Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kapr
Foreston, MN

December 7, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #4272461

i have a 5 or 6 year old hoya that wont flower. what should i do? it hasnt flowered in years.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 8, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #4273029

Can you tell us a little more about the conditions you're keeping it in? How much light does it get? How much water? Fertilizer? Do the leaves look nice and healthy and green, or are there some signs that the plant overall might not be healthy?
kapr
Foreston, MN

December 8, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #4273137

it gets bright but indirect sunlight, i keep the soil moist, and it is miracal gro soil with added fertilizer. the plant looks nice and healthy, it just has no flowers.
growgirl59
Saint Louis, MO

December 10, 2007
6:11 AM

Post #4279737

My hoya seems to thrive on neglect. I think the key is to give it sufficient light (mine is up against a North window) and I think that fact that it's in a room that I don't heat unless the temperature in the room drops below 45 degrees allows the plant to go dormant in the winter. I probably only water it two or three times between November and March. Just enough to keep it from completely drying out. Mine has not been fed in 7 years (though I don't recommend that) and it is pot bound. So you see, it really is neglected, but it still rewards me with a huge cluster of the fakest looking flowers every year. The flowers last a surprisingly long time too.
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2007
6:22 AM

Post #4279765

I had heard that Hoyas put out a sweet sticky sap when they flower, have you had that with yours?
kapr
Foreston, MN

December 10, 2007
7:04 PM

Post #4281128

no i dont think that it has had any sap...
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2007
7:07 PM

Post #4281135

Ok, cool. I was told that when they flower to make sure to keep watch for the sap. I just wanted to be prepared in case they do! :)
shune
Burien, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4282519

I believe they like to be pot bound.
growgirl59
Saint Louis, MO

December 11, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #4284658

Misty, the flower clusters do put out droplets of a sticky clear fluid, but I don't believe it's enough to actually drip. Someone told me that the sap they produce often draws aphids, however that has never been my experience. The flower heads are large, perfumy, plastic looking and, as I said above, they last a very long time. Anyone that likes a unique looking plant that flowers, and is relatively easy to care, for should have a hoya. (And isn't that all of us?) I have a varigated one that is beautiful whether or not it's in bloom. Haven't been on here in a while, Misty. Looks like I missed some good stuff!!! Talk with you soon!
mistygardener
Saint James, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #4285590

I knew I hadn't been seeing anything of you! Hope you jump back in here again and stick around! :) I was really wanting a Hoya after looking at pics on here, and then got lucky with the one I have at Lowe's! I love that place! LOL
blue_eyes
Ashland, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2007
12:40 AM

Post #4285625

Hoyas can be tricky to get to bloom. I have way too many, but only a few actually bloom for me each year. I think a lot has to do with them being mature enough, some are ok with being only cuttings to bloom, but others seem to need to be much older. Most do also like to be potbound. It would help to know which hoya you might have, not all of them have the same growing requirements. You also mentioned fertilizing. I use a bloombuster fertilizer during the growing season to aid with flowering. Too much nitrogen will get you a lot of green growth but will inhibit flowers. Please feel free to visit the hoya forum here, there are lots of very knowledgeable people there.

:) Kim
drivenbonkers
Perth,, ON
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2007
10:42 PM

Post #4326662

I've got a hoya that has bloomed twice a year for years. It's in a west facing upstairs main bathroom, is watered if/when I remember and it NEVER gets fed, and it must be potbound by now. It reblooms on the old bloom nubs...

consider ignoring your hoya, mine thrives on total and complete neglect lol

A month ago, I rearranged the bathroom plants and cut the hoya back severely, it's used up almost all the soil in the pot. It's sitting in the light garden for now.

I'll repot it in the spring when the compost heap thaws...

tammynn
Davenport, IA

January 3, 2008
12:48 PM

Post #4355325

I had a hoya for 9 years before it bloomed. At that time I didn't know anything about plants. I was so surprised when it flowered. I thought I was a master gardener. It was the only plant I had at that time.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 21, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #4432316

If your Hoya blooms, do not cut off the bloom spurs. It will rebloom one the same spur.

Neglect and pot bound are good suggestions. I have two that the roots are pushing up out of the top of the hanging baskets. They had far more blooms on them than I had ever seen. I do not fertilize much either. In winter here, cool 50's and dry seems to work best for the common Hoya. There are some types that are more sensitve to cold.

Good luck ~ pod

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America