Thank you so much for putting this information out there on a grander scale. I work at a nursery and I've been trying to tell people the truth about "toxic" plants for years. I bring home "toxic" plants all the time. My three cats have nibbled pothos, Dieffenbachia, Philodendron and Christmas cactus. Poinsettias seem to be one of their favorites because they eat entire leaves at first and then come back for little nibbles afterward. (maybe I have dumb cats...) Anyway, it's great to see that someone else has sense enough not to just repeat the untruths that dominate the internet. We all want to keep our pets safe but we don't have to give up on our houseplants to do so.
Yes!! Thank you Geoff, for investigating this topic and spreading your knowledge and common sense!
I like that you pointed out that the word "toxic" does NOT mean "this will kill you right now"! Toxicity is not just a "yes or no" property of plants, foods, or chemicals. "The dose makes the poison", just as too much (or too little) water can hurt a plant.
My cays have nibbled Poinsettia before with no ill effects, and I have always wondered why they are considered so dangerous. Thank you for putting these common plant warnings into their proper perspective.