New Home In Kentucky, Christmas

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

170 posts is too much. We will continue on here.
Have a Great Christmas season!
Bernie

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

wow! I didn't realize it was so busy over there :0)

Hey Lana,
Big hugs and thanks for the birthday wishes for Sally. I wish you could have heard the "awww's" over the computer over your cute little bunnies! She loved both pictures, also our favorite kind of cats are calico's and your bunny reminded us very much of calicos! Too cute.

Christmas is right around the corner gang...you know what that means? The annual hanging of the Christmas turkey from the rafters!! Woohoo! This year I'll be smarter than the average bear...I'm gonna get that turkey hung out a next week so it can thaw out in time for Christmas dinner!!!

Reports are getting thick about snow this Saturday...we're getting excited!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

You can roast a turkey even if it is still icy inside - but it's too fun seeing your hanging turkey. LOL!

Does Sally approve of Sallymander, still?

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Huh? Hanging a turkey from where??? I missed that tradition...LOL

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

yes, Kimberly, Sallymander is fine :0)

KyWoods,
Last year in all of our confusion and adapting to a colder climate, we ended up having to hang our frozen turkey from the rafters of the shed to defrost it enough to cook..lol. Back home in Louisiana, defrosting a turkey was simple..here..well, we found it to be a challenge. The shed doors didn't close tight because we didn't have cement yet and critters would come inside the shed at night, raiding what ever food there was to raid...So we hung our turkey to defrost. It took forever to defrost!! When it finally did, I think it was a week later. We roasted the bird on my George Foreman rotisserie..outside...in the dirt...in cold...

What a difference a year makes!!

Thumbnail by justmeLisa
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL Great photo! Looks like a Butterball, which is what we always get--yummy!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

What a difference a year makes is right! Y'all have come so far - what a delight to the heart :)

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL, want me to send Sally a bunny to KY? I know you need one more critter to take care of ;)

Kim, I haven't been able to keep up with the posts on ORVG which is why I haven't posted. I am trying to read them so I can get caught up. Think I'm just one thread behind right now LOL.

Lana

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Don't worry about getting caught up! I don't. LOL We've had new folks come in and they're brand spankin' new. DOn't sweat it.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

no! Lana..no bunnies :0)...we'll admire them from my computer desk!!

yes, Dea,
It is a delight! I'm so thankful! If it wasn't for that family who blessed us with this sweet home...gulp....I'd still be having misadventures in the camper!! It is so nice to have a warm bathroom with a huge bathtub...that camper bathroom would always be so cold!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

That new tub must seem like it's the size of a swimming pool after using that camper tub! :)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

ha, what camper tub..I used a rubbermaid container :0)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, we couldn't use such a tote! LOL You, my diminutive friend, could drown in one. ;)

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, I could probably get into one--but you'd have to cut me out of it
ֿ
...O

Hey, Lisa, my Mom just talked to my aunt in New Orleans--it's in the 80's down there!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe...welp, I USED to spending time soaking in a tub but nowadays find it somewhat difficult due to size. (Can't figger out if it is the size of the tub or the size of me!)

Lisa, et al, we're all happy (and relieved) that this Winter will be such a wonderful thing for you as compared to last year. You've paid your dues "homesteading" and have learned to appreciate what you have, what you need, and what you don't need! Yay! (You definitely NEED a nice tub, warm bathroom, hot water, and room to move!)

Happy Day to ya!
Shoe

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

What an adorable picture! Is that the young Shoe??

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yes'm, that's me! I think I had just finished shaving and wanted someone to see me nice and clean(shaven) so asked them to take my picture!

Shoe

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Ya ain't no tellatubbie :) Shoe in a pot, well shut my pie-hole!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

hee, hee..I love that picture..
lookit Dea, sounding like Shoe ...now that IS funny...!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Scary, eh? LOL :)

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hah! Grinnin' big time here! Then ends of my smile are rubbing my ear lobes, grinnin' so big! Dea, ya got 'the talk' down pat!

Sure made my day! Thanks.

Happy Day to All!

Shoe

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

KyWoods
We have WWL on our computer and listen to it every morning just to feel like we are still in touch with home. I also read the Houma Courier everyday to stay in touch with things "down da biya". My cousin, Jerry Larpenter, didn't win his bid for parish president. I was disappointed. I think he would've done a good job. He was a very good sherriff for a looong time.

Lisa
So glad you will be having an easier Christmas this year. But your memories of last year with all the hardships and each small victory will be with you long after the other years fade. We won't be getting to go home for Christmas like we planned. Too much work left to do getting the horses and all the hay moved to the new barn before the end of the month. The rent is up then and we don't want to pay another month there. 8 of the 11 horses are moved and the other 3 should go this week. But we still have over 200 bales of hay to move.

How are all your critters doing? Especially the box turtles. Are they hibernating? mine seem to be in semi hibernation. How should they be acting right now?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Now, Shoe, did ya make any bubbles of your own in that bucket? Somehow, I think you did, and you got a mighty big kick out of 'em.

Crossville, TN

That picture of Shoe bathing is just sooooo precious...as is he!! Jo

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

CajuninKy,
I too still read the Houma paper everyday and also WWL tv. I am amazed at the crime rate in Houma..so much has changed in such a short time. I also think Larpenter would have been a good parish pres. too bad he lost.

My turtles are semi hibernating also. They stopped eating altogether, one has gone underground while the other has been taking long soaking baths. I noticed that right before the other one went underground he soaked for days. I read where they do that to purge their intestines..it is not good for them to hibernate with full intestines! The rest of the critters are all doing fine, I wish I had some of your hay! We were in such a drought over the summer that hay is very scarce. I don't have any and my pasture is slowly fading. We have been having rain now for days...I had to put straw down in my goat hutch to keep them dry. I wish we could have finished our new goat quarters, but the money went to move our trailer instead, so the goats & dogs will have to spend another winter in their makeshift quarters.

I will not be going home for Christmas either...I missed my only chance to go this weekend. Our friends from church were traveling back that way, but I couldn't ride with them as I hoped. They only go as far as Hammond and I couldn't get anyone to come get me there..all of my friends had Christmas things going on. I was apprehensive about going this weekend anyway, due to the severe weather that might hit here. I hate leaving Jesse in charge of the critters when bad weather is going on..the work load is doubled. I have to turn off the song "I'll be home for Christmas" when I hear it..I get a lump in my throat, my thoughts turn to my sweet little mom's face. As long as I don't think about it I'm okay :0) . I am very thankful for the elderly lady across the street from us, she fills my mom void...also Melody's mom has a special place in my heart. I feel a bond with her as well.

Nothing much going on today..just watching the buckets of rain fall. Our ponds are overflowing with water..we haven't seen that since we moved here!

have a good day everyone!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Lisa,

Sorry you won't get to go home. We were looking forward to it but it can't be helped. We hope to get down in January. We have all the horses moved but not much of the hay. We also have to finish the chicken coop so we can move the egg machines. LOL

We are so enjoying the new barn. All the horses are inside out of the weather and the mud. The well and pumphouse are inside the barn so we won't have to slop and slip around in muddy ice water carrying buckets of water over 7 acres. It was miserable. Now I just pull the 50ft section of garden hose from stall to stall. God is so good. I love just working at the barn all day. I hate to leave in the evenings. I'll be so glad when we get the living quarters put in so we can stay there. We have big plans! LOL

My bigger turtle never comes out from under her log. The little one eats a little once in a while (I offer something every few days) and then sleeps in the water. I'm so glad you told me about the water thing. I was afraid something was wrong with my little girl. I have nursed her through eye problems and mouth rot. She is doing well now and likes to have her head and chin rubbed. We named them Tortue and Kawain. LOL

What are you having to pay for hay there? It is going for upwards of $10 a bale if you can find it, here. We were so blessed to get as much as we did for the price we paid. It should last us into Spring. We will have to hay year around as we don't have any pasture now but we don't mind. We will have plenty of room in the barn loft to store more than a year's worth at a time. We'll restock in spring at the first cutting. It's always the best.

Speaking of straw. I had to buy a bale for the dogs last week and it was $7.50. I nearly fell out. But it's keeping the boys warm. It was 19 degrees here this morning. Thankfully it's not rained in a couple of days. Your goats and dogs should do fine as long as they have a warm, dry bed out of the wind. Feed the goats a bit of extra corn before bed and it will help keep them warm.

Do you have rabbits? I want to get some this spring. Just a couple of does and a buck. I want to raise them for the table. I really like rabbit and it is healthy.

This is a pic of my puppy, Cowboy. He is coming onto 10 months now. He will make a good barn dog. His mom is a boxer / bull mastiff cross. His dad was passin' through. LOL He's a good boy. Loves to chew things up. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how he gets a hold of so much stuff on that 20ft. cable. :0

This message was edited Dec 18, 2007 8:57 PM

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Your barn sounds lovely, I can't wait until we get things done around here! I hear that hay is going to go for 10.00 a bale very soon. We've also gotten down to the upper teens one night..my pond has been frozen for the past couple of mornings.

I don't have any rabbits, I did bring one with the move, but it died right after we got here. I don't think I want any for a while. Tame rabbit is very good, I used to have a neighbor back in Louisiana that raised them for the table, every now and then he'd bring us one.

I like your pup! One of my friends Great Dane is expecting a litter, she told me she is bringing me one..I told her I need another dog like I need another cat..lol. Hubby says "NO". I'm not heartbroken, I'm pretty filled up on the critter population front.

Take care and I hope you get to go "home" in January.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I had a Dane once. Got stolen off the front porch when the guard dog went galavanting. She was just a pup. They are not long lived and their size causes other problems as well. Joint problems top the list. A Dane is a Sr. citizen at 9. That is sad. They are a majestic dog. Originally bred to catch wild boar.

Sorry about your rabbit. Do you think it was the move. They tend to stress easily. Heat is bad for them.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

good morning cajun,
I was ready for the rabbit to "go"..I wasn't tore up about it departing...I think the stress of the move did it. I don't think the heat did him in because it was hotter back home. I used to freeze 2 liter bottles of water and leave it on the ground where the bunny could rest next to it on hot days.

My friend told me Danes don't live all that long, pity..as you said, they are so majestic. I didn't know that they were bred to catch wild boars though! Interesting fact. Her male is beautiful, he is a blue merle and the female is a harlequin. They are going to be good looking pups.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I like the solid blacks and blues.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I saw the cutest Dane pup on YouTube...Check this little guy out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0OTIGSB090&feature=related

and this one made us laugh out loud. Thank God Emma's not a BIG dog, the way she's a bed hog...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-fMOJCuYHs&feature=related

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Oooo, that does sound like a beautiful combination for those puppies! I love both the harlequin and the blue merle. I do hate that the bigger the breed, the shorter the lifespan--not fair.
Lisa, I don't think I've ever eaten rabbit. My mother says that her mother used to cook it, and it was good. My grampa was a hunter, so she's probably tasted about everything from Louisiana. Oh, and my Dad said he knows exactly where the town is that you're from.

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

One of my rabbits is about to hit the pot. He's been a bad boy and bitten me 5 times and tried a couple others. He doesn't just bite he attacks for no apparent reason. Other than that he's a sweetie pie but I'm tired of getting bitten. I'll be treating his pelt so I can start keeping fur.

Lana

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Too bad about the buns. Does he have nasty, big, pointy teeth? I wonder if he's related to the Rabbit of Caerbannog...

My apologies to anyone unfamiliar with Monty Python... ;)

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

Bunzilla??

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Kinda! Here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_of_Caerbannog

Melbourne, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL It's been so long since I've seen that movie, I forgot all about that! We had a rabbit like that at the pet store where I worked. Funny, how we think of them as being sweet and innocent, warm and fuzzy, but I guess they have their freaks, just like the humans.
One of my nicknames for our temperamental lhasa apso, whose name is HoneyPup, is "Attila the Hun". You could also call the rabbit "Attila the Bun". Oh, there is sooo much silliness we could come up with!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

LOL! He is definately Attila the Bun! Kimberly, I don't know about his teeth being pointy but they do tear you up real good :(

Lana

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I would have changed his name to "stew"art after the second bite. LOL

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

I've told dh that I'm ready for him to be slaughtered so he should be in the pot sometime this week. Mmmm, rabbit and dumplins :~p

Lana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images