Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Flowing and Glowing (Tips for Long Hair Part II)

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

This is continued from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/673372/#new

picture used with permission from Jennifer Zivoin of http://www.jzartworks.com/index.cfm If you're trying to find this picture, it can be found more specifically here: http://www.jzartworks.com/illustrations.cfm and scroll to the bottom- it's on the far right.

Thumbnail by cjolene
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, that is an adorable picture! So appropriate for this thread!

(Zone 5a)

Aawww, I love that picture.

It's funny, I don't miss those 3'' and actually am not having to constantly scoot up and pull my hair to the side as much. I'm also not vacuming as much off the carpet. I just might keep it this ''short'' :))

(Zone 5a)

Cjolene, sounds like you've had a rough time. Hope it's all better now!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

lol It's just been a bit crazy...but it keeps me on my toes. ; ) It's calming down anyways. My brother's coming over this weekend to help me restore all my documents, pictures, etc. that I lost when the hard drive was deleted. He saved that stuff onto his computer for me. I lost all my programs, though. But still, if I had to choose between programs and photos...I'm glad I'm getting my photos back. ; )

And all the moving boxes are slowly disappearing. It's slowly becoming a more relaxing atmosphere. Now I'm starting to get excited about all the painting I get to do. lol! ; )

billyporter, after my hubby cut my hair I've noticed I'm losing less hair, too. Before, I think I felt a bit like that girl in the picture- hair all over my clothes, the floor, etc. Even all over my kid!! haha!! ; ) But now it seems to be staying on my head. Perhaps I was at my limit at the bum-length? Anyone else feel like they've reached a limit? I think I remember Tir in in the last thread saying hers was at her shoulders. ; ( That'd bite.

(Zone 5a)

Cjolene, I accidentally deleted all my pictures last year. SIL got a lot of them back with a recovery program, but those that were ''under'' the new ones couldn't be brought back. I can re-take most of them tho. You might be surprised to see how fast your computer runs if you only put back the programs you need. At least thats what SIL tells me. You're lucky to have someone to store your stuff with!

I agree, I'll never go shorter than where I am now. I see that it needed to be done tho. It's so much healthier! I need to get a picture of the new length.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Bummer about your lost photos. Glad you could re-take most of them. I couldn't. I've got a little kiddo whose whole life is documented just one the 'puter. I did a backup when he was 6 months or so, but still...that's about 2 years I'd lose of him. I'd be in tears, I know it. lol

I can't find any of the computer program cd's...must not have unpacked that box yet. Not sure I really care enough to find them. lol I looked up the updated versions to purchase online and found that my hard drive just doesn't have the space to support all the newer programs. Print Shop alone requires a full gigabite! I only have 40. lol So I went to Staples to get a hard drive only to find that they require some special feature on computers...can't remember the name exactly...think it started wtih an s or a c? Anyways, mine doesn't have it. They said I'd have to special order one. Isn't that crazy?!?! I got my computer in 2002- it's only 5 years old- and they acted like it was ancient technology. Mind boggling, isn't it? lol

(Zone 5a)

Mindboggling or big rip-off!

That is the only drawback of a digital camera! Losing photos. We finally bought an external hard drive for photos, and back them up on a disc. Our Gateway with the big problems Microsoft ME is a 2ooo, but the harddrive was no problem to hook up and use. It's a Seagate.

Maybe you can, not put some of the programs back on your computer.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh there's lots of programs I'll leave off. But stuff like Microsoft Works, Print Shop, etc...they need to come back on. I looked into getting an external drive but my brother suggested getting an internal because they're cheaper and he could install it for me. I think he just likes opening up and looking at the guts of computers, really. lol ; )

Well, we're expecting a big ice storm tonight so gotta prepare. Later! ; )

Cj

(Zone 5a)

Our ice storm started as rain around 1:00 am. We were up by 3:00 and power was off from 6:30 am to 9:30 am. We were very lucky. I still have jugs of water sitting all over. We still need to get thru tonight.

I hear you on your brother. SIL loves to talk computer :)) Oh well, it's free!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Wow, I heard folks in OK had the ice storm. I knew it came up here. But I had no idea it went all the way up to Iowa. That's amazing! Hope you're staying safe. Our Walmart was running out of camping supplies when I went up there. lol! ; )

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I just read about a member in Oklahoma who is keeping warm only because they have a fireplace and firewood! And the animal shelter she works for has no power. Everyone, please pray for these people and the animals.

Bolivar, TN(Zone 7a)

For the first 16 yrs. of my life I never had my hair cut. Not once. I turned 16 in March and in May my aunt Bernadine cut my hair. She cried the entire time she worked on it. My hair reached between my knees and ankles. It would take hours to dry and washing was a pain in the butt. Which brings us to present time. I am now 65 and figure I have about 16 yrs. left. So, several yrs. ago I decided to let my hair grow out again and see how long it gets in the next 16 yrs. When I started it was very short and curly. Now it is below my shoulders about 2". Have had it trimmed several times, but am going to wait until Feb. 08 to get another trim. In several months will have to go back to plaiting it at night because it spreads across the pillows and gets in my face and tickles.

A Merry Christmas to all of you. LIZ

(Zone 5a)

We got about 1/4'' ice, but luckily it warmed up instread of freezing and getting windy. I feel so bad for those who lost power in Oklahoma. We have 1 space heater and the oven. It would have been hard to get the heat to the bathroom to keep the pipes from freezing. Very very lucky!

LC2sgarden, Wow! I'll bet she cried! It must have been very pretty. I understand taking care of it tho. I hope it grows very fast in those 16 to 25 years you have left :)) I went to school with a family who didn't cut their hair because of their religion. Now sure what religion, but their Dad didn't want it cut. They had thin hair that went to their waist.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

So then was it a religious thing or a dad thing? lol

I feel bad for the Okie's, too. Especially for those out in the country who won't get their power back for months.

billy...couldn't you put the space heater in the bathroom? In our last house, we didn't have central heat- just a free-standing stove. We had to get a space heater specifically for the bathroom. It was this dinky thing- it plugged directly into the outlet...no cord, even. But my neighbors kept getting frozen pipes and we never did. ; )

(Zone 5a)

I think religion. They were very nice, quiet girls.

My bathroom is large enough to hold a tub, stool, and towel cabinet. No more, tho I did tell DH if we had one in the bedroom we would have it made.

Liz, we need a now picture, to be updated for the next 16 to 25 years :))

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have been eyeing a flat iron for some time, & I finally researched enough & bought one off eBay. I have frizzy hair when it is shoulder length or shorter (or in the humidity) but it remains wavy as it grows longer. So I tried this flat iron, & it made my hair smooth as glass! So straight - so sleek - & not a single snag. It stayed straightened for another 3 days, with no touch ups. It is safe - As long as you use a professional quality flat iron, and a product designed for straightening with a flat iron. It really looked like I walked out of a commercial! It has given me another option for styling my hair, & a break from knots. And it was fun :)
Julie

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Yaaay! Congrats on the new find!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Cool! Very happy for you!

(Zone 5a)

Neat! Since I have straight hair and like it, I know how you feel!

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

We always want what we do not have, right?
I am curly, & wish for straight. Straight haired gals want curls. I don't think there is any pleasing us ladies!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Isn't it amazing the pain, time and money we put into our hair?

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Hairjacked in Rio
RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil - Two men on a motorcycle
grabbed a woman as she walked to church, pulled out
a machete and cut off the waist-length hair she had been
growing for two decades, police in Brazil said Thursday.
The woman, a homemaker whose name was not
released, told police she was walking to church when
she was assaulted late Tuesday, police officer Antonio
Williams da Silva said by telephone from the northeastern
city of Aracaju. Da Silva said the woman told authorities
she hadn't cut her hair for 20 years. "It must have been
nearly a meter and half (more than four feet) long," da
Silva said. The robbers cut the woman's hair above her
shoulders, he said, apparently with the idea of selling it
to be fashioned into a wig. "A hairpiece that size could
cost you as much" as $550, da Silva said. The woman
was not injured, but her assailants could be charged
with battery if caught. Da Silva said it was the second
recent case of hair robbery in Aracaju. Similar attacks
have occurred in other Brazilian cities, where the demand
for human hair is high.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, NOW I've heard everything!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

How terrifying that must be! Those monsters oughta be hung by their hair!

(Zone 5a)

I can believe it happened! It would be devastating!

Years ago some guy with a hair fetish was cutting women's hair. I kept a watch on mine. I don't even remember which state it was in, but there are always copy cats.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Is there no end to the assortment of sickos out there? Sheesh...

(Zone 5a)

Doesn't seem to be. Luckily I've had no close calls with anyone.

Do suppose Wuvie cut her hair yet?

LC2sgarden, how is your hair growing?

Tucson, AZ

For a great guide to a formal hairstyle check out this article http://www.healthmad.com/Beauty/A-Guide-to-Prom-Hairstyle-Updos.78299

Houston, TX

I have waist length straight hair for about 18 years now. I kept cutting it back by three inches & regretting it so now it grows as it will. I didn't do this on purpose. My hair is so baby fine that no one wants to cut it. They are afraid. I paid $150 at a fancy salon just for a cut. Shoot, they couldn't even wash it right. Made a total mess that took me about 45 minutes to comb out. Then all she would do is trim it. Most I've ever paid for a trim in my life! I won't be going back to any salon ever again. I want it to have some layers around the face & so I tried myself to cut "bangs" or something but I'm not good at it. I've been too afraid to go anywhere because they all think my hair is too thin but it's really not thin... just baby fine. Anyway... I decided I'm better off with straight uncut hair anyway. I like the ease of putting it up... that I don't mess with it all the time like most women do. The savings is great too. Most women spend a fortune on their hair. But I found that my hair too falls out a lot the longer it gets. It sheds seasonally. I hate it. It gets everywhere... worst place... down the back of my pants... need I say more? LOL Recently, someone told me to try Neem oil treatments. Well, it's not for the faint of heart. The smell is somewhere between garlic, peanuts & sulfur. But it works! My hair is GREAT now. Shinier than ever too. I've always had shiny hair but this is wonderful. I put it on my scalp with a bottle used for coloring hair. I just warm it up first & squeeze it along my scalp. Rub it in & put on a cap for a few hours. The shampoo afterwards is weird. Takes a few washings. But the shedding hair thing is much better. I once had a teacher in the 60's who was Presbyterian. She never cut her hair in her life. One day we bugged her enough for so long she finally took down her plaited "bun" (which was more like a hat of hair because it was huge). It stretched behind her about ten feet & it was still braided! It was a religious thing. She said her hair was her crowning glory & a gift from God. I'll never forget that. I loved her as a teacher so much that I always wanted to have plaited long hair when I got old just like her. So many older women have short bobs but I don't like that. Looks mannish to me. I guess it was a self fulfilling wish. No one wants to cut my hair even if I try to find someone. I've gone in several places last summer in frustration with it & they just shook their heads when I walked in. No one will touch it. Maybe because I keep it red with henna & it shines so much. LOL Who knows. But after reading LC2sgarden, I think I finally will just accept this is my fate to have long hair & see how long it will grow before I pass away too. I'm 47 now... so maybe it will touch the floor. Give something for kiddos to bug me about like Mrs. Moore, my teacher in 3rd grade. That'd be real nice. :) Well here's my photo so you can see the travesty my friend did to me when she photo'd me. Remember... it's waist length & straight & fine. So how she did that was a nightmare for me. My hair was in shock for a week after this photo! LOL no kidding

Thumbnail by skinfully_bare
Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, it certainly looks pretty in the photo. Since it looks good in an upswept 'do, then it seems that's the best way to wear it. You can still have it up without letting it get overly long. I don't think I'd ever want hair long enough to sit on. Even when I was young and had long hair, I never wanted it that long.

My hair is naturally curly (not frizzy), and I've been cutting it myself for years now. It's silvery platinum, and this natural color and the short, curly cut get me lots of compliments. I've even had women ask me where I get my hair done. My standard answer: In my bathroom.

About fifteen years ago, I kept it colored, let it grow and wore it in a French twist. Big mistake. When I cut it, I looked ten years younger. I've had the natural color now for three years, and I'll never color it again.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Me, too, I am soooo done with the coloring mess. LOL Besides, I like the way the gray is coming in now that I'm older and there's more of it.
That's weird that no salon will even trim your hair, Skin! A trim is good once in a while, just an inch or so once in a while. I used to be able to sit on my hair, and I felt like a change, so I let my sister (a hairdresser) cut off ten inches. Drat! Like you said, it's easier when it's long, just to put it up than to worry about curling, styling, etc.

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

Have you ever noticed, though, in the makeover shows on tv, women always look better (younger, more glamorous, etc.) when their hairdo is shoulder length or only slightly below the shoulder? The hair has "bounce," body, movement, and shape. Skin, I think you simply haven't found a real professional, no matter how much you might have paid.

Whatever, your hair still looks very, very pretty in that photo, as do you.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

True, biv, I do like the bounce and movement of shorter hair. I guess I just got too lazy to mess with it after all the years of having it so long. I sometimes wish I could get the ambition to do what it takes to get it to look that way, but I know me better. LOL

Central FL, FL(Zone 9b)

A good haircut will do wonders for making it easy to care for. The problem is in finding a good haircutter!

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

I may just get a body wave--I've had good luck with that in the past.

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I use NEEM on my garden for pests, & it really does stink. It is used for many skin treatments so it makes sense that it would be good for the scalp & hair. I don't know about that odor following me around for a couple of days though!
I agree - a good cut is absolutely necessary for it to behave. Perhaps the hairdressers are too chicken to test their own skills. I don't know what styles work best with baby fine hair, but that up-do is just gorgeous! Don't give up - You will bump into someone who will know how to work with your hair, if you keep looking. The best part is that any experiment that turns out to be a mistake can be "erased" over time.
Julie

(Zone 5a)

Skinfully bare, that is a gorgeous photo and I love the hair do!!

I guess we would have to see your hair down to see why everyone is afraid to cut it. I know the girl in town here didn't know how to proceed with mine. Finally she put me in a booster seat. I felt silly sitting so tall, but no one else was in there.

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, maybe that's it--they don't want the liability of having you fall off the booster seat??

(Zone 5a)

ROTFL!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.