Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Pomander Balls - natural air fresheners you can make with your children this holiday season!: What fun!

Communities > Forums > Article: Pomander Balls - natural air fresheners you can make with your children this holiday season!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Pomander Balls - natural air fresheners you can make with your children this holiday season!Replies: 8, Views: 68
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2007
5:21 AM

Post #4263079

I've never made one, but always thought it would be fun! Questions: Does the fruit have to be fresh? I have an orange that's been hanging around and is starting to get hard--is it too late? And is it the spices that keeps them from rotting, or will they eventually rot and have to be replaced?
Thanks for giving me urge to try this!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #4263815

I've often had that thought myself - if the fruit is already halfway there, wouldn't that speed the whole thing up? But I've never tried. You could be the one to invent the 21st century speed-pomander ball. The cloves keep the fruit from rotting as it hardens. Then the hard orange shrinks and keeps the whole thing together. It doesn't last FOREVER. My mother is just now taking down the one from last year - it was over her kitchen sink.

xx, Carrie
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2007
11:08 PM

Post #4265446

LOL, "seed pomander ball"! Hey, maybe the seeds would grow trees with clove-scented oranges! Hey, a year is a lot longer than they'd keep in the fruit bowl! Thanks, Carrie.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 6, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #4265633

Ky, read the other thread, someone talks about one made with an apple that's over 30 years old!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #4266533

LOL, wow! I will check it out--world's oldest apple! Wonder if they entered it in the Guiness Book of World Records? Thanks!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2007
3:44 AM

Post #4286471

This is something I have always wanted to do. Maybe I will try one to have for the rest of the winter!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2007
2:11 AM

Post #4289333

I've thought more about Ky's question about using oranges that are already a little hard, and I think the main problem would be getting the cloves in. It's a bit of a challenge when the orange is fresh and the peel is tender, but as it gets hard, it gets harder, get it? LOL. The cloves need to slide in there to preserve the whole concoction.

Also, do remember to put the paperclip in so you'll have a handle. If you wait to try to do it later, you won't be able to get it in there and the orange won't hold it. Does that make any sense?

Have fun, nanny! x, C
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
10:51 PM

Post #4291969

I decided to cut up the old orange and put it out for the critters, and they ate it up! I'll try it with a fresh one, next time I get some. lol

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #4292016

Sounds like a plan. xx, C

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Pomander Balls - natural air fresheners you can make with your children this holiday season! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent Article! rcn48 32 Dec 10, 2009 1:47 AM
What about orris root? bonjon 7 Dec 3, 2009 8:04 PM
Try a band-aid on the thumb vlkno 6 Dec 8, 2009 6:36 PM
How do I get the spices to stick? Otavia 1 Dec 4, 2009 8:30 PM
klbarnes@cfl.rr.com sarahgray 0 Dec 7, 2009 10:14 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America