Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Firewood: Choosing the right wood, splitting, and seasoning: Great article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Firewood: Choosing the right wood, splitting, and seasoning
bookmark
Forum: Article: Firewood: Choosing the right wood, splitting, and seasoningReplies: 6, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
11:42 AM

Post #4290094

Brings to mind my "splitting" days :) I'd wait for a sunny, bright day in winter to walk the path between snow banks and spend a half hour or so splitting firewood. Great exercise when I was younger, although not sure this "old" back could handle it these days - guess it's a good thing I moved south! LOL
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
1:05 PM

Post #4290215

An old cherry tree had to come down years ago. You're right about it! May not be the hottest burning hardwood, but the smell is just wonderful.

Thanks for writing about this "hot" topic :)

Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
5:29 PM

Post #4291076

Thanks for the helpful article.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #4291152

I'm glad you all liked the article- I sure learned a lot writing it!
Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 14, 2007
1:20 AM

Post #4292380

Ahhh, how I could have used this info back in Denver! Out here on Kwaj, we certainly don't have fireplaces, but I still enjoyed reading your info-packed article. Stay safe and warm, and cuddle in the warmth of the fire - I will envision you there when reading your posts and articles for the next little while.

Thanks!
Shari

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #4292675

Firewood is supposed to warm you twice, right? Once while you cut it and once when you burn it?

Anyway, I'd like to reiterate all the safety issues Susanne mentioned above. I know someone who cut off the very tip of his left forefinger 10 or 15 years ago because he wasn't wearing gloves. At the time he was unimpressed by his new, shorter finger. Now he's had a stroke, is paralyzed on the right side, and needs every millimeter of his left side he can come up with.

So, be careful, folks, and stay warm! xx, Carrie

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 9:32 PM
bookworm28
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 5, 2010
3:51 AM

Post #7429246

A warm fire place and some crackling logs - sounds really good even down here in Houston! It's going to be COLD here in the coming week - yes I know the term "cold" is relative!. Great article, and I wish you some great marshmallow roasting!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Firewood: Choosing the right wood, splitting, and seasoning Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
firewood bandannablue 0 Jan 4, 2010 12:13 PM
Please do not transport your firewood. Meehlticket 0 Jan 4, 2010 12:41 PM
pines for firewood ppH 1 Jan 5, 2010 2:06 AM
Against wood burning fireplaces LydiaLaa 7 Jan 16, 2012 8:24 AM
Best Firewood tcyk 1 Jan 5, 2010 2:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America