Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective: Good information

Communities > Forums > Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary PerspectiveReplies: 5, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2007
1:21 PM

Post #4287225

Thanks for the thorough first-hand experience. Lots of poisonous plant anecdotes are simply repetitions of what today are called urban myths, or at best misattributions of problems to what looks like the obvious colorful culprit.

Have you had any experience, or read any reports of animal (or people, for that matter) problems related to the pesticides applied to houseplants (holiday or otherwise)? That would be a great followup article as well.

I don't follow the tropical or houseplant forums; maybe this has been stated there before. As a much younger horticulturist (20 years ago) I was taught by mentors that Poinsettia was more dangerous (at that time) due to the granular surface-applied pesticide commonly used during plant production. That product had plenty of aspects that would cause havoc with mammals if ingested.

As you have expressed so well above, there are many more common items potentially more devastating to pets around the house than plants. Like loose string.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2007
3:45 PM

Post #4287634

Great information Geoff! I was awaiting this article eagerly, it was timely and necessary.

good job!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 12, 2007
9:13 PM

Post #4288585

Excellent article! Now I can tell my friends to relax and let the cats into the same room as the poinsettias... :-)

I hope you'll do an article at some point on common houseplants (like spider plants, pothos, wandering jew, english ivy as you just mentioned) and their toxicity -- maybe a top 10 list of ones we should actually watch out for. Is there a web site you could recommend for sensible advice on this topic? As you've said, there's a lot of scary exaggeration out there.

I'll definitely be sending the link to this article around to friends and family. Thanks!!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2007
9:43 PM

Post #4288686

That is a planned article, but not for a few months
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2007
3:19 AM

Post #4289535

Great article, thank you so much. My cats and I are very happy to have this information.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 17, 2007
8:56 PM

Post #4304626

Great info Geoff! I especially liked the little note at the bottom indicating that there are so many other things to be watchful for around the holidays...tinsel was always our biggest problem...the cats just really seem to enjoy choking it down.

Thanks for the great read!

Happy Holidays!
Shari

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! nedweenie 0 Dec 12, 2007 12:33 PM
I'd always wondered about that digigirl 0 Dec 12, 2007 3:00 PM
Finally! Someone with some sense! plantfreak78 2 Dec 23, 2007 2:53 PM
Yahoo! one less thing to worry me☺ posyblossom 1 Dec 12, 2007 7:57 PM
Toxic Plants steveodaniel 0 Dec 17, 2007 5:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America