Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Strawbale Gardening: Found a mushroom inside my bale!

Communities > Forums > Strawbale Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Strawbale GardeningReplies: 18, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #4281085

I had small mushrooms/toadstools on the tops of my bales from time to time. But yesterday, I broke up a bale to put it in a lasagna bed I am making.

Totally enclosed in the bale was this guy. He is about six inches high and four or five inches wide.

Karen

Thumbnail by glendalekid
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KentNC
Wake Forest, NC

December 10, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #4281782

Karen: don't believe I've ever found a mushroom growing down inside one of my bales, but they sure seem to like the environment, so I'm not surprised.

Kent
tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

December 11, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #4284060

I had lots of little 'shrooms growing on top of the bales. Now, what I'd like to know is this: How can I use bales for growing some good edible mushrooms, e.g., shitake, oyster, portobellos, buttons even? Karen, that one of yours looks like a King, it's so big!
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #4286088

Strawbaleman,

The thing that amazed me was I had no idea it was there until I broke the bale apart. It was completely inside the bale itself. And it is huge, bigger than my daughter's hand.

tomatofreak,

Here is some info on growing your own mushrooms. Notice that one of the "substrates" you can grow mushrooms in is straw. So why not straw bales? Mushroom plugs are designed to be inserted into drilled holes in hardwood logs, but mushroom spawn also comes in sawdust. Google mushroom spawn and you'll get lots of info on it and how to use it to grow your own mushrooms.

http://www.fieldforest.net/cultglance.html

I was going to see about getting some plugs next year, but where would I get fresh-cut hardwood logs? However, if straw is an alternative -- hmmm. Maybe a whole new possibility for straw bale gardening?

I have also seen instructions for starting/growing morel mushrooms in your own outdoor patches. I think I'll try the easier ones first, though.

Karen

tomatofreak
Phoenix, AZ

December 12, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #4286258

Very interesting, Karen; thanks for that link. It's so wet here I bet I could have had a great crop if only I'd had the spawn! I doubt seriously if I could grow a crop in the summer though.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2007
5:06 AM

Post #4286770

From what I read online, they mostly grow in the spring and fall and are dormant the rest of the time, but I would think your winters would be mild enough for them then, too. You would need a shady place. Some varieties, though, were listed as liking hot weather. They would probably produce in your area except in the hottest months.

I will have to read more online about growing them, but it appeared as though once you get them started in an area outdoors, they will continue to produce for several years, unlike the indoor kits.

I love a challenge.

Karen

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2007
6:44 AM

Post #4286907

We go out in the spring, normally around the first week of May (however we have been known to start looking in mid April because we can't wait) for Morels. Last year my SO strapped on a pistol in a holster because of the rumor of cougars in the area. He came upon a group of tourist types that were also out mushroom hunting.

He was quite upset that they followed him in his hunt. I told him that they expected him to protect them. Now, on the coast (of Washington state) people have been known to get shot at while getting too close to someone else's mushroom beds.

In the fall is the time to look for Chantrells. They are wonderful. However, they like the old growth Douglas Fir trees and there aren't too many of them around here. Once again, more of them on the coast.

Jeanette
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2007
2:02 PM

Post #4287362

Jeanette,

My son lives in Klamath Falls. I've been told that there are people in that area who make their entire year's income from gathering and selling the wild morels in the spring. And, yep, it wouldn't surprise me a bit that you might get shot for encroaching on someone's mushroom bed. I've heard the same about ginseng patches.

I bought him an indoor portobello kit for Christmas. I can hardly wait for his reaction. LOL. But I think I want to try them outdoors if I can figure out where to put them in the shade and away from the "dog excavation crew." I need to do more reading about growing them in wood chips or straw as a substrate, both of which are easier to come by than hardwood logs.

Karen

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #4288654

Karen, I was born in Klamath Falls. Haven't been there since. But, the pictures I have seen it is a lovely area. I have been thru there on the freeway. I never really thought about it as Morel country.

Jeanette
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2007
10:24 PM

Post #4288778

Jeanette,

You should go back sometime. While there have been changes -- Wal-Mart and fast food places -- the downtown has been well-maintained and looks as if it is right out of Norman Rockwell circa early 1900s. It's great. My son's house was built in 1913. It's on High Street, which no doubt you remember where that is.

However, that's not to say the town is not progressive. They are putting in thermal heat by tapping the underground volcanic steam, and they have both a two-year college and a four-year college. That's pretty good for a small town.

There are still hundreds of square miles of woods around the area, so no doubt this is where the morels are growing. My son told me about the morel hunting. A friend offered to take Tony when he went -- like a dummy, Tony turned it down. Sheesh!

Karen

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2007
6:18 AM

Post #4289937

Karen you sure make it sound inviting. No, I don't remember High street. Should have tho. I might have been born in the house your son owns.

I do remember Crater Lake though. And the Rogue River. Beautiful, but very wild. Wow!! I must have been a super baby to remember all of that.

Will have to go back some day. My grandparents both passed away there. Also an aunt. I think I still have a cousin or two there.

Jeanette

glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #4290754

Jeanette,

It's a really neat small town, but has nearly everything you would want -- unlike some small towns. High Street runs parallel to the main street one block west. Yes, the Rogue River and Crater Lake are both beautiful areas. When I lived in Portland, I always wanted to go down the Rogue River in a boat, shoot the rapids. Never got the chance. Have you ever heard the old country music song from the 1940s, "Rogue River Valley"? Somewhere on one of my CDs I have a recording of that.

Did you know there are pelicans on Klamath Lake?

Karen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2007
6:13 PM

Post #4291209

LOL, Karen I didn't know there was a Klamath Lake. Isn't it funny, years ago I used to go down to California about once a year, driving, and never took the time to explore the area where I was born. Too bad. Seems we're always in a hurry. Now I haven't been down there in years.

I had to go back and see how we got onto Klamath Falls. You will have to keep us posted on how the mushroom growing turns out.

I am trying hydroponics for the winter. BUT, I cannot find any tomato seeds for growing that way. I understand there are some and they are quite expensive I just can't find where to buy them. If anyone knows please point me in the right direction.

Fun hearing about my birthplace Karen.

Jeanette
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2007
10:04 PM

Post #4291852

Jeanette,

Wow, you are really ambitious! I just hope to grow them in the ground. LOL.

This is an interesting article about growing tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and lettuce hydroponically:

http://www.hydroponicgardensupply.com/faqs.htm

It also lists good varieties to grow.

These folks also have some interesting things to say on the subject:

http://www.gardenhive.com/q-a-forum/q-a-hydroponic-tomatoes-1.htm
http://www.reimerseeds.com/tropic-tomato.aspx
http://www.paramount-seeds.com/Paramountonline/Greenhouse_tomatoes.htm

Have a good weekend,

Karen

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #4292134

Karen, thank you so much. I was really getting frustrated trying to find seeds. Now, I have placed my order and hope to get them and get them started. Now I don't feel like I am spinning my wheels. Really appreciate your help.

Jeanette
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2007
4:53 AM

Post #4293267

Great! Glad I was able to help.

Good luck and let me know how it works out. Hydroponics sounds way too complicated for me, but I like to learn about what others are doing.

Karen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2007
6:03 AM

Post #4293402

I will. Yes, it does sound like you have to be a scientist. And that I am not.

Jeanette
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #4295442

Luckily, the scientist types have already figured it out. We just have to follow the instructions. LOL.

Karen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2007
12:29 AM

Post #4295453

I can hardly wait to get my seeds and start them. I have everything I need to get them in the nutrients to see how they do. BUT, I read somewhere that it will be a while after they are planted. Oh well, it's a good winter project.

Jeanette

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Strawbale Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Straw bale gardening: no weeding, no hoeing, no tilling KentNC 274 Oct 18, 2009 1:58 AM
Strawbale Gardening (part 7) Jnette 126 Mar 20, 2007 9:51 AM
Straw Bale Gardening LauraK 49 Apr 2, 2008 12:02 AM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 8) KentNC 114 Apr 2, 2007 5:32 PM
Straw Bale Gardening (Part 9) KentNC 124 Apr 21, 2007 12:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America