Photo by Melody

Article: The Ultimate in Garden Art: The Chihuly Exhibit at Phipps Conservatory: chihuly

Communities > Forums > Article: The Ultimate in Garden Art: The Chihuly Exhibit at Phipps Conservatory
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Ultimate in Garden Art: The Chihuly Exhibit at Phipps ConservatoryReplies: 45, Views: 278
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 13, 2007
11:13 AM

Post #4290058

I saw this in Florida and was overwhelmed by it. The art work really complements the plants.Thanks for writing such a lovely article on it.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2007
11:20 AM

Post #4290072

I saw his work when at the Atlanta Botanical Garden and was absolutely awestruck by the beauty. He also had an exhibit at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, a ceiling done and how pretty it was. Your pictures are lovely.
Sharon
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
11:35 AM

Post #4290087

Love it!! Excellent article, descriptions and incredible photos - only wish I could see it in person. Thank you for "taking us with you" :)
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
11:53 AM

Post #4290101

Yes indeed - a lovely article and your photo tour was pure pleasure :)
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #4290307

I saw the exhibit in the Bronx Botanical Gardens. I made a desktop out of a photo of one of the hanging installations - it was really beautiful. (Too bad I can't show it to you.) :(
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

December 13, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #4290862

WOW! Thanyou so much, that place looks fantastic,I would love to visit in real life one day!
Your pictures are brilliant, thanks again for the tour.
nutmegnana
Adamstown, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #4290898

Great article, Jill, and lovely photographs. We're planning to get up there to see it.
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #4290915

Jill, thanks for your article. I saw a Chilhuly exhibit in St. Louis, I believe last year. It is awesome to behold! Eye candy, if there ever was any eye candy!

Pat
tucsonjill
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2007
5:48 PM

Post #4291131

If anything would get me to Pittsburgh between now and February, that would be it--fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
5:50 PM

Post #4291139

Thanks! Walking through the exhibit really was an experience that can only be hinted at by words and photos... I hope that people will make every effort to go if they possibly can! :-)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 13, 2007
7:06 PM

Post #4291344

Jill,congratulations for a wonderful article ! Thanks for the tour! I never saw such an exibition,very interesting !
Adina
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 13, 2007
7:17 PM

Post #4291365

Another world opened. Thank you so very much. The video and ensuing videos that I have discovered are wonderful. Will take a week to view them all.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
7:28 PM

Post #4291401

Yes! I've seen some neat PBS specials -- I think there was one that went into some detail on how he and his people set up the Venice exhibition -- but I really liked the short video clip they did at Phipps. There's no chatting and interviewing on it, just walking through the exhibit with a little background music playing. Nice!
plutodrive
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #4291436

Great photos. You reminded me of a trip to the Garfield Park Conservatory in Chicago when I lived there a few years back. I was awed by Chihuly's sculptures but your pictures are better than what I can remember. Thank you.

slcdms

slcdms
Ripley, MS

December 13, 2007
7:49 PM

Post #4291451

My daughter and her hubs deliverd a load of Chihuly glass to a conservatory several years ago. the people there treated them like they were VIP's. they gave them a tour of the place. They did not realize what they were bringing to them was so important to them, of course they knew they were hauling his glass, but the operators of the place gave them the VIP treatment.
Sandra
girlgroupgirl

December 13, 2007
8:03 PM

Post #4291502

The photos are beautiful! We couldn't even get into the Chihuly exibit here, even though we tried several times - it was even held over and sold out every day!

GGG
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #4291572

If you do get a chance to get up to Pittsburgh, it's good to get tickets in advance, especially for the popular evening times. I really want to go back to see the pieces lit up at night!
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

December 13, 2007
10:33 PM

Post #4291919

I need to start a fan club for Jill. Really enjoy your articles. Love, love, love the photos.
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 13, 2007
10:54 PM

Post #4291976

He has always knocked my socks off...and your article did justice to the beauty of his creations. I am humbled and grateful. Thank you.

Yokwe my friend ☺
Shari

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2007
2:38 AM

Post #4292712

OMG Jill, I thought chihuly was going to be some nasty kind of pepper or who knew! WOW! Do they sray installed or can they be moved to a different garden or what happens afterwards? How do you pronounce chihuly? Thank you. xxxx, Carrie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
2:43 AM

Post #4292727

I know the pieces don't remain, but I'm not sure if they're eventually sold privately or where they end up... there are a *lot* of pieces, and many of them are enormous.

Hmm... my best attempt at writing it out the way I've heard it... Chi-HOO-lee

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2007
4:17 AM

Post #4293133

So it's not like the way that Simon and Garfunkel song I heard as a kid about "me and Hoolio" of course turned into "me and Julio" once I put 37 and 59 together. It really is pronounced something like it looks. To me. xxx, Carrie
dryad57
Scottsburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2007
4:35 AM

Post #4293208

What a nice article and great pics! I was lucky enough to see his exhibit both at the Garfield Conservatory in Chicago, and at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Many of the pieces were the same or very similar, but it is extremely interesting to see how he and the staff stage the pieces and to discover them as you go through the Gardens. Very enjoyable article.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2007
4:42 AM

Post #4293233

Unique! I'll have to check and see if this comes to the Krohn Conservatory in Cincinnati. Thanks, Jill!
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

December 17, 2007
6:09 PM

Post #4304240

Hi GGG! Good to see your in here!
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #4559804

Wow! I missed this article before. Glad I found it. We have a couple of his large works in a playhouse near my town. They are really beautiful to see in person, but I imagine that coupled with a garden it is just exquisite!
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 30, 2010
6:40 AM

Post #8070250

I think Chihuly's ambition is to be exhibited in every city in the world! I was introduced to his work at the Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus, O., by my granddaughter, another glass artist.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2010
7:28 AM

Post #8070341

I think you're right -- his team do seem to do a lot of installations! His work pairs especially well with all the plants and natural forms in a conservatory. :-)

Does your granddaughter have a website you could link us to? it would be fun to see what she does!
keferraro
Crown Point, IN

August 30, 2010
2:59 PM

Post #8071103

I was lucky enough be in Pittsburgh and to see this exhibit at the Phipps and it was stunning. I think all plants should be displayed with glass art like this and also all glass artwork should be displayed with plants. Glad this article was rerun as it reminded me of a niced experience.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #8071281

It was fun to see it pop up today!

Thank you.
artemizia08
Rockledge, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 30, 2010
8:47 PM

Post #8071845

Ooo, Chihuly's glass!!! Out of this word!!! I remember his exhibit from Fairchild Garden in Miami few years ago, in every corner of the garden something new, different, breathtaking!!! Still have photos, somewhere, I think )))

Thanks for beautiful pictures, Ms.critterologist!!!
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

August 30, 2010
9:40 PM

Post #8071936

I used to watch 'A Year At Kew' and one episode was devoted to the installation of a spectacular piece of Chihuly glass.
I think the same or very similar sculpture features in the Butterfly garden picture.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8072442

He's got a following all over the world, for sure! We got to see some more of his work at the Bellagio in Las Vegas last spring; what a treat!
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2010
7:56 AM

Post #8072444

critter:
She is an associate at a St. Augustine studio with a gallery at http://www.createglass.com/
Unfortunately the videos on that site and on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcupSHLsucE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCBAa5xTSCY
were taken before she joined the firm.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2010
8:10 AM

Post #8072471

Thanks, Don!
darlindeb
Claremore, OK

September 12, 2010
5:07 PM

Post #8095408

The Oklahoma City Museum of Art has a very large collection of his work. http://www.okcmoa.com/exhibitions/dale-chihuly-the-collection

There is also a link to http://www.chihuly.com

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2010
5:24 PM

Post #8095437

Thanks! I didn't know about the Oklahoma collection.. cool!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 28, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9368957

I have noticed that in the Pacific NW (Chihuly's home), it seems one is either a die-hard fan or the complete opposite. Funny how that is.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9369162

You're right... in some ways, that polarity reminds me of how people feel about Thomas Kinkaide's work... I wonder if commercial success has something to do with people's mixed reactions?

Which camp do you fall into? I'm clearly a fan... :-)
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9369264

We went to the Chihuly museum in Seattle (next to the Space Needle), last summer. It opened last May & was spectacular. There is are indoor & outdoor exhibits there - will be even better once the gardens grow in. I'm definitely a fan!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9369291

Thanks to the fact that I had seen Jill's article originally in 2007, I INSISTED we go to the Dallas Arboretum to see the Chihuly installation there. Wow and wow. Then it was held over and we went back with special tickets to see it again, at night. Even more amazing. Then I looked into the info about Dale Chihouly and learned that he lost an eye in his twenties. Don't you need both eyes for 3-D vision, that you would use for sculpture? Amazing. I'm glad to see this article again; it's lovely to see Jill's descriptions. Many of the pieces look similar, but some are completely new..
lizzipa
Emerald Hills, CA
(Zone 9b)

December 28, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9369385

When we went to the museum in Seattle, there was an explanation that after he lost the eye, he drew his ideas & had his students carry them out. They had his original drawings posted next to the finished product.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9369395

Thanks for your comments!

Carrie, I still wish we'd managed to return before the Phipps exhibit closed, in order to see that installation lit up at night. I'm glad you saw the Dallas one!

That's really neat about including the drawings in the exhibit... it's always interesting to see how art develops. Part of the criticism of him that I've seen is that he doesn't "really" make his own pieces, he has his students execute his designs... so who should sign the piece, Chihuly or the student? I think it's actually pretty amazing that his drawings and teachings can let somebody else create what starts out in his own mind... and when an architect designs a building, his name is on it even though he doesn't pour a single foundation footing. So.
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

December 29, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9369812

I'm not a big fan of glass sculpture in general, so touring Chihuly's 'garden' is not at the top of my list of things to drive into the city for. I see enough of his work in the Sunday paper, which features it often, to appreciate it from a distance. It is pretty, especially when placed with plants, but not my style (many of his pieces resemble an upset stomach to me). So, neutral on Chihuly.

I am definitely not a fan of Kincaide. His work reminds of of what I call 'gag cards' - overly mushy and sentimental greeting cards. Again, just not my style.

I don't resent either artist's success and wish them and their respective fans well. I do agree, as Critter has posed, that the love it or leave it reactions stir up some heated discussions, which can only be good for the artist's ultimate success.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9369930

LOL @ "upset stomach" sculptures. I will say I think you're missing something if you haven't seen his "sea forms" in person, as the light on the pieces just isn't captured as well in any photo. If you're ever in Las Vegas, the lobby ceiling at the Venetian is worth checking out, for the sheer magnitude of the installation. I get nervous getting out the "good" wine glasses, so I can't imagine lifting all those big glass pieces into position!

Thanks for taking the time to read & comment! It's fun when an "old" article can trigger some new discussion.
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

January 1, 2013
12:24 PM

Post #9372454

I think some of his pieces are permanently installed that the Franklin Park Conservatory, where they have a center devoted to him and his work, and materials for use in schools. They also lend some of the pieces that they own to other installations.
But, I am also not a great fan. Just like with Georgia O'Keefe's paintings -- just leaves me cold. Couldn't begin to say why, though. Art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Ultimate in Garden Art: The Chihuly Exhibit at Phipps Conservatory Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Glass art surfcat 3 Feb 12, 2008 9:50 PM
Breathtaking! roxxanne 5 Dec 31, 2012 4:18 PM
Beautifull Glass art in the garden . Blucile 3 Sep 3, 2010 9:47 AM
How beautiful! NanuBunny 1 Aug 30, 2010 1:51 PM
Mardi Gras colors... Gymgirl 5 Aug 31, 2010 7:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America