Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Brugmansia pods! ...yes you can :)

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 192, Views: 1,527
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2007
9:46 PM

Post #4268971

Hi everyone Brical1 has asked about the Brug pods ...many thanks and x x x
for the pink Angel bits ...they are already sitting up and looking around their new (very wet home).I hope they are going to love living here.
Well as you all know before stumbling into daves garden I was madly in love with my Angels ... the fragrance and beauty have always held me in their spell, however because of their reliable habit of "bits" growing 99% of the time until now it had not occured to me that they set seed and cross breed!
Thanks to the wonderful information gathered from my American friends
a whole new world has opened up for me.We can do it too!
there is not enough variety on offer here so I am going to try for myself ...
you can do it too.
Here are are couple of my pods

Thumbnail by chrissy100
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2007
9:52 PM

Post #4268988

Each Angel has a little green "pod" inside ...if not fertilized they stay the same size (about 1/2 an inch long.)
Once fertilized they start to grow longer pretty quickly ...I look every day and you can see them getting longer.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2007
9:57 PM

Post #4269004

That last pic shows the difference between the little pods and the growing pods. All it took was a paintbrush and a few minutes. I don't know if any of the seeds will amount to anything wonderful ...
it's kind of like lotto I guess ...all I know is that it is possible and I am thrilled.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2007
10:03 PM

Post #4269015

Mine are crossed white (the most heavily perfumed one ...it does not have the "whiskers") x with what I am pretty sure is Grande Marnier.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #4269022

Hi Chrissy,
I'm standing by your side along the newbies whose first attempt at hybridizing brugs. It works! Thank you, for sharing the gardening's tips and joys with us from way yonder. We love you here from the USA.
Kim

p.s. This seed pod was hand pollinated back in Sept. Look how big it's getting at present.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2007
10:08 PM

Post #4269027

Congrats!!! Chrissy!!! The beauties are to ummmm drool over for lol.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2007
10:12 PM

Post #4269030

Any of you with more than one kind of Angel may have pods and don't know it. Go check, because what I have found since this is the first year both my white and apricot Angels are flowering only twenty ft apart I can see pods growing high up where I could not reach, as well as the ones I used the paintbrush on :)
A little later I will post the link to the classic thread that showed me what to do. Have to go out for a bit right now, I hope this is as exciting for you as it is for me.
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #4269054

Oh Lily _love you are a love! If you don't mind may I ask you a newby Question ? I am a little confused as to wether the pod will "pop" open and drop the seeds like the Datura or will it remain closed? ...any clues as to what to do once we have the seeds will be most welcome, I have read that they need to be cleaned of the black corky stuff etc ...thanks for your encouragement ...it means a lot coming from such an awesome gardener!
chrissy :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2007
10:38 PM

Post #4269101

Chrissy;
I haven't actually experienced the joy of collecting the ripened seeds yet. I've heard that you need to soak the seeds -pod and all - in warm water in order to clean and separate them from the protective cover net work internal of the pod itself. A fellow DGer has recently sent me some seed packages, I'll open them later and take some picture of the seeds for you to see.
I'll need to run an errand, will be back with some pics. later.
Kim

Although winter is fast approaching, I still have several brugs outdoor at this time of year in our Southern's climate. :-)

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 6, 2007
10:41 PM

Post #4269106

Here is the wonderful thread that gave me the clues

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/362576/

Being a laid back kind of a gardener I just rubbed the brush in the fluffy pollen from one coloured Angel onto the stigma of the other,
really just the same as you help a pumpkin flower to set :)
Happy gardening everyone!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 6, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #4269261

Hell chrissy and Lily_love. I was just passing and had to peep in. chrissy , when we were at the botanical gardens in Portland the other day, I saw a trumpet growing quite well. I have always liked them but did not think they would like our cold. Portland is right on the ocean so there is hope for me to try up here about 50 miles inland.
i will make a space where there is not too much wind and see if I can get some to grow. I do love all the colors you can get.
May I ask for some seeds from anyone of any color and I will start them off in my greenhouse. It will be fun seeing how they do.
I am like you chrissy in trying for new plants by fertilising your own. I am trying it with my epis.
Happy gardening

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 7, 2007
12:45 AM

Post #4269493

I sent you some angel bits in your parcel ...have you picked it up yet ? shelley has hers so yours should be there ...if the bits don't take i will send more for you ...I don't know how they went in your parcel ...but mine from QLD arrived in very good shape ...they are surprisingly tough and if I recall correctley I think some come from temperate mountains and valleys.I see no reason that you cannot grow them as some of our American friends who have snowy winters grow them and either take them inside for winter ...or take cuttings to overwinter in sand. Their trumpets are lovely so yours should be fine ...let me know how it goes and I will be happy to send you bits ...I am seeing what is the best method to do this.
My first cutting was given to me on a scorching hot January morning and It just went into a bag until I got home that night.I threw it into a water bath to rehydrate it and then into a little water overnight and just shoved it into some potting mix under a bush and forgot about it until it poked its branches up through the bush a few weeks later.That Summer it hit 6 ft and produced the big huge white bells that so beautifully scent the warm nights! Ah love at first sight and sniff :) let me know how you go Jean and sing out if you want a few more.They are as easy to grow from cuttings as geraniums.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 7, 2007
11:18 AM

Post #4270550

Hi all, I can't believe the fragrance i am getting off my white one. As you say chrissy, it must be the warm nights. The whole tree gets covered with flowers for about a week, then 2 weeks later, it's covered again! i wonder if i should feed it up on chook manure pellets, as it has done alot of work this year! What do you think?
Do you have yours in sun or shade everyone? Mine is in part sun, mostly light shade
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 7, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #4271923

Ha ha ha Sue ...a convert!
I must say that until I read it on the International forums I would just treat them as part of the garden ...you know chuck the odd bit of cow poo ,blood and bone and chook pellets at them,but only in Spring.What I find is a flush after each rain.I do intend to keep feeding now because all the brug experts on these forums say they are hungry plants.When you look at the work they do it makes sense.Just the same after growing them for 25 years I think they are tough and generous plants regardless.I like to make them into umbrella shapes, so beautiful that way.I know you will love them too now you have discovered the perfume, the Grande Marnier has a more subtle but still charming scent, rather like the coloured frangipani compared to the white. Take care of that cold ww
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend ...we got 30 mils of rain in 10 mins yesterday ...another storm.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #4272482

Chrissy;
I hope the storm has subsided, and that you're doing well.
Here is the pics. of the brugs' seeds that I promised.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #4272627

Sorry Chrissy; I had problem loading the picture. Here it's.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 8, 2007
12:34 AM

Post #4272821

Thankyou so much Lily_love ...one of my pods broken off last week in a bad storm had these tiny black nubbley things inside ...even though it was only 3 inches long,so hooray there were little seeds set inside :).So hopefully when these ones are big and ripe we might have some babies ...even if they are just white with tendrils I would be happy and it is good practice. PS I noticed that the pods on the Grande Marnier are long and pointy while the ones on my white are round and plump ...with a bit of luck that means something is different to something.
Thanks so much
chrissy =^)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4272906

You're most welcome, we'll have seeds next year! Wooohooooo. I did have a very possitive experience on raising the seedlings. I purchased some tiny seedling this past summer, they grew rapidly into a 5 feet tall tree from a size of 2-5" sapplings. Those should flower for me next year. So I'll share pics. in the future.
Take care mate.
Happy gardening,
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 8, 2007
4:14 AM

Post #4273413

Thanks Kim that will be great! what fun .:)

Sorry ww the trumpets do well in both sun and a bit of arvo shade ...they tend to burn off if fully exposed to some of the terrible temps we have around New year in the dry heat,they do come back though.I don't use poisons so there somethimes is a fair bit of leaf damage as the bugs like to have a good chew, so I inspect what i can reach and leave the rest to their own devices.
Most of the time they look stunning though ...those big huge velvet leaves are very attractive some of them over a foot in length ...the whole plant makes quite a statement I think. Of course like everything else a bit of wind shelter is a good thing too.:)
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 9, 2007
10:58 AM

Post #4276722

Hi Chrissy, (and lilylove) I had problems with something feasting on the leaves too. I assumed it was snails, as the garden I have them in has alot of snails, so I baited using iron chellate pellets from Bunnings, which are supposed to be pet/lizard/bird friendly. It seems to have knocked the snails back and the Brugmansia leaves are looking really good now, but I make it a point to re bait every 3 months or so incase a new batch of eggs has hatched.
My cold is GREAT Chrissy! LOL. Just the usual runny nose, sore nostrils and annoying cough! At least i feel O.K within myself and can carry on with life in general! Its not the flu or anything, so will no doubt be over in 10 days or so! I'm usually a very healthy person so I get well pretty quickly. Thanks for caring!
Sue

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 17, 2007
4:19 AM

Post #4302791

Angels update ...the pods are now everywhere and growing like the dickens, check your blossoms after the flower (referred to as skirt ...falls off) I gently pull away the green sleeve so rain and bugs won't cause a problem. There it is in all of it's glory ...the little green nub ...if the pollination has been successful (natural or aided) you will see it grow fairly rapidly from just under 1/2 an inch or so to 4/6 inches. Here is a pic of mine so far ...you can see the growth every day. Look carefully and see the different growth lengths of buds.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 17, 2007
7:21 AM

Post #4303151

They are really curly, your flowers, Chrissy! Is That the one you sent me cuttings from? I can hardly wait! (rubbing hands with glee) The cuttings are doing great, and by all accounts, Angels are easy to grow from cuttings, so no doubt when mine are big, I will be sharing them locally!
I haven't seen many around my area, so don't think mine will be getting pollinated, unless they cross polinate with Tobacco weed! LOL
Sue

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 18, 2007
12:15 PM

Post #4306421

Yes Sue that is them, they start out white and over two/three days turn to that lovely deep salmon /apricot colour ...I can't believe the number of pods that I have on both the whites and the "curly ones"
I have noticed that the pods that I started in the heat grew a fair bit slower ...and the ones I started in the cooler conditions are growing really fast, and yes they are really easy to grow, so long as the mix is sandy (well that is what works for me ...I never lose any cuttings)
after they root up they go very quickly.I think if you had a few of those as "doorbuster" plants as well as the Gota whatsits miracle longevity herb, you just couldn't go wrong!
The pods on the whites are growing a very different shape more round through the body, it is very interesting and I am just thrilled
Brical? have you been looking at yours? are the little green "nubs" extending yet?
chrissy
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

December 19, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #4309705

Chrissy, you are a pod-a-holic!
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

December 19, 2007
5:46 PM

Post #4310623

Hand pollinating IS an addictive disease. You start doing that one special plant and the next thing you know you are out in the garden with a paintbrush behind your ear LOOKING for victims flowers, to practice on!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 19, 2007
6:18 PM

Post #4310738

ha ha ha K I have been running around with the paintbrush for years as specially after the 2001 fires when the bees went missing for about two years,when the bees are not around I tend to give nature a helping hand, what with all the constant rain (yes folks it rained all night and is sprinkling still this morning) the old paintbrush is getting a really good workout! cucumbers and zucchini at the moment ...despite the rain we are already eating them:)
ww by next year your Angel trumpet bits from me will have flowers and you can start crossing your trumpets too, I will be sending more bits out by then of different colours to anyone wanting them.
Perhaps some seeds as well by the look of the number of pods ...since I don't think I can grow that many:)
Lots of heat heading your way K stay cool mate!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 19, 2007
10:43 PM

Post #4311374

Hello everyone. chrissy your little trumpet bit is standing up well here. I have decided I want more colors. You have a new convert. I hope they will grow well down here. I have seen the common white one growing by the sea in Portland but no colored ones. I saw a gorgeous apricotty orange one on internet. I WANT !!!
I may have to make a small trumpet garden. Can you or anyone else please send me some cuttings ?
Maybe this is not the right time to grow them ,perhaps seeds would do better as it seems to be pod time in chrissy's garden.
I will gladly pay postage and if you want to swap for something let me know. I do have some epiphyllum bits here. Colors unknown but who cares they are all gorgeous.
We had 4 spots of rain or maybe it was 6.
The clouds came up , there was a bit of thunder and lightning, a quick shower then poof !! gone elsewhere.
Yesterday was extremely muggy and it looks like today will get the same.
There was rain about 10 miles away but we stand here on our hill and watch it rain on everyone else.
I am cutting back lots of plants now as the garden slowly dries out and the Spring flowers go on holiday,.
Now is the time of the day lilies, agapanthus and red hot pokers. They are lovely this year. (pic is one of my day lilies )
Must away as visitors are arriving.
I wish you all a very Happy Christmas and lots of good luck in the New Year. Please drive safely all.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 19, 2007
11:04 PM

Post #4311438

Will send both white and Grande Marnier cuttings after New Year (I would send sooner but the mail may be delayed what with Christmas 77 I will let you know when so you can grab them straight away, they flower all through the warm season in flushes.I am still waiting on my order from a Nursery down here and it has been taking a while ...I will let you know how I go with that.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
2:50 AM

Post #4315155

Whoo Hoo guess what has arrived! ...I was expecting them Monday
Look!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
2:57 AM

Post #4315180

The stuff above the bottom two things is the outer cork covering on the seeds ...I have peeled it off.Under that on the left is a seed on the bottom right is a cork covered seed more info later ...meanwhile my visitors are patiently waiting so I can show you this ...these are the plants first 5 and three cuttings all bedded down in a sandy mix with a seasol shower ...I am not putting them into the garden until the big wet is over ...ha ha ha the sun peeped out for about half an hour to say hello to my new babies ...more info when my guests have gone, Alistair ...thanks mate fab stuff more info later.
Enjoy your day everyone (I certainly am:)
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
3:04 AM

Post #4315210

Wow that was quick (after I had been slow!!)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
3:05 AM

Post #4315215

Hold the horses! I forgot the pic I am so excited!:)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
3:08 AM

Post #4315227

Ha ha ha yes I was thrilled and caught off guard as I have a house full of visitors back with a big wrap for you when they have gone ...thanks again! :)
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #4316575

WTG! Chrissy. Happy Holidays!!!
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #4317104

Oh Lily_love I am very excited because some of these are Australian bred and I may have something you folks in the states haven't seen yet,I must away for a bit in a little while but in case you or I get too busy before Christmas I want to thank you for your most generous encouragement and what's more for letting me peek into the beautiful place that is your garden ...I hope you have a joyous Christmas and let's hope that 2007 brings us great garden adventures!, good health and love.
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
7:48 PM

Post #4317216

Thank you, Chrissy, I'll be looking forward to our next growing season. For now, wishing you and all your gardening friends a beautiful Merry Christmas. Peace to the World.

Kim
http://www.thecompassgroup.biz/merryxmas.swf

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #4317305

I can't help myself look what I received! (Alistairs own description :)

'Musketeer' (large funnel-shaped pendent orange)
'Alphonse Mucha' (superb (though I say it myself!!) pendent cream flushing apricot with age and long languid tendrils - very vigorous large free-flowering plant with dark quilted leaves).
'Elfin Pink' - (very pretty pink pendent flowers with curly tendrils. tall grower).
'Zabaglione' - (another cream but a compact plant producing truly amazing quantities of flowers).
and Brugmansia versicolor (peach form) - rather like the ordinary apricot but longer flowers dangling on longer stalks, slightly stronger colour and with better scent - great for training into a standard too.

These would be sent to you by mail as plants established in 4" pots pruned back for posting. With this weather we've been having they will take off like rockets.

They are all newly released varieties I have raised here from seed and selected, and are unique to my nursery. They are mostly at the top end of the price range
Alistair was really generous and gave me a very big discount and extra cuttings of some other brugs plus seeds. The plants are strong, healthy and busting to grow.I am very delighted to have them.

Alistair when you have a moment why don't you pop in and have an Angel chat with us? we would love that.:)
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 21, 2007
10:01 PM

Post #4317497

Ah, I'm jealous now, Alistair isn't going to send me none of those because I'm too far away. Anyhoooo, Merry Christmas all the same.
Kim
p.s. I'm happy for you Chrissy!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
10:18 PM

Post #4317557

Brug pods today still hanging on and growing quickly even after the storm last night (every day I expect them to be gone! cluck cluck cluck :).Thanks Kim I knew you would be happy for me ...I can send pictures though ...we still don't seem to have doubles here (although I don't think my heart could stand it!)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
10:20 PM

Post #4317567

And these

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 21, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #4317582

And the shorter round ones on the white ones

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
10:45 PM

Post #4317640

Here is a pic of 'Zabaglione' in full flower.

Thumbnail by Alistair

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #4317650

this is the same plant in cool weather colour

Thumbnail by Alistair

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4317659

'Alphonse Mucha'

Thumbnail by Alistair

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #4317664

'Musketeer'

Thumbnail by Alistair

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 21, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #4317669

'Elfin Pink'

Thumbnail by Alistair

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4317927

Wow! What beauties!!!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 22, 2007
3:30 AM

Post #4318406

Hello all on. I am definitely getting more of these gorgeous plants.
Chrissy , you have created a monster, another brugaholic , with your gift of the little cutting
I have just been in the American sites and am amazed at the different ones available. I asked a question while I was in there but silly me , I could have asked it here. Put it down to being carried away by the sight of the flowers.
My question was, can I grow these in pots permanently ?
My idea being that as most of my garden is too windy for these darlings to be out in, I thought I could gradually increase the pot size until a manageable size. Will they do well ? I could keep the pots in the more sheltered corners where i can't actually plant in the ground.
I see that a lot of cuttings of these can be started in water too.
Another silly question. Is there any difference between. Angels Trumpets , Daturas and Brugmansias ?
Are they just different names for the same plant ?
After coming back here to our forums and seeing Alistair's flowers, there is going to be some competition for my epiphyllums in the garden.
How nice to meet you too Alistair. I never saw the variety of color in these before.
I guess there are still hundreds of plants out there waiting to be recognised and appreciated.
Have a Happy Christmas everyone.
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2007
5:42 AM

Post #4318837

Nice to meet you too!

You can keep them in pots, but they hate being root-bound: one problem is that they eventually produce a mass of extremely fine roots which can very quickly suck every last drop of water out of the mix and so make it unwettable - if that happens you may need to use a wetting agent.

I find with pot grown plants that it is really better to grow them in pots for a season and then repropagate, potting them on into bigger and bigger pots till you get to the size you want each year i.e. they do best when the roots have room to extend into new mix.

Alternatively you can unpot them in late winter, reduce the root ball by at least a third (with a bread knife or a saw) and put back into the pot with fresh mix.

Pot grown plants need to be liquid fed every week, as well as having a good quantity of slow-release in the mix. Some people swear by a high phosphorus fertilizer and others say use low phosphorus!!! (I use low which seems fine, but those who advocate high say that they get more flowers on smalller plants). It is virtually impossible to overfeed Brugmansias.

Yes Brugmansias and Daturas are different (though Bs have been called Ds in the past). Brugs are generally bigger and much more long-lived. There are technical diferences in the fruit and seed as well.

Angels Trumpet is the common name for Brugmansia. Daturas are sometimes called Devil's Trumpets, or Thorn Apples.

This message was edited Dec 22, 2007 4:44 PM
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2007
6:30 AM

Post #4318894

Quick Botany 101:

Datura is a genus of plants in the family Solanaceae
Brugmansia is another genus of plants in the family Solanaceae, these are the plants most commonly called Angel's Trumpets

Most plants in the family Solanaceae have more or less trumpet shaped flowers - some face up, some hang down.
Nearly all are poisonous if eaten, some are poisonous to touch or smell. And yet, this family of plants also contains some of our most valuable food crops. No wonder the Europeans were afraid of the Tomato when it was first introduced!

Here are some other genera in the family Solanaceae and their usual common names -

Genus Name -=- Common Name
Acnistus -=- Mini Angel's Trumpet
Anthocercis -=- Tailflower
Atropa -=- Deadly Nightshade, Belladonna, Devil's Cherry
Browallia -=- Bush Violet
Brugmansia -=- Angel Trumpet, Angel's Trumpet
Brunfelsia -=- Yesterday Today and Tomorrow
Calibrachoa -=- Seaside Petunia, Midget Petunia, Wild Petunia, Million Bells
CAPSICUM -=- Ornamental Pepper, Chilli Pepper, Hot Pepper, Sweet Pepper, Bell Pepper, Capsicum Pepper, Hungarian Pepper & Paprika Pepper.
Cestrum -=- Cestrum, Jessamine
Chamaesaracha -=- Five Eyes
Cyphanthera -=- Ray-flower
CYPHOMANDRA -=- Tree Tomato, Tamarillo, Cyphomandra
Datura -=- Devil's Trumpet, Horn of Plenty, Thorn Apple, Hindu Datura, Indian Apple,
Jimson Weed, Sacred Datura
Duboisia -=- Pituri
Exodeconus -=- Galapagos Shore Petunia
Fabiana -=- Pichi, False Heath
Hunzikeria -=- Cupflower
Hyoscyamus -=- Henbane
Iochroma -=- Iochroma
Jaborosa -=- Jaborosa, Springblossom
Juanulloa -=- Goldfinger
Lycianthes -=- Blue Potato Bush, Paraguay Nightshade, Gingerleaf
LYCIUM -=- Desert Thorn, Boxthorn, Squawberry, Water Jacket, Wolfberry, Matrimony Vine, Gojiberry
LYCOPERSICON -=- Tomato, Wild Tomato
Mandragora -=- Mandrake, Devil's Apple, Dudaim, Love Apple
Nectouxia -=- Stinkleaf
Nicandra -=- Shoofly Plant, Apple of Peru
Nicotiana -=- Smoking Tobacco, Flowering Tobacco, Jasmine Tobacco, Ornamental Tobacco
Nierembergia -=- Cup Flower
Petunia -=- Petunia, Wild Petunia
PHYSALIS -=- Tomatillo, Husk Tomato, Miltomate, Tomate de Fresadilla, Cape Goosberry, Groundcherry
Salpichroa -=- Pampas Lily-of-the-valley
Salpiglossis -=- Painted Tongue
Schizanthus -=- Poor Man's Orchid
Scopolia -=- Himalayan belladonna, Russian belladonna
Solandra -=- Chalice Vine, Cup of Gold Vine
SOLANUM -=- Eggplant, Aubergine, Turkeyberry, Potato, Jerusalem Cherry, Potato Vine, Nightshade,
Streptosolen -=- Marmalade Bush, Orange Browallia
Withania -=- Ashwagandha

I have left some little known plants, and those with no common names off this list. Poisoning potential notwithstanding, our gardens and our tables, would be very much the poorer without this group of plants. The genera given in capital letters are the ones which produce edible fruits or tubers. Even within individual genera, in many cases only certain species and certain parts of a plant are edible. Many plants in this group contain bio-active alkaloids with medicinal and traditional uses, but all should be treated with care at all times as there are very few species, if any, which can be considered completely harmless. This is a very interesting group of plants, all in all, and I wish you well with your flowering beauties.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 22, 2007
8:37 AM

Post #4318976

Holy Smokes turn my back for a moment (well maybe a few hours)
and look what happened ...Oh the pictures are magnificent!
Be still my beating heart!
Thankyou for that Alistair ...I love them very much ...that Elfin Pink
has taken my breath away! ...When you have a moment (sorry to ask but pretty please) would it be possible to see Belgium Tiger
Sugar Pink and Chloe? ...since the Australian Gardeners seem not to wander around the forums I think that these beautiful pictures will inspire them. How far away from doubles are we? do you think ...although I personally think the singles are more elegant and really do look like heavenly trumpets!
K wow that was a great lesson and this family of plants really have an amazing story to tell, as to being poison I am a very allergic type of person but have grown these and many other plants that are toxic for decades ...with children and animals everywhere and so long as we are sensible you are more likely to be struck by a bus that get killed by an Angel's Trumpet :) I hope you do like them as I am sending you a couple of my Grande Marnier after New Year ...sending some more to anyone who wants them ...77 I did not think you would be interested (I thought I sent you 2 ) so I will send the colour and the white ... does anyone want some white too it smells devine!
Now Alistair breeds some wonderful Angels at his Nursery ...I am sure he will post his link if we ask him, he is an expert and knows what he is talking about.Warning irresistable!
Brical when my babies are big enough (probably by Autumn) I will send you some of mine ...as you were kind enough to send me my first pink ...for those of you who can't wait ...check out Alistairs link

Thanks again Alistair ...I love them!
chrissy
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2007
1:43 PM

Post #4319250

With regard to allergies and poison. Two different things entirely in some ways. I am violently allergic to raw tomatoes, and the plants give me a rash as well, but only when they dry out, and yet I can happily eat cooked tomato containing foods like sauce, soup and tomato paste (Pizza, YAY!). the dividing line appears to be cooking the tomato enough to break down all it's internal structure - fried slices and dried tomato products which maintain the physical integrity of the fruit are no good for me either. For most people the raw tomato is a salad delight, but for me it might as well be poisonous! None of this stops me growing my own tomato plants, I just have to watch how I come into contact with the plants.

I wasn't trying to suggest that you shouldn't grow any of these plants (with suitable precautions re pets and small children) just pointing out how interesting and broad ranging a group of plants they are. I mean, here you have a single family of plants encompassing everything from the Borgia's favourite poison, to hallucinogens, to medical drugs, to folk remedies, all the way down to the humble spud, then on top of that you have some of the most attractive ornamentals going. It is quite a family!
77sunset
Merino
Australia

December 22, 2007
9:10 PM

Post #4320196

Thank you so much Alistair and kk.
I was aware of the family solanaceae and their good plants as well as the bad. , but there are quite a few on your list kk that I did not know about. I have been looking again at your pictures Alistair and I have been also peeping in on the American sites. I know this is something a plantaholic should not do but I can't help it. You know the feeling chrissy. It's really all chrissy's doing by sending me a cutting, I just had to have some different colors. Next thing I know I'll be making a house for them.
I'd better not say that too loud. Hubby says no more shadehouses.
I only have 5 and they are all full.
My best action is to have a Brug in flower and show him then tell him about all the other pretty colors. He will definitely like them.
I do all the garden here but he is very good at showing it off to everyone ( giving me credit of course)
He does help really, if I ask, but I find most hubbies should be kept from helping too much in gardens. They tend to help without thinking and never ever let them near the Roundup.
Sorry Alistair, I know there are lovely men who can garden properly.
Chrissy , there definitely was only 1 Brug and it is standing up well now.
I see that you can get smaller ones that would suit a pot better, Alistair. Are these available in Aust. ? The rain has stopped here and we did get about 3/4 of an inch which the plants are happily slurping up. Thankfully the wind has gone too. I have never seen such gusts for a long time here. Luckily nothing was damaged.
Have a very Happy Christmas everyone and I wish you all the best for the New Year
May it bring you all good luck (and lots of new plants too).
Jean

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 22, 2007
9:44 PM

Post #4320255

Hi 77 and K and A and everyone ...ha ha ha I know what you mean't K ...I always appreciate all the hard work you put into our threads ...I mentioned the poison thing because some folk don't understand that we live happily in our gardens surrounded by "bad" plants and yet freak out at some plants being named as poisonous.
I love my Rhubarb but the leaves are toxic etc. So may I send you some angel cuttings?
77 you are a lady after my own heart!
I haven't time to explain this morning but the Angels are tough ...after the minus 5 freeze some of my rooted cuttings looked dead ...but they grew up from under the soil as soon as the weather warmed up. Don't worry you will be just fine with them ...
Gotta go out but I will be back this arvo ...I hope:)
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 22, 2007
10:07 PM

Post #4320296

Great info there KK!

Chrissy I'm not sure whether its OK for me to be posting a link to my own nursery here, but thanks for the plug!! If anyone wants it though, drop me a Dmail. I'm afraid I don't have any pics of those others - they are on another pc which fried itself :-o

Jean yes there is a range of sizes amongst Brugmansias available in Australia - from gigantic to (relatively) compact!

Must go and start thinking about Xmas now...I like to be prepared well in advance LOL
Kaelkitty
Adelaide
Australia
(Zone 10a)

December 23, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #4320471

Yeah Alistair, a day and and a half or so is way more time than you really need anyway, LOL!

Chrissy I WOULD like a Brug or two, I'm just not sure how they will cope with my once a week only watering schedule - maybe you should wait until the autumn when it is not so hot and send me the cuttings then?

TTFN, KK.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 23, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4320548

Shall do K :) but really they are pretty tough, just lots of mulch and the pot needs protection from the sun so the roots don't cook, semi shade is the best for you I think ...just let me know when you are ready.
Alistair ...whatever way you like it ,but I see links to Nurseries in many forums and since you are in Australia I am sure there is no problem, by the way one of my friends over in the tropics gave you a big rap mate! good on you and thanks again ...little leaves poking out already on my new Angels :)
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 30, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #4339099

Well the New Year is almost upon us!
Just a quick update on my pods ...golly so many!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 30, 2007
12:53 AM

Post #4339125

And on the white one

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

December 30, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #4339187

What I have observed is the Angels seem a tad happier in the the more temperate conditions.I was worried that the ones in full sun would lose the pods as the tree drooped in the high temp yesterday ...however they were ok.The flowers were not happy though.My Angels in the more shaded area (sheltered from arvo heat did not blink.This worries me a little as to the correct temps to germinate the seeds.Two of my first pods are 3/4's brown ...perhaps I will pick one when the brown is all the way up to the stem ...it looks almost ripe to me.
Alistair Yooo Hooo any points on the seed germination temp?
our American friends seem to do it in the Spring or Autumn ...does this mean Summer heat may be too much, I have read in the brug forum that the Angels shut down over 80F ...but I think that must be the exposed ones rather than the sheltered ones.Any clues would be greatly appreciated:)
All my potted new Angels are leafing out ...the one piece from Brical that I planted into a sheltered position in the garden is slightly ahead of it's potted pieces.I was reluctant to plant the others into mud (that is what it was at the time) never the less it roared away
while the potted ones are doing well but the growth is not as quick.
I am very happy with them all :)
Next year you will be doing this too :)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4339815

Chrissy seeds should be planted when the soil temp is generally about or over 20degC. As long as the containers are not in direct sun, they should be fine to plant now.

If the pod as started to brown, the seeds shouild be ripe. If you plant them immediately there is no need to peel the corky coat off (IMO).

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 2, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #4349356

Waaaaaa ...waaaaaaaa ...
Guess what was born New Year's day! can you hear them crying?

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 2, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #4349381

Little angel babies! ...Alistair sent me the seeds:)
this gives me an idea of how they germinate ...quite easily!
The seeds felt very fresh so that might be why they have germinated so quickly.
This is how it looks ...sorry I don't know how to adjust the camera.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 2, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #4349417

I will be chewing my nails waiting for the first two leaves to fill out, the little brown seed skins have fallen off about half of them.
I have a little wire grid over the top of them to prevent birds coming in to take them.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 2, 2008
12:48 AM

Post #4349477

So it has been 10 days and may have been quicker if not for the rain and cooler temps until the last three days which are hovering between 70 to 85 F.
The mix is just sharp washed river sand and a bit of soil (mostly sand). This is what I use with great success for almost everything.
See the lovely active growth on the plants from alistair and brical1.
I will be sending cuttings of the Angels next Monday both white and Grande Marnier to everyone so you can play too :)
Thanks again Alistair and brical1
2008 " The year of the Angels"
happy gardening and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 2, 2008
12:56 AM

Post #4349514

Congratulations Chrissy!!! What a way to bring in the New Year!!!
Kim
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 2, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #4352480

Excellent Chrissy!

Look what opened on Jan 1: not a thing of great beauty, but a step in the right direction to some new double Brugmansias in Oz :-)

Thumbnail by Alistair

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 2, 2008
9:41 PM

Post #4352513

Now that is exciting news isn't it! While not being the most beautiful I have seen it is interesting and a great step forward ...smell?
I think it looks like it might evolve sometimes you can't go by the first few flowers ...as specially in the doubles ... our American friends trial things three or four flowerings before the real character comes out. You never know those tendrils may turn upwards etc. Great news Alistair :) thanks for letting us peek
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2008
12:09 AM

Post #4353067

It smells great, and ALL day (though stronger at night).
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 3, 2008
12:10 AM

Post #4353074

The first buds on this kept dropping when tiny, later ones developed inot deformed flowers, so hopefully the improvement trend will continue. Its rather facinating how they seem to practice at getting it right!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4365733

first leaves:)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #4365750

Aren't they beautiful? here have a cigar everyone :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #4365768

Every plant and cutting looking great!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #4365798

Some of the pods hanging out over my fence into hubby's area receive more sun and are now reacing 9/10 inches long and starting to brown ...I must wait although anxious because the stem is still bright green and the pods may be reacting to hot sun rather than ripeness, folks on the brug forum say wait until the stem turns brown.Keeping an eagle eye on them.Excuse the mess ...

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
2:51 AM

Post #4365820

These are turning a little brown now while the ones in the shadier places are a lovely velvet green

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
2:57 AM

Post #4365852

The round ones are bulging and look very happy too

Thumbnail by chrissy100

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2008
3:02 AM

Post #4365879

Hello everyone!!
I have a ?... when is the pod ready to harvest? the stem is kinda brown and the pod has some brown on it..I would hate to lose it...3 noids were blooming my first..1 white a pink and a yellow...
this is it in November.

Thumbnail by kimarj

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4365903

Chrissy you have sooo many baby pods!!
LOL I got 1 :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
3:11 AM

Post #4365921

Sorry I posted the "spindle" type pods by mistake.
Hi k I guess it must be pretty cold in your part of the woods ...we still have many warm months to go yet and I am just feeling my way here ...new to Angel pods and seeds myself ...I am charting this to show others how to start from scratch so I can only say that if you do lose that pod Spring is not far away and all it takes is an artists brush to make pods that can ripen throughj the warm months.That one of yours may just sit quietly through the Winter and finish it's growth in the Spring ...let us know how you go ... and good luck :)
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #4365936

Yes k and it only took a paintbrush ...I haven't finished the journey yet but golly it sure is fun ...remember you can do it too :)
kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 6, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #4365945

Thanks Chrissy...the bees made this pod :*). This is a great thread!! I will be watching and learning.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 6, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #4365961

Good on you mate that is what it is here for
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 7, 2008
6:07 AM

Post #4370226

Hello all on here. chrissy or Alistair, a question. chrissy little brug piece is going great guns and I have a couple of pieces from someones tree that my daughter sent me. I had told her I was looking for new bits. . They are in water and in only a few days are showing lots of little white dots around the base. Are these the start of roots ?
If so, how fantastic and fast. The pieces are supposed to be apricot and I can't wait to see them flower. I know it's a long way to that yet .
I saw on ebay, believe it or not , some seeds for a red brug going for over $40. Are they that valuable or rare ?
I can understand a decent plant for that , but for seeds. Am I missing something about them. I think they are beautiful but I wouldn't pay that even for an epi.
Would our really hot weather be making my little bits grow quicker ? When should I pot them up and in what ? chrissy's little piece is in a river sand/ potting mix blend.
I love your flowers Alistair, do you sell them ?
I saw a beautiful purple and white which looked just amazing.
I'll keep popping in here as mine grows , just so I can pick all your brains for info.
Happy gardening, Jean.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2008
6:35 AM

Post #4370262

Hello all!
Chrissy, what do you know? Not only have you a following of brug enthusiasts in your homeland but me as well!!!
If you don't mind, I will follow this thread closely. So much info!

Thanks! ☺
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

January 7, 2008
6:40 AM

Post #4370264

http://shop.seedsprout.com/main.sc try this I hope I have it right this time lol!!

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 4:51 PM

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2008
6:48 AM

Post #4370268

77Sunset, I bought a supposedly "red" brug as described on eBay, that turned out to be a brugmansia sanguinea. It died on me.
The purple and white, that may be a datura. I got one that's called Blackcurrant swirl. I haven't seen any purple brugs here.
Yes, those little white dots will eventually become roots. Ain't this fun?

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 7, 2008
7:00 AM

Post #4370273

Wow! Good prices on the seeds. Thanks for the link brical1.
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2008
7:13 AM

Post #4370280

Sanguineas (the reds, plus a few other colours) can be very hard to maintian in extreme climates: where there is a boiling summmer and freezing winter. In much of coastal Australia they can be grown quite easily, though they tend to look sad and don't flower during summer: but they are autumn to spring growers here. They come from very high altitude in the tropical Andes.

$40 seems far too much to pay for ordinary sanguinea seed, but there are quite a number of rather rare selected cutivars of sanguinea, and crosses between named cvs might reasonably attract a greater price!

Yes those white dots do signify that the cutting will root soon!

Once they have some roots a few centimetres long you can pot them up into standard potting mix: I add a generous amount of slow release fertiliser (a full double handful per 30 litres of mix is what I use and it works well). There is divided opinion about whether to use low or high phosphorus (P) slow release pellets. I use low and that works for me. Some people say using high P stimulates earlier and heavier flowering on small plants. Once they are in active growth you can liquid feed weekly as well - seasol, nitrosol or miracle grow etc. It is virtually impossible to over feed them!

I prefer to put the rooted cuttings into small pots (4 inch/100mm) first rather than straight into a larger pot. This prevents the unoccupied mix from souring before the roots colonise it. Then pot on as soon as they have filled the first pot size with roots. They don't like being root-bound.

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2008
7:14 AM

Post #4370282

That link brical gave is to Brenda Delph in Florida: she is a much respected and very reliable hybridiser and grower.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2008 6:23 PM
brical1
Inland S.E QLD
Australia

January 7, 2008
7:23 AM

Post #4370289

And for an Aussie Brug Nursery > http://www.meroomeadowperennials.com.au/
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2008
7:27 AM

Post #4370292

No comment on that link LOL

Thanks (blush...)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 7, 2008
7:56 AM

Post #4370300

ha ha ha :) good on ya mate! Alistair has some beautiful stuff and the stuff I recieved was sturdy and very healthy ...I suggest everyone should shout themself a good plant or two to play birds and bees with ..a huge thrill ...seeds will be wonderful too but will take time before we can grow them to cross ...then trial. A couple of sturdy colours to be going on with will yield great results quicker ...I think both is the way to go for a start.Just think of the fun!
Look for your pieces from me over the next two days (white s and Grande Marnier) 77 I think it is easier to grow in the sandy mix than muck around with water, just make sure they get a bit of morning sun ...arvo shade and they will go just great.Our American friends are striking them in water in adverse conditions which we don't really find we need in our warmer conditions, last year I struck hundreds of pieces for gifts and charity fetes etc ...as I said before just like geraniums except they (flowers) burn off in severe heat ...hence the morning sun and arvo shelter behind western buildings/fences or trees.
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 7, 2008
8:06 AM

Post #4370304

Double blush :-)

I agree Chissy about not needing to strike cuttings in water here, but I do find its a good method to use for propagating during winter.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 7, 2008
9:01 AM

Post #4370324

Well chrissy , you've finally done it. You have convinced me I need Brugs. I'm a Brugaholic. I just looked at Alistair's pictures. I want them all.
I will put my pieces in pots . I am amazed that the little dots showed up in 2 days. I wish all plants took root that quickly.
Maybe our hot weather is good for something after all.
I am clearing a nice spot behind a fence with sun until about noon, so not too hot. The fence shelters from the wind (mostly) I will put some shade cloth across the north side to stop any hot wind. green house breaks a lot though..
Luckily we don't get frost on the hill .
I saw a picture of Grand Marnier, How lovely. . I'm going out in the cool evening now to get a few epi cuttings potted. I have 100 cuttings that have rooted and need potting on.
Have a nice evening all and happy Brugmansing . Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 7, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #4370482

The thing is 77 that your Angels will give you months of beauty and perfume, not to mention enchantment while the wonderful eppies are gone in an instant (like a beautiful dream) ...I like beauty to stick around for a while, my angels have been flowering since the first week in spring and will go on through to late may ...I think you will agree that is pretty amazing ...mine have been constantly flushing.
I love them.Just imagine the excitment of waiting for unknown flowers to appear. The great adventure I have experienced already ...money could not buy. I suspect that I am a bit of a seed freak, can't help it ...finding out that we can breed Angels has been such a humungous revelation to me ...that I can't express the joy.
I can see way down the track to a time when we have as many if not more than what is available overseas. Of course we know that like many plants the white is dominant, but it does not matter to me
because this is just the beginning of a lot of fun and adventure ...:)
and swaps!
Hi h golly what are you doing here? lovely to have you ...so happy you are following the thread ...I feel a bit shy about it now ...but determined to show everyone who didn't know how, what to do.
I had so many questions myself and thanks to bits and pieces garnered from the Angel lovers in the US I now have seeds on my Angels ...WHO KNEW ...well now I do :)
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 7, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #4370520

77 I forgot to say that I reckon it is a bit like tomatoes first the roots need a light mix to (sandy) grow in well, and then when they are growing well ...put them into good gutsy soil or potting mix and feed them.Once in good soil they will rocket away and most likely give you flowers this autumn ...if not then next spring. Not too much nitrogen ...give it whatever you might have around (not too much in high heat) then when the plant is up around 4/6 ft hit it in the autumn with any of the high potassium/potash stuff if the flowers are shy ...I really never worried about anything more than chook poo,cow poo and blood and bone thrown over the mulch.
Think about training to a single stem so you get a magnificent umbrella effect, you then sit under it and sigh with happiness.
Sweet dreams
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #4385875

Ok despite the awful heat I am popping in to update our Angel stuff
first seedlings here sown in just washed river sand and a tiny amount of garden soil (purchased ...I buy both in bulk)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #4385892

It's in the middle of summer there, Chrissy? Those look awesome! Congrats, mama. BTW; how deep did you sow the seeds? I'll check back in the morning for your answer (please). It's nite nite time.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #4385932

Sorry I missed you Kim ...the broadband threw me off ...geez I hate that! I hope you are enjoying a break. It sure is hot here whew .
I was just about to say that ...I just barely used enough planting media to hold the seed down ...about 1/4 of an inch (firmed down well) ...now I was testing the growing media and these were planted in more garden mix soil and less washed river sand ...planted at the same time and just a little slower.
At this point I have only used seasol (seaweed tonic) but will use some food as soon as the the second set of leaves leaf out.
I really was surprised at how quick this has been ...seeds planted
on the 21st Dec.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #4385950

Next it is very hot here and the plants are feeling it ...here are some of the pods now many as thick and long as Lebanese cucumbers!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
3:56 AM

Post #4385956

More

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
4:00 AM

Post #4385967

And more

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
4:03 AM

Post #4385977

Pods everywhere :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #4385989

Chrissy your are the pod goddess.Do try to stay cool in all that heat!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #4385995

Here are my cuttings and new plants ...the cuttings from Alistair are the ones with the white ID sticks and the plants are without two shorter cuttings (now little plants )are the pink ones from Brical1
I have trimmed off little sideshoots on the ones I want to make umbrella shapes with ...it encourages taller more rapid growth and hopefully will have some flowers this Autumn

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #4386011

Hi I cannot tell a lie it was my trusty little artists brush ...but I did say sorry to get so personal ...I think they forgave me.
Well in that picture you could not see the white markers sorry.
trying again

Thumbnail by chrissy100

kimarj
(Kim) Philadelphi, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2008
4:18 AM

Post #4386029

Chrissy I think thy liked it lol. You will have beautiful flowers :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #4386054

Thanks I mean't they liked becoming mums :)
I am a bit embarrassed to show the leaves but I just can't squish what the butterflies left behind ...I squish the others though ...I have to squish bugs because I garden organically.Well everyone I hope that is inspiring you all.This was my first try and it only took a few minutes a few times ...Happy gardening
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 11, 2008
6:23 AM

Post #4386345

Hello all. just popping in to show you, chrissy. Brugs are potted and the cheeky fella in front with the leaves is the piece you sent before.
I can't wait to have seeds like you. Must rush as hubby wants computer. jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 11, 2008
8:46 AM

Post #4386414

I see little leaves poking out :) you will see how quick they move away now ...very exciting ...now you have a basis to play with :)
I hope you get the same thrill and enjoyment that I am having every day!
Great pic Jean ...I bet they are all giggling and gossiping about the lovely new home they have just moved to.
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 11, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #4389204

Thanks Chrissy, for the tip on sowing seeds. I'm getting a little spring fever here. Though, it's a little early to sow seeds here. I'm preparing myself for next growing season. I've some seedpods that appear nearly ripe? I hope. These are sitting indoor overwinter.
Kim

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #4389557

Looking good! I take the old dead stuff gently off so no critters or mould etc can be hiding in there ...someone advised me to do that ...as specially in wet conditions. Spring is coming don't worry it will be here before you know it! then it will be your turn to cluck :)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4389583

While those being indoor, and I've to be real careful when I water them. Having juggle b/w too much moisture, and adequate humidity level. Those sheaths haven't been a problem so far. I'll gently peel them off if there is symptoms of bugs indoor. Thus far the plants look healthy. I'm relieved, since bugs on brugs aren't a pleasant task to control, especially those of us that gear toward organic gardening.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2008
4:23 AM

Post #4390333

I feel so lucky not to have that problem ...I so admire everything you all go through to keep your Angels happy and alive,before daves garden I never gave a thought to all that gardeners of the World go through apart from the odd doco showing the poor English folk wheeling their orange trees into glass houses ...boy have I learn't a thing or three, I tips me hat to you all!
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
5:11 PM

Post #4391576

Wow, nothing like a first-hand experience in gardening. Chrissy, this morning I found seeds!!! Woooohooooo!

Also, the mentioned molds, that explains experiencing for oneself. I found a seedpod with ripened seeds, but the outer pods was covered with molds (under the dried up calyx). Thanks for sharing the experience.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #4392000

Congratulations!
that's wonderful :)
Alistair said to wait until the soil is 20c (not sure what that is in F) but I would guess in the 60's.
So if you can maintain that temp it could be ok ...though if they were mine I would wait, why not try just two or three and see if it works? ...Hurry up Spring!
Such a thrill :)
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
7:22 PM

Post #4392018

Chrissy; the "seeds" appear like dried/shriveled up raisins. That is the "cord" that encapsulate the actual seeds?

Also, I forgot to mention. I peeled all those dried calyxes off other growing seedpods. Thanks again, for the tips.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #4392062

That is the corky stuff that surrounds the seeds ...Alistair said that there is no need to peel the corky stuff off if the seed is fresh but soak and peel if not fresh ...I found that the cork came off very easily for me (soaked for 1 hour) I could sort of feel the little bean and gently went in from the side (with a little pinch ...it came away easily ).I don't know what to advise you in this regard ...if you plan to plant in the Spring perhaps leave the stuff on the seed ...it may protect the little bean from drying out. Your choice ...if you have enough seeds you can try both ways, mine were peeled.
chrissy (6.30 Sunday morning ...Sydney Summertime.)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 12, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #4392094

Thank you mate, time for a cup of java is sounds like. Enjoy your morning, I'm dancing all over the place this AM.
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #4392562

Ha ha ha good on you mate ...one of the lovely ladies reminded me (zz) that if you only have one tree in bloom ...you can gather the pollen with the brush and tap it off into a plastic container ...you know like the Chinese food container ... and this then will remain fresh in the fridge for 6 months ...so anyone out there who has some plants in flower you can harvest the pollen and store it until the plant you want to cross it with comes into bloom ...now I think that is a blooming good idea don't you?:)
happy day everyone
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #4402679

g'day ...even if it is wet and grey again ...just want to show progress of the fancies.I want to show the difference in the leave size of a small cutting compared to a big sturdy cutting.Lots of times we think a small cutting will survive a swap better than a big one and in the case of Angels ...both work.
I have found thanks to Alistair that a nice sturdy cutting even without leaves will be fantastic.
here look at this

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #4402721

Of course that should read leaf size ...I have already repotted the cuttings from Alistar this morning because the roots were already coming out of the holes in the pots ...wow!
note small cuttings on left doing very well, the cuttings (larger ones)
have been repotted this morning .

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #4402736

The plants

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #4402772

I trimmed off the side shoots of the plants a few days ago and on impulse shoved them into some spare pots with other cuttings (couldn't bare to throw them away ...guess what!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #4402781

Happy gardening everyone!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #4402922

Chrissy, the above bloom is that Charles Grimaldi? I've this one of Dr. D. brug's blossom.

http://davesgarden.com/tools/blog/viewimage.php?did=38932

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
3:45 AM

Post #4403810

Sorry Kim that says access denied I don't know why ...well the picture is taken on a very grey morning and the colour is more salmon/peach than it shows ...I have always thought it was Grande Marnier because it opens white and works it's way down to a deep sort of apricot colour with a slight pink overtone. It often has white and different shades of colour as the different blooms change, do you think it is something else? it is the only colour I have (mature enough to flower) and is my cross with the white ...do you think it could be something else? here showing it in one of it's shades
again

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #4403834

I can't figured out why the link didn't work for you, I could open it from here. I'm not questioning. I though my Dr. D is pretty close to the colour? Here it's.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #4403867

Yes that looks similar does yours get any darker? and my tendrils are a bit curlier, this flower is only a day old I will take another shot tomorrow because it will be darker then ...I would love to know for sure as I will have a great many seeds and it would be nice to know both parents thanks Kim :)
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
6:37 AM

Post #4404271

Looking good Chrissy!

I too thought our 'ordinary apricot', as some people call it, was 'Grand Marnier', but I don't think this is correct. We will probably never know if this one has a cv name. I have grown seed off it and it produces identical offspring, which is weird... It will be interesting to see your seedlings Chrissy.

[I've just resurfaced after a surprise litter of puppies appeared in the living room!! Several sleepless nights later...

Thought the dog was having a pretend pregnancy which she has in the past!!]

Thumbnail by Alistair

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #4404586

Congrats on the puppies I suspect you will be very busy for a while. Well if you say my Grande Marnier is a non named ...apricot then thats is what I will call it ...I trust your ID and it is good to know that. When you grew your seeds from that one did you cross it with a white or another colour? I don't mind if it is the same ... it is going to be a thrill just to know that I grew it from seed ...would it be too much trouble to ask what kind of Angel it is? my white is a pure suaveolens I have grown for over 25 years (hubby nicked it from the Sydney Botanical gardens ) I admired it (you could not buy them in those days) and he sneaked back and picked a small piece. Very naughty I know ...the sign said it was a Suaveolens Alba
.What ever it is it has bred like mad with my unamed apricot I did around three lots with the artist's brush and both of them are covered in pods ... most will be white most likely but there just may be a very fragrant un named apricot amongst them ...mine is lovely but the perfume of the good old Suaveolens is wonderful.
Thanks for the ID and enjoy your little furry babies
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #4406538

I grew seeds which had appeared spontaneously on a plant in the Sydney Bot Gards, nowhere near any other simultaneously flowering Brugs, so MAYBE this one is self-compatible. I couldn't tell the seedlings from the parent plant, so it may also be that there are several genetically different but otherwise more or less identical clones of the apricot in Aus gardens.

I expect you will get somethig different if you have cross-pollinated.

Your white from the RBG is defintiely B. suaveolens. I think the "alba" is a redundant add on. I have never heard of a cultivar of suaveolens called alba. They are usually white anyway.

The apricot is generally thought to be a B x candida, though from its slightly funnel-shaped flower it may be a B x cubensis. As both of these are interspecies hybrids, it is even more strange to get uniform seedlings from this plant - one would expect much more variation as various combinations of the original species characteristics come together.. All a bit odd!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #4406592

Thanks for that ...the funny thing is that having never had a pod ...ever on my Suaveolens.I put a cutting around the back not far from the no name apricot (also never has pods before-hence me never thinking of seeds) and after reading about the paintbrush pollination thing ...here are all the pods, I feel like a bit of a dill never to have thought about it before.However I can see some pods up where I could not reach so somehow they have managed to do something without help. On the chart it shows all the different seed pod shapes and mine have definately two different shapes.
The long pods and the shorter but rounded pods,long on the apricot and rounder on the white ...it is very interesting
Guess I need to learn a bit more :)
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #4406650

The long thin shape of the pods on the apricot come from B. versicolor which is clearly one parent of this hybrid (also contributing its pendent flowers and slender calyx slit on one side rather than broader and toothed).

B. suaveolens characteristically has spindle shaped pods. B. aurea (which, with versicolor, is a parent of B. x candida) has more or less egg-shaped pods.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2008
11:16 PM

Post #4406954

Thanks Alistair ...this morning's shot of seedlings soon to be potted up

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2008
11:28 PM

Post #4406994

Those look like the arboreas. Well done! You should have flowers late autumn or winter. It smells wonderful!! Different from the others.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 16, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #4407265

Yes they are from the seeds you sent ...germinated very quickly ...about 10 days in awful wet weather ...pretty good I think ...I hope mine come up that well when the time comes I suspect they will ...I read somewhere that the little runt types (seedlings are often the good crosses ...do you find that too?) are the seedlings to watch for ...I don't expect anything spectacular or even very different from my first crosses but later in the next couple of years from the ones I got from you and Brical1 ...we can but dream ...I will love them all anyway! :)
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #4407307

Hi Alistair, Chrissy;
I'm interested in being a member of Brugmansia growers, I'm learning more and more from practice. But I want some professional guidance from the pros. I've check ABAD website, but never found any helpful info. Have you any helpful advice for me?
After all, I'm into brugs from a newbie, now I'm harvesting my own seeds. I'd like to learn more.
Thanks in advance;
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 16, 2008
7:10 AM

Post #4408678

Hi Kim me too ...I have read a lot on the net and there is some great info out there ...I will try and post an address if I can find it again ...I am sure Alistair will give you a few clues as he is highly reguarded in those circles. I want to give we ozzies some happy swaps and it looks like there is much to learn, I feel fairly confident with growing things from seed ...I am a seed person ...nothing beats the high of getting that little seed to sprout and the cream on the cake would be waiting for the flowers ...I see already however that some of the leaves of the fancies are different so that would be a clue as they grow. So exciting I suggest you go back to some of the old Brugmansia threads and see what little knowledge they all had to start off with and the love of these things that went from basic whites to what you all have today ...wonderful and inspiring.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #4412346

Welcome to my World!
My little bubby seedlings are in pre school ...it has been almost a month from the time I planted them :) I potted them on from the nursery section.
I was sooooo nervous never germinated angel seeds before ...I found them as easy as growing beans ...bearing in mind they a
a pure arborea so they may be stronger than any sort of crosses.
I think that the little bean type seeds are an easy type of seed by the look of them ...I can hardly wait to harvest mine ...it may be a while because the sun is missing so far this summer,never the less
all the seeds cuttings plants are doing well despite it.
Happy Day!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #4412612

They look very healthy.

I missed the runt question: I RUTHLESSLY weed them out if they are genuine runts - who needs feeble sickly plants even if they have fabulous flowers LOL, BUT Brug seeds often germinate over a long period (sometimes months between the first and last of a batch to pop), so its a good idea to try to distinguish between late starters which may turn out vigorous, and ones which are inherently feeble!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2008
1:00 PM

Post #4414137

OK but that info came from ABAD in a section on breeding ...runts are my words perhaps it mean't the less vigorous types (crosses) ...that is a little confusing ...but in a way it makes sense as most white flowers are strongest in growth in the garden.I must go back and look again, thanks Alistair ...I will give my little bubbies a couple of days to settle in and then start a feeding regime, a little sun would be good.
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #4414150

Oops I forgot to ask Alistair ...could you please tell me what colour Chloe is? I would really appreciate it :)
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 20, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #4429980

Chloe is a soft orange, wit a nodding firm-textured flower. Evidently it is mostly (or entirely) B. aurea.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 20, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #4430237

Thanks Alistair ...hope your puppies are doing well.
Chloe sounds beautiful ...they are all doing very well although we could do with some sunshine ...I think every seed you sent has germinated thanks! I am really looking forward to the vanilla mandarine perfume ...yummy! Most of my plants are now about two feet and the cuttings not far behind ...better get them into the ground (we are on clay here).I haven't any built up beds ready and will take the risk and plant them into almost pure river sand.In the past it has worked well with the citrus on a bit of a slope, so I think it will be alright. Any thoughts on that? I was waiting until the rain stopped but looking around everything is growing like mad. They reckon the rain is here to stay well into Autumn.
Hi to anyone out there :)
chrissy
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #4430709

Chrissy of course I don't know the lie of your land, but maybe making planting holes filled with sand will create wells for water to stagnate???

I would suggest digging in generous amounts of gypsum and manure/compost to break down the clay.

This summer has been so cold and wet!!!!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #4430975

Evening!
Been following this thread, and time to share my experience :)
Alistair is right. Try gypsum.
I too have bad clay soil. Lost a lot of plants trying to amend the soil. Until a kind local nurseryman advised us to use gypsum, as it's proven to be a clay buster.
...you're doing a great job Chrissy, I am not afraid to try my hands at brugs, anymore.
~Jaye

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 21, 2008
4:15 AM

Post #4431499

Thanks heavenscape and Alistair ...I have grown most of my fruit trees with very good results ...but what concerns me is all the water ...the place I have chosen is on the top of a gentle slope in a nice sheltered pocket and everything I grow there thrives.One of the reasons I have jungle is that it self mulches, self shelters and sucks up excess water.I water in clay breaker when planting ...this seems to work well ...I watch to see how the new plant settles in before adding the goodies ...until then only seaweed tonic to help the roots get going.Wish me luck :)
chrissy

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2008
4:24 AM

Post #4431524

I will have to try seaweed tonic.
Have been ill, and couldn't do much work for a few days. Failed to change the water in the bucket that's housing some cuttings that are already rooted. Today, I spotted one with fungus. Hurried to separate that from the others, cleaned the bucket, refill it with bottled water and applied a few drops of tea tree oil. Just an experiment. Hope that works, if not, another note in the diary!!
Good luck Chrissy!! Moreover, using gypsum can be quite costly.
Alistair, cold and wet?? Sounds like North Carolina's winter!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 24, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #4446459

Hope you are feeling much better heavenscape ...will be posting some pics in the next couple of days ...I ended up planting my angels in built up 44 gallon cut down drums (about a foot in depth) ...that way by the time the roots find there way down into the clay, the worms will have improved the soil and all will be well, they did not blink- even though it was a warm day.I will give them about a week to settle in and then hit them with some good organic fertilizer.
Hopefully then it should be just stand back*smiling*. Looks like my jungle will be magnificent soon (if not a little crowded).
Take care
chrissy

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #4455211

Thanks muchly Chrissy! Energy level back to half...and yes, the experiment worked! The tea tree oil is quite an antiseptic.
Using the drums, that's a good idea Chrissy. If Kel were to be missing some of his 55 gallon drums, he won't have far to look!
Another alternative for me will be lasagna beds.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2008
11:40 AM

Post #4455743

Here is a picture of the drums (built up beds) ...perhaps temporary for now until I can get better organized with my "Angel Walk" garden, I am glad you are feeling better, yes tea tree oil is fabulous for so many things, I am thinking of trailing some natural things to keep the critters from wreaking havoc on the leaves, very difficult this year because of all the rain, but I am determined to find an organic way to deal with this ...so far the foliar spraying of fish emulsion does seem to make a difference in the insect attack, because if you look at leaves I can't reach as apposed to leaves I could reach there is really quite a difference, so perhaps the bugs really don't like the taste. These drums are not for glamour ...just practical at the moment due to being holidays and loads of visitors
keeping me too busy to deal with things that need to, so here they are a drum cut down to three pieces.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #4455744

Another picture to show how healthy the leaves are

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2008
11:47 AM

Post #4455749

My seedlings will go in as soon as this long weekend is over,here they are very healthy and raring to go

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
11:48 AM

Post #4455750

Good day, Chrissy,
Have you got room for a guest from the USA? It's like an ideal warm and lovely place to visit during winter here. lol.
Your brugs look great!!!
Kim

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #4455760

Any time mate, we actually had a dry sunny Australia Day today just perfect 80F with a light Summer breeze, now that is what Australia is about! :)
Hugs chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2008
12:17 PM

Post #4455776

That did it! Brugmansias and Plumeria too? Woooohoooo, I'm coming to see you Chrissy!!!
I wished. lol. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Kim
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2008
9:27 PM

Post #4457652

Good morning all on. Chrissy, an update on my little brugs . See how they are growing.
Also a pic of plant I saw on the American ebay. There was a beautiful red too. Isn't it just gorgeous.
the name is Iochroma Cyaneum 'Violet Churur' . they are a relative of brugmansias.
It goes on my wish I had one list.
We had a hot Australia day so didn't do much. I am making a nice space for the brugs when they are big enough to go outside.
While it is a beautiful cool morning, I will get going on a few jobs around the garden. It is looking very untidy.
Have a great day all, Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #4457674

The pretty Iochroma

Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #4457676

Couldn't resist putting the red Iochroma on too.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #4457999

77 they are looking good ...gradually ease them into some full early morning sun ...until about 10/11 am (depending on your daylight saving ...and heat) then later more sun but shade for hot arvo sun.
Those rellies look interesting ...I wonder if they have a delicious fragrance too, however if you read kk 's thread you will see that just about everything but the kitchen sink is related to our Angels :)
I am off to have a look anyway
happy gardening

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 26, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #4458040

Well how interesting, I can't find anything about perfume but it's nick name is "mini angel's trumpets"

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64772/
check it out :)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #4480308

Ok I have a Y whoo hoo ...that means flowers on on the way :) this is one of the plants from Alistair ...pretty good for 5 weeks!
Sorry don't know which one it is because the names had washed off the labels when they arrived. For those who don't know the Angels need to make this Y before they flower.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #4480352

I did not get to put the seedlings in yet but will do that in the next few days ...I think they are just darling.They are amazing too considering they are still in little pots (now almost full of roots).
How are your cuttings going everyone? should be racing along now, the cuttings I got from Alister are almost as big as the plants.Brical1 has some nice pods going ...mine are now as long as 10/11'' I think I can harvest them soon :)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
2:21 AM

Post #4480710

Look at those babies took off!!! Wow, wow, wow. Chrissy, you're just a terrific brugs' Momma! I'm happy for you, and can't wait until spring arrival here in the States.
Kim
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 1, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #4481230

Hey Chrissy, mine are going great guns. I'll have to make a space for them that the dogs wont charge through. I feel that since the original one i have is doing so well, that the new ones need to be placed alongside it. I can always take more cuttings if I want them else where eh?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2008
12:09 PM

Post #4481614

Hi thanks Kim I am sort of glad that I have managed ok ...it would have been embarressing to have not got them up ...as it was I was shocked by how easy it was ...the seeds were lovely and fresh though ...I hope yours will come up ok for you it must be difficult in such cold conditions.
Sue that is great ...yes if that position is good then the others should be happy too, I found that the flowers are much bigger when the mulch is enriched with frequent liquid feed such as organic fish fertilizer as well as the chook pellets. mind you only if you are getting enough rain,I would not push them like that if it were hot and dry.
I can see a tiny weeney flower bud on the Y already :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
12:26 PM

Post #4481633

Hi Chrissy,
How old is that brug in the picture? It looks so healthy, and the pic's apparently is taken at night? The leaves are in a "sleeping" position? I've read that some where. During the day the leaves are more "open" and spreading.

Just a thought, can't say for sure from the distance. But what are those tiny little white specks on the underside of the leaves? Not many, but there are few that's visible. White fly might be too small for photograph capturing, but mealybug? Geth them "suckers" if indeed they are!!!
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #4481670

Wow chrissy thanks for showing those pictures of your brug pods I will try to pollinate them they bloom this year I am excited to get started...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #4482392

I've this question if Alistair could help please. I've this seedpod on my Suaveolens brug which was hand pollinated to either a NOID pink/peach pollen. It looks like this. Voluptuous plump and large. On one branch.

But, on anothe branch of these dual-trunk brug, these are other seedpods that were open-pollinated, and they appear distinctly different. Possible crosses are the same. (At the time pollination, I've only a peach and a pink brug that were also in full bloom).

How come there are such differences on the seedpods in sizes and shapes?

I'll post the pic. of the brug's bifocated trunk, then 2 pics. later each of the different appearance on the seedpods.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
5:00 PM

Post #4482405

This is the first mentioned hand-pollinated seedpod on a larger cane of the two.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #4482423

These are the open pollinated seedpods. They appear more like of arborea brug? I'm so currious at the marked difference all from one brug. Your comment is greatly appreciated.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #4482885

The white fly are around alright, along with any and all hungry critters, the pictures were taken in the morning on wet dark skyed morning after a huge storm, I was sure I would find damage but instead I found the Y :) I have been picking bugs off everything for weeks (raining all the time washes off any protective measures so I am squishing and shooing lots of critters)
I read somewhere that the pods can be many shapes and what I have found is (on the no name apricot is) that some are long and thinner while some are almost as fat as cucumbers ...but all are long, while the s white are all shorter but really chubby. I was wondering like you if that mean't the seeds would be v like in the more narrow pods and s like in the fatter pods. The article I read did not explain why the pods were different.
Hi P happy you dropped by :) isn't it fun learning together?
Kim I forgot to answer your question re age of plant with the Y ...I got it as a small plant (very sturdy ) about 7/8 " long in a 4" pot through the mail from Alistair.It was just before christmas, Angel growth is amazing when they are happy,
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #4482940

Kim here is a picture of the plants when they arrived, I repotted them into larger pots straight away (seeds were planted on the same day too)...the ones with the white id tags are cuttings, so you can see that the growth has been pretty quick. The date was the 21st of Dec. :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
7:56 PM

Post #4483013

Hi Chrissy;
I've seen how fast these brugs can grow, some said that brugs only bloom on the 2nd year of growth. Others insists that it can bloom the same year from seeds. I've seen one that regrew from the root and bloomed in shortly little over two-3 months.
This cuttings for instance was merely the same size as yours (above picture), that was rooted last July...look at it today. (Not all of them perform this way, but this is Dr. D).

Thumbnail by Lily_love

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 1, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #4483043

Ha ha ha lovely ...I think that they are like us ...all different.I have had them flower from a small cutting in a few months and although I have no experience with seeds before now I will be surprised if these little plants (seedlings) don't give me flowers this year, but I need to plant them out now so I can push them along.You must be so hanging out for Spring ...
chrissy

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #4483063

You aren't kidding! I want to be able to get back to my gardening, and planting. And seeing the butterflies and bees, and ofcourse, flushes of Angel Trumpet blooms and so many more blooms. Common SPRING!!!
pensacolagarden
Pensacola, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #4483646

Me to I am sitting here counting the days till spring...
Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2008
2:30 AM

Post #4492412

Lily_love the different pod shapes may reflect how successful the pollination was: the ones with a bulge in the middle may have only a few seeds in the middle while the other ones are perhaps full - just a guess.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #4492445

Alistair, thank you very much. What are some of the example of aborea brugs, some special, distinct characteristics one can look for? I've noticed some of them, their seedpods appear short and chubby, almost round. And the versicolor brugs are long, extra long.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

February 4, 2008
2:45 AM

Post #4492458

...Likes this seedpod of Dr. D. A versicolor brug?

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #4492776

True Brugmansia arborea is not very common in cultivation, though the name has been misused for about 200 years!!

What Brug growers now recognise correctly as arborea has white nodding rather small trumpet-shaped flowers (about 7-8" long).

The calyx has a long point on it which is almost as long as the corolla.

The leaves are velvety hairy.

The flowers are not produced in typical Brug flushes, but more or less continuously (but go off in very hot weather).

The fruit is egg-shaped and usually covered with minute velvety hairs.

Most arboreas are self pollinating so even a single isolated plant will produce lots of fruit.

It has an unusual (and marvellous) smell - a kind of mix of vanilla and mandarin)

Thumbnail by Alistair

Alistair
Nowra, NSW,
Australia
(Zone 9b)

February 4, 2008
3:50 AM

Post #4492800

'Dr D' is a Brugmansia x cubensis hybrid, but it has a lot of B. versicolor influence, which explains the long thin pod!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #4493014

Help! it is so wet the bamboo collapsed on me last night and knocked off a pod!

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2008
4:54 AM

Post #4493020

I was pretty upset until I opened it ...guess what? though only a smaller pod it had about 115 seeds in it :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2008
5:05 AM

Post #4493044

They have been soaking in warm boiled water mixed with some peroxide as advised (I use that on any wounds ...so it must be good).
I will plant them out but in the next couple of weeks anyone on the Australian forum who wants some seeds D mail me and I will send you some. This rain is a worry it does not let up and I think I will have to cover the seeds on and off or they may drown, wish me luck :)
will post in part two as we go along, will add the link thingy as soon as I have done that.
Alistair the plants and cuttings are going gang busters,the little seedlings that I grew from you are fuzzy strokable little darlings ...thanks so much. Hope your puppies are thriving too.:)
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2008
12:36 PM

Post #4506499

Moving onto seed thread nowhttp://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/811258/
please come over :)
chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2008
12:40 PM

Post #4506506

OK that didn't work #%&* ha ha ha trying again next one

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2008
12:46 PM

Post #4506519

Fingers crossed
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/811258/

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 25, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #4585542

Bumping this thread up to show any of the new folk that may have Brugmansias ...or Angels as I call them (Angel's trumpets) and who may be interested in "making seeds".
happy gardening

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

March 26, 2008
7:04 AM

Post #4710702

Bumping this again for Kelvyn and any newbies :)
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 2, 2011
2:08 AM

Post #8731453

Hi to all can you name this Angel for me please, the flowers are 4 day's old so max's colour, you are all so good thank you ( Alistair & Chrissy )

Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 2, 2011
2:33 AM

Post #8731457

Gena1234 we are over here ^_^ now
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1199920/
Pop in and let everyone see what you have ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America