Brugmansia pods! ...yes you can :)

Sydney, Australia

Hi everyone Brical1 has asked about the Brug pods ...many thanks and x x x
for the pink Angel bits ...they are already sitting up and looking around their new (very wet home).I hope they are going to love living here.
Well as you all know before stumbling into daves garden I was madly in love with my Angels ... the fragrance and beauty have always held me in their spell, however because of their reliable habit of "bits" growing 99% of the time until now it had not occured to me that they set seed and cross breed!
Thanks to the wonderful information gathered from my American friends
a whole new world has opened up for me.We can do it too!
there is not enough variety on offer here so I am going to try for myself ...
you can do it too.
Here are are couple of my pods

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Each Angel has a little green "pod" inside ...if not fertilized they stay the same size (about 1/2 an inch long.)
Once fertilized they start to grow longer pretty quickly ...I look every day and you can see them getting longer.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

That last pic shows the difference between the little pods and the growing pods. All it took was a paintbrush and a few minutes. I don't know if any of the seeds will amount to anything wonderful ...
it's kind of like lotto I guess ...all I know is that it is possible and I am thrilled.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Mine are crossed white (the most heavily perfumed one ...it does not have the "whiskers") x with what I am pretty sure is Grande Marnier.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Chrissy,
I'm standing by your side along the newbies whose first attempt at hybridizing brugs. It works! Thank you, for sharing the gardening's tips and joys with us from way yonder. We love you here from the USA.
Kim

p.s. This seed pod was hand pollinated back in Sept. Look how big it's getting at present.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats!!! Chrissy!!! The beauties are to ummmm drool over for lol.
Kim

Sydney, Australia

Any of you with more than one kind of Angel may have pods and don't know it. Go check, because what I have found since this is the first year both my white and apricot Angels are flowering only twenty ft apart I can see pods growing high up where I could not reach, as well as the ones I used the paintbrush on :)
A little later I will post the link to the classic thread that showed me what to do. Have to go out for a bit right now, I hope this is as exciting for you as it is for me.
chrissy

Sydney, Australia

Oh Lily _love you are a love! If you don't mind may I ask you a newby Question ? I am a little confused as to wether the pod will "pop" open and drop the seeds like the Datura or will it remain closed? ...any clues as to what to do once we have the seeds will be most welcome, I have read that they need to be cleaned of the black corky stuff etc ...thanks for your encouragement ...it means a lot coming from such an awesome gardener!
chrissy :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Chrissy;
I haven't actually experienced the joy of collecting the ripened seeds yet. I've heard that you need to soak the seeds -pod and all - in warm water in order to clean and separate them from the protective cover net work internal of the pod itself. A fellow DGer has recently sent me some seed packages, I'll open them later and take some picture of the seeds for you to see.
I'll need to run an errand, will be back with some pics. later.
Kim

Although winter is fast approaching, I still have several brugs outdoor at this time of year in our Southern's climate. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sydney, Australia

Here is the wonderful thread that gave me the clues

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/362576/

Being a laid back kind of a gardener I just rubbed the brush in the fluffy pollen from one coloured Angel onto the stigma of the other,
really just the same as you help a pumpkin flower to set :)
Happy gardening everyone!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Merino, Australia

Hell chrissy and Lily_love. I was just passing and had to peep in. chrissy , when we were at the botanical gardens in Portland the other day, I saw a trumpet growing quite well. I have always liked them but did not think they would like our cold. Portland is right on the ocean so there is hope for me to try up here about 50 miles inland.
i will make a space where there is not too much wind and see if I can get some to grow. I do love all the colors you can get.
May I ask for some seeds from anyone of any color and I will start them off in my greenhouse. It will be fun seeing how they do.
I am like you chrissy in trying for new plants by fertilising your own. I am trying it with my epis.
Happy gardening

Sydney, Australia

I sent you some angel bits in your parcel ...have you picked it up yet ? shelley has hers so yours should be there ...if the bits don't take i will send more for you ...I don't know how they went in your parcel ...but mine from QLD arrived in very good shape ...they are surprisingly tough and if I recall correctley I think some come from temperate mountains and valleys.I see no reason that you cannot grow them as some of our American friends who have snowy winters grow them and either take them inside for winter ...or take cuttings to overwinter in sand. Their trumpets are lovely so yours should be fine ...let me know how it goes and I will be happy to send you bits ...I am seeing what is the best method to do this.
My first cutting was given to me on a scorching hot January morning and It just went into a bag until I got home that night.I threw it into a water bath to rehydrate it and then into a little water overnight and just shoved it into some potting mix under a bush and forgot about it until it poked its branches up through the bush a few weeks later.That Summer it hit 6 ft and produced the big huge white bells that so beautifully scent the warm nights! Ah love at first sight and sniff :) let me know how you go Jean and sing out if you want a few more.They are as easy to grow from cuttings as geraniums.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi all, I can't believe the fragrance i am getting off my white one. As you say chrissy, it must be the warm nights. The whole tree gets covered with flowers for about a week, then 2 weeks later, it's covered again! i wonder if i should feed it up on chook manure pellets, as it has done alot of work this year! What do you think?
Do you have yours in sun or shade everyone? Mine is in part sun, mostly light shade
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman
Sydney, Australia

Ha ha ha Sue ...a convert!
I must say that until I read it on the International forums I would just treat them as part of the garden ...you know chuck the odd bit of cow poo ,blood and bone and chook pellets at them,but only in Spring.What I find is a flush after each rain.I do intend to keep feeding now because all the brug experts on these forums say they are hungry plants.When you look at the work they do it makes sense.Just the same after growing them for 25 years I think they are tough and generous plants regardless.I like to make them into umbrella shapes, so beautiful that way.I know you will love them too now you have discovered the perfume, the Grande Marnier has a more subtle but still charming scent, rather like the coloured frangipani compared to the white. Take care of that cold ww
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend ...we got 30 mils of rain in 10 mins yesterday ...another storm.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Chrissy;
I hope the storm has subsided, and that you're doing well.
Here is the pics. of the brugs' seeds that I promised.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Sorry Chrissy; I had problem loading the picture. Here it's.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Sydney, Australia

Thankyou so much Lily_love ...one of my pods broken off last week in a bad storm had these tiny black nubbley things inside ...even though it was only 3 inches long,so hooray there were little seeds set inside :).So hopefully when these ones are big and ripe we might have some babies ...even if they are just white with tendrils I would be happy and it is good practice. PS I noticed that the pods on the Grande Marnier are long and pointy while the ones on my white are round and plump ...with a bit of luck that means something is different to something.
Thanks so much
chrissy =^)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

You're most welcome, we'll have seeds next year! Wooohooooo. I did have a very possitive experience on raising the seedlings. I purchased some tiny seedling this past summer, they grew rapidly into a 5 feet tall tree from a size of 2-5" sapplings. Those should flower for me next year. So I'll share pics. in the future.
Take care mate.
Happy gardening,
Kim

Sydney, Australia

Thanks Kim that will be great! what fun .:)

Sorry ww the trumpets do well in both sun and a bit of arvo shade ...they tend to burn off if fully exposed to some of the terrible temps we have around New year in the dry heat,they do come back though.I don't use poisons so there somethimes is a fair bit of leaf damage as the bugs like to have a good chew, so I inspect what i can reach and leave the rest to their own devices.
Most of the time they look stunning though ...those big huge velvet leaves are very attractive some of them over a foot in length ...the whole plant makes quite a statement I think. Of course like everything else a bit of wind shelter is a good thing too.:)

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hi Chrissy, (and lilylove) I had problems with something feasting on the leaves too. I assumed it was snails, as the garden I have them in has alot of snails, so I baited using iron chellate pellets from Bunnings, which are supposed to be pet/lizard/bird friendly. It seems to have knocked the snails back and the Brugmansia leaves are looking really good now, but I make it a point to re bait every 3 months or so incase a new batch of eggs has hatched.
My cold is GREAT Chrissy! LOL. Just the usual runny nose, sore nostrils and annoying cough! At least i feel O.K within myself and can carry on with life in general! Its not the flu or anything, so will no doubt be over in 10 days or so! I'm usually a very healthy person so I get well pretty quickly. Thanks for caring!
Sue

Sydney, Australia

Angels update ...the pods are now everywhere and growing like the dickens, check your blossoms after the flower (referred to as skirt ...falls off) I gently pull away the green sleeve so rain and bugs won't cause a problem. There it is in all of it's glory ...the little green nub ...if the pollination has been successful (natural or aided) you will see it grow fairly rapidly from just under 1/2 an inch or so to 4/6 inches. Here is a pic of mine so far ...you can see the growth every day. Look carefully and see the different growth lengths of buds.

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Coffs Harbour, Australia

They are really curly, your flowers, Chrissy! Is That the one you sent me cuttings from? I can hardly wait! (rubbing hands with glee) The cuttings are doing great, and by all accounts, Angels are easy to grow from cuttings, so no doubt when mine are big, I will be sharing them locally!
I haven't seen many around my area, so don't think mine will be getting pollinated, unless they cross polinate with Tobacco weed! LOL
Sue

Sydney, Australia

Yes Sue that is them, they start out white and over two/three days turn to that lovely deep salmon /apricot colour ...I can't believe the number of pods that I have on both the whites and the "curly ones"
I have noticed that the pods that I started in the heat grew a fair bit slower ...and the ones I started in the cooler conditions are growing really fast, and yes they are really easy to grow, so long as the mix is sandy (well that is what works for me ...I never lose any cuttings)
after they root up they go very quickly.I think if you had a few of those as "doorbuster" plants as well as the Gota whatsits miracle longevity herb, you just couldn't go wrong!
The pods on the whites are growing a very different shape more round through the body, it is very interesting and I am just thrilled
Brical? have you been looking at yours? are the little green "nubs" extending yet?
chrissy

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Chrissy, you are a pod-a-holic!

Adelaide, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hand pollinating IS an addictive disease. You start doing that one special plant and the next thing you know you are out in the garden with a paintbrush behind your ear LOOKING for victims flowers, to practice on!

Sydney, Australia

ha ha ha K I have been running around with the paintbrush for years as specially after the 2001 fires when the bees went missing for about two years,when the bees are not around I tend to give nature a helping hand, what with all the constant rain (yes folks it rained all night and is sprinkling still this morning) the old paintbrush is getting a really good workout! cucumbers and zucchini at the moment ...despite the rain we are already eating them:)
ww by next year your Angel trumpet bits from me will have flowers and you can start crossing your trumpets too, I will be sending more bits out by then of different colours to anyone wanting them.
Perhaps some seeds as well by the look of the number of pods ...since I don't think I can grow that many:)
Lots of heat heading your way K stay cool mate!

Merino, Australia

Hello everyone. chrissy your little trumpet bit is standing up well here. I have decided I want more colors. You have a new convert. I hope they will grow well down here. I have seen the common white one growing by the sea in Portland but no colored ones. I saw a gorgeous apricotty orange one on internet. I WANT !!!
I may have to make a small trumpet garden. Can you or anyone else please send me some cuttings ?
Maybe this is not the right time to grow them ,perhaps seeds would do better as it seems to be pod time in chrissy's garden.
I will gladly pay postage and if you want to swap for something let me know. I do have some epiphyllum bits here. Colors unknown but who cares they are all gorgeous.
We had 4 spots of rain or maybe it was 6.
The clouds came up , there was a bit of thunder and lightning, a quick shower then poof !! gone elsewhere.
Yesterday was extremely muggy and it looks like today will get the same.
There was rain about 10 miles away but we stand here on our hill and watch it rain on everyone else.
I am cutting back lots of plants now as the garden slowly dries out and the Spring flowers go on holiday,.
Now is the time of the day lilies, agapanthus and red hot pokers. They are lovely this year. (pic is one of my day lilies )
Must away as visitors are arriving.
I wish you all a very Happy Christmas and lots of good luck in the New Year. Please drive safely all.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Sydney, Australia

Will send both white and Grande Marnier cuttings after New Year (I would send sooner but the mail may be delayed what with Christmas 77 I will let you know when so you can grab them straight away, they flower all through the warm season in flushes.I am still waiting on my order from a Nursery down here and it has been taking a while ...I will let you know how I go with that.
chrissy :)

Sydney, Australia

Whoo Hoo guess what has arrived! ...I was expecting them Monday
Look!

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

The stuff above the bottom two things is the outer cork covering on the seeds ...I have peeled it off.Under that on the left is a seed on the bottom right is a cork covered seed more info later ...meanwhile my visitors are patiently waiting so I can show you this ...these are the plants first 5 and three cuttings all bedded down in a sandy mix with a seasol shower ...I am not putting them into the garden until the big wet is over ...ha ha ha the sun peeped out for about half an hour to say hello to my new babies ...more info when my guests have gone, Alistair ...thanks mate fab stuff more info later.
Enjoy your day everyone (I certainly am:)
chrissy

Nowra, NSW,, Australia(Zone 9b)

Wow that was quick (after I had been slow!!)

Sydney, Australia

Hold the horses! I forgot the pic I am so excited!:)

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

Ha ha ha yes I was thrilled and caught off guard as I have a house full of visitors back with a big wrap for you when they have gone ...thanks again! :)
chrissy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

WTG! Chrissy. Happy Holidays!!!
Kim

Sydney, Australia

Oh Lily_love I am very excited because some of these are Australian bred and I may have something you folks in the states haven't seen yet,I must away for a bit in a little while but in case you or I get too busy before Christmas I want to thank you for your most generous encouragement and what's more for letting me peek into the beautiful place that is your garden ...I hope you have a joyous Christmas and let's hope that 2007 brings us great garden adventures!, good health and love.
chrissy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you, Chrissy, I'll be looking forward to our next growing season. For now, wishing you and all your gardening friends a beautiful Merry Christmas. Peace to the World.

Kim
http://www.thecompassgroup.biz/merryxmas.swf

Sydney, Australia

I can't help myself look what I received! (Alistairs own description :)

'Musketeer' (large funnel-shaped pendent orange)
'Alphonse Mucha' (superb (though I say it myself!!) pendent cream flushing apricot with age and long languid tendrils - very vigorous large free-flowering plant with dark quilted leaves).
'Elfin Pink' - (very pretty pink pendent flowers with curly tendrils. tall grower).
'Zabaglione' - (another cream but a compact plant producing truly amazing quantities of flowers).
and Brugmansia versicolor (peach form) - rather like the ordinary apricot but longer flowers dangling on longer stalks, slightly stronger colour and with better scent - great for training into a standard too.

These would be sent to you by mail as plants established in 4" pots pruned back for posting. With this weather we've been having they will take off like rockets.

They are all newly released varieties I have raised here from seed and selected, and are unique to my nursery. They are mostly at the top end of the price range
Alistair was really generous and gave me a very big discount and extra cuttings of some other brugs plus seeds. The plants are strong, healthy and busting to grow.I am very delighted to have them.

Alistair when you have a moment why don't you pop in and have an Angel chat with us? we would love that.:)
chrissy

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Ah, I'm jealous now, Alistair isn't going to send me none of those because I'm too far away. Anyhoooo, Merry Christmas all the same.
Kim
p.s. I'm happy for you Chrissy!!!

Sydney, Australia

Brug pods today still hanging on and growing quickly even after the storm last night (every day I expect them to be gone! cluck cluck cluck :).Thanks Kim I knew you would be happy for me ...I can send pictures though ...we still don't seem to have doubles here (although I don't think my heart could stand it!)

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Sydney, Australia

And these

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.