Photo by Melody

Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds: Flower seeds

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting SeedsReplies: 1, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mamad2
Bennett, NC

December 3, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #4257067

Do I need to store the dried flower seed I've "collected" in the refrigerator? someone said that they would do better to be storred in the frig. for a few weeks before planting in the spring. Thanks MamaD2
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 3, 2007
3:59 PM

Post #4257178

Some people do store their seed in the fridge or even in the freezer, which is fine for most seed, but just be sure it is completely dry first (ice crystals can damage seed). I keep my seed in a dry, dark place at controlled room temperature (not some place that will get hot in summer), and I get good germination for several years on most things. In actual fact, most of my seeds are mostly stored in a chest of drawers in the living room. I do store columbine, poppy, and some other seeds that like cold stratification in the butter keeper compartment of my fridge, but since I winter sow those anyway, it probably makes little difference. I do think storing in the fridge is good for poppy seeds because of their oil content -- it makes sense that you might need cool storage to help them stay fresh.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Snatchin': The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Too true and it is great fun... podster 26 Jul 31, 2008 3:24 AM
loving this Dutchlady1 0 Nov 30, 2007 7:41 PM
seed snatchin' lobelialady 2 Mar 30, 2009 2:43 PM
Brings back memories! plantladylin 5 Nov 4, 2009 9:32 PM
Collecting Seeds Noturf 2 Nov 2, 2009 4:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America