Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wildwolf
Gainesville, GA

December 6, 2007
5:54 PM

Post #4268323

I have just noticed flowers blooming on my bank in Dec? I planted the grass like plant last yr along with another plant that was given to me, I thought it was some kind of ornamental grass and just left it alone, It now has rewarded me with this pretty flower... Could you possibly tell me what it is?

Thumbnail by wildwolf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #4268544

I have no idea but it is stunning
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2007
8:46 PM

Post #4268817

wildwolf, what you have is Acidenthera bicolor, aka Gladiolus callianthus http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/756/. There are numerous common names, I've always known it as African Gladiolus. For us in Zone 6, we have to treat it as an annual. However, in your area it just might come back every year. Beautiful flower to see this time of the year!

Debbie
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

December 6, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #4268972

That is what I love about Daves - so many people here know so much!
wildwolf
Gainesville, GA

December 10, 2007
4:45 PM

Post #4280761

rcn48 & MitchF,
Thanks sooo much for the replies & info, I hope it comes back, it is a very pretty plant. I am originally from upstate NY and have always had very good luck (green thumb) with growing healthy plants inside and out, but I must say I have been challenged down here in the south. What grows up north doesn't always do well down south. Thanks again.
Camo
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2007
8:18 PM

Post #4281328

Quoting:What grows up north doesn't always do well down south

Camo, how well I know! Moved from Maine to Virginia in 1999, lots of things I grew in Maine just don't do well with our heat and humidity. But then again, moving from Zone 4 to Zone 6, there's so much MORE I can grow! Welcome to the south :)

Debbie
Aunt_A

January 9, 2008
3:44 AM

Post #4378184

wildwolf;

I too am a transplanted Upstate New Yorker. We grew blueberries, HUGE NY/Canadian Lilacs, all kinds of bulb flowers, veggies, black and red raspberries, grapes, Red Currants and of course, Apple Trees. We must have had 10 or more apple trees that were over 30 feet tall; we ate apples and drank apple cider like some people eat candy bars and soda pop.

I still expect to pop things in the ground and watch them grow. However, most everything here in the South has to be diapered and bottle fed. We have crazy drowning rain followed by hot, dry summers, then up and down cold weather for the winter.

Back to Upstate NY: Wow...those Red Sugar Maple trees! We collected the syrup in buckets and boiled it down into the best Maple Sugar Syrup you've ever tasted. The Maple trees were the most astoundingly beautiful things in the fall. You've gotta love that fall...but the winter; lake effect snow was no fun!

Anyway, hope you enjoy the South; there are a lot of great things about the South to love, also. Things like Yucca plants, Crepe Myrtle bushes and winters that don't last as long.

:-)

MitchF's Aunt_A
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #4378891

:-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Flowers of the Season Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
So interesting and loved the photos CapeCodGardener 3 Dec 17, 2007 5:04 AM
Christmas Catcus soapwort243 1 Dec 8, 2007 2:35 AM
Some notes on the plants JaxFlaGardener 1 Dec 18, 2007 1:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America