Photo by Melody

Bromeliads: These blooms are a first for me!

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 12, Views: 209
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #4281044

This isn't exciting to people who know and grow bromeliads but I know nothing about them. A friend gave them to me last spring and I put them on a shelf on the front porch just because I like the shape and look of them. I never dreamed they would bloom as they never get any direct sun at all. (back side of the porch)

Please let me share my joys with you!
gail

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #4281049

Here is the one at the opposite end of the shelf!

Thumbnail by gessiegail

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #4283847

Since they are in shade they tend to be a little less tubular, but if that's the way you like them, great! This one looks like B. braziliensis or B. vittata. Look for the long flower petals to coil up in a spiral. Unfortunately they don't last very long in bloom.

Enjoy!
Dave.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #4283872

Well, now that I know they can bloom, I will have to give them a new home next spring.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 13, 2007
10:59 PM

Post #4291983

Just wait until they fully open! I keep checking mine since this is the time of year they bloom. They also pup very well so you might have some of your own to share this spring! Those blooms don't last nearly as long as some other bromeliads, but they're so showy I don't mind. I think it makes it more special when they do bloom!

Melanie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #4292044

it is a dark dreary cold day but I can hardly wait until spring to start growing different kinds of bromeliads. This sounds like fun. The light has already come on the front porch...That is how dark it is today.

Thumbnail by gessiegail

Johntique
Winter Park, FL

December 27, 2007
2:36 PM

Post #4331040

Hi Gessiegail ...

Don't forget that bromeliads bloom only one time! When it's done ... that's it! The good news is that they usually make numerous babies (pups) which form at the base of the plant; you can leave them intact - or remove them when they are at least 1/3 the size of the parent, pot them up - and repeat the entire growth and bloom cycle! ... one of the great joys of brom culture.

John
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
3:31 PM

Post #4331227

They have lots and lots of babies now. Do I just let the mother wither away after she blooms or do what you said and repot all the babies (in the same pot or different pots?)
Thanks
Johntique
Winter Park, FL

December 28, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #4335161

Suit yourself ! ... You can pot them separately - leave them enmasse in the pot - or whatever. If you remove them - the mother plant may continue to throw out a few more pups; she will start to decline at some point. If you leave them all in the same pot - cut out the mother plant when she starts her decline!

John
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2007
2:40 AM

Post #4336581

sounds like a good answer to me and less work FOR me!
Thanks
prita
Red Oak, TX

December 30, 2007
9:40 PM

Post #4341621

gessiegail, these are a first for me too, I have quite a few bromeliads, but no blooms so far. Several have put out pups, I think the blooms are a bonus, the foliage is quite interiesting.

Thumbnail by prita

prita
Red Oak, TX

December 30, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #4341661

look what I saw while looking for blooms this morning. I thought that they were supposed to be hibernating.

Thumbnail by prita

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2007
12:35 AM

Post #4342065

placenciarita, that first picture of the bromeliad is one that I saw yesterday at the nursery in Rockport and almost bought one as they were in full bloom outside.

Two of my grandchildren find frogs first thing year around when they hit my back door. They put them in my terrariums (not planted of course) until night time when their parents ask them to let them out with their 'families' for the night.

I also have so many salamanders for some reason.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America