Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: December Daily Weather; Sleighbells Ring, are ya listening?

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 266, Views: 1,702
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2007
10:16 PM

Post #4281635

Hi all, it's stll too nice to talk about and gonna be this way here till March when it will get hotter! LOL
I have company coming and am sorry I let the last thread get so long. My Lap top is also not well.
Please come by and post your weather and mussings often.
Hugs,
Sidney
I'll catch up soon ;)

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 10, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #4281681

Hi Sidney! I hope Santa will get you a new laptop!

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2007
10:44 PM

Post #4281727

ME TOO Juri, LOL.
;)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #4281781

Ooops - forgot the link to Google Earth!

http://www.googleearth.com
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 10, 2007
11:18 PM

Post #4281814

O, Wow! That's some link! Kiska thanks!
A little rassel-dazzle at my home. However, creative. Lol.

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #4281936

Well! We had a balmy 80F for a high today. Tomorrow they say "low 80s". Like Dyson, I'd trade the beautiful warm weather fo a few days of R-A-I-N. I watered everything pretty well yesterday, but it soaks in and still feels dry. On the other hand, sure is nice to do chores in shorts!
Joey: That's the cutest little reindeer I've ever seen! (Not even a good guess on the trivia, so - as stab - B.)
Sidney: That's a lovely tree!
George: Really enjoying your photos of St Petersburg. Nice happy plants there in your last one. I notice I can only read the title of one book on your shelf! :)
OK - now I forgot who mentioned the YakTraks and if I go back I know I'll lose my post, so I'll just repeat my mantra of last winter: "May I never need YakTraks!"
I hope those of you in the path of the ice storm are all ok and toasty warm.
Deb
(Here's a warm oldie; an evening at the beach.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2007
12:11 AM

Post #4282006

Hi everyone!

Lots of nasty weather and great photos since I last checked in! Hope the nasty weather is over and the great photos keep coming :-)

The weekend was fairly calm and chilly, now we're having quite a hefty storm ... the winds are howling and the roof is creaking ...51 mph winds from the SE gusting to 76 mph. It's raining so the snow's all gone and the current temp. is 37F. It'll be interesting to see if there will be any Christmas lights left in the morning.

It'w past my bedtime so I'll sign off now

Have a good night!

Rann
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2007
12:18 AM

Post #4282022

Rann: I keep meaning to ask. Are these high winds normal for your winter there? Or is this year unusual?
Deb
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 11, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #4282152

Deb, that's the best ocean pic I've seen so far! Reminds me the rolling waves of my favorite Black Sea.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #4282171

Thost Yaktraks came in handy this past spring when we had the ice then. Saved many people from getting hurt. I don't use them much though since I have boots with really thick, chunky rubber soles. I can almost run on ice in them. lol. But if I have other boots on then I wear the Yaktraks.

This is from one of our news stations:

"An ice storm warning will go into effect for most of the Kansas City area this evening starting at 6PM. Heavy ice accumulations between 0.5" and 1" are possible with this next winter storm through Wednesday morning. This storm will begin this evening as some freezing rain/drizzle. Overnight, the freezing rain could pick up in intensity, creating very slick roads. Thunder with the freezing rain is possible, and that means, more glazing in those areas. Through Tuesday, periods of freezing rain are likely. By Wednesday, this storm should wrap up, but still give us a wintry mix through noon."

Currently: 27F Freezing Rain
Currently: -2C Freezing Rain
Wind: East at 9 MPH
Humidity: 93%
Dewpoint: 25F
Barometer: 30.18 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 18F
Wind: East at 14 KPH
Dewpoint: -3C
Barometer: 1022 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: -7 C

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #4282281

39 and it will be 50 by the time I go to work at 6 AM...
We are definitely on the other side of the front hitting Pepper...
We should hit 65 as a high tomorrow.

Then we drop back down near our normal 45 for the rest of the week.
AND we'll see some Sun!

We've had all the rain everyone else is lacking it seems.
We've officially had 4.76" of rain this month thru midnight last night.
3" of that have been on the last two Sunday's 1.5" each...

Actually Thanksgiving and Christmas Cactus are two different plants from the same Genus.
TC is Schlumbergera truncata
CC are any number of hybrids of Schlumbergera
Nit Picking I know but hey this is a Gardening Site... LOL!

Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #4282286

Thanks, George. It's the Atlantic, not far from where I live.
Pepper: Aha! It was you that metntioned the Yaktraks. (Sorry, memory malfunction.) That forecast sounds awful. Be careful if you have to go out!
Deb
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2007
2:04 AM

Post #4282315

Dark, Dry, 67(F)

I tried to talk a sil into taking a DHC off my hands. She did not bite.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 11, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #4282474

This is what it looks like on radar.

http://www.kmbc.com/wxmap/4540087/detail.html
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2007
3:49 AM

Post #4282739

Pepper, even our local Pa. stations are advising of the rough ice storm you are going to get. Stay safe!!

We have had rain and 38 degrees today. Everything is well soaked. Was going to go to the big city today but fog was too thick. I would take a picture of oour area but is would just be grey, darker grey and grey. LOL We are expecting to see sunshine by the weekend.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2007
4:57 AM

Post #4283097

Pretty tree, sidney
rann; those are some winds you are experiencing!
pepper: your bad weather is all over the news down here--stay safe.
ric, our weather sounds like a carbon copy of yours--we've had enough rain for a while and I am trying to send it over to Deb and Dyson. Also, I'll be sure to tell my cactus that it is a "Schlumbergera truncata". Maybe I'll start calling it "schlummy" for short! LOL
se_eds: I sent our fog over your way!
Deb: that is such a soothing picture of the moonlight on the water. Love it!
George , I love the photo with those Christmas lights. In your other photo, I think I spotted a pony tail plant (or aka "elephant's foot"), a "mother-in-law's tongue", a corn plant and I can't identify the one on the left--not familiar with it.
Here is my pony tail plant or elephant's foot would be more appropriate given the size of the "foot" on mine. I bought this "little" darling for 38 cents 33 years ago when it was just 3 inches tall. I need to put some more dirt in the pot and stake the plant so it will stand upright--it has been leaning over lately.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2007
4:59 AM

Post #4283103

and here's a corn plant I have had for several years. I had to cut off about 3 feet of it last year when we moved into this house. It has already grown a foot since we moved!

edited to say that I have this plant staked but even the stake is leaning over! sigh

This message was edited Dec 10, 2007 11:00 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2007
10:51 AM

Post #4283409

To everyone in the ice storm, please stay safe. It looks and sounds really bad in the Midwest.

Well Im with Dyson and Deb Id trade some of this summer like weather for a good long soaker. : (
Juri Those are some healthy plants you have!
Deb Nice looking ocean!
Rann Hang on! Hope the lights are still on your house!
Pepper The weather outside is frightful please stay in if you can.
Ric Thanks for more clarification on the TC & CC! Theyre both pretty! LOL!
Marsue Your plants look healthy and happy!

59.0 F / 15.0 C
Fog
Humidity: 92%
Dew Point: 57 F / 14 C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.30 in / 1026.0 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 100 ft / 30 m

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...

Today
Widespread dense fog this morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times this morning. Then partly cloudy and warm. High 77. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

The weather is supposed to be like this until Saturday. A little bit of color on the poinsettia!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2007
12:41 PM

Post #4283555

49(F), Heavy Fog.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 93%
Wind: 170 (S) at 6mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.33in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 51F
Yesterday's High Temp: 73F
Dew Point: 52
Visibility: 5mi
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 54
Wind Chill: 54
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 54F
6hr High Temp: 61F
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #4283733

Fog here, too, Dyson and Sharon, but I am sure we all will take the fog over the terrible ice storm the mid-west is experiencing.
Pepper-- stay safe and warm!

Hopefully DH and I can finish planting the rest of our bulbs today. I'm still sore from all that bending and stooping while planting 103 bulbs the other day!

Current conditions as of 7:08 am CST

Fog
Feels Like: 46
Barometer: 30.15 in and steady
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 0.25 mi
Dewpoint: 46
Wind: E 3 mph
Sunrise: 7:05 am
Sunset: 4:56 pm

Everyone try to have a good day no matter the weather!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #4283899

Good afternoon :-)

The storm has passed - the lights are still here ... and working :-) It's raining, and just a bit breezy compared to yesterday, only 15 mph (7 m/s) from the SE gusting to 29 mph (13 m/s). 41F (5C) and 70% humidity.

Sunrise today was at 11:09 am, sunset will be at 3:33 pm. I must say I like it better when it's the other way around ... however that way we wouldn't be able to enjoy candles, christmas lights and fireworks, so I'll take it ;-)

Deb - fall/winter storms are normal here - this year hasn't been unusual at all. Beautiful photo of the ocean :-)

The storm last night was the strongest one so far this winter. Most depressions in the Atlantic seem to make their way right over us, both in winter and summer ... they're just deeper in the winter months and thus heavier winds. Fortunately there are a few that miss us and then we get a few sunny days, usually we need a high pressure system over Greenland for that to happen which keeps the depressions to the south and then Britain gets them instead. That's what happened this summer when we had 6 weeks of drought and Britain almost got drowned in the meantime. We've made up that water deficit a looooooong time ago since we've gotten almost every depression since August ... lol Plants here don't really need protection from the frost, which is usually fairly mild - it's the wind that gets them. Sorry, I didn't mean to write a book on the subject ... lol

pepper - hope the storm passes without damage. What is freezing rain? Sounds like a paradox to me ... here we just get rain, sleet or snow/hail.

Here's a photo from last week - not quite this misty today but, gray all the same ;-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 11, 2007
2:46 PM

Post #4283902

Marsue, your plants loock gorgeous!
The one you didn't recognize is Pachypodium Lameri. It's also called the Madagaskar Palm.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Pachypodium lameri &Search=Search PlantFiles&offset=20
Little shower all day long.
43F
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 11, 2007
2:52 PM

Post #4283917

Good afternoon Rann! Nice photos, as always!
Are those famous hot springs of Iceland near to your place?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2007
2:55 PM

Post #4283928

Good morning! We're having a typical December so far, weather-wise. It's going to be in the low 80s today with a 20-30% chance of rain. There is a chilly front coming through tomorrow night, so it will "only" be in the 50s over the weekend. Please be careful, all of you who get real winters!!!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (47 min ago)
Temperature 73 F 23 C
Dew Point 69 F 21 C
Humidity 87%
Pressure 30.07 in 1018.4 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 24 15 kts
G 21
Wind Dir SSE 150
Ceiling 1200 ft 366 m
Visibility 9 mi 14.5 km
Heat Index 77 F 25 C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 73.0F / 22.8C

We put the Christmas tree in the living room. Sorry for how blurry this picture came out. The little bunny obviously had the camera sometime yesterday and the lens is all smeary. I'll try taking better pictures later. As you can see, this is the toy corner of the living room, and the bunnies are having a great time with the tree there. Everytime I look in there, there are different "friends" on the tree. LOL Right now we have a wheelbarrow, a doll house vanity mirror, a Beanie Baby lobster, a block, etc etc... I don't mind as long as they don't play with the lights and don't knock the tree over. :-)

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 11, 2007
5:11 PM

Post #4284277

Thanks, George. and thanks for the info on the Pachypodium. It certainly looks like an interesting plant, but are those "spikes" on the "foot" really sharp?

Rann: I love that photo and also enjoyed reading your "book"--don't apologize for informing us--I have learned two new things today: 1. about the pachypodium and 2.all about the weather depressions that affect your area, and oh, I almost forgot:
3. I learned how Marylyn's bunnies decorate their tree! LO.
Marylyn, tell the bunnies, I love their decorating. Such wonderful memories you
and they are making! :o)))

DH and I finished planting the bulbs (70 of them today--103 on Sunday afternoon) this morning in the fog. Fog is lifting somewhat now and hopefully we may see the sun for a little while before the rain comes in tonight.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 11, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #4284391

Marylyn, the bunnies did a great job with the tree.

Windy and cool-ish again today. The wind is "supposed" to end on Wednesday.

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on December 11, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
54 F / 12 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 21 F / -6 C
Wind: 16 mph / 26 km/h / 7.2 m/s from the NE
Wind Gust: 24 mph / 39 km/h / 10.8 m/s

Here is my Christmas tree. It looks better in real life when you can see the lights and the sparkle, but you get the idea.

Thumbnail by Kelli

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 11, 2007
6:40 PM

Post #4284541

Ye'all have marvelous Christmas trees! I didn't get one yet. I think, there's a good trend of using the artificial ones?
Marsue, the thorns on the stem of Pachypodium Lamerei are quite hard and, I would say sharp.
I was especially impressed by Kelli's pic in the PlantFiles. As I have learned, those can grow up to 20ft on Madagaskar!
I wonder was Kelli's pic made in CA?

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 11, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #4284737

28*/ Sunrise was a few minutes ago at 10:05; Sets at 3:34...but, there's no sun today; it's snowing so at least the gray is being displaced.
Snow showers. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches. Highs in the upper 20s to mid 30s. Light winds.
Thanks for new thread, Sidney/ nice seeing your tree and so many others.
Sorry to be so impersonal again today, seems the day gets shorter and shorter along w/daylight.
Have a great day, no matter the weather where you are. (even if it's warm:))
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 11, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #4284825

George, my pachypodium picture was taken in CA. It was at the Los Angeles Arboretum. They put in a new garden this year called the Madagascar Spiny Forest and there are a lot of pachypodiums. I don't seem to have picture of the whole garden, but here is a picture of a whole tree. (Picture was taken in July.)

This message was edited Dec 11, 2007 12:14 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 11, 2007
9:16 PM

Post #4285003

Kiska, I am in the same mood here in SPb with this mid-winter time. I've already got a ticket to my southern retreat, for X-mas and the New Year untill the Orthodox X-mas on 7 Jan. Lol.
Wow, that tree looks real exotic! I am going to plant Pachypodium on my Sochi ranch.
Thank's for info about L.A. Arboretum. We have the similar park in Sochi- it's called Dendrarium.
I made this shot of Dendrarium in April.

I edited to say I repictured it by a digital camera from my regular camera shot.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2007 5:20 PM

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #4285054

That's beautiful, George!

Kelli, your Christmas tree is gorgeous, too. i can imagine the sparkles. :-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 11, 2007
9:38 PM

Post #4285062

George, that looks much like southern CA.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 11, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #4285078

Thank's! When I'm there for holidays I make more pics both of Dendrarium, and the wild relict Kolhida forest.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 11, 2007
9:48 PM

Post #4285095

Sounds good!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2007
11:03 PM

Post #4285298

Hi everyone :-)

George - thanks :-) it's about a 30 min. drive to the closest hot springs from where I live ... there are several to choose from ;-) The geyser hot spring is about 2 hours from where I live. But then again all our hot water comes from hot springs so in that sense they are close to home ;-) Great photos!

Marsue - thanks :-)

Marylyn - your tree looks great :-) Your two little decorators did a great job! :-) Our tree won't be decorated until Dec. 23rd (or 22nd if we cheat) so no photos yet :-) The girls are in charge of hanging the shatterproof ornaments. I have a few that will shatter that I hang close to the top - well out of reach ;-) We'll probably go out and buy one next weekend.

Kelli - another beautiful tree :-) And very interesting photo from the arboretum :-)

The shoes are out in the windows and the girls are in bed ... they might have trouble falling asleep tonight since the first of our "Christmas trolls" or Yule lads is coming tonight. For those of you that weren't with us last Christmas I'll fill you in:

Our Yule lads are the mischievous and unruly son's of the troll Grla (that liked naughty kids for dinner). There are 13 of them and each one of them had their own favorite "crime" so to speak. They come one at a time, the first one 13 days before Christmas and the last one on Christmas Eve and leave one at a time as well, the first one on Christmas day and the last one on the 13th day of Christmas. When people here were still living in sod houses and spinning wild folk tales in the dark these "Yule lads" didn't bring much joy to people but since then they have been reformed by the jolly white bearded Santa Clause and are now his representatives x 13 here in Iceland :-) Kids put their shoe out in their window and if they're good they can expect a small gift in the morning, if not they get a potato.

Here's a photo of Grla. All the Yule lad photos this year are from a book by Markus Kislich with drawings by Anja Kislich.

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4285336

George - if we can get them through customs - please let me know what I need to send you for some hopps seeds!
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 11, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #4285340

Rann, please, send us the pics of those hot springs sometimes.
That's a real speaking drowing by Anja Kislich! I can feel the spirit of Iceland!
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 11, 2007
11:27 PM

Post #4285354

Dyson, that would be great! I guess a sachet and an envelope. Lol
What seeds would you like to get from me?
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 11, 2007
11:40 PM

Post #4285398

Oh Goody! The Yule Lads are here! Wheres Joey?!!

Rann Beautiful picture! The colors are so similar to Kiskas. I love learning about our different areas of the world. Oh, what a funny and descriptive picture of Grla!
Marylyn Your tree is darlin. Do I see Gumby?!!
Kelli I love your tree too! I really like the dangling stars. Its so cool to see everyones decorations!
Kiska Your weather sounds dreary. I hope you get a clear day soon. I know what you mean about the days getting shorter. We spend so much time at work, buy the time I get home its already dark.
George Wow that really does look like SoCal, it could be Florida too! Youll have to post pics of your ranch when you go. I cant wait to see pictures of the forest!

66.9 F / 19.4 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 62 F / 17 C
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
Clouds: Few 3600 ft / 1097 m

Tonight
Mostly clear with patchy fog in the evening...then areas of dense fog after midnight with visibility one quarter mile or less. Lows in the mid 50s. Southeast winds 5 mph.

Rann - Here is a link to the ice storms in the Midwest. Pick the story you want to read.

http://search.msn.com/news/results.aspx?q=midwest ice storm&FORM=EWRE

Well, I'm almost embarrased to post this picture of our skies today. A tad too warm for me for December. Feels like Summer again.

Thumbnail by MySharona

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4285434

Rann, yaaay, I missed most of the X-mas troll stories last year. I love your customs!

Too many photos to catch up on but I am reading the posts.
Dyson dark and 30*. No x-mas lights for us tonight with all the ice on them. It was a colorless day.

I took this around 4:30 pm.

Thumbnail by billyporter

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #4285454

Sally - that's a beautiful photo - pretty amazing to see. I imagine the roads are impossible to drive on with that kind of ice on them! Makes me think a pair of ice skates would be the way to go ... lol Is the air temperature below freezing when freezing rain forms?

Sharon - thanks for the link :-) That was some massive storm, can't believe an inch of ice is even possible. Hope Pepper is alright.

Here you go Juri :-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3906914
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3908825
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3908830
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3909245

Here's one more :-) These are all from the hot spring area about 2 hours away (Geysir), I'll try to dig up a photo that's closer to here ;-)

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 12:03 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #4285473

To continue the painting theme, I'm posting the Orange made by me in water-color. It was a little bit damaged while been stored in our summer residence.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2007
12:05 AM

Post #4285487

Very nice Juri!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2007
12:06 AM

Post #4285497

Rann: I am eager to hear more about the trolls--such an interesting custom! And that Gryla would scare me, too! LOL
Kelli and George: those are very interesting photos the two of you have taken of the arboretum and of the Dendrarium--I enjoyed them.
Kelli, I noticed sand dollar decorations on your tree. I have some, too. I bought a dozen or so sand dollars when I was in N.C. a few years back--saw some on a tree in a Christmas shop there. Those were expensive so I bought my own sand dollars and brought them home, sprayed them with spray-on glue and sprinkled stardust (very fine glitter) on them. I have used them on the tree every year since. Only this year I am not putting up a big tree, so the decorations are still packed away.
BP, that tree looks like ours a few years back when we had a bad ice storm down
here. The ice does so much damage to trees, and everything else, including
power lines. Hope you don't lose electricity and that you are able to stay warm and
safe.
Sharon, you should be ashamed--showing off your sunshine like that! LOL The sun did shine here for just a little while this afternoon but clouds are moving in and rain is expected once again.
Kiska, is that a photo you took or did you take a picture of a Christmas card? come on now, 'fess up. LOL
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #4285499

Rann, I missed that. Thank you very much for the LINKS!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2007
12:13 AM

Post #4285524

We crossposted, George and RAnn.
Rann: I loved the photo tour of your geysers and hot springs. Reminds me of our Yellowstone National Park here. You are correct about the boiling waters--Yellowstone has warning signs everywhere about the dangers connected with getting too close. They even have a memorial story posted about a little boy who fell into one of the pools many years ago and was instantly gone. Very sad.

George, I love your painting. I am especially fond of watercolors. I have a large watercolor painting done by a local artist hanging over my couch. Maybe I will try to take a photo of it and post it later.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #4285553

Marsue, I would love to see those!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2007
12:32 AM

Post #4285588

Sally OMG Thats a beautiful picture, but the circumstances are awful. Plesae stay safe.
Pepper Check in if you can. Well keep watch.
Juri I like the orange picture! I have zero artistic talent! LOL! I cant draw anything except stick people and w birds LOL!!

Rann - I'm quoting here "Freezing Rain is a type of precipitation that begins as snow at higher altitude, falling from a cloud towards earth, melts completely on its way down while passing through a layer of air above freezing temperature, and then encounters a layer below freezing at lower level to become supercooled. This water will then freeze upon impact of any object it then encounters. The ice can accumulate to a thickness of several centimetres, called "glaze ice".

And I thought sleet was bad. :P

I have also attached this link. It has 14 pictures of the storm attached.
http://www.news.com.au/gallery/0,23607,5028170-5007150-1,00.html
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #4285648

Marlyln - that Christmas tree picture and the toy corner is what makes Christmas so special for our young 'uns. Beautiful - you are richly blessed.

We had another grey foggy, drizzly day - but we are catching up on some of summers missing moisture! I did the
city' thing today, lights, music, people and Christmas. Loved it. Traffic wasn't that bad and crowds were manageable. As least our roads were wet and not icy.

Stay safe, our mid western friends. Sure hope you get the power turned on again out there. Must be miserable to have nowhere to go, and no power at home.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2007
12:50 AM

Post #4285663

Rann, I think so even tho we were at 34* most of the day it did not melt the ice that was there at sun-up. It must be really neat to see a geyser!

George, I love your orange! Wow, you're good! I can't draw a straight line without a ruler. Seriously!

Marsue, I remember the story of the little boy and feel very sad too.

Thank you Sharon, I'm more worried about Pepper and everyone around us. Thanks for the better explanation of the ice! Sleet is still bad!!I don't think we've ever gone over 1/2'', but that's bad enough!! Those pictures show the horrors of winter! Sure can turn your world upside down. (Loved the bear!)

The garage fire two nights ago. It was ruined, but their cars weren't parked inside. They use it to fix cars they race locally. They live a block over.

Thumbnail by billyporter

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #4285673

MySharona! As a former physicist I was really impressed by your precise definition of the phenomenon!

This message was edited Dec 11, 2007 9:05 PM
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #4285861

Golly folks, I gotta start checking in on this thread in the mornings! By the time I get here I have soooo far to go to catch up! So, just a couple of quick comments. I'll try to do better tomorrow. :)
Rann: Yay! Troll time! Gryla looks kinda scary!
Peppper, BP, and all you mid-westerners, stay safe and warm! Hope this nasty ice goes away soon for you.
Kiska: Vaporized any coffee yet? ;>

Our forecast (if you're freezing now, just don't look):
Tonight
Widespread dense fog developing with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Lows in the lower 50s. Light winds.
Wednesday
Widespread dense fog in the morning...then clearing. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Highs in the lower 80s...except highs in the lower 70s near Lake Moultrie. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Dyson: Whaddawe have ta do ta get some rain???

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #4285884

Hi guys!! I'm back! We didn't lose power but I just managed to get on a little while ago. I was on around 5ish or so to send out quick d-mails then had to go eat dinner.

We got about a 1/4 inch of ice here it seems. The main roads weren't too bad since they were expecting this so were able to keep them clean. The back roads like mine are a different story. Slicker than snot.

Rann, a ways back you asked what freezing rain was. It is when there is snow above the atmosphere, rain in the atmosphere and the ground is freezing. So when the rain hits the ground it instantly freezes cause it is so cold. That's why they call it freezing rain. :~)

Here is a picture of our road this morning. Looks like an ice rink.

Thumbnail by pepper23

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #4285906

Currently: 30F Freezing Drizzle
Currently: -1C Freezing Drizzle
Wind: Northeast at 15 MPH
Dewpoint: 28F
Barometer: 30.17 inches and
Wind Chill: 19F
Wind: Northeast at 24 KPH
Dewpoint: -2C
Barometer: 1021 millibars and

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2007
1:55 AM

Post #4285909

Currently: 30F Freezing Drizzle
Currently: -1C Freezing Drizzle
Wind: Northeast at 15 MPH
Barometer: 30.17 inches and
Wind: Northeast at 24 KPH
Barometer: 1021 millibars and

We got to 34* today so we had periods of heavy rain thruout the day.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007

Post #4285948

Pep, you are finally with us! Glad you are all right! Your roads fit just for skating.
I'm falling asleep. It's 5.04 a.m.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #4285997

Pepper, glad you are safe. Get out your ice skates--you certainly don't need to be driving on that road!

That's a great picture, Deb, of the moon between the limbs of the tree. I guess you and Dyson are gonna have to move to Arkansas if you want some rain. We have more coming tonight and tomorrow. sigh

George: here's that watercolor photo I promised you. And if you want information on Yellowstone National Park--just google it and you will find a lot of info. When we were there almost 4 years ago, I didn't have a digital camera. I will have to see if I can scan some of my photos from then and post them here. I have a new scanner but I haven't scanned any photos yet, so I will have to read the directions and see how it works.

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 12, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #4286083

5pm dark and snowing.
KG~~the orange is gorgeous; thanks for sharing.
pepper23~glad you're fine, and hope the roads have been sanded by now. Take care.
Deb-that's a very pretty and lacy looking photo. Sending thoughts of rain your way--hope they make a difference.
marsue~~glad you like the photo...after putting a frame on it; adding text, it became the card you see. I like the idea of decorated sand dollars; bet it's very pretty.
rann~~it's an exciting time for us, as well; the stories are just wonderful and I look forward to all the others.
MySharona~pepper23~~great description of freezing rain; real bummer to drive on, too. Break out the yak-tracks, pepper.
I find the ice cleats w/spikes work very well, and not as dangerous as yak-tracks on concrete, (if you don't take them off before entering a store). I found that yak-traks will send you flying if not super careful as you step off the ice/snow.
Kiska
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2007
9:11 AM

Post #4286959

52(F), dark, dry and the cold front approaches.

Relative Humidity: 90%
Pressure: 30.12in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 49F
Yesterday's High Temp: 64F
Dew Point: 46
Visibility: 6mi
Heat Index: 49
Wind Chill: 46
6hr Low Temp: 48F
6hr High Temp: 57F
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2007
10:07 AM

Post #4286978

Good morning!

This is my third try I keep losing my post ...

Let me start with the guy many of youve been waiting for ;-)

Our first Yule Lad arrived last night :-) His name is Stekkjastaur and all he can think about is sheeps milk. He just loves the stuff so hes mainly found hanging around sheep barns. Unfortunately sheep are not very keen on being milked and to make matters worse his legs are really stiff so he gets kicked more often than he gets a drink ;-)

He brought the girls colored felt pens ... Selma needed new ones for school and now Hildur Evas got her very own so she doesnt have to borrow from her big sister anymore ;-) She was very happy about that! lol She left the book open in her window with the drawing of Stekkjastaur so he could see it. This morning she wanted know what he thought of it ... Im sure he was very impressed. lol

Now the weather: Its mostly clear, still very dark of course and 37F. 11 mph breeze from the S gusting to 17 mph. 79% humidity. Theres a storm warning in effect for tonight got another big one headed our way. Then the third one this weeks supposed to hit on Friday ... its a good thing those Christmas lights are securely fastened ;-)

Sunrise is at 11:11 and sunset at 3:32.

Sharon and pepper thanks for the explanation on the freezing rain. It seems we never get those conditions here which, judging from the damage they cause, is a good thing ;-) Sharon thanks for the link pretty amazing photos!

Pepper that road looks impossible to drive on like Kiska said- hope its been sanded by now.

Debi and Marsue Grla is one scary troll... she gave me nightmares when I was a kid. She came and snatched naughty kids in her bag and brought them home to her cave for dinner! The story goes that one Christmas all the kids were so good that she starved to death. Still she keeps popping up here and there although like her sons shes become more civilized ;-)

Debi - great photo of the the branches and moon :-)

Marsue thats horrible about the little boy. Youre so right - those hot springs are pretty to look at but you need to do it from a safe distance ;-) Very pretty watercolor :-)

Sally - so sorry about your neighbors' garage. Yes, geysers are very cool to look at if you don't get too close ;-)

Heres Stekkjastaur. Drawing by Anja Kislich. I hope I won't get into trouble sharing these with you guys ...

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 10:11 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2007
10:58 AM

Post #4287011

Yuri A former physicist? My father was a geophysicist.
Sally Do they know what caused the fire? It looks really bad. Glad no one was there when it happened.
Deb Awesome pic! Im still doing rain dances, but theyre working for everyone else.
Pepper So glad you didnt loose power. The roads do look very slick. Thats scary. Do snow tires work on the ice or do you have to use chains?
Rann - The pictures are amazing! I cant wait for Jeff to get up so I can read about Stekkjastaur. It sounds like the girls have been very good to get the felt pens! And Hildur Eva has her own now!
Kiska Cleats w/spikes theres a phrase you dont hear in the South very often! I have a hard enough time staying upright sometimes without any help from something that will send me spiraling! LOL!
For example:
I went to a party last week at a friends house. She had the invisible screen installed on all the doors and windows, but didnt tell anyone. I walked up the front steps, the door was open, I walked through the door and straight into the invisible screen. Didnt see it at all. I have 3 bruises! One on my right arm at the bicep, about 2 wide and 6 long, a bruise at my knee, and one on my wrist where my watch dug in. I cant wear short sleeves right now because of the large beautifully colored bruise on my arm. I am the graceless wonder at times! LOL! At least it wasnt raining or snowing or anything else.

59.2 F / 15.1 C
Fog
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 57 F / 14 C
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 0.5 miles / 0.8 kilometers

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...

Today
Partly cloudy in the morning then clearing. Widespread dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 78. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

I am wearing a short sleeved shirt anyaway today. Sunset last night.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 7:31 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #4287069

Nothing works on ice driving wise except keeping your foot off the brakes and going slow. 4x4 helps a bit by giving you more traction on hills and stuff but that's about it.

Currently: 26F Cloudy
Currently: -3C Cloudy
Wind: North at 7 MPH
Humidity: 84%
Dewpoint: 22F
Barometer: 30.32 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 18F
Wind: North at 11 KPH
Dewpoint: -5C
Barometer: 1026 millibars and rising

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2007
12:18 PM

Post #4287105

Sharon - ugh sounds like a nasty run-in with the invisible screen! Seems it's living up to it's name though! lol

Here's a link to a weather map of those Low pressure systems that are coming our way - the one on Friday looks really bad. http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/vedur/maps.html?type=rain Notice how a new one always pops up over there by Newfoundland ... as you can see there's no shortage of moisture here ;-)

This is a photo from last Friday. Sunrise was supposed to be at 11 am so out I went to photograph it. Well, there turned out to be no sun at 11 am since there's a mountain in it's way so I waited 30 min. for it to rise over the mountain. It looked like it would eventually get there but only a few rays managed to peek over the edge before it got lost in clouds - which was a bit of a bummer after a 40 min. wait. My lesson learned was that sunrise here is a very slow process and you don't really need to hurry in order to catch it! lol Live and learn I guess ... It did get out of the clouds at 1 pm for a bit though so it wasn't a total loss. (no, I didn't wait for it until 1 pm ... ;-)) This photo is looking west while I was waiting ... taken at 11:34 am.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 12:23 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 12, 2007
1:44 PM

Post #4287301

Good morning!!! The "lurker" is back . In my medicine induced fog I missed Thanksgiving, so I'll take this time to say I hope it was wonderful for all of you.

Things are looking up for Christmas, so I hope I'll be posting (or lurking) more as time goes on.

They say a bad penny always turns up, but this bad penny has a little more shine because of friends who care!
(((hugs)))
Pati

PS I'm not going to push my luck, so I'll copy this message onto a couple of more threads.

PS to the weather people: My daughter came in last night and and announced that we had a storm named Olga...I think that gave me the push I needed to get the computer turned on. LOL Also to realize that life on DG was going on without me and I MISSED my friends!!! Thanks you for missing me...and Happy Birthday Darius!

PSS: It's HOT and HUMID and Dyson bright!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #4287481

Pati! :-) So good to hear from you :-)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2007
3:09 PM

Post #4287544

{this post is dedicated to pati} it is bright, sunny, and extremely dry, hoping for rain later today or tonight. Be well.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #4287636

I went for a long walk in the woods yesterday, the car is broke and I needed to get to the store (about 3mi. away) so I cut through the forest and added 10 mi. to the trip.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 12, 2007
6:09 PM

Post #4288082

27*~dark till 10:06am; sunset: 3:33 Loss of 1m50seconds today.
Mostly cloudy with areas of fog reducing visibilities to a quarter mile or less through this morning. Partly sunny in the afternoon.
Highs in the 20s. Light winds.
Slippery roads but we have studded tires; huge safety factor. I agree with pepper; (slowing down offers the best safety). Hope it's beginning to get better out there, pepper.
Dyson~that would have been a very long walk; glad the surgery made that possible.
Hi patti~at least it's bright~unless you don't mind hot and humid:))
rann~~the picture is beautiful; loved today's troll story and look forward to tomorrow. Nice that there was a brief moment of real light this time of year.
MySharona~get well soon~~my gosh what an awful surprise that would've been. The link to the ice pics was very good.
older photo~~looks same today, or will, once it's light out.

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2007
6:33 PM

Post #4288162

I tried to go to work today but turned around before hitting the big hills. It was just too slick out there. It took 15 mins at least to get halfway to work so I pulled over, called in and went back home. A few miles before my road I found a bus in a big ditch. The ditch had pretty much swallowed it and the only reason I saw it was because it had it' big lights on and it's flashers. I pulled off after I passed it to see if they needed help. They didn't so I went on after that. I couldn't pull off before the bus cause I was on a big hill going down and it was slicker than snot there. I almost hit the ditch too but felt it coming on and did damage control. Everyone was ok as far as I know on the bus.

Currently: 27F Cloudy
Currently: -2C Cloudy
Wind: at 0 MPH
Humidity: 85%
Dewpoint: 23F
Barometer: 30.29 inches and falling

This is a link to local ice storm pictures. There is a part one and a part 2.
http://www.kmbc.com/weather/14825582/detail.html

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
9:26 PM

Post #4288636

Marsue, you have a very nice water-color on your wall!

Rann, your stories are very interesting. Thank you for the beautifull winter fairy tale! It's very interesting to get aquainted with the Epos of Iceland. Before I knew only Kalevala.

MySharona, why didn't you follow the steps of your father? That science is very fascinating.

Pep, you reminded me, when I was driving across the mountain pass in the south. I made it successfully on the way up, but on the way down I had to park my car and wait untill the road cars arrived and spread sand on the road. I simply couldn't drive- as only I started, my car was always gliding towards the ditch.

Pati, nice seeing you on the thread!

Kiska, that's a beautifull pic of a winter forest! Just like in Russia... sometimes. I hope they still have snow in Ural and Siberia.lol.

It was very nice and sunny in SPb today.
26.6F
Wind NW

Dyson, hope you managed to fix your car. As for me, I don't like driving in the city. Trafic jams always. Hiking is much faster. Lol

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 5:32 PM

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2007
9:32 PM

Post #4288648

Hiking is much faster!! LOL.

Thumbnail by pepper23

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
9:55 PM

Post #4288713

That's me in that car. The pic was made in Aug.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #4288745

My favorite sport is base-jumping.LoL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTcRbx4lMgw
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #4288818

Hey everyone - glad you liked the story :-)

Thanks Juri :-) What's Kalevala? Beautiful photo :-) St. Petersburg looks like a really beautiful city :-) Nice to see you ;-) That is one amazing video - not my thing though ... I think that's a very good way to get yourself killed or seriously injured ...

The storm is here, it's very windy and raining. This one's supposed to be as bad or possibly a bit stronger than Monday's storm. So far it isn't though. The wind's about 31 mph from the SE (again) gusting to 58 mph. The Westmann Islands off the south coast often get them worst of these storms - currently the wind there is 67 mph gusting to 87 mph. Fortunately we rarely see windspeeds like that here ;-)

Here's Friday's "almost" sunrise ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 12, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #4288934

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 12, 2007
63 F / 17 C
Clear
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 19 F / -7 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the NNW

This is baby toes. (That's got to be one of the funniest plant names.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #4288937

LOL Rann, that's my sourse of adrenalin! (base-jumping).
Kalevala- is a beautifull Epos of Finnish people. Finland is our neighbor here in the north. I love Finland, and I have many
good friends there. This year I plan to go to Lapland, at last!

The latest weather update from St.Petersburg.
29.3F
Pleasant snow blizzard.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #4288938

Quoting:I went for a long walk in the woods yesterday, the car is broke and I needed to get to the store (about 3mi. away) so I cut through the forest and added 10 mi. to the trip

Dyson, you are such a hoot! That made me forget what I was going to say to the rest of you guys so I'll just say, "great photos, everyone" and Rann I am looking forward to the next "episode" of the Yule lads!

Detailed Local Forecast
Tonight: Rain likely. Low 38F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.
Tomorrow: A few clouds in the morning, but mainly sunny for the afternoon. High 53F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
(Did y'all notice? It says "MAINLY SUNNY" Hooray!)
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4288975

Kelli, it looks like camomile "haut cutur". Is it chrysanthemum?

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
11:45 PM

Post #4288984

Marsue, so do I! The Yule lads!!!

Here's St. Petersburg blizzard tonight.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #4288987

George, I went back and looked at that "base-jumping" video. Do you actually do that or is it your favorite sport to watch? BTW, I love your "falling snow" photos.
--and you are much too young to be a physicist--physicists are supposed to be old with scraggly beards! LOL

Sharon, sorry about your bruises. :o(( What's an invisible screen?
Oh, yes, I need a tried and true recipe for really good pumpkin pie. Did you post one at Thanksgiving, by any chance?

Kelli--Baby toes--how cute!
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
11:49 PM

Post #4288992

Quiet St.Petersburg down town night. (It's 2.48 a.m. here)

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 12, 2007
11:56 PM

Post #4289003

Marsue, I'm a sky-diver at present time, but base-jumping is driving me crazy- that's what I wanna do soon.Lol.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 13, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #4289047

Nope, Marsue, I don't have a beard. But I've got a degree in Physics.
Don't use it much though. I like Biology. Lol.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 13, 2007
12:28 AM

Post #4289054

One flight over the California coast on board of my friends' plane last year.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 8:32 PM

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4289124

Rann Beautiful pictures! I have saved them as background.
Pati Welcome back! Weve missed you! I hope you feel better soon.
Dyson OMG - You walked 13 miles? Was this one way or round trip? Thats a long walk its as long as my little island!
Kiska Another beautiful winter picture!
Pepper I hope things are better in your area today. The pictures are great on the link. Im glad the people on the bus were okay. I cant imagine
Juri I love science and math, but I wasnt the best student! LOL! Great snow pic! I have to ask base jumping? You want to jump off buildings?! Not my thing either, but I guess its not that much different than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane. I can barely handle a fall through a doorway! LOL!! The snowy streets look so serene. Thats a gorgeous bridge!
Kelli but a very pretty flower! I love it!
Marsue You have sunshine! Its about time! LOL! Looking for my pumpkin pie recipe.

64.9 F / 18 C
Clear
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 60 F / 16 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the evening...then areas of dense fog after midnight. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times after midnight. Low 57. Southeast winds 5 mph shifting to the southwest after midnight.

One the way to work this morning.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4289128

Link for phantom screens - they really are great because your view isn't distorted by the screen. But look out if you don't know they are there!

http://www.phantomscreens.us/

canopy road

Thumbnail by MySharona

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 13, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #4289131

Marsue, I guess, Dyson enjoyed walking in the forest. That made a mileage difference.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #4289139

Greetings all!
Currently 65F and clear. High today (and tomorrow) 80!

Rann-Stekkjastaur may be bad with goats, but he brings nifty gifts! That's a very, very pretty "almost" sunrise.
Sharon: Yeah - I'd say no ice for you!! LOL!Be careful, will ya? My sympathies. I am similarly afflicted with klutziness.
Kiska: Beautiful snowy trees. Looks like something from a fairy tale.
Dyson: You always make me laugh. Thanks.
Pepper: Sounds like a scary halfway to work drive! Glad you got home safely.
George: St. Petersburg is a beautiful city! I love the one with the light on the steeple. OK, so you're a former physicist (and skydiver), but you are waaay to young to be retired. So what does a former physicist do after being a physicist? Just curious.
Kelli: Baby toes - what a cute name. It's really a pretty flower, too!

Here's a squirrel who has figured out how to keep his weight off the "squirrel resistant" bird feeder.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 13, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4289149

MySharona, jumping from a perfecly good airplane does not give enough adrenaline for an experienced sky-diver as might give the jumping from a close to earth objects. it' s the risk involved, that makes the jump to be a real thrill.Lol.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #4289166

I keep my feet on the ground. Or at the very least on a horse. lol. No jumping for me. But I do enjoy getting in a go kart and trying to run down everyone in my path. LOL. I also enjoy going down local gravel roads after a rain cause there are muddy spots everywhere and I want as much mud as possible on my truck. Everyone around here think I crazy. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 13, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #4289170

Deb, I conceived, it's gardening, that makes the life perfect.
The rest is shadow... Lol.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 13, 2007
3:55 AM

Post #4289653

Geroge, baby toes is a mesembryanthemum.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
5:33 AM

Post #4289893

A messybranthemum? Does that mean if you don't dead-head, it leaves its petals everywhere?

(ducking...)
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 13, 2007
10:15 AM

Post #4290023

Kelli, those are peculiar plants.
I found a link. http://www.conophytum.de/
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
10:45 AM

Post #4290039

Deb I just love that squirrel pic! They are creative!
Pepper We dont have hills, but that sounds like fun to me! LOL! Great ice picture!
Kelli Is the mesembryanthemum a succulent?

60.3 F / 15.7 C
Fog
Humidity: 94%
Dew Point: 58 F / 15 C
Visibility: 0.1 miles / 0.2 kilometers

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning... again

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 77. South winds 5 mph.

I'm so glad this hot weather will end soon, I'm very tired of it this year! I just tried to take a picture of the heavy fog, but the pictures aren't turning out. These large puffy clouds moved through the area yesterday.

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #4290114

Currently: 28F
Currently: -2C
Wind: Southwest at 7 MPH
Dewpoint: 25F
Barometer: 30.11 inches and
Wind Chill: 21F
Wind: Southwest at 11 KPH
Barometer: 1019 millibars and
Wind Chill: -6 C

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #4290152

There is fog from Alabama through Georgia to Orlando. It's all over us and here our cul-de-sac.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2007
1:27 PM

Post #4290276

47(F), overcast, no rain yet.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #4290327

Pepper, now I know there are TWO crazy people on this thread: you and George! LOL
George, I enjoyed the photos of the flowers on that link you sent but I couldn't read a word of it. I'm assuming it was written in Dutch or German? :o)
Sharon, good photos--loved the "canopy road" pic with the Spanish moss hanging from the trees. Are those "live oak" trees? I'm eagerly awaiting the pumpkin pie recipe. . . .and the sunshine hasn't materialized yet--due this afternoon--hoping, hoping, hoping the weather man is right!
Quoting:A messybranthemum? Does that mean if you don't dead-head, it leaves its petals everywhere?
(ducking...)

oh, Marylyn, it would appear that we have more than one comedian on this thread! LOL
Deb, I don't believe there is a "squirrel-proof" bird feeder anywhere in the world. Those little critters are just way too smart! LOL
BBL with the forecast

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 7:51 AM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #4290346

Cloudy
Feels Like: 39
Barometer: 30.19 in and steady
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 41
Wind: WNW 6 mph
Sunrise: 7:07 am
Sunset: 4:57 pm
Detailed Local Forecast
Today: Partly cloudy skies early will give way to mostly sunny skies this afternoon. High 53F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low 33F. Winds light and variable.

Here is a photo of the Long Beach,CA skyline as viewed from the Queen Mary a couple of years ago. Similar looking sky at my house this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #4290348

Good morning! It's quite chilly here again this morning. It's going to rain off and on until Saturday. I sure wish we could send it to you and DebinSC, Dyson!

My parents are here for the next couple of weeks. Yayy! They live in southeastern Ohio. Tuesday, before they arrived, I was making their bed in the sunroom. We have a sleeper sofa out there, but its mattress isn't very comfortable, so we have an air mattress to go on top of it. I pulled the air mattress out, but couldn't find the power supply for its built-in air pump. I looked and looked and looked and looked... Charles was out helping a friend with a computer problem, so I called him and asked if he knew where it was. He suggested all of the places I was already looking, of course. LOL I put the bunnies to bed and kept looking... At 10:30-ish, I was looking on the kitchen counter, one more time, although I knew it wasn't there, and I glanced to the side at the outlet that our portable phone/answering machine plugs into - and noticed something glowing. I looked closer and realized that there was a dark burnt spot on the plastic, and the "something glowing" was hot wires behind it. I unplugged the phone, and one of the metal prongs was all black and shriveled and melted. Yikes! I looked out the window, and my parents had just pulled up, so I went out and told Dad to come in and see if I needed to call the fire department before he unpacked. He sent me out back to turn off the breaker (they aren't marked, so I just turned them all off... LOL) and he pulled the cover off of the outlet and checked things out. If I hadn't been looking for that power supply I probably wouldn't have noticed and we could have had an electrical fire... All in all, it was a much warmer welcome than I had anticipated! LOL

Oh, and Charles came home 20 minutes later and found the air mattress' power supply in about 2 minutes.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CST (45 min ago)
Temperature 47 F 8 C
Dew Point 44 F 7 C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.20 in 1022.6 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir N 360
Ceiling 900 ft 274 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 45.0F / 7.2C
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
2:05 PM

Post #4290354

So glad you and your family are safe, Marylyn. "God works in mysterious ways His wonders to perform!"
I know the bunnies and your parents (and you and Charles) are going to have some good times making memories together the next two weeks. :o)
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2007
5:14 PM

Post #4291038

Hey everyone :-)

Last night's storm was bigger than Mondays, the wind reached it's maxium between 2 and 3 am with 64 mph winds gusting to 89 mph so I guess I was wrong when I said we wouldn't get those kind of winds ... Fortunately it doesn't happen very often at least. The wind was too much for our big pine tree in the back yard, it blew down sometime last night without any of us waking up. I didn't notice it until it got light out. Thankfully it fell straight onto the lawn so there wasn't any other damage ... if it had fallen in any other direction it would have damaged some other trees or the house so we're counting our blessings.

It was calmer today. Around noon it was only 8 mph winds, gusting to 20 mph. Had some hailshowers this morning with patchy cloudiness. Today's high was 39F. Now at 5 pm the wind's picking up again, 26 mph gusting to 42 mph. There's another storm coming tonight and tomorrow morning. According to the weather maps it might brush by to the west of us so it doesn't look like it'll be as bad as this last one (here). Which is a good thing because it's a big one.

Thanks everyone for your comments :-)

Juri - great photos:-)

Debi - thanks - very cute photo of the squirrel :-) They won't let anything get between them and some free nuts! lol

Marylyn - wow that was a close call! I'm so glad that you're all safe. Sounds a lot like me whenever I try to find anything ... lol

Here's number 2:

Giljagaur sneaks around cow barns since he prefers cow's milk. His favorite is the cream that floats on top. In this drawing he made the mistake of trying to milk the bull which didn't go well ;-)

He brought the girls hairbands.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2007
5:21 PM

Post #4291056

Here's our pine tree. Selma's wearing the red hairband that she got from Giljagaur ;-)

Sunrise today was at 11:12 am and sunset at 3:31 pm.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 13, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #4291135

13*~~beautiful starry sky this morning at 8:30. The Big Dipper is directly overhead and the snow has that great crunch of being frozen...Makes walking so much easier when it gets colder.
Sunrise at 10:06; Sunset at 3:33 Loss of 1m38seconds.
Mostly cloudy becoming partly sunny in the afternoon. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s. Light winds.
rann~~what a wild night; too bad the tree came down, but luckily, all's ok. Bet the girls were amazed when they saw it..it's nice "seeing" the girls as they grow- very cute.
Marylyn_TX~~sooo glad you discovered the danger before it caught fire. That was so lucky. Enjoy the visit w/parents and like I like to say, " make the memories matter"..
marsue~~thanks for a view from the West Coast of what it looks like at your house today.
MySharona~ I like the look of the fog at your home; but, I don't have to deal w/it; gives it a very wintery effect.
Veiw from my kitchen window yesterday as the sun finally made an appearance.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #4291537

Rann: that looks like a close call with the pine tree! So glad it didn't hit your house.
Selma is such a pretty little girl. :o)
That looks like some surprised bull! LOL
Kiska: pretty pic from your window. Looks like ornaments hanging in the foreground?

The sun is shining, the sun is shining! Hooray. DH and I took advantage of the sunshine and drove the 30miles to the mulch plant in Searcy and got a pick-up load and a trailer load of mulch, FREE (well, except for the gasoline up there and back).
We are going to spread it in our lasagna beds in the back yard and also on top of our new flower beds in the front yard.
However, right now I have to "scoot". It is my afternoon to help out in DGS's classroom.
Sharon, thanks for dmailing that recipe!
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 13, 2007
8:14 PM

Post #4291551

Rann, you have such a harsh climate in Iceland! It's a pity that the pine fell, but its' good there were no damages.
Selma is nice!
What are you going to do with the pine? I think, the root is OK! Here in St.Peterburg, I have seen the trailing
pine trees near the Park Inn hotel. I'll post a pic. Maybe that could be the option of the tree design arrangement in your case?

Marsue, the mesembryanthemum (Conophytum) site is in Deutsch. Alas.

Marylyn, funny note about the mesembryanthemum's name. The plant is definitely a succulent.

Debi, we've got a lot of some mysterious "rat-squirrels" (as locals call them) in the southern forest, but I've never seen those, lest they leave lots of droppings on the attic floor, when I'm not there. People say those have furry tails. I couldn't find any info of those animals yet.
Kiska, I like the scenic solitude of the North in your pic.
That is the winter brook in my South. (the pic is from the former years).

P.S.
The snow stopped in SPb.
31.82F

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 6:40 PM

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 13, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #4291573

The Southern mountain brook in winter.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 13, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #4291918

The baby toes is a succulent. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56907/

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #4292090

Yep...
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2007
11:56 PM

Post #4292103

Oops.. That didn't work.. One more try!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 14, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #4292211

Marylyn! That's some cute and joyfull baby! Reminds me miself in younger years. LoL.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2007
12:44 AM

Post #4292235

52(F), Dark, had a rain shower earlier but not enough for accumulation.

Relative Humidity: 86%
Pressure: 30.03in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 46F
Yesterday's High Temp: 73F
Dew Point: 46
Visibility: 10mi
Heat Index: 50
Wind Chill: 48
6hr Precip: 0in
6hr Low Temp: 49F
6hr High Temp: 52F

Thumbnail by Dyson

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #4292319

Sharon: We've had some big puffy clouds blow through, too. I wish they'd stay and make rain!
Marsue: You are so right about there being no such thing as a squirrel proof feeder. They figure them all out eventually.
Marylyn: You've got sun? Yahoo! Maybe your rain's coming this way. ;-> I bet that was a scary few minutes for you witht he electrical thing. Glad nothing came of it!

Rann: Whey! Glad the tree missed the house! We are surrounded by very tall pines and they do have shallow roots. I'm always a little nervous when there are high winds. Selma looks very pretty in Giljagaur's hairband.
Kiska: I just love the view from your kitchen windows. It'd make me want to wash dishes or something. LOL!
George: We don't call them rat squirrels, but people who have bird feeders probably see them that way - as pests! They are so clever...and persistent, but I do think they're pretty cute. Here's one on a less challenging feeding station.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #4292527

4:30pm. Dyson Dark:)) but the sliver of moon over Pioneer Peak was a bonus for today.
It's 10*: Lows 5 below to 10 above. Light winds.
KG~~thanks; the photos of the brook are very pretty. I see it's also stopped snowing in S.Petersburg. I went to Google Earth to see what the latitude is and to "look" at the layout of the city. Lots to take in and check out before I close it.
Thanks, too, marsue and Deb. I leave the ornaments up year-round, there's more winter than summer and they add a nice splash of color.
Deb~the squirrel is so cute; they really have personalitiy and a special "cuteness" about them.
Marylyn_TX~~now, those are really cute "baby toes"; very sweet baby.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2007
1:48 AM

Post #4292531

One more; 4:15pm this evening.

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2007

Post #4292585

Marsue Yes, they are Live Oaks. They get very large, but not super tall. I love them. Nice picture!
Marylyn OMG You are so lucky to have found the problem. God does work in mysterious ways.
Rann Your poor tree : (, but so glad no one was hurt. Close call. Selma Run sure is a cutie though! I guess a bull would be a tad upset if someone tried to milk it! LOL!!
Kiska It doesnt matter the season, the view from your kitchen window is awesome!
Marylyn That is a priceless picture! What a great shot!
Deb Adorable picture of the squirrel! Hes too cute! LOL!

62.1 F / 16.7 C
Clear
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers

Tonight
Mostly clear. Patchy fog late in the evening then areas of dense fog after midnight with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Lows in the upper 50s. South winds 5 mph.

This was the fog on my way to work this morning. Talk about pea soup!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 8:59 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #4292597

Rann it's a good thing that's the only damage you had.
That's some serious wind and from your pictures I know how flat it is there.
You all were lucky!!!

Marylyn I'm glad that you guys are OK!!
Burnt wires are Serious Business.
Tell your Parents that they're missing all the fun here this weekend.
(That's the Weather Service yelling not me...lol!)

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT.

SNOW WILL BEGIN EARLY SATURDAY MORNING AS LOW PRESSURE PUSHES NORTHWARD.
THE PRECIPITATION WILL MIX WITH FREEZING RAIN AND SLEET AT TIMES
SATURDAY AFTERNOON. PRECIPITATION MAY CHANGE TO RAIN EAST OF
I-71 SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...BEFORE CHANGING BACK TO ALL SNOW.
TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY SUNDAY
MORNING. SOME ICE ACCUMULATION IS ALSO POSSIBLE.

REMEMBER...A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE
FOR HAZARDOUS WINTER WEATHER IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH AREA.

HEAVY SNOW AND...OR ICE IS FORECAST TO ACCUMULATE IN THE WATCH AREA
CAUSING HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. THOSE WITH TRAVEL PLANS IN
THE WATCH AREA ARE ADVISED TO CHOOSE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE...OR
SHOULD USE EXTREME CAUTION IF TRAVEL IS UNAVOIDABLE.

Guess it's our turn in the Box..
Ric

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2007
2:03 AM

Post #4292603

Currently: 31F Partly Cloudy
Currently: 0C Partly Cloudy
Wind: Southwest at 8 MPH
Humidity: 89%
Barometer: 30.24 inches and steady
Wind Chill: 24F
Wind: Southwest at 12 KPH
Barometer: 1024 millibars and steady
Wind Chill: -4 C

Got an update on the bus wreck I came upon yesterday. The driver fractured her left wrist I think it was and has lots of big bruises and some scratches. My mom works with her husband and was able to get a pic. This is what I saw when I came upon it. Before all the buses arrived. I also was coming down that hill you see in the pic.

Ric, we are under that watch now. :~)

Thumbnail by pepper23

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2007

Post #4292605

MySharona~that's definately pea soup...
I look forward to you being here to look out the kitchen window this summer...
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #4292624

Ric~~looks like you'll be having quite a time of wild weather; hope all's well, now and later.
pepper~so glad the wreck didn't cause more damage; just seeing it like that must have been awful. Hopefully the driver has a full recovery.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4292655

We received only 1/2 in. of ice today and about 1/4 in. of snow. Temps held steady at 31 degrees. The storm was over about 4:30 PM. Roads are clear and fine. Our driveway to the road had sustained repeated blasts of ice from the snow plows. Tomorrow I will throw 10-10-10 fertilizer on it to melt it away and fertilize the grass alongside. Porch and steps were ice glazed all day. Have to go out tomorrow to fill the bird feeders.

We may or may not get the northeaster coming up the coat by Sunday. At this point we really do not need it. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
2:44 AM

Post #4292729

Precious baby toes, Marylyn! That's such a cute picture. :o))
Kiska, I love the moon over the mountain shots!
Deb: yep, that's a greedy little varmint, for sure! LOL
Wow, pepper, sure glad you weren't involved in that accident.
Ric, stay warm and safe!
Dyson, still hoping for rain for you and Deb.
se_eds, sure hope you don't get any more of that bad weather.
Sharon, I sent our fog over your way! LOL
The sun was actually shining this afternoon! This morning DH and I went and picked up a pick-up load plus a trailer full of mulch.
Here's a pic of our toothless Zach helping Pa Buddy spread the mulch on our flower beds this afternoon. See that sun?!!

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2007
9:28 AM

Post #4293480

Good morning!

It's a blustery one this morning! Storm number 3 this week is raging; the wind is howling and the rain's beating down ... I decided to keep the girls home since it's supposed to be at its maximum at noon so we don't know how bad it'll get yet ... It's bad enough as it is, 49 mph SE winds gusting to 73 mph. 42F, 93% humidity.

Marylyn those are some adorable baby toes :-)

Juri - we haven't decided what we'll do with the tree, but it's not going back up. It would just blow over again, and we might not be so lucky a 2nd time. We might be able to use some part of it for a Christmas tree this year - when things quiet down I'm going to check it out better to see if the top or some of the lower branches could do... ;-)

Sharon - that is some fog! "A tad upset?" lol I'd think so too :-) lol

Debi - thanks :-) That squirrel is so cute! I was actually surprised that the root system was so shallow and weak... I always thought pine trees had deep taproots ... this one sure didn't. I thought it might be because we're on top of lava and the topsoil isn't all that deep in many places.

marsue - thanks, we're feeling very lucky it fell the way it did :-) That's a very handsome little helper you got there - and the mulch looks good! Free mulch sure is worth the drive :-)

Ric - you're so right and we are counting our blessings :-)

Thanks Kiska - Beautiful photos of the moon :-) And your view is so amazing! :-)

pepper - that's an awful sight, must have been horrible to witness it while you were sliding down that hill... So glad you managed to keep the car on the road :-)

Here's number 3 :-)

Stfur (Shortie) is a bit sensitive about his height and does not like to be teased about it... which his brothers can't really resist (they're not that reformed ;-) lol) He is found lurking in the kitchen on the lookout for frying pans with leftovers to scrape off.

He brought Selma Rn a colored pencil and some beads. Hildur Eva got a note and I suspect a potato to go with it, but she threw it in the trash and won't admit to it ;-) lol She pretty much asked for it. She was supposed to tidy up her room yesterday and when she wouldn't I told her she'd better be careful... "Just wait and see I'll get a toy anyway" was her answer. lol

Hope you all have a great day - and not as blustery as ours will be! lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2007
10:04 AM

Post #4293487

Kiska - Happy Birthday!

50(F), Dark, will check the rain gauge after it gets light.

Relative Humidity: 64%
Wind: 300 (WNW) at 13mph
Yesterday's Low Temp: 46F
Yesterday's High Temp: 57F
Dew Point: 37
Heat Index: 49
Wind Chill: 44
6hr Low Temp: 49F
6hr High Temp: 55F

Thumbnail by Dyson

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 14, 2007
10:32 AM

Post #4293496

Happy Birthday Kiska! Hope your day will be filled with joy :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2007
10:54 AM

Post #4293506

Kiska Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day and many more!
Ric Be careful. That sounds like a nasty storm on its way.
Pepper The people on the bus are so lucky they werent seriously harmed. Stay safe as well in the storm.
Se_eds Youve had a bad time with weather too! Stay safe on all that ice.
Marsue Awww hes a cutie! I see the sun! Umm, you can keep the fog, we really dont want anymore! LOL!
Rann Beautiful picture! Those winds sound awful. I bet the girls are enjoying their wind day from school! Stfur was my parents nickname for me! I was the shortest of everyone until I turned 13 (except Mom 52). Shed call me Shortie and Id look down at her! It was funny. Does Selma Rn make jewelry with her beads? Aww Im sure Hildur Eva will do better today! I got a lump of coal once from my granny when I sassed her once. I never did it again!
Dyson Is it dark?

60.1 F / 15.6 C
Fog
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 59 F / 15 C
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)

Visibility: 0.1 miles / 0.2 kilometers

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning... and again!

Today
Partly cloudy. Widespread dense fog early in the morning. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 77. West winds 5 mph shifting to the northeast in the afternoon.

I'm ready for Santa now!! I got beaned by a logging truck again, see the ding on the hood?

Thumbnail by MySharona

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
11:07 AM

Post #4293526

Happy Birthday Kiska!!

Thanks Sharon.
The weather pattern is all over the board here.
As it will be warming then cooling after dark Saturday we're now looking at Snow/Ice/Rain/Ice/Snow for the Saturday Forecast.
1-3"... we'll see how this plays out.
We have nowhere to go and big windows to watch it from... lol1

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2007
12:06 PM

Post #4293598

Happy Birthday Kiska!!

We have a snow storm hitting tonight. Accumulation depends on the storm. 1-6" possible in places.

The NWS in pleasant hill has issued a snow advisory, which is in effect from 6 pm this evening to 6 pm cst saturday. The winter storm watch is no longer in effect.

Currently: 26F Fair
Currently: -3C Fair
Wind: Northeast at 6 MPH
Humidity: 88%
Barometer: 30.31 inches and rising
Wind: Northeast at 9 KPH
Humidity: 88%
Barometer: 1026 millibars and rising

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2007
12:18 PM

Post #4293613

Rain gauge report - still locked in at the current level of 1.6 inches, no change.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #4293831

Happy Birthday, Kiska!!!

Ric, yes, my parents are going to be extra glad to be here when they see your post!! Be careful out there!

Pepper, I'm so glad the bus driver was ok except for her wrist, the poor thing. :-/ You be careful, too.

Sharon, I'm glad you're ok, too! Yikes... I LOVE the antlers and the nose!!!

Rann, poor Hildur Eva! (and good for Stfur!) I'm sure she'll obey much better today. I'm sorry about the tree.

Deb, that's a great squirrel shot! I sure hope you get some of this rain...

It's a little warmer today, but it's going to rain pretty much all day today and tomorrow. I just sent the little bunny off to school, and now I need to make lasagna. It's teacher appreciation day at her school and parents are bringing in lunch for them. I have to have it at the school before 10:30... better get cookin'! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (7 min ago)
Temperature 58 F 14 C
Dew Point 55 F 13 C
Humidity 90%
Pressure 30.11 in 1019.8 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir E 80
Ceiling 500 ft 152 m
Visibility 6 mi 9.7 km
Current Conditions Mist
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 55.9F / 13.3C

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #4293927

Happy Birthday, Kiska, and may the sun be shining in your heart even if skies are gray outside!
Aw, Rann, poor Hildur Eva. I rather imagine she will clean her room and be twice as nice today--a good lesson for her! LOL That frying pan is almost as big as "Shortie"! The men in my family could relate to Shortie. My dad was 5'8" and my brother is just 5'7". I am a very tall 5'3 1/2". LOL
Sharon, I certainly hope it wasn't one of those big logs that came off and hit your car! How scary! Is the logging company going to pay for the damage? I do love the antlers and Rudolph nose!
Ric, you certainly have a mixed bag of weather heading your way.
Pepper, again I say, Stay warm and safe!
Dyson, I tried to send you some rain. Guess it didn't work. :o(( We are supposed to have more rain tonight. Maybe it will head your way once it blows out of here.

It's a good thing we got that mulch spread out on our flower beds yesterday. We awoke to a hard frost this morning. You can see it covering the dark mulch and also on the roof of our neighbors across the street. Their roof is gray--not white.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
2:42 PM

Post #4293930

Whoops--I forgot to send the pic. (I do that a lot) LOL
Here it is:

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 14, 2007
7:41 PM

Post #4294783

I think the past 5 days or so have been colder than typical for this time of year. DH isn't sure. A friend of mine says that it is definitely colder.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on December 14, 2007
55 F / 13 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 35 F / 2 C

DH says - Mars is suppose to be bright tonight, in the E-NE direction 30 degrees above the horizon.

This is called tiger jaws. It's another succulent. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53686/

I've got some hiking pictures from yesterday that maybe I'll post later today. It's so dry out that they aren't classically pretty, but someone might find them interesting.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 14, 2007
7:55 PM

Post #4294817

Partly cloudy. Lows 5 below to 5 above. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Freezing fog this morning 9*F.
There was no sunrise but was at 10:09.
Sets at 3:32.
First of all~~~thanks so much for the wonderful birthday greetings and wishes. The day is off to a wonderful start and it's going to be a good one. Having met so many wonderful people here on DG, brings a special pleasure; from all over the world, it's amazing to me.
Thanks again.
Jackie

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 14, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #4294847

Happy birthday, Kiska!!!

I'm having a hard time visualizing freezing fog. It sounds like something that you can't get through, sort of like a sponge.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 14, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #4295096

Happy birthday, Jackie!

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2007
11:34 PM

Post #4295286

Ric Well, at least youll have a front row seat to the snow/Ice/Rain/Ice/Snow!
Pepper What is the difference between a winter storm watch and a snow storm watch? Sounds really cold either way!
Marylyn Thanks! The reindeer costume really grabs attention! How did the lasagna turn out?
Marsue It was a piece of a log by the time it got to me. The truck was already gone. So Ill have it repaired again. Wooo Hooo Frost! LOL!!
Kelli Personally I think the tiger jaws blooms are gorgeous! The plant it self looks a little treacherous!
Kiska I hope youve had a wonderful day! Thats a neat picture! I like the reflection in the table! Freezing fog I cant wrap my brain around that term!
Juri Thats a beautiful picture! Are those azaleas the blooms look too big though

64.9 F / 18 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 69%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 13000 ft / 3962 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with areas of fog developing. A 20% chance of showers after midnight. Lows 59. Light northeast winds.

Look at my cars shadow! LOL!!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2007
11:41 PM

Post #4295303

Pink cloud

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2007
11:55 PM

Post #4295342

Just to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY KISKA!! before it's too late. :)
I hope you've had a great day today!
Deb
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2007
11:57 PM

Post #4295345

CUrrently 69F and cloudy! Yay! Clouds. :)
High tomorrow 75. Low tonight 51.
Actual chance of rain tomorrow. Oh boy! Dyson, I hope your rain gauge gets some action!
Here's the sky at sunset tonight. Looking hopeful!
Deb

This message was edited Dec 14, 2007 7:05 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2007
12:08 AM

Post #4295381

George: I just saw your photo. Those look like the azaleas in my yard. (See photo below from last spring.)
Kelli: those bright yellow flowers are great on the tiger jaws - like the sun.
Sharon: LOL! I love the antlers shadow! So funny.
Rann: Poor Hildur Eva and her potato! Was she a verrry good girl today? :)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 15, 2007
12:12 AM

Post #4295397

MySharona, yes, those are Rhododendrons.

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 15, 2007
12:22 AM

Post #4295425

MySharona, your car looks very amusing, like a reindeer!

Deb, very nice Rhododendrons! Mine are also from the last spring.

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #4295466

When I awoke this morning Iheard the ice melting from the roof and eves. The temperature was all the way up o 36 degrees. The driveway is clear and I don't have to get out the snowblower! We had sunshine, golden and beautiful for about 1/2 hour. Temps up to 40 degrees and just a great day to get outside things done.

Happy birthday Kiska, your photo of the red/gold candle is so beautiful!

Tomorrow should be a good day to finish up shopping, we are scheduled for rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow from Saturday afternoon til Sunday evening. That is if the storm coming up the North Atlantic coast does not turn into a northeaster. If it does, it will circle around and really dump on us. But we are at peace in our home and have weathered many a storm. LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 15, 2007
12:43 AM

Post #4295473

Hiking pictures from yesterday - this is fairly close to home. This area is the Simi Hills. It basically has the same plants as the Santa Monica Mountains but less chaparral and more grassland. I used to live up in a canyon in the Simi Hills, so this is another home to me. The dried up stuff is grass and mustard. In hot weather it has a peculiar smell - kind of like wet cardboard. Since I lived in an apartment, my car was outside all of the time and it picked up that smell. (It doesn't smell like that anymore. Now it smells like our garage.) For your amusement - this is where I used to live. http://www.malibucanyonliving.com/1/Calabasas-California-Apartments/ I see that the rent has doubled since I was there.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 15, 2007
1:07 AM

Post #4295533

It might be hard to see in this picture, but just to left of center there are some caves. There is a Chumash Indian story that says that a powerful shaman lived in one of these caves (or another nearby). However, he killed a chief's son so the shaman had to be killed. That's all I know of the story. I don't know how the chief's son died, by my assumption is that it was perceived that he was killed by the shaman's magic, not by a direct act. If a shaman was founding using is powers for evil, he had to be killed. There is still some "bad medicine" going on by the caves. It is a party spot and there is broken glass everywhere.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 15, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #4295535

This is DH climbing up into the largest cave. He said that he went back in until it got too dark to see.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 15, 2007
1:09 AM

Post #4295539

This is a bee hive in a shallow cave.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 15, 2007
1:11 AM

Post #4295546

View from near the caves - I would have gone further up but it was steep and I didn't want to slip and fall on the glass when coming back down. (The glass problem is only near the caves. The rest of the place is clean.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 15, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #4295550

It is starting to get green along this arroyo.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 15, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #4295568

I was surprised to see some flowers. Clockwise from the upper left these are datura, sticky monkeyflower, purple nightshade, and California fuschia.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #4295603

Lovely shots Kelli!
We'll have to vist that area next time we're out that way.

Marylyn,
As your Parents know... don't like the weather in the Ohio Valley...wait 15 minutes.
Don't like the Forecast... wait 12 hours...

So no Winter Weather Alert now..

...winter weather advisory in effect from 6 am to 6 pm est
saturday...

the national weather service in wilmington has issued a winter
weather advisory...which is in effect from 6 am to 6 pm est
saturday. the winter storm watch is no longer in effect.

a mixture of snow...sleet and freezing rain will develop across
the area saturday morning. temperatures will warm to just above
freezing saturday afternoon into saturday evening. this will allow
for a gradual changeover to rain. total snow accumulations of 1
to 2 inches are expected by saturday afternoon. ice accumulations
will be less than a tenth of an inch.

Which means we will probably get 12" of Snow and an inch or two of Ice... LOL!

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #4295770

Currently: 29F Cloudy
Currently: -1C Cloudy
Wind: Northeast at 9 MPH
Humidity: 78%
Barometer: 30.24 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 21F
Wind: Northeast at 14 KPH
Humidity: 78%
Barometer: 1024 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -6 C
Snow on the way. Average amount supposed to be4-6 inches. I only hope it ends before 2pm tomorrow cause we have to set out candles at work for a luminary walk.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 15, 2007
4:52 AM

Post #4296251

It's nearly 8pm; the day has been so nice. Thanks to you all for the birthday greetings/wishes. It's a wonderful group here; thanks.
8*F:
Dense fog advisory in effect until 9 PM AST this evening...
Partly cloudy. Occasional dense fog this evening...then patchy fog. Lows 5 below to 5 above. Light winds.
Kelli~what a very interesting hike; the cave looks huge. Nice seeing the wildflowers, too.
ric~that is one awesome forecast..take care.
pepper; you, too.
se_eds~thanks; hope to hear tomorrow that the NEaster missed your area. I love what you said in the last sentence; sounds wonderful.
KG~~thanks; the picture of you in the midst of all those flowers, is so nice. I liked the link to the base-jumping, too..
Deb~did the clouds come through with some rain? sure hope so. Last spring's azaleas are just beautiful..
Thanks, too.
MySharona~~your car really has personality. Too bad about the dent, though. The candle holder on the table is the first one I've made; just begun a new hobby, "warm glass"; fusing, slumping and draping. This one was draped.
Thanks again everyone for making this day so special.
Kiska

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 4:03 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2007
10:41 AM

Post #4296507

I had a post all ready to go and the power flickered. Oh well...

Great pics everyone!
Kiska - What is the process for the glass fusing? Sounds very interesting and looks great too!

67.5 F / 19.7 C
Overcast
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2500 ft / 762 m
Overcast 4400 ft / 1341 m

Today
Becoming mostly cloudy with a chance of showers in the morning. Showers likely with isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 74. East winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the south in the afternoon.

Chance of rain 70%. I had to separate this - I'm so thrilled!

I'm breaking down and wearing shorts to work today (can't do that during the week). I only have to work one more Saturday! I begin M-F on Jan 7

Buddies Callie and Prissy

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 15, 2007
12:08 PM

Post #4296603

Mornin' All! I typed a big "thingy" yesterday & wasn't quite finished (but almost), got up to go do something (for just a sec) & somebody logged me off & I lost all that I had posted! Yes, I moved so I lost my seat! LOL

Our weather will be the opposite from Ric's today. We are supposed to get the ice 1st, then the snow. Monroe (my county) & Greenbrier are under an ice storm warning. Giles county (in Va & nextdoor) is under a freezing rain warning/advisory. Then the snow should start w/ about 6" predicted. We only lack a few things from the store to be ready - batteries & dog food. If all else fails...we'll go next door. DB has a larger wood pile! LOL

Kelli, Great Shots! (as always) A very interesting trip! Love It! Maybe I can come w/ Ric!
Kiska, I'm glad that your day was special...I had no doubt! Your hobby is turning out great! You're able to make more things than I thought! WOW! Very Nice!
Deb, I hope that you'll get some rain out of this nor-easter!
Dyson, What will you get? Rain, I hope!
Pepper, Se_eds, E_B, Ric...Take Care!
Rann, Thanks for doing the Troll Stories! I'm copying them down so I can make a little book for JW! I promise not to publish it! LOL

You all won't believe this, but...The answer to the last trivia was...A!!!
Although it gets into the 90s almost daily in the summertime there, Miami has never hit 100 degrees.

Well, I must get ready for work...
Have a Great Day! & Take Care!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2007
12:15 PM

Post #4296611

Good morning!

The storm has finally passed and it's fairly calm this morning and there are a few patches of blue sky between the clouds. So much brighter than yesterday :-) Yesterday's storm brought everything to a halt ... people were asked to keep kids home from school and not go out if they could avoid it. I had to go to the store in the afternoon and there were still pretty hefty gusts then though the wind had slowed a bit. It picked up a bit again last night. The Ikea store here flooded because of some drain collapsing from all the rain or something (I didn't quite get it) ... there was a lot a water flowing anyways and there was quite a bit of damage. There were a few trees that went down and things were flying about - mostly from roofs and construction areas. One hot tub flew out on to the street somewhere in Reykjavk ... must have been empty! lol Yesterday's storm wasn't as strong as the one on Wednesday night ... but it caused more disruption because it lasted most of the day while the other two were mostly over by daybreak. And it's not over yet - there's the 4th one coming tomorrow, I hope it'll be closer to "normal" ... I think we've had enough of storms for a bit. (there's yet another one scheduled for wednesday ...)

Deb - here's a revised answer to your question about all this wind being normal ... it's been at least a few years since we've gotten storms this strong and 3 in the same week is "just a tad" over the top. Last year there was a similar bombardment of low pressures one after the other but none of them were this strong.

Currently (12 pm) it's 35F, 8 mph breeze from the south and partly cloudy.

Hildur Eva was an angel all day yesterday so I think she learned her lesson very well ;-) lol

Number 4 is vrusleikir who also hangs around the kitchen. He waits for a chance to snatch a ladel when no-one's looking, doesn't really matter what's cooking.

He brought the girls chockolates and small paper mannequins with cut out clothes, the kind my mom used to play with. They think they're so "cool" lol. :-)

Great photos everyone - I'm sorry I don't have time to comment on all of them, there are lots of things that need to be done today.

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2007
12:35 PM

Post #4296623

Joey - you're most welcome to the stories :-)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2007
1:14 PM

Post #4296691

It's sprinkling outside!! WooooHoooooo!!

67.6 F / 19.8 C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 65 F / 18 C
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4.3 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 1.5 miles / 2.4 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1500 ft / 457 m
Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m

Our shell resident Juan the Cuban Anole! He's found the perfect home! LOL!
Now
through 800 am EST...showers will move over areas from Orange Park to Bryceville...Glen St Mary...Jacksonville...Mayport and Fernandina Beach. Showers will continue in the near and offshore waters from Cumberland Island south to offshore Jacksonville Beach. The showers are moving north at 15 miles an hour. Rainfall amounts will be under a tenth of an inch.

Edited to add - We've got an actual rain shower going! Anyone else getting rain? Ohh, the roads are going to be slick.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 8:27 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2007
2:11 PM

Post #4296835

Just went to the store and stocked up. It feels like snow in the air though we have seen no moisture yet.

currently 35(F)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #4296986

Well what part of this don't I believe...

a winter weather advisory remains in effect until 6 pm est this
afternoon.

a mixture of snow...sleet and freezing rain will develop through
this morning. the precipitation will mix with and then change to
rain through this afternoon. snow and sleet accumulations of up to
an inch will be possible. some light ice accumulation will also be
possible.

At 8AM nothing but the radar showed a strong line of sleet moving in by about 9AM.
The snow line showed to be maybe 10 miles north of us...YUCK!
Then at 9 almost exactly the snow line moved 30 miles south... and the first flakes hit.
Then we started getting dumped on... for here anyway.
After an hour we have maybe 1 1/2" and it's still coming down hard... and the snow line remains well south of us.
It's noisy wet snow... as you walk it makes a grinding sound... so it should make some great snowmen.

Here's a down and dirt snapshot... from about 9:30
Ric

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 10:07 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
3:38 PM

Post #4297082

Yes, Sharon, we are getting LOTS of rain here where I live. It started raining about 10 p.m. last night and continues until now. At some point during the night, my DH awoke to what he says was the sound of hail on the roof. He said it didn't last long, though. I slept through it all. It's a good thing the temp has been above freezing or we would have a real mess down here. However, we are forecast to get colder temps tonight below freezing. It will be interesting to see what materializes. I wish I could send this rain your way, Dyson and Deb.
Ric, your photo definitely proves you have snow! LOL
Rann, so glad Hildur Eva was a good little girl and received her chocolate from the latest troll whose name I cannot pronounce, much less spell! LOL--- BTW, I used to play with "paper dolls" and loved doing so. I'm glad to know they are still around --I think the children have to use their imaginations on a greater level when playing with the paper dolls rather than having a doll that talks, etc. It takes away all the fun of thinking it up for oneself!
I'm so glad you had a good birthday, Kiska. DGers certainly don't lack in the "Happy Birthday" wishes, do they?
Pepper, I hope you are able to take some photos of the luminary walk. That would be something to see!

Don't you all just hate it when you lose a post--especially if it is a lengthy one? I better send this one off before I lose it! Have a good day. Everybody stay safe and warm!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2007
4:00 PM

Post #4297151

Ric I remember saying "There's a really neat place on the left." as I passed your neat yard last spring. Hope you and Robin have a great Christmas.
I have been reading and looking at pictures on dail-up here for 2 hours.
I too have one house guest and another on the way.
Great photos everyone - I'm sorry I don't have time to comment on all of them, there are lots of things that need to be done today, to quote rann.
I too am saving them. I might print them on fabric for a soft book, or a storybook quilt. So glad the tree fell right.. They go down easy in the south in ice storms too.
I must apologize for the beginning tree piicture, obviously not the one I thought I was posting.
Seeds I like the 10-10-10 hint to remove ice instead of salt!
Kiska I wish you belated BD wishes. I like your glass slumping. I have a few stacked green glass pieces that were fired togeather. Your quest for all things in colored glass has just begun.
Marylyn, so glad you have your folks with you and they are missing the Ohio ice storm. I bet they dote on the Bunnies.
Sharon, so you and Jeff are going to Alaska? Is Jackie coming to visit here too?
Kelli, so glad you and DH hike. You send us many pictures we couldn't see from the road.
Here;
Observed at: Historic Springfield, Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m

75.0 F / 23 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 71 F / 21 C
Wind Gust: 4.9 mph / 7 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 74 F / 23 C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Big Hugs to all of you
Sidney

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
5:28 PM

Post #4297448

34 now and it obviously has switched back to rain.
It was a bit hairy walking around on the roof putting up plastic but...
Now we can work on the room expansion w/o regard to the weather.

I'd say we got 3" before the rain started.
I'd doubt there will be any left by dark...Booooo...
Now up in my old hometown Kettering they have 4"+ and it's still coming down.
They're looking at maybe 4 more before it turns to ice...

So all things considered it wasn't too bad.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
8:04 PM

Post #4297893

Awww, Ric, that pansy looks so cold--good thing pansies like cold weather! LOL
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 15, 2007
8:23 PM

Post #4297935

Kelli! Awesome pics! Whenever I'm in PlantFiles yours are the best...
I wish to return the match sometimes. Lol.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
8:49 PM

Post #4298015

"Juri Running from a Yeti!"

Ric
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 15, 2007
9:05 PM

Post #4298061

Ric, for the C, sake! I'm not running from a ...Yeti! I'm jogging for a better shape.LoL.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 15, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #4298128

Ric, cool pic, anyways!!! I'm not the only one lost in snows...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #4298288

I like Ric's title for your photo, Juri! It's funny! LOL
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 15, 2007
11:14 PM

Post #4298410

Sidney, Juri, and everyone else - thank you for the compliments. I try to get pictures of the Los Angeles that you don't see on t.v. shows.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 15, 2007
65 F / 18 C
Clear
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 20 F / -7 C

a great expanse of grass

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2007
11:20 PM

Post #4298435

Evening everyone. I'll just put in a quick note and then go back and catch up on today.

IT"S RAINING! Yaaaaahoooo! Started around 230PM and is still going. Light and slow, but "they" say it'll amount to about 2" before it's over during the night. Luxury! I haven't looked at today's posts yet so I don't know if you got any precip yet Dyson, but I do hope so!

59F and WET!!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #4298471

Dyson: I see you have no snow yet. I do hope that changes and something wet falls!
Joey: No! Not Miami! I lived there for 8 years. and can't believe it! :O That stat. must refer to Miami Beach. Amazing!
Sharon: I was watering my ferns and tropicals that are in the garage for winter, and found two little Carolina anoles living in a big fern. :) Glad you're getting showers!

Rann - Hope that 4th storm will be the last for a while! How DO you pronounce today's troll?? ;>
Ric: Well, your snapshot certainly looks "seasonal"! LOL! Brrrr!
Marsue: I had paper dolls, too. Anyone remember "Betsy McCall"?

Kiska: I'm also interested in how you do that glass?
Kelli: I always enjoy your photo essays and hiking tours.
Deb

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2007
11:51 PM

Post #4298527

Dyson Any rain yet?
Ric Hows youre weather holding up? Love the snow pic! Aww the pansy looks so cold, I can almost see it shiver!
Rann I forgot to mention that I also played with paper dolls as a child. Im sure the girls are enjoying them as much as we did!
Sidney We will be heading to Alaska in July. Im very excited about his trip since Ive always wanted to go. It will be wonderful to meet Jackie in person. Maybe she will show me her glass menagerie!
Kelli What kind of grass is that? Very interesting.
Deb YAY RAIN!!!!! LOL! What is the name of that bird? We have them here and I cant get a positive ID on them. No, I havent checked the bird forum, trying to do it on my own! LOL! Obviously thats not working! I had to look up Betsy McCall and yes I do remember her. Here is a link where you can print out the paper dolls. Isnt technology amazing?

http://www.geocities.com/mybetsymccall/paperdolls.html

70.2 F / 21.2 C
Overcast
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 68 F / 20 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the SSE
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.82 in / 1009.7 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4600 ft / 1402 m
Scattered Clouds 6000 ft / 1828 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Freeze watch in effect from late Sunday night through Monday morning...

Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms likely early in the evening...then showers and thunderstorms in the late evening and overnight. Some thunderstorms may produce strong winds. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Low 60. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

We've got the NOAA radio ready to go tonight - apparently someone is sending some pretty nasty weather our way. Who did that?! LOL!

Rain and seagulls this morning!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2007

Post #4298605

Sharon: It's a tufted titmouse. I can't believe Betsy McCall has gone digital! LOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 16, 2007

Post #4298824

Mostly cloudy with flurries. Lows zero to 5 above. North wind up to 10 mph.
7*F; sunset was 3:32; sunrise was 10:10am
Thanks again for the many birthday wishes; it is a wonderful group DG has created.
Deb has rain~~~yaayyy...and a cute bird there, too.
Dyson has dark by now...
ric~thank goodness you remained upright on that slippery roof project. Did any snowmen get built? Pretty little pansy...
KG~~nice place to run; looks beautiful.
Kelli~it's great to see the area and all the beauty there is; thanks for the pics.
Sidney~~you're so right, the glass is beautiful and it's great to shop for. And, yes, I've been to Florida, but only to DWorld and that was 4 years ago; in December. (B'day gift)...I was amazed to see flowers in December; and, would you believe, a snake~~~we look forward to seeing MySharona and DH here this summer..
The new hobby of "warm" glass is that of using a kiln to either fuse, slump or drape the glass. I typed w/out thinking and the photo is of a "draped" glass project. The kiln just arrived from Tacoma, by boat, so it's a learning process now of the temps to use for each type of glass project being made. I'll find a pic of it ready to go.
Two projects to be "draped"...glass placed over a mold then heated for many hours to create the drape.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 16, 2007

Post #4298828

Sharon, the grass is just some kind of wild annual grass, probably wild oats.

Kiska, very interesting project you have there.

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 5:31 PM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2007

Post #4298879

Currently: 19F Cloudy
Currently: -7C Cloudy
Wind: Northwest at 8 MPH
Dewpoint: 15F
Barometer: 30.02 inches and steady
Wind Chill: 9F
Wind: Northwest at 12 KPH
Dewpoint: -9C
Barometer: 1016 millibars and steady
Wind Chill: -12 C

We have several inches of snow on the ground now. It is gorgeous to look at!! I had to work tonight because we had a luminary walk but it wasn't a big sucess. Everything that could go wrong just about did. lol. Our trolley got stuck then broke down. They couldn't get it running til several hours later and they just parked it. So everyone who was at the Chapel had to walk to the Visitor's Center and that is about a mile long walk and it was in snow too. We had candles out but couldn't keep them lit cause of blowing snow. Since no one was coming down that path with the trolley out of commmsion we didn't bother relighting them.

Tomorrow we have the walk again but it will be alot better since everything will be cleared. The roads are a mess tonight even though plows are out. They just can't keep up.

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4299002

Currently 31 degrees and the predicted weather has not yet arrived in my area. We seem to be in a 'bare' spot between the northern counties of Pa/Illinois/Ohio and the ice storms in Md, W. Va, Va. It's O.K. -we have had a lot of moisture this month. It can skip us. We won't complain.

pepper23, sounds like a bust. - Hope the walk tomorrow will be one of those cold, shining experiences that only winter can bring. Your part of the country sure is having its problems this winter. Hope you area gets it's electricity back very soon.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
2:22 AM

Post #4299038

Kelli I love the 'off the beaten path' shots you put up.
They are always my favorite places to go also.

Sharon here's one for you...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #4299058

The rain has finally let up for a bit.
It's currently 36 so no snow tonight it seems.
Tomorrow though is another story...

Here's a shot early in today's snow.
You can kind of get an idea of how many pots we have.
60 or more less hardy pots are here in the house and at work.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #4299060

Ric - ROFLMBO!!!!! Hahahahahhaahaha!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #4299112

Love the off beat paths too. :~)

LOL Ric!!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #4299144

Here's a seriuosly nice palm for those of you in cooler climes.
It's a Windmill Palm.

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
2:53 AM

Post #4299148

Whoops!

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #4299162

R-A-I-N !!!!! will check the gauge in the morning, when it is not so dark.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
5:31 AM

Post #4299593

A weather update:

72.1 F / 22.3 C
Overcast
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 69 F / 21 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the SSW
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12.6 km/h
Pressure: 29.76 in / 1007.7 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4800 ft / 1463 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Tornado Watch number 739 in effect until 6 am...

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- The entire First Coast is under a tornado watch until 6 a.m.

The tornado watch has moved east to Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia. The watch means potential for severe thunderstorms and possible tornadoes in our area.

There have been tornadoes in Walton County and in Georgia near Blakely.

The biggest threat is potential wind gusts up to 60 mph and some thunderstorms.

After midnight is the time we really have to watch. Shower chance is 70%.

A squall line may move through between 2:00 and 7:00 a.m. Showers will linger Sunday morning south of I-10 and then clearing out quickly by mid morning.

Sunday's high is 62, then look for a possible inland freeze Monday morning, with a high of 56.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2007
11:42 AM

Post #4299871

Good morning!

Sharon - sure hope there weren't any tornadoes last night! Very cool link to the paper dolls :-) The girls were cutting out clothes all day yesterday. Some of them needed to be colored so there was a lot of coloring and cutting going on :-)

Ric - does the palm stay outside all winter ???? Very nice snow photos - sorry it's all gone (or maybe you're not?)

Debi and Dyson - so glad you got rain!!! YAY! Debi - yesterday's yule lad's name vrusleikir would be pronounced Thviruslaikir or something close to that ;-) (that first i is pronounced like i in "first", "ai" like in "rain")

Today's low pressure system will probably not reach storm status (wind speeds above 45 mph), so it looks like we're back to "normal" fortunately. At 11 am it's 46F, raining and 35 mph winds from the SE gusting to 53 mph. So it will be a wet and blustery day today but hopefully without more damage. There's very dim daylight, sunrise was at be at 11.17 am and sunset will be at 3:29.

Nr. 5 is Pottaskefill, yet another kitchen lurker. He has a different system from the others though. He knocks on the door. When he hears the pitter patter of little feet running to the door he swoops down the chimney or through the kitchen window to find a pot with leftovers to clean out. Then he's gone before anyone notices he was there, very slick ;-) lol.

He brought the girls colored pencils.

We're making "laufabrau" ("leaf bread") today which is a traditional icelandic Christmas pastry. It's very thin, flour cakes that are deep fried. Because flour was a luxury item the cakes were rolled out very thin. To make them more presentable they were decorated with a cut-out leaf pattern. Rolling the dough out is a lot of work so I bought them ready to be cut-out and then fried ... I'll try to post a photo when they're done ;-)

Hope you all have a great day :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #4299888

We received 2" of rain over night! I heard thunder and lightening around 3am when the NOAA radio went off again. Other than that, we are fine, no damage at all. I believe the majority of the serious storm was south of us.

Rann - The leaf bread sounds good! Please post at picture when finished. It seems the girls really enjoy the cut out dolls!

Mist yesterday around 1pm.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
12:13 PM

Post #4299891

Ooops forgot the weather!

67.6 F / 19.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h
Pressure: 29.74 in / 1007.0 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 900 ft / 274 m
Scattered Clouds 8500 ft / 2590 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 9 am this morning to 6 PM EST this afternoon...
Freeze warning in effect from 5 am to 8 am EST Monday...
Freeze watch in effect from late Monday night through Tuesday morning...

Today
Partly cloudy and brisk. Highs in the mid 60s. West winds 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

We are at our high now. It's supposed to cool off quickly.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2007
12:36 PM

Post #4299912

Still raining, Gauge at 2.3 in. for an overnight gain of .7 in,

37(F)

Relative Humidity: 89%
Wind: 280 (W) at 3mph
Pressure: 29.5in
Yesterday's Precip: 0.87in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 32F
Yesterday's High Temp: 39F
Dew Point: 33
Visibility: 8mi
Ceiling: 600ft
Heat Index: 36
Wind Chill: 36
6hr Precip: 0.03in
6hr Low Temp: 34F
6hr High Temp: 36F
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
1:24 PM

Post #4299966

Yea Dyson, Sharon and me!!! We got rain.
However it's supposed to get chilly tonight. I have a full day ahead of me.
Bringing in pots of coleus and covering others. Steady getting ready for my brother's visit.
When I was young I loved paperdolls, but didn't like cutting all those clothes out. My cousin, Barbara, who is here now loved to cut them out so I really tried to have some on hand every visit we made.
She's staying until Jan 29th.
By the way Kiska, cousin Barbara's DD lives in Anchorage and her BF is building them a house in the Palmer area. She lived in AK for 35 years.
They went for 5 months back in the 70's and never came home. LOL
She now lives in Texas. I went there last Christmas.
Have a lovely sunday and hope your luminario walk goes well tonight Pepper.
Sidney

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #4300244

Well it seems we are getting a taste of everyone's weather this week.
Upper 60's last Weds.. pouring rains Thurs and Fri... Snow yesterday...
Now like Rannveig we are getting hammered w/ Wind.
It has lessened some from early this morning though.
When I got up we were getting 35 MPH sustained winds w/ 55-60 MPH Gusts.
Now it's 25 MPH w/ gusts of about 35 MPH.
The plastic we put up stayed up but is a little worse for wear.
So we're off to get it finished right...
It's currently 30 and dropping but no rain or snow forecast.

Rannveig I love those Christmas Tales and Illustrations and Yes that Palm does indeed stay out all year.

Be Careful Out there ALL of You!
Ric
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
3:26 PM

Post #4300269

Current conditions as of 8:55 am CST

Fair
Feels Like: 23
Barometer: 30.26 in and rising
Humidity: 69%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 23
Wind: WNW 12 mph
Sunrise: 7:09 am
Sunset: 4:58 pm

Our high today is forecast to be in the low 40's. The sun is shining, though. Hooray!
I sent all our rain over to Dyson, Deb, Sharon and Sydney! LOL--Glad you folks who need it more than we do are finally getting some rain.
Great shot of the tufted titmouse, Deb. At first it looked almost like a bluebird due to the coloring in the feathers. Have you ever seen a titmouse with a mustache? Our dog was fond of sleeping on the mat I had outside the door. Naturally some of his fur would be left behind on the mat. One day I noticed a stange looking bird on the mat as I walked by the door. I did a double-take and there was a titmouse with a beak full of dog fur. She was obviously collecting it for her nest! LOL
Sharon: Yes, how well I remember Betsy McCall. If I had a small granddaughter, I would definitely encourage her with paper dolls--so much fun! Alas, my granddaughters are past the paper doll age.
Rann: Troll #5 is definitely slick! LOL and I have given up trying to pronounce the names! Your girls should be able to make good use of those colored pencils with the paper doll clothes that need coloring. :o)
Ric: palm trees and snow--never thought I would see that combo.
Kelli--your grass photo reminds of prairie grass.
Kiska, your new hobby has us all intrigued. Keep those photos coming!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
3:30 PM

Post #4300281

Here's a photo of our cold and frosty morning just as the sun was coming up. It's a little fuzzy but hopefully you can find the star up there above the tree.

Thumbnail by marsue

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 16, 2007
4:20 PM

Post #4300464

7*F; dark w/starry sky..but the weather calls for clouds later.
Mostly cloudy. Highs 5 to 15 above. Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph.
Sunrise: 10:11am, sunset: 3:32 loss of 1m 1second.
Sidney; your cousin's DD chose a wonderful town to build in. Glad to hear that you have some rain. We came for a couple of years in '78 and never went back:))
MySharona~~freeze warning for tomorrow~~maybe a white christmas in the works..
rann~~paper dolls were also a favorite of me and my friends; I found beautiful set for my gdaughters a few years ago and they too, loved them.
So glad to that Hildur is back on the "good" list:)) . I look forward to the bread pics, too.
pepper~did the walk go well today?
marsue~very pretty morning there; love the how the tree anchors the scene.
ric~~how do you know what to prepare for, weatherwise? It seems to be a wild mix. And, that's a lot of pots to tend...
Dyson~~so good to be seeing that it's raining enough to be of help.
Ice luminairias yesterday at about 4pm.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #4300580

Dyson Alright! Still getting rain?
Sidney Ill be covering plants and bringing some in. WX always says the freeze warning isnt coastal, but it always is here.
Kiska - I doubt we'll have a white Christmas, but it sure would be fun!

60.8 F / 16.0 C
Clear
Humidity: 36%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9.7 km/h / 2.7 m/s from the WNW
Wind Gust: 10.1 mph / 16.3 km/h / 11.8 m/s
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Steady)
UV: 5 out of 16

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 9 am this morning to 6 PM EST this afternoon...
Freeze warning in effect from 5 am to 8 am EST Monday...
Freeze watch in effect from late Monday night through Tuesday morning...

Taken on the way to church this morning. I don't think I've ever mentioned this, but the marina is at the end of the road.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2007 2:50 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 16, 2007
5:41 PM

Post #4300668

Currently: 20F Fair
Currently: -6C Fair
Wind: South at 5 MPH
Dewpoint: 15F
Barometer: 30.16 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 13F
Wind: South at 8 KPH
Dewpoint: -9C
Barometer: 1021 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: -10 C

Luminary walk is tonight. I hope we get a big crowd to make up for last night. :~)

Gonna go sledding tomorrow after work.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2007
5:57 PM

Post #4300729

Pepper: Good luck with the luminary walk!
Kiska: Speaking of luminaria, yours look so beautiful!
Sharon, Sydney, Dyson: Isn't it amazing how happy the sound of rain can make a person feel? We only got 1 inch, but -hey - I'll take it!!
Rann: Looking forward to seeing a photo of your leaf bread.

Well, we're going froms spring , right back to winter very suddenly. Windy today and expecting the first real freeze this evening.

Rest of Today
Sunny. Highs in the upper 50s. Breezy. West winds 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 45 mph.
Tonight
Clear. Lows in the upper 20s. Much cooler. Northwest winds 10 to 20 mph.
Monday
Sunny. Highs in the lower 50s. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.
Monday Night
Clear. Widespread frost after midnight. Lows in the mid 20s. West winds around 5 mph in the evening.

Heading out to cover some plants. :(
Deb

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 16, 2007
6:20 PM

Post #4300819

Kiska, how do you make ice luminarias? That sounds like a neat thing to try, even here.

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 16, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #4300895

MySharona~~very pretty drive and it's another bit of info that makes this so interesting as we learn more about the area.
Deb~~that's going to be quite a swing in weather; how many plants do you cover?
Kelli~~the ice luminairias are easy. You can make them in a freezer, which is what the outdoors is here:)). I just place the molds on the deck, when they're frozen, unmold and place a tea light inside.
I use quart plastic paint container/ from wmart, for the mold, then, add a smaller diameter plastic container inside. Add beans for weight to hold the smaller one in place; then add water between the molds. They should be about 1/2 in thick and as deep as you'd like.
Looking down into the molded ice...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2007
6:47 PM

Post #4300896

Kiska - that's a gorgeous photo :-) I love those ice luminarias and like Kelli would love to know how you make them :-)

Here's a photo from our leaf bread cutting/folding - Hildur Eva patiently working on hers. Selma didn't last 5 min... she thought it was far too complicated! lol

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 16, 2007
6:51 PM

Post #4300906

rann~~cross-posted so there are some directions above for the ice luminairias.
HildurEva is just beautiful. Her concentration is apparent and the bread will turn out great. I got a smile from thinking of Selma's "concentration" level. very cute.
Kiska
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #4300910

Kiska - we cross posted - thanks for the explanation :-)

Here's one of the breads ready for frying :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 16, 2007
7:09 PM

Post #4300947

Rann: your leaf bread looks something like the very thin cookies called "pizelles" that the Italians make. They use something like a waffle iron to make the cookies rather than deep frying them. My DH's cousin's wife is of Italian heritage and she makes them every year at Christmas-time. HildurEva certainly is concentrating! LOL
Kiska, I think I may just have to try making some of those ice luminaries--only I'll have to put mine in the freezer. LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2007
7:21 PM

Post #4300993

Kiska, a belated very Happy Birthday!!

26*, but a beautiful cloudy day. It felt good to sit in the cold air early this morn. I was sick all day yesterday with the crud but feel fairly good now. The brain is sluggish so I'll just try to read all the posts.

Rann, really enjoying the Christmas stories and so sorry Hildar Eva had to learn a hard lesson. Both girls are so sweet!
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
8:14 PM

Post #4301137

Kiska Thanks for the info on the luminarias! Ill have to try it. Tomorrow is supposed to be cold again with another freeze warning. That gives me enough time to get a couple ready to go!
Rann Selma is adorable and the total concentration on her face is priceless! The leaf bread is very pretty. What is the flavor?
Sally Glad to hear from you and I hope you feel better soon!

60.6 F / 15.9 C
Clear
Humidity: 29%
Dew Point: 28 F / -2 C
Wind: 7.0 mph / 11.3 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph / 20.9 km/h / 10.8 m/s
Pressure: 29.88 in / 1011.7 hPa (Rising)
UV: 3 out of 16

Three protected Live Oaks on the left with 2 B&B's. On the right (unseen) is St. Peter's Episcopal Church. The building red/white brick building in the background is the Courthouse. I'll try to get a picture of the St. Peter's this evening.

This message was edited Dec 16, 2007 3:49 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #4301199

Jeff brought these home to me! They're so cute! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 16, 2007
8:45 PM

Post #4301219

Hi,guys,I kinda lost the thread and you were so chatty!

It's been snowing in Bucharest today and still coming down!Not so cold,though!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #4301386

Thanks Sharon, I feel almost normal now. Just sat down with a cup of coffee. Protected trees. Is it because they are really old? What a wonderful guy Jeff is to just bring them home. They are really cute!

Adina, same thing happens to me. Glad you found your way back :)) Love the ''tall'' picture. We've had the same color sky for days now.

The ugly side of snow.

Thumbnail by billyporter

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #4301496

Adina - Pretty picture! Love all the snow y'all are getting although I know it's not "all that" all the time. I'm living vicariously through you!
Sally - Yes, they are protected due to their age. There are many here that hold the status.

My favorite story is of Kate Bailey and the Live Oak that she wouldn't allow to be cut down. The Live Oaks are everywhere here. But at the time there were none as grand as the one growing in the middle of Ash Street. The one that peacefully had stood watch over Kate Baileys stately Queen Anne home for years. She adored that oak. And the day city workers came to axe it down, they discovered just how much. Word has it, the tree was a minor obstacle compared to the lady on her veranda with a shotgun.

The road was built around the tree, the house is still there as well! I'll take a picture of it the next time I'm on Ash Street. It really is magnificent!

The building on the right in this picture is the Swann Building. Samuel A. Swann was born in North Carolina in 1832 and came to Fernandina in 1855 to work as an accountant for Joseph Finegan and Company. At that time he was also assistant secretary and treasurer of the Florida Railroad Company, David Yulees corporation that was chartered in 1853 to construct a railroad from Fernandina to Cedar Key. He was an agent for the Florida Land and Immigration Company, the Florida Town Improvement Company and the Trustees for the Internal Improvement Fund in the sale of a huge tract of land. Samuel Swann died in 1909. His Great Floridian plaque may be found at the Swann Building, Centre and North 4th Streets, Fernandina Beach.

The building houses several offices and stores now. I'm not exactly sure when the building was built, but it's over 100 y/o.

Thumbnail by MySharona

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #4301648

Sharon, that is a neat story. Nothing like a woman and a shotgun!! You really have some history don't you? I look forward to the picture.

That's a very nice building.
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2007
12:20 AM

Post #4301794

Currently 33 deg. We had .60 of an inch of freezing rain today. It created quite a ruckus in Dauphin County. Trees down, power lines down, approximately 17000 people in this county alone w/o electric. (And folks in the city do not have supplemental heating or elec powered generators as we rarely get this kind of storm). Now the sun came out this afternoon, roads are dry and clear where there are not downed trees that haven't been removed yet. Shelters are open in the Hbg. and Lebanon County areas. We are in a wind advisory until 1 PM tomorrow with 25-35 mph winds and gusts 50-60 mph.

Our area here between the two mountains has not been badly affected and we still have power. It was a slippery walk to the end of the driveway to get the paper. LOL
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2007
12:27 AM

Post #4301823

Kiska: I don't have many plants to cover. Just (to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas)...3 alpinias, 2 small palms, and a group of southern maiden hair ferns. :)

Rann: Beautiful work you and your girls did on the leaf bread! I can see why you need patience to do it.

49F and dark, on its way down to 26.
(The high on Friday was 81 - so weird - my Cannas are still blooming.)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
12:56 AM

Post #4301927

Sally - There is a lot of history here! Glad you like the story! I'll try to get to Ash Street tomorrow when I'm out and about.
se_eds - I'm so glad you are safe. The storm sounds just awful. Do you keep a wood burning stove for times like these? I hope the power comes back on and quickly.
Deb - My cannas stopped blooming about 2 weeks ago. Yours sure is pretty!

My picture taking skills were being tested tonight! Since I was the passenger the antenna kept getting in my way LOL! So just pretend it's not there!

This is St. Peter's I had to take in 2 pics, Jeff doesn't slow down very well!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #4301931

2nd pic
The parish was formed as a missionary outpost in June of 1858. Construction of the first St. Peters Church building began in November of that year. The present buildings cornerstone was laid in 1881.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
12:59 AM

Post #4301939

Downtown Fernandina Beach

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4301987

BP, I hope you get to feeling better. My DH has a cold now and has felt lousy all day. I'm glad you and Adina found this thread again.
Sharon, Loved the story about Kate Bailey! Nothing like a determined woman! LOL Your photos of the historic buildings are great--that's a beautiful old church. The downtown area looks very festive with the Christmas lights in the trees. Oh, yes--cute froggies!
Deb, I laughed about your plants as I hummed the tune while reading your description. :o))
Se_Eds, glad you didn't lose power. Sounds like you might be in for some strong winds, though.
It was a pretty day here today, though somewhat cold, with the sun shining brightly all day. Cold again tonight but I think it is forecast to be around 50 F tomorrow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #4302120

Rannveig taht Laufabrau (I think that's right) looks lovely!
Do you have an after shot?
What type of oil do you fry it in and at what temperature?
I collect Ethnic Breads and that's one that makes a statement...YUMMY!

Sharon there sure is a lot of history down there for sure. Thanks!

Well it's 28 now and the winds have dropped to 16 MPH...(Wind Chill 16)
It was a bit of a chore getting the plastic around the new addition.
The winds would go from still to 40 MPH in a few seconds...
but we are now weather tight.
We'll let it dry out (and hopefully warm up a bit in there) before starting more work next weekend.

Looks like a pretty nice week coming up.
The winds should die off this evening and we should have a few days of Sun.
Temps upper 40's w/ lows above freezing.

Kiska you keep winter wear, rain gear and shorts in the trunk.
Leave the house in a light jacket then adjust as needed.
I'm not kidding about the shorts.
We've had 68 to -17 for Christmas.
Our coldest months here (and for most of the Midwest) are usually January and Feb.

Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 17, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #4302181

7*F; stayed at that for the day; some sunlight escaped from the cloud cover, briefly, but sure made the snow/ice fog sparkle for a moment. Dark now as sunset was at 3:32.
Thanks, bp; it's been a memorable birthday; greetings from far-flung places and friends, just wonderful. Are you feeling better?
rann~the bread is gorgeous; I had no idea it was going to be so intricate.
Have fun w/luminairias, too.
rann, Kelli, Marsue; MySharona~once you see the light through the ice, you'll love the easy project.
The history of Fernandia Beach is great; loved reading about and seeing some of it.
Adina~~snowy and cold looking there; what do you heat with?
DebinSC~love the easy way to learn what needs covered:)) A cousin of mine teaches, using music, in many ways to help w/learning necessary memorizations. The canna lily is just beautiful.
se_eds~~glad it's getting better now; too bad though, that so many have had to make-do how ever they could.
ric~~glad you were able to "wrap up" the project; now, as you say, just dry out and continue on. So, you pick something to have on hand for every season.. hitting the 60* + mark during the winter at times, guess you just never know.
As the passenger, I wasn't quite fast enough, but hope you get the idea; the depot at Palmer. (Unused as train depot now, community events are held there).
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2007
5:13 AM

Post #4303009

Dark and windy, stopped raining about 11:am and the wind started shortly after.

Currently 33(F)

Relative Humidity: 46%
Wind: 300 (WNW) at 29mph
Gusts: 44mph
Pressure: 29.85in
Yesterday's Precip: 0.87in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 32F
Yesterday's High Temp: 39F
Dew Point: 14
Visibility: 9mi
Ceiling: 4500ft
Heat Index: 33
Wind Chill: 19
6hr Low Temp: 35F
6hr High Temp: 42F

Thumbnail by Dyson

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2007

Post #4303214

oh shoot I just lost my post ... :-( Hate when that happens. Here goes again ;-)

Good morning!

The winds have calmed for now, theres another storm warning on for tonight (I think thats nr. 5). The high pressure system over northern Europe shows no signs of weakening and in the meantime well continue to get hammered with every low pressure system that develops in the Atlantic... the forecast for most of this week is more rain and wind :-(

Currently at 9:30 its fairly calm, 2 mph from the NE, 37F and cloudy. There will probably be some more rain today. Sunrise will be at 11:18 and sunset at 3:29.

Thanks everyone for your comments on the leaf bread. It has a rather bland flavor since its just flour, milk, butter, salt and a tiny bit of sugar. Its a good example of how you can create something wonderful out of very little. Which is what people had, very little flour and sugar so they had to make the best of it, hence the decorations. Traditionally it was fried in lard (sheeps of course), but I used vegetable oil. Ric I fried it in a pot on the stove so I have no idea of the temperature high enough for it to cook quickly! lol Its actually the first time Ive fried them on my own. Until now leaf bread cutting has always taken place at my mom's and she's done the frying ;-).

Now heres a question for yall do your Christmas preparations involve a lot of baking and if so what do you make???? Here we make cookies of all kinds... the only time we make them actually ;-)

Sharon I loved the story of the live oak and the lady :-) Cant wait to see the photo of the tree :-)

Deb gorgeous canna!

Ric glad the winds have calmed over there too :-) Your forecast sounds a lot better than mine! lol Sounds like a very interesting collection :-) Ill get an after shot today ;-)

seeds that must have been an awful storm. Glad youre OK and hope the electricity will get reconnected very soon.

marsue those Italian cookies sound a lot healthier since theyre not fried ;-) Are they sweet?

Here's nr. 6: Askasleikir wasn't slick at all. He was on the lookout for food containers with leftovers in them (the traditional wooden containers food was served in are named "askur") and used to hide under beds waiting for something to turn up (this was when the living and sleeping area were in the same space ... today he'd not find much to eat under beds. ;-) lol) When he got his hands on some leftovers he'd slurp them down as loudly as he could, with little regard to good manners ;-) lol

He brought the girls heart shaped erasers and Christmas stamps.

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007

Post #4303215

35.8 F / 2.1 C
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 16 F / -9 C
Wind: 6.0 mph / 9.7 km/h / 2.7 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph / 20.9 km/h
Windchill: 31 F / -1 C
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
12:33 PM

Post #4303321

Marsue Ou high today is 52! Were neck and neck!
Ric Youve been busy! The winds picked up here after the rain. Its been a chore getting and keeping the plants covered. The neighbors roof has a little frost on it this morning, but nowhere else yet. The temp is still falling.
Kiska I have one luminaria ready and am making more. My freezer isnt very big LOL!
Is that close to what (Ive heard) is called a white out? Thats a very wintery picture!
Dyson You received a lot of rain! Thats awesome!
Rann Sounds like you are in for a rough week weather wise. Stay inside as much as possible. Do you put honey or confectioners sugar on them after frying? Funny you ask about baking traditions here! Today I start baking for family, friends and neighbors (and us of course). Im making peanut butter fudge, fudge, several types of cookies (sugar, chunky chocolate chip, oatmeal and peanut butter) and muffins. Im hoping to have as much done as possible today. Ill begin the biscotti sometime during the week. Ill also make some pies to distribute as well. I love to cook and bake and I try to do so as often as possible. Im not particularly fond of store bought cookies (except for Peterbrooke chocolate covered oreos and I stay as far away from those as possible!). Askasleikir reminds me of Prissy! LOL! Shell eat anything the guys give her and sometimes one of them will leave a little bowl of food on the floor for her so I wont know who did it. She is not discriminatory about what she puts in her little body! I just love how you keep the gifts simple and non-techy. I think its great that they will grow up with a love of tradition and be bale to use their imaginations.

34.3 F / 1.4 C
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 15 F / -9 C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 2.2 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 13.0 mph / 20.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 30 F / -1 C

Today
Mostly sunny. Breezy...cooler. High 53. North winds 15 mph. Wind chills 23 to 28 early in the morning.

Thanksgiving cactus is blooming now!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
12:38 PM

Post #4303334

I forgot to mention this. DH bought this heater last year just in case we had a power outage on a cold night here.

http://www.hechinger.com/hardware/tools/674522628-reddy-heater-heat-demon-10000-15000-btu-portable-propane-infrared-tank-top-heater-hd15.html

He tested it this morning. Even on the low setting this little thing puts out some heat!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2007
1:50 PM

Post #4303467

Bright, sunny, cold, I need to move south, the ideal set-up would be up here in the summer & Fla or AZ or TX in the winter, what did I do with that winning lottery ticket?

Relative Humidity: 49%
Wind: 290 (WNW) at 17mph
Gusts: 28mph
Yesterday's Precip: 0.03in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 33F
Yesterday's High Temp: 46F
Dew Point: 13
Heat Index: 30
Wind Chill: 18
6hr Low Temp: 29F
6hr High Temp: 32F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
3:51 PM

Post #4303870

Dyson - LOL!! maybe you're looking for someplace a little more South - like Key West!

Okay here is the famous Live Oak

Edited for typo and to add:

One the left - the first drive way is for the garage of the Bailey House

This message was edited Dec 17, 2007 10:56 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
3:52 PM

Post #4303872

Here is Bailey House

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
3:54 PM

Post #4303879

Here is the trunk of the tree. Front the street one can't tell how wide the trunk is. This will give you an idea. I was standing next to it when I took this. It's massive, but there is nothing stating how old it is.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2007
5:18 PM

Post #4304100

Sharon I lived in Key West, the winter of .. hang on.. the winter of '88 (I think), Had spent a summer working race horses in MD, and went south after working hurricane cleanup in Myrtle Beach, SC. Maybe it was 89? somebody in SC can probably correct me.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 17, 2007
5:37 PM

Post #4304149

Kiska, I loved the shot of the train depot there in Palmer. Practically every small town in Arkansas has an old depot building that is no longer in use for trains, of course, but they have been put to good use for other businesses or just as museums.
Rann, I think every family here in the U.S. has its own traditions for the holidays. Sharon, for instance, loves to cook and bake. I do not, therefore, I don't do a lot of it. However, I do bake pumpkin bread every year at Thanksgiving and Christmas and also pecan pie. When I was growing up, one of our traditions was making divinity. My mother had a recipe for "twice-cooked divinity" and it was yummy--the best divinity I have ever eaten! I don't make it anymore because it is much too tempting and too full of calories! I might hide it and eat the whole batch myself! LOL My DH says he remembers a jam cake that his grandmother made every year during the holidays so it just depends on the particular family. The Italian cookies do have somewhat of a sweet taste to them but not really sweet. It is hard to describe the way they taste.

Sharon, thank goodness that Kate Bailey saved that tree! It is gorgeous and the Bailey house is, too. --- and it's not just our temps that are neck and neck--our cactuses are, too, but I think yours is a few days ahead of mine. I have dressed mine up with a nice red bow in preparation for the photo I am going to take once she is in full bloom. LOL

Dyson, when you find that lottery ticket you will probably discover you have a lot of "best friends" you never knew about! LOL

Sun is shining brightly again today. I'm on my way to the Post Office to get some things in the mail. Y'all have a good day.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #4304182

I am still here, the ticket has not shown it's face, so I will probably have to stay.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2007
6:52 PM

Post #4304333

Sharon - that tree is goreous - it is a good thing she saved it :-) Wow - that's alot of baking! lol It sounds delicious :-) I've made 4 types of cookies so far, not sure if I'll manage more ... it should be plenty ;-) Some people put powdered sugar og syrup on the bread (now that we have that option ;-)) it tastes pretty good :-) When it's served with the tradtional smoked lamb however it's not sweetened.
edited to add: lol about Prissy :-) Actually the food leftovers Askasleikir was after were put out for the dogs and cats - so he wasn't really picky ;-) lol

marsue - I love pecan pie :-)

The wind picked up between 2 and 3 pm. Now at 6:30 it's up to storm status, 45 mph winds gusting to 62 mph. Just lovely ... or not ;-) Lots of rain to go with the wind too :-( I had to drive to Reykjavik and back for Selma's music lesson between 3 and 4:30 - it was really nice to come home. It's no fun to drive in, especially after it gets dark... yuk.

This message was edited Dec 17, 2007 6:54 PM
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 17, 2007
9:59 PM

Post #4304786

Rann, your breads ready for frying reminded me my childhood years and the happy time with my Mom!
Thank you a lot!!!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #4304918

We had frost on the windshield this morning. 29F at 7am. Supposed to be avbout 5 degrees colder tonight. Brrrr. To me, that's FRIGID!! Supposed to get back up toward normal at mid week.

Dyson: That would've been fall of 89 when Hugo hit the SC coast. That winter was also the last time we had any measurable snow here.
Sharon: What a wonderful old oak. How could anyone even consider cutting it down.
Rann: We do lots of cookies. DH likes to bake cheesecake. I like to do Navajo fry-bread on Christmas morning.
Are all the power lines underground up there? If not, do you lose your electricity alot with these winter storms?
Deb
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 17, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #4305008

Debi - that sounds pretty darn cold to me too! lol Hope your plants will be OK ;-) The power lines are underground here so power outages are really rare, and then usually for just a few minutes. The power went off our neighborhood for a little over 30 min. sometime this fall and that's the first time in years I can recall it lasting for so long.

You're welcome Juri :-) Did you make something similar?

It's still very windy and raining. The girls have been a bit worried about other trees around us coming down after our pine blew over. It took them a while to settle down tonight with the wind howling outside ... once again. It's really getting tired. Any of you know how to get rid of high pressure systems that won't budge? lol

Hope you have a good night all :-)

Rann
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 17, 2007
11:52 PM

Post #4305056

4*F this morning; now 8*F at 2:30.
Sunrise 10:12 Sunset 3:32 loss of 50seconds.
Mostly cloudy. Highs 5 to 15 above. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph with local gusts to 50 mph.
Deb-how's the cold? Do you own a scraper? Are you wearing wool? Lots of questions for someone who is not too fond of cold:)) Hope all's well.
MySharona~~thanks for the tour and bit of history...what a huge oak; glad it's there. Happy to hear that the luminairia turned out well. As to "white-out", no, just freezing fog.
rann~~the stories are so wonderful; thanks for keeping us up to date. As to baking, I make a German Sandtorte; it's just butter, sugar, flour and sour cream and vanilla. We will have the grandkids over to do cookies on Saturday and then fill in with assorted baked goods; I've never tried making divinity, but hear that it's tricky to do well.
Marsue~sounds like you mother knew how to make it well.
Dyson~~still no winning ticket?:) bummer.
hi Juri~~
Took this pic of the hot water as it vaporized in the wrong location yesterday; got lost in the tree branches, but will do it again another time. Till nex time; here's hot water vaporizing.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #4305077

Dyson LOL!! I love to visit Key West, but I dont think Id enjoy living there! If youre talking about H. Andrew that was in 1992. Im trying to think of another Hurricane.
Rann Almost everything is baked except for the muffins and sugar cookies. Im tired! I had to get my teeth cleaned today; which took 1.5 hours out of my baking time. Better hang on here comes some more wind!
Deb Were in for blast #2 as well. This time I made sure everything is covered really good!

41.0 F / 5.0 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 21 F / -6 C
Pressure: 30.33 in / 1027.0 hPa (Rising)

Freeze warning in effect from 2 am to 8 am EST Tuesday...

Tonight
Becoming partly cloudy along the coast. Areas of frost after midnight. Lows around 30. North winds 5 mph.

This is The Palace Saloon:

Between 1880-1910 Fernandina's docks were among the busiest in the South. There were over 20 other saloons in the area at the time, but one bore the distinction of being the "Ship Captains Bar." And that was the Palace.

Originally constructed as a haberdashery in 1878, Louis G. Hirth bought the Prescott building in 1903 and replaced shoes with booze and named it the Palace Saloon. Hirth called upon his friend Adolphus Busch, founder of Anheuser-Busch to assist him with designing the saloon, and Busch reportedly traveled from St. Louis to oversee the project. The saloon still has the elegant features that have made it famous for over a century: inlaid mosaic floors, embossed tin ceilings, hard carved mahogany caryatids, a 40' bar lit with gas lamps and walls painted with six commissioned murals.

A true "gentleman's establishment," the bar included complimentary towels hanging from the bar to wipe the foam from patrons' mustaches and 14lb solid brass cuspidors. To keep tabs on the visitors (which included the Rockefellers and Carnegies), Hirth, employed the brass cash register - locals, he simply billed monthly.

The Palace has had to adapt to earn its title of "Florida's Oldest" continuously operated drinking establishment. According to local lore, it was the last bar in Florida to close on the eve of Prohibition. Another first for the Palace, it was the first hard liquor bar to begin serving Coca-Cola, around 1905.

The Palace survived the Prohibition years by selling Texaco gasoline, ice cream, special wines, 3% near-beer and cigars. And for those strong enough to try it, legend says that Hirth made available his signature Cumberland Whiskey.

A fire in 1999 nearly dealt the saloon a deathblow. However, the saloon was restored and the Palace has regained its nostalgic charm and vitality.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 18, 2007
12:57 AM

Post #4305233

Sharon, those are interesting pictures of the buildings. I don't know why, but it surprises me that there are old "anglo" (as opposed to Spanish) buildings in FL.

Rann, when I was a kid, my mom made tons of cookies for Christmas. When I was old enough to to it, then I made most of them. I suppose that she still makes some things. I don't make anything. I don't have any family out here besides DH, and I shouldn't be eating that stuff.

Updated: 3:51 PM PST on December 17, 2007
57 F / 14 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 39 F / 4 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the South

It was sunny earlier but it clouded up pretty quickly. There is a 90% chance of rain tomorrow!!!

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 18, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #4305243

We went hiking today. We went to the same park as last week but to a slightly different area. You'll notice that there is no trail in this picture. That is because there was no trail. When the trail ended, we just kept going cross country until we ended up in a box canyon.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 18, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #4305252

We went through an area that had a brush fire a couple years ago. I got pretty dirty from brushing up against the burned branches and stubs. Note the black on my pants.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #4305324

Kiska--8*F--now THAT's cold!
Sharon, I'm enjoying your stories about the buildings in your area--you sound like a travel brochure for the state of Florida! LOL
Kelli, that looks like a pretty remote area where you went hiking. It occurred to me that there might be mountain lions in the area--is that possible? I seem to remember a news story some time ago about a big cat attacking hikers and bikers somewhere out in CA.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
1:44 AM

Post #4305359

I woke and drove to work on a beautiful cold calm starlit morning...
Then 2 miles from work...White Out...
1/2" of snow in about 10 minutes...
Then snizzle... frozen drizzle ...until about noon...
The funny thing is 3 miles in any direction it was clear... purely 'river affect' snow...
warm water/cold air

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 18, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #4305384

Marsue, it really isn't as remote as it looks. It is wild and undeveloped, but very close to town. Mountain lions are a possibility but not very likely.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
1:54 AM

Post #4305391

Well, that is certainly good to know--that the possibility is not likely. However, I would certainly be carrying a big stick, at the very least!
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2007
2:35 AM

Post #4305524

Currently: 37F Mostly Cloudy
Currently: 2C Mostly Cloudy
Wind: South at 13 MPH
Humidity: 70%
Barometer: 30.02 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 29F
Wind: South at 20 KPH
Humidity: 70%
Barometer: 1016 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: -1 C

Almost too hot after all the cold temps we had been having.

Thumbnail by pepper23

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4305679

Wow, pepper, 37 deg. That is warmer than todays 31. Things are back to normal here in upper Dauphin County. In the lower part of the county, still people without electric. My husband has to travel to the Lebanon County V.A. Hospital for a checkup on Wednesday. Lebanon Co. was one of the hardest hit areas. A lot of the city streets are still blocked with fallen trees and telephone poles. Half the city is without electric. They are scheduled to be restored by Wednesday, elec. co. folks from all of Pa. and Ohio are in the area. They have shelters set up in nearby fire companies.

Guess we will have to call Wednesday morning before he leaves. It is about a 100 mile trip from here.

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 18, 2007
12:29 PM

Post #4306447

Se_eds: Hope everyone stays safe up there. It sounds very bad.

Woke up to 26F and frost on the ground this morning. Definitely the coldest weather we've had this year.

Deb
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #4306541

Good morning! (although it's 1 pm ;-) lol)

The storm passed without incident and it's just a bit breezy today, mostly cloudy and no rain so far :-) 11 mph breeze from the SW and 37F.

Kiska - Wind like that in those freezing temperatures must be brutal - I sure wouldn't want to be out in it ! brrrrrrrr...

Kelli - beautiful scenery and so nice to see a photo of you :-)

Sharon - the saloon has a very interesting history - thanks for sharing it :-) Thanks, I do try to make sure they get to execise their imagination once in a while ;-) And I believe I'd be exhausted if I made all that in one day too! lol

marsue - What's divinity?

Nr. 7 is Huraskellir. He's a real prankster. When everyone's asleep he'll quietly go from door to door to check which one creaks the most. When he's found it he'll slam it as hard as he can ... the more noise the better. I'm not sure the poor people he startles agree with him though.

He brought the girls Littlest Petshop pets.

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2007
1:27 PM

Post #4306549

Here's sunrise at 12 o'clock today :-) High noon is around 1 pm.

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2007
1:33 PM

Post #4306565

Kelli I saw the rain on the news; are you flooding? We really dont have much Spanish influence in the architecture here even though Spain ruled here twice. That begins farther south around St. Augustine. The area was first inhabited by the Timucuan Tribe. Known as the "Isle of 8 Flags", it had the following flags flown over it since 1562. France, Spain, Gret Britain, Spain (again), the Patriots of Amelia Island, The Green Cross of Florida, Mexico, the Confederate States of American and the United States. It is the only municipality in the United States that has flown eight different national flags.
Marsue I never realized how much I actually know about the area. Its a very interesting little island with tons of history.
Ric What do you do in a white out? Keep driving? That has to be a frightening situation.
Pepper Isnt it funny how easily we adapt to the temps?
Se_eds Stay safe on the drive (and warm).
Rann Huraskellir sounds like a sassy little guy! LOL!! Love the sunrise!

43.5 F / 6.4 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 29 F / -2 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h
Pressure: 30.41 in / 1029.7 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy until late afternoon then becoming mostly cloudy. Areas of frost early in the morning. High 58. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

I was too late getting out this morning to get a good picture of our frost, but this is what's left over!

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 18, 2007
3:06 PM

Post #4306833

Good morning, everyone! We're having a great time with Grandma and Grandpa here, but it has severely cut into my DG time. :-) I'm all caught up now, I think...

Rann, I'm enjoying the stories. :-) Those Littlest Pet Shop pets are really cute. Huraskellir sounds really obnoxious! LOL

Be careful on your trip, se_eds!!!

We actually got down to freezing Sunday night, but it clouded over yesterday and was much warmer last night. It's going to be in the upper 60s today and in the 70s tomorrow.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (61 min ago)
Temperature 59 F 15 C
Dew Point 54 F 12 C
Humidity 83%
Pressure 30.22 in 1023.3 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Ceiling 6500 ft 1981 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Cloudy
Remarks No remarks this hour.6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 55.9F / 13.3C
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
6:35 PM

Post #4307495

Detailed Local Forecast
Today: Considerable cloudiness. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 56F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight: Partly cloudy skies. Low 41F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
It's considerably warmer than it was over the week-end although it is cloudy.

Rann: Divinity is an absolutely melt-in-your-mouth type of white candy that tastes simply divine--thus the name "Divinity". It is mostly sugar which is cooked to a certain stage and then cooked some more until it forms a "thread" when you hold up a spoon and let the candy in it "thread" down. It does not do well when made in humid weather, though. At present, I am unable to find my mother's recipe. However, I will ask my sister if she still has a copy of the recipe and dmail it to you if you would like to give it a try. BTW, troll #7 sounds like a naughty little fellow! LOL Oh, that is a beautiful sunrise pic even if it did take place at noon!
Pepper--you are practically having a heat wave--37 F--oh, my! :o))
Marylyn--glad your family is enjoying the grandparents--I know they are enjoying their time with you, too!
Se_eds: have a safe trip tomorrow!
Ric: hope the white-out conditions are long gone by now.
Sharon: frost in Florida--the combo doesn't compute! LOL
My DH's cousin lives in Tulsa. He emailed us some photos of the damage caused by the recent ice storm there. I'll see if I can get them from my inbox and post one or two here. Be back in a few. . .
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 18, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #4307502

Sharon, I don't think there was enough rain for flooding, at least around here. We got 0.3 inches overnight. To me it looks like that will be it, but they say it could still rain some more today.

You probably haven't noticed, but most of the time I will say that we had x inches of rain "overnight" or "last night". I don't know why it is, but most of the time when it rains, it rains between 8PM and 8AM. It has to be a pretty strong storm for it to rain a significant amount during the day.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on December 18, 2007
53 F / 12 C
Light Drizzle Mist
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 52 F / 11 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SE

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 18, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #4307856

minus 7* and this time the hot water vaporized much better;
Sunrise 10:13 Sunset: 3:32 loss of 37 seconds.
rann~~love the sunrise; better late than never:)) Number 7 is quite a character; are there sound-effects?
MySharona~~like marsue says, the words "frost and Florida" seem at odds with one another.
Deb~~keep warm:)
Ric~those would have been terrible driving conditions; glad it wasn't widespread.
Marylyn~~good times for the girls w/grandparent's there, I'm sure.
Kelli~~certainly looks remote; and walking through the fire damage sure did leave it's mark...nice to see you, too.
se_eds~~as others have said, have a safe trip; 100 miles; do you spend the night or make it one long day?
pepper23~~very pretty; snow and ice really makes a statement.
Kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 18, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #4307860

Hot water vaporization...

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 18, 2007
9:31 PM

Post #4308034

Kiska,that is so cool about vaporizing water,but also thinking how cold it is...
Billy,do you still have snow?Ours has melted and it's almost gone by now!
Rann,cool pictures,I hope no tree came down anymore !
Kelli, the mountains look beautiful!
Sharon, your cactus is beautiful! My DH has one at work and I took a picture.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #4308512

Marylyn Sounds like yall are having lots of fun!
Kelli The Today Show was talking about the weather CA was getting this morning and flooding! When I looked at the tv screen LA was right in the middle of it! Oh Well! LOL!
Kiska That is so cool! How cold does it have to be to do that? Brrrrr!
Adina My Christmas cactus is still all buds. Yours is so pretty!

56.1 F / 13 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 51%
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Pressure: 30.33 in / 1027.0 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Few 4500 ft / 1371 m
Mostly Cloudy 15000 ft / 4572 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007

Post #4308547

40(F), clear

The doctor at UVA medical cleared me to return to work today, then I spoke w/my boss on the phone who put me on vacation until the end of the year.

Relative Humidity: 35%
Wind: 120 (ESE) at 7mph
Pressure: 30.3in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 29F
Yesterday's High Temp: 38F
Dew Point: 14
Heat Index: 40
Wind Chill: 35
6hr Low Temp: 22F
6hr High Temp: 42F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
12:23 AM

Post #4308575

Dyson - That's wonderful news! Congratulations!
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2007
12:46 AM

Post #4308644

Dyson: I'm sure you'll find something to do. :)
Sharon: I like todays windshield shot!
Kiska: People laughed at me when I arrived at work today. A turtle neck plus sweater under a nice wool coat and a wool scarf. I don't know what was so funny - I wasn't wearing my wool hat and gloves. ;-> Me new ice luminaria is out on the portch. It's' so pretty, but it'll melt tomorrow.

Adina: That's a lovely cactus. Mine is slowing down now.
Marylyn: We've only had freezing temps for a couple of days, but I'm looking forward to getting back into the 60s like y'all!
(Hopefully by the weekend)

Currently 46F and clear. Low tonight 32F. High tomorrow 55. Glad we got that inch of rain a few days ago - nothing in the forecast that even resembles moisture.
This is a closeup of the frost on one of the Elephan Ears this morning.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 19, 2007
1:27 AM

Post #4308765

Sharon, I am only guessing, but I would imagine that what they showed on t.v. was one of those intersections with bad drainage that takes little more than a heavy dew to flood. There's one in Sylmar (I think) that is a real classic. It really hasn't rained all that much.

... Preliminary rainfall totals...

The following are rainfall totals in inches
for this rain event through 400 PM this afternoon.

.Los Angeles County metropolitan
Avalon... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... . 0.05
Hawthorne (khhr)... ... ... ... ... ... 0.07
downtown Los Angeles... ... ... ... .. 0.09
Los Angeles ap (klax)... ... ... ... . 0.13
Long Beach (klgb)... ... ... ... ... .. 0.20
Santa Monica (ksmo)... ... ... ... ... 0.02
Monte Nido fs... ... ... ... ... ... ... 0.95
Big Rock Mesa... ... ... ... ... ... ... 0.43
Bel Air hotel... ... ... ... ... ... ... 0.35
Ballona ck @ Sawtelle... ... ... ... . 0.08
Beverly Hills... ... ... ... ... ... ... 0.07
Hollywood rsvr... ... ... ... ... ... .. 0.12
l.A. R @ Firestone... ... ... ... ... . 0.02
La Habra Heights... ... ... ... ... ... 0.04

Picture from yesterday that is better than the one I posted yesterday.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007

Post #4308805

Heat wave going on til the weekend. Then snow and cold again.

Currently: 34F Clear
Currently: 1C Clear
Wind: West at 6 MPH
Humidity: 72%
Dewpoint: 26F
Barometer: 30.05 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 29F
Wind: West at 9 KPH
Humidity: 72%
Barometer: 1017 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -1 C

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
1:52 AM

Post #4308821

I can vouch for Kelli's statement about Sylmar.
We slid down there to Sam's Club (plus a KILLER Reptile Pet Store) a few years back.
From my BIL's house it's a straight shot down Foothill.
It started raining just as we entered the area.
Nothing special just a steady rain... next thing we knew we were driving in 5" of water.
It was coming from every driveway and side street.

BTW Sylmar is the home of the February Ninth quake or the 2/9 Quake as Bobby and the locals call it.
In 1971 they got hammered by a 6.6 and the Freeway Overpasses and several buildings collapsed.
The footage I've seen is pretty scary and about 50 people were killed.
My BIL had just come thru there in '94' when the Overpass collapsed again...

In a whiteout or fog here you are supposed to get distance from those around you but keep going at a reasonable speed.
Around here localized Fog is fairly common.
Most times it lasts about a 1/2 mile and is usually found as you cross a valley.
Unfortuneately... there is usually someone who panics and slams on the breaks.
Luckily at 6:30 AM, when I hit it, it was mostly the same people who are there every morning going to work.
I saw tapping brake lights about a mile before I got in it so had time to adjust.
Those at 7:30... not so lucky... somebody panicked and there was a 8 car pileup right at my exit.

It was clear and cold this morning w/ only a slight river fog.
By afternoon we were sunny and 43.
Where we'll be for the next few days.

We 'may' be looking at a White Christmas...
It's supposed to snow Christmas Eve Day... when we have to travel to Dayton...
But that's FAR away weatherwise here...lol!

Ric
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007

Post #4308835

kiska, love your vaporizing pictures. Seems just about impossible.

Dyson, glad to hear you are healed enough to go back to work. Enjoy your vacation and I hope you do not have toback during the worst winter weather,

It was 17 deg on the porch this AM but got up to 37 during the day. Tonight we have clouds and a predicted low of 23 deg. It is now winter!! Roads are clear and the only area that is really still hurting from that ice storm is Lebanon. Heard on the news tonight that our Ok. friends are still in the dark. And Cold! Stay safe all.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
4:16 AM

Post #4309220

Yes Mam! Winter is here!
Brand new thread! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/798363/
Come on over!!!
;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America