Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Cardamom ~ add some spice to your holidays!: Cardamom

Communities > Forums > Article: Cardamom ~ add some spice to your holidays!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cardamom ~ add some spice to your holidays!Replies: 8, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
northgrass
West Chazy, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 6, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4267391

I enjoyed your well researched article on cardamom. Now I just have to try the bread recipe.
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #4268652

Ditto...and also thanks for the bread pictures.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #4268918

thanks to you both :0) it makes the whole house smell heavenly
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #4642620

Jan, I was just reading your article on cardamom, written prior to my subscription to DG. I had to chuckle when you wrote that the research said it could only be grown indoors in the US. I planted a gallon nursery pot in Orlando, z9 and by year 3, I was hacking it down with a machete. The flowers were beautiful, and although not long lasting, prolific. I would love to try it again here in z7, where it might behave better. You are absolutely right about the aroma. The smell of the freshly cut or crushed leaves is so clean and spicy. My DH just came home from the PO with Critter's bubble envelope full of seeds and inside was one of your packets of fennel. I'm just itching to get some potting soil and get it going. Thank you for a wonderful article and for being a seed sharer.
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #4643002

That's cool, Pam. I really like this kind of feedback :0) (and the fact that somebody is still reading my old articles LOL). Glad you got some of that fennel seed, too. That's a fun plant to grow. I wintersowed it last year with no trouble so it should be easy to start. By the end of the summer you'll have buckets of seed to share, too. and that's another one with a wonderful smell.
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 20, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6164335

Great article. Thanks for sharing it Pam, I learn so much from these articles on DG. And anything that has a fragrance or culinary use is A+ for me to try. I am going to try the cardamom as well as your recent article on mini watermelons in a container.

Wonderful articles, I can't wait for more!
Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6166992

Jan, Look your article is still being read and appreciated.

astcgirl, good luck with your cardamom. It really was well behaved in years 1 and 2 for me, but started getting way out of bounds year 3. You may want to contain it in a big pot, which it will eventually outgrow or burst in its enthusiasm, but it does smell so lovely it's worth it. Pam
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 21, 2009
10:23 AM

Post #6168618

astcgirl, I'm so glad you are enjoying the articles. Please keep reading. I learn as much from my readers as they do from me. Your note is much appreciated.

Pam, have enjoyed your input very much :0)

~ jan

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

November 30, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #7323048

My neighbor gave me a clump of what he called cardamom. When it bloomed, I thought it looked like shell ginger. Are they the same? The leaves are very aromatic. I have some in the shade that are at least 4ft tall and 6 ft wide and getting wider all the time. I have another clump in a sunnier area that is much smaller. I noticed the other day that the big clump had a bunch of seed pods. I think they were orange in color. I wonder if I should try them. I doubt it will poison me if it's some other kind of ginger, right?

Thanks for the article and the recipes!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cardamom ~ add some spice to your holidays! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
enjoyed your article wind 38 Dec 20, 2007 3:17 PM
Not Christmas without Cardamom soapwort243 0 Dec 6, 2007 10:02 PM
Great article & fabulous photos! tabasco 0 Dec 7, 2007 1:06 AM
Good article! nap 2 Dec 7, 2007 3:44 PM
Very interesting and informative article DonnieBrook 2 Dec 8, 2007 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America