A Stay in Sitka Alaska

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I was fortunate enough to work in Sitka Alaska this November and enjoyed all the beauties of the Pacific coast of SE Alaska. I stayed in a lighthouse about a mile off shore from the main town. This will show you several highlights of this most beautiful city. This is Mt Edgecombe in the western reaches of Sitka sound.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

They have a raptor center to recover injured birds and release to the wild again. It is a good place to send support dollars. They do a great job getting the birds back to the wild though some have to stay permanently. This boy is one of the residents.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Greensboro, AL

Hey Sofer! That volcanoe looks like a live one. Yes?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This was my home away from home while I worked on the pets of Sitka. I thought of it as a nice fringe benefit for working there. Except when the motor quit on my way out to the lighthouse and I drifted to shore. Oh well adventure is the source of life. This lighthouse is on Rockwell Island. It has its own cistern for water and complete with hot tub and fresh and salt water shower.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well yes and no. About 20 years a helicopter took a pile of tires and lit them on the summit and everyone thought it was becoming active. Today we all think how terrible that is but then everyone laughed when they found out. It is currently dormant. But being on the ring of fire only temporary. This is the big boy at sunset over the harbor this summer.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is a view while hiking along Halibut Pt Rd near the ferry. Lots of beach hikes and short mountain hikes in Sitka.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is someones island home. Common to find in Sitka sound. Many people commute to town with boats. Or swim.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Sitka exists only at the base of the big ice fields in the mountains beyond. Many mountains in the sites around town.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Looking East into the sunset, quite early this time of year. Sun sets around 3 pm in December. Sunrise is around 10am. I love this because I could sleep and and get up for the sunrise! That is the way life should be.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I found sun often in the morning through the fall. Evenings would get quite cold and the sky would clear. Not too much Aurora this far south along the coast. As the sun came up the clouds would form. Though I probably had one out of four days sunny on the SE coast of Alaska.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hiking along the rocky shores near the lighthouse shows a garden I could never duplicate. Sea stars, sea lions, sea otters, and urchins.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This sunset from the light house was unique in the face of the cat it showed me. I have many pictures from this event. What a joy of this half hour of sunset.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Living in Alaska allows for many books to be read during the long nights of darkness. Many people up here read all of the time and most discussions are about their interests in books.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Of course not every day is beautiful. This storm caused the light house to vibrate in the gusts of wind. The waves pounded up to the windows when striking the rocks below. Lightening struck during the night causing cloud shadows to become active creatures in my imagination.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This was my couch from the top of the light house. A good place to sip brandy and read stories from adventures in the Sitka fishing world. Many stories of survival in the storm tossed waters. I wonder how many stories were untold?

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hauling up anchors is a difficult job but someone has to do it.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We should all visit an island so this is part of our lives. It is so true.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Franklin Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you so much for the tour. The pictures are beautiful and your writing makes it all real.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow!! Gorgeous area sofer!! Great pictures too!! You seemed to really capture the spirit of the area.

Greensboro, AL

Another spectacular adventure. Thanks for sharing with us, Sofer.

gloria

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Sofer, absolutely wonderful pictures. That lighthouse is gorgeous. And, might I add about sleeping on islands, the same can be said of sleeping(and working) on ships at sea. How I miss Alaska!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I was back out to Sitka and thought someone would like to see winter scenes. This is a series of the natural look on each island of SE AK. I thought worth photos

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Turning left I go to what I call Waldens repose.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

cresting the hill you are beconed to the waterfront.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Greensboro, AL

Hey Sofer! Good to see you are still adventuring! Love the Sitka photos.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Anyone for a dip in the icy waters?

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

This is a tidal wash through bringing the old giants for a long rest until the next super high tide.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I just have to walk this path. All of these are on an Island about 1/3 the size of a football field.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Finishing a look out to Japan from the lighthouse.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Looking down into a mountain ash and tidal pools from my living room.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Very gorgeous pictures.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Man Sofer, you're living the dream! Thanks for sharing.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank you all. It has been wonderful. 2 weeks and I am back up there and in Juneau. Hope the rain stops. Probably will start snowing. That I like. There was a moment or two that the sun did come out.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

What are those red berries in that 2nd 10/25/08 pic?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Mountain ash tree (bush) here. They are in AK also. I haven't seen them as invasive yet but I don't know if they are native.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I guess the birds like those, huh?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I don't think there are many birds feeding on these. Maybe Warblers? I don't know the bird populations of SE AK. I'll have to ask when I get up there next week. The tree is surviving on a saltwater sprayed location of nothing but rock. You wonder.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

If trees are so tuff, why is gardening so hard? One of those things that make you say, "Hmmmm". LOL Are you going back and forth often?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

There is little light for most plants to thrive. Even on a good summer lots of rain in SE AK. The soil is very acidic and most of the minerals are pretty washed away. Also there is very little soil anywhere. Most of it is peat.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Sounds so different from here. I'd like to visit Alaska some time. I'd love to see the wildlife. Especially the wolves. Do you ever treat any wild animals in your work?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.