14pt buck

Beech Grove, IN

killed with bow in brown county nov 10, 2007 8:18 am

Thumbnail by deerslayer
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Really, really nice deer. How old do you think it is? Seems to have a lot of white on his face, more than our deer here.
That was quite a shot, I never shot anywhere but the normal broadside behind the shoulder, during bow season.

Beech Grove, IN

well i think maybe he might be 5 or 6 years maybe ,and i did shoot in front of his leg,. he was trying to get up so i had to shoot again behind his front leg which that shot killed him. i was using a old bear bow .

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

That is why I "say hey man nice shot"

Looked like a neck shot in the picture. Good job with that kind of bow too.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

NIce buck! Congrats!!!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

What a prize you got there, great job. And just as I came in to post the button buck that Steve got on yesterday, last day and a doe Tim got with his pistol! Again, great job.

Beech Grove, IN

yes this the biggest dear i have ever killed .

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

Well I'm sure he will have a place of honor on your wall? He's a real nice looking buck--congrats.

Beech Grove, IN

yes im trying to get the money up to have it mounted ,so anybody with some extra money just laying around i'll take it .

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

How much will something like that cost you? We have had several 8pt mounted and they were under $600, but those were along time ago as well.

Thumbnail by haighr
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I think it depends on the taxadermist. Our last mount was about 450, but it is exceptional. We have paid as little as 150. 600 seems high, but I guess it depends on the area.
You could also just do a Europen (I think its called) mount. That you can do yourself. Just clean the skull (boil it), then soak it in bleach and water overnight, careful not to get bleach on the antlers. They look good. A friend did this to a moose he had shot and mounted it above his fireplace. It turned out great.
My future SIL shot his first deer this year. It had very small spikes. I mounted the antlers for him for Christmas, kind of a joke. I soaked the small skull cap in water with bleach and it cleaned it nicely for mounting.

Beech Grove, IN

Im gonna have it mounted for 300 and 25 for fixing the hole from the arrow .You got to examine the taxidermy work real good cause some of them just dont know what they are doing :)

Vicksburg, MS(Zone 8a)

You're right about looking at some of their work before letting them do your mount. We have a friend who did my nine point for $250 and he did a beautiful job. But we still looked at several of his mounts before letting him do mine. Hope yours turns out nice.

Beech Grove, IN

im thinking about getting into taxidermy myself. I think i would enjoy it .

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I have thought about it too.
I bought one of those tanning kits from cabelas and tanned some raccoon hides. Made a couple really nice coon skin hats for winter. Boy oh boy are they warm.
I have heard the local taxadermist sometimes take on people to help, but they say that they almost always want to do their own stuff and leave and go out on their own. So the guys are leary on taking on apprentices.

Beech Grove, IN

um i might try that

Beech Grove, IN

well the mount is at the taxidermy it will take 6 to 8 months to get it back ,thats to long .:(

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

They do take a long time don't they? They get too busy this time of season?
There is alot to the process. Tanning takes a while, then there is ordering the right size form, cleaning of the antler base, mounting, painting, clay, eye placement, glue. Would you be able to do that 100 times.
This keeps me from taxidermy. LOL.

Beech Grove, IN

its a different story if you have a Love for it .

(Zone 9a)

Hello deerslayer,

When you say "old Bear bow" do you mean one that does not have
wheels?
If so, please post the specifications on it (draw weight/length, arrow material/spine used, broadhead, etc.)

Thanks

Beech Grove, IN

here is the bear bow that took down my MONSTER BUCK hehehe

Thumbnail by deerslayer
(Zone 9a)

Oh - sorry.

If you ever want to start shooting a "real" bow :) let me know.

Have fun all the same :)

Beech Grove, IN

you got one you can give me ?

(Zone 9a)

Sending you a D-mail.

Beech Grove, IN

D-mail?

(Zone 9a)

The "private" messaging system used on this website.

You should have something like > YOU HAVE __NEW MAIL/s< at the top
of your homepage.

Beech Grove, IN

well i finally got my mount back and it is awesome

Thumbnail by deerslayer
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Really, really nice. They did a good job.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Very nice buck and mount. By the way, your camera put a date of 1/25/06 on the photo.

Lakeland, FL

Very Nice Buck..
What was his score??
What kind of arrows was you shooting?
I use an older bow as well..an old Darton

orange, United States

nice buck I love to have slice of meat from the ribs!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.