Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house: My first "Greenhouse"

Communities > Forums > Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house
bookmark
Forum: Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)houseReplies: 0, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weidner
Merchantville, NJ
(Zone 6a)

December 10, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4280214

I have always wanted a real greehouse, but my home has a yard that is constantly in deep shade all day. The rest of the time it is under a canopy of huge oak trees -- (all of them in the neighbor's yard so I cant cut them down!)

In October at Loew's I saw a greenhouse kit that was only $39; so I figured "why not." It came with several aluminum poles that fit together, four heavy-duty mesh shelves, and a fitted plastic cover -- flexible with zippered front. It also has wheels so it is easy to move around. I put it on my small deck just outside my office window. Inside I put a large (12-inch diameter) thermometer and at the local boating store (West Marine) I bought a ceramic boat heater.

Bottom line: what an excellent investment! The temperature here in NJ has been in the teens on a few nights but the heater keeps the plastic greenhouse a constant 70 degrees. On sunny days when the outside temperature is above 40, I open the zippers so heat does not build up. (At one point on a warm day (45 degrees) I looked out the window at the large thermometer and it read 100 degrees!)

I have put gernaiums and vinca inside and they are blooming all over the place. Also I rooted some coleus cuttings and planted a few herbs. The seeds I planted are doing well as seedlings, and next I am going to early start caladiums.

For $39 this little project has given me hours of enjoyment. (Oh yes, I am in a wheelchair and this makes my gardening a lot more convenient -- easy access and no bending over!)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Greenhouse Kits: Your way into the (green)house Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Excellent information Riverland 5 Jun 5, 2009 4:43 PM
Question about purchasing a greenhouse sueannmail 1 Apr 17, 2012 9:38 AM
4 Season Affordable Greenhouse coloradogrower 4 Nov 10, 2011 10:49 PM
Cedar Built Greenhouse of BC Diva_D 0 Mar 18, 2010 3:47 PM
Home Depot Greenhouse! Nokota 0 Apr 15, 2011 6:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America