Photo by Melody

Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective: Finally! Someone with some sense!

Communities > Forums > Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective
bookmark
Forum: Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary PerspectiveReplies: 2, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

December 12, 2007
5:08 PM

Post #4287879

Thank you so much for putting this information out there on a grander scale. I work at a nursery and I've been trying to tell people the truth about "toxic" plants for years. I bring home "toxic" plants all the time. My three cats have nibbled pothos, Dieffenbachia, Philodendron and Christmas cactus. Poinsettias seem to be one of their favorites because they eat entire leaves at first and then come back for little nibbles afterward. (maybe I have dumb cats...) Anyway, it's great to see that someone else has sense enough not to just repeat the untruths that dominate the internet. We all want to keep our pets safe but we don't have to give up on our houseplants to do so.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2007
6:12 PM

Post #4288090

Superb information - loved this article!!

katsu
Columbus, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007
2:53 PM

Post #4321649

Yes!! Thank you Geoff, for investigating this topic and spreading your knowledge and common sense!
I like that you pointed out that the word "toxic" does NOT mean "this will kill you right now"! Toxicity is not just a "yes or no" property of plants, foods, or chemicals. "The dose makes the poison", just as too much (or too little) water can hurt a plant.
My cays have nibbled Poinsettia before with no ill effects, and I have always wondered why they are considered so dangerous. Thank you for putting these common plant warnings into their proper perspective.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Toxic Plants of the Winter Holidays, from a Veterinary Perspective Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thank you! nedweenie 0 Dec 12, 2007 12:33 PM
Good information ViburnumValley 5 Dec 17, 2007 8:56 PM
I'd always wondered about that digigirl 0 Dec 12, 2007 3:00 PM
Yahoo! one less thing to worry me☺ posyblossom 1 Dec 12, 2007 7:57 PM
Toxic Plants steveodaniel 0 Dec 17, 2007 5:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America