Photo by Melody

Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house: My first "Greenhouse"

Communities > Forums > Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house
bookmark
Forum: Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)houseReplies: 0, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weidner
Merchantville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4280214

I have always wanted a real greehouse, but my home has a yard that is constantly in deep shade all day. The rest of the time it is under a canopy of huge oak trees -- (all of them in the neighbor's yard so I cant cut them down!)

In October at Loew's I saw a greenhouse kit that was only $39; so I figured "why not." It came with several aluminum poles that fit together, four heavy-duty mesh shelves, and a fitted plastic cover -- flexible with zippered front. It also has wheels so it is easy to move around. I put it on my small deck just outside my office window. Inside I put a large (12-inch diameter) thermometer and at the local boating store (West Marine) I bought a ceramic boat heater.

Bottom line: what an excellent investment! The temperature here in NJ has been in the teens on a few nights but the heater keeps the plastic greenhouse a constant 70 degrees. On sunny days when the outside temperature is above 40, I open the zippers so heat does not build up. (At one point on a warm day (45 degrees) I looked out the window at the large thermometer and it read 100 degrees!)

I have put gernaiums and vinca inside and they are blooming all over the place. Also I rooted some coleus cuttings and planted a few herbs. The seeds I planted are doing well as seedlings, and next I am going to early start caladiums.

For $39 this little project has given me hours of enjoyment. (Oh yes, I am in a wheelchair and this makes my gardening a lot more convenient -- easy access and no bending over!)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent information Riverland 5 Jun 5, 2009 4:43 PM
Question about purchasing a greenhouse sueannmail 1 Apr 17, 2012 9:38 AM
4 Season Affordable Greenhouse coloradogrower 4 Nov 10, 2011 10:49 PM
Cedar Built Greenhouse of BC Diva_D 0 Mar 18, 2010 3:47 PM
Home Depot Greenhouse! Nokota 0 Apr 15, 2011 6:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America