Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds: seed snatchin'

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting SeedsReplies: 2, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lobelialady
Griffith
Canada

December 3, 2007
1:46 PM

Post #4256732

This has to be the most laudable trait anyone can possess. Think of all the beauty that accrues from this pursuit. It is my practice never to remove seed heads from my flowers til the next spring...nature has done any necessary vernalization (saves me work) the tropicals are different however...has anyone brought an African violet to seed and actually harvested progeny? May I recommend this... try it, it is very satisfying but a slow, patience testing process. Seed pods, once formed, need 6 to 9 mos. to mature. (yes growers do it every day but it is a real coup to accomplish this in your kitchen!)
Delcy883
Holyoke, MA

March 30, 2009
1:56 PM

Post #6339793

I get small ziploc baggies from my local craft store, using the coupon in the paper for 40 or 50% off. If you're on the email lists for these stores, they will email you coupons sometimes, also. I reuse the baggies, so as not to waste and add to landfills.
ziplocs and a sharpie...don't leave home without them.

Just a thought.

:)

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 30, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6340035

WalMart has little zip-top baggies, 100 for 97 cents... just be sure you're looking in the craft department, usually near beads & jewelry findings.

Sharpie marker will wear off plastic bags with time & handling. I've gone to using paper label slips inside the bags. For temporary use, I stick a marker and a few sandwich baggies in my pocket -- I know those seeds will go in paper bags or on plates for drying once I get back inside, and after I clean them they'll go into the little zip-top bags.

You're right to try to always have something with you -- in a pocket, purse, glove compartment, etc. Some folks carry pretty extensive seed collecting kits with them in the car once seed-collecting season is underway. :-)

Thanks for your response! It's always fun to meet a fellow seed snatcher. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Too true and it is great fun... podster 26 Jul 31, 2008 3:24 AM
loving this Dutchlady1 0 Nov 30, 2007 7:41 PM
Brings back memories! plantladylin 5 Nov 4, 2009 9:32 PM
Flower seeds Mamad2 1 Dec 3, 2007 3:59 PM
Collecting Seeds Noturf 2 Nov 2, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America