

And your story too, Pod...what a special thing you did for that grandson. Nice, feel-good story... Firearms biz, huh? Now I know why you're not afraid to live out in the country! My neighbor sleeps with a gun under her pillow when her husband's out of town. If I did that, I'd be on the 6 o'clock news..."Woman shoots herself in head answering phone in middle of night!"
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 8, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #4273106

LOL Surely NOT! ROFL

Our small country community is safe. Assuming we have the same percentage of villians as a larger city does, with our lower population, we know everyone. Know who the bad guys are and what they drive and where they live. It is like a "gigantic" community watch. Now, when I get nervous is going to the big city!
bigbubbles
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

December 8, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #4273134

Tree is up and now I'm gonna bore you with some pie birds! I buy Costco's apple caramel pie, but one day I'm going to stick one in a frozen pie and convince my gourmet cook neighbor that I cooked it.

Thumbnail by bigbubbles

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

December 8, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #4274240

Kristi! You are in the firearms business?! Wow! Are you a good shot? Do you go to the range...or do you have one on your premises...that is my husband's passion...he has a few guns...new, not vintage! What a neat, but scary business to be in?! Loved all your auction stories...never go to auctions...i have always been burned, by buying damaged items, and not looking hard enough! sue
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2007
2:22 AM

Post #4276086

LOL Sue ~ scary only in that we expect to someday be legislated out of business. Guess there will be no govt subsidies here. LOL This has been our employment for many, many years. Not terribly lucrative but DH said he "retired" when he started the business. I feel one is blessed when they can enjoy what they do for a living. And, regarding your husband ~ guns are not just tools but can be a valuable collectible too!
One of my DHs collections is minature cannons. Some are quite old and most are boxed up in storage. For those of you with room to display your collections, I am jealous. We built a small home and said we would live in it. NOT ~ we are unwilling to part with our junque so the house is stuffed and things are boxed and stored til...
merpeg
Midwest City, OK
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5218613

One of my more unusual collections (if two is a collection). One belonged to my greatgrandmother and one to grandmother. No one kept the collection going, though.

Thumbnail by merpeg

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 7, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5218663

Merpeg ~ how special that they were inherited. To acquire more wouldn't mean as much as those two do... Very nice!
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

July 8, 2008
10:02 AM

Post #5222277

You will see sad irons with missing or broken handles. Those are great.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

July 8, 2008
10:46 AM

Post #5222340

I agree. An inherited set is more special than a whole lot of others. Very nice!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America