Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Holiday Note on Edible Plants: Eating Tulips!

Communities > Forums > Article: Holiday Note on Edible Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Holiday Note on Edible PlantsReplies: 6, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
4:05 PM

Post #4294179

I had no idea they were edible. Now I have something else to look forward to in spring. Thank you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #4294205

Wonderful article! I knew about some of the others, but I had no idea about tulips either! If you get flowers at the florist, you might want to be sure they haven't been sprayed with chemicals you might prefer not to consume, although flowers might well be just as safe to buy and eat as lettuce! Hmm, another reason to force some Easter tulips... :-)
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 14, 2007
4:28 PM

Post #4294254

Thanks for an interesting article! I worked for an artist in NYC that painted flowers, mostly, and came up with a dish - "Pasta Primaflora" - using many of the flowers you mentioned as a topping for cooked spaghetti with a little olive oil.

In the eating weeds department, I learned that the fresh, green tips of Green Briar (Smilax sp.) are edible and have a taste similar to asparagus. I often snap off a tip and munch on it while gardening. It is sort of in the philosophy of, "If you can't beat them, eat them," because it is a weed I will never be able to eradicate.

Jeremy
debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 14, 2007
5:25 PM

Post #4294442

Great article Larry!
I've seen flowers in the produce section of some grocery stores..

You gave some terrific examples of how to use flowers in food. Here is another one I have experimented, and it actually had a good flavor, surprisingly not like spraying perfume in the mouth.
Sambac Jasmine http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/htop_1143726276_829.jpg

I use the nutty flavored Jasmine Rice as a different kind to go with certain foods, and it made sense. One day I had cooked up a nice pot of Great Northern Beans, for a pot luck with the family, and decided to throw a handful of the blooms in the pot at the end... Wow! what a hit that was... It added just the right somethin somethin, and some of them float on the top very nicely.

G Northern Beans
salt water to taste
1 Lg onion chopped and browned a bit in separate lightly oiled pan
2-3 strips of crispy drained and chopped bacon
2 fresh tomatoes peeled and chopped
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
handful or so of whole sambac jasmine blooms, (or any other edible flower ya like)

vegetarians and koshers can leave out the bacon, of course.

debnes

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2007
7:24 PM

Post #4294742

Informative article, learned new stuff! thanks.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

December 14, 2007
10:17 PM

Post #4295159

Yes indeed nice article! I too, did not know about tulips!!

Islandshari
Kwajalein
Marshall Islands
(Zone 11)

December 15, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4295627

Larry, what a great article giving us more reasons to look forward to spring. I like to sprinkle flowers on my table before sitting down to eat, and wouldn't ya know it, one little'un or another always ends up with a petal in their mouths. Nice to know which one's I can happily sprinkle with no ill affects.

Many thanks for a great read.

Yokwe,
Shari

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Holiday Note on Edible Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Author's note LarryR 0 Dec 24, 2007 7:48 PM
TREE?? virginiarose 2 Dec 26, 2010 12:07 PM
johnny-jump-ups? aodonnell 2 Dec 17, 2012 6:52 AM
Picture of Poinsettia"Tree" in greenhouse vanessasgram 0 Dec 17, 2012 7:06 AM
Eating tulips ARWadoo 0 Dec 18, 2012 10:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America