-
AuthorContent
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 9, 2007
2:19 PM

Post #4277029

Thanks for the detailed information on "winter-readiness" for plants and trees. I am relatively new to gardening in a true winter New England) so I really appreciated your information. Several of your tips were new to me, so I feel far more informed now. I was especially interested in the idea of wrapping the trunks of my small Japanese Maples.
jadajoy

(Zone 11)

December 9, 2007
2:49 PM

Post #4277103

Well written! Lots of great info I can use. Thanks!
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #4277407

Very good information and pics; thanks for this great article!
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 9, 2007
9:30 PM

Post #4278145

Well written and much enjoyed here! Thanks!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 9, 2007
10:25 PM

Post #4278295

Whoops - a little too late here this year. Autumn was a long time ago and we had real snow before Christmas - I think it's all melted, though. I wish I had read this article in August! The article was great. It's just that around here, the lag between thinking of something and it actually happening is significant! But very well written, thank you. xx, Carrie
tropicalaria
Tri-Cities, WA
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #4278647

Thank you for the compliments, everyone. The article was a bit later than I would have liked, but I was asked to do it anyway, probably in consideration of the warmer climates. There's always next year!

(Some of us start our winter planning in August, and some of us are so far behind we have to start the year before!)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #4279014

Paul, you make an excellent point. Probably if I start planning it now, and putting it in the family sub-conscious, we may be able to think about it in August and do it in October! x, C
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2007
4:04 AM

Post #4279478

Paul, never too late or too early. Lots of good practical information well presented. Thanks so much.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2007
4:27 AM

Post #4279535

Great article, Paul. A lot of those are hard-earned/learned tips that I appreciate you passing along. Such a great compilation of information, very well written too!
mwperry
Brandon, MS
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4282090

Wonderful article, and perfect timing for we Southerners! The leaves on the trees around my have just now starting falling. The weather is perfect (60-70 degrees) for raking and shredding. Thanks for the well-written advice.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2007
2:19 AM

Post #4289354

See! I knew it was just right for somebody! x,C
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 20, 2007
2:44 PM

Post #4313171

Excellent article! I'm especially impressed with your emphasis on using herbicides etc at the proper time. I'm not a fan of the "nuclear path" either, but I think a lot of our problems are related to the fact that people don't always pay attention to the directions or don't clearly understand when to use the product.
binibusybee
Osgoode, ON
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #7185731

This is my 5th winter of winterizing my new garden here in southern Ontario. Moving to Canada from Zimbabwe, Africa, I was very concerned about this new concept of "winterizing'. I duly got a big load of mulch in and covered most of my beds. Wrapped the odd rose bush in hessian, brought in the hosepipes and watering cans. I had a lovely hanging basket of begonias next to my front door and was so disappointed when it got 'zapped' by the first frost some time in early October. This is a good time to test your flowers for cold hardiness, nasturtiums are some of the first to succumb - they look awful after a frosty night - strangly boiled looking! I transplanted a row of miniature roses a few weeks back and they even continued to flower after being transplanted and after about 10 days of nightfrost, sometimes down to minus 7, they are still alive!
I have often wondered why some people cover their cedar hedges alongside the road with ugly tarps in winter. But this spring I had a lot of dead twigs on my small Blue Juniper trees - on the road facing side! It must the combination of salt and wind chill that killed off sections. So I will do some wrapping this year. Another problem in this area is damage done by grazing deer. I planted a small azalia last autumn and did not bother to cover it until I found most of its buds eaten off. I wrapped the rest in hessian and the last buds were saved. A patch of cotoneaster received a severe 'pruning' too last winter, as well as my beds of Ajuba. They all recovered but look awful far too long into the spring.
Winterizing here means taking down the bug shelter and storing the patio furniture, collecting the solar lamps and changing the outside light bulbs back to the good old fashioned type as the flourescents take so long to start up. We drain the fuel out of appliances and if we are really organised we get the christmas lights up while the roof can still be walked on without fear of sliding on ice. But when confronted with that option my son decided it was much more sensible and "green" to forget about twinkly lights!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Winterizing Plants and Trees Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
informative, practical article vhbt 1 Dec 10, 2007 6:04 PM
winterizing plants and trees Juinette 0 Dec 10, 2007 9:15 PM
Good article to revive! Pagancat 0 Oct 14, 2009 2:15 PM
Timely reminder dparsons01 0 Oct 14, 2009 5:41 PM
canna lillies Poptine 1 Oct 19, 2009 6:59 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America