Photo by Melody

Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!: No more round slices ...

Communities > Forums > Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!Replies: 23, Views: 131
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
GreenAtHeart
Franklin Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

December 15, 2007
10:42 AM

Post #4296508

Sitting here sleepless with ears listening to Old Time Radio Christmas stories on satellite radio and eyes reading about cranberries - a staple at every Holiday dinner as far back as I remember. In the "olden" times, the only cranberries on the table were perfectly round slices with lines on the edges (from the ridges in the can). Now we go back and forth between cooked and fresh - usually with oranges or tangerines - never thought of nuts but sure will now. Thank you Carrie L. for such a great article!
Louise

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #4296877

Louise,
My daughter's middle name is Louise! Yep, those "olden" times didn't start until Ocean Spray had convinced US eaters that they needed to eat cranberries even if they didn't live near a bog. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is a good thing. As for the nuts, you might make stuffing that didn't come out of a bag, just to be fancy, right? Anyway, mix it up a little, hmmm?
x,Carrie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 15, 2007
4:07 PM

Post #4297187

Cranberries are among my very favorite foods and can't imagine living a life without them. I cook them as you pointed out for holidays, but the rest of the year, I pull them out of the deep freeze.

Someone had told me to freeze cranberries to lay them individually (or sliced) on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer until they are frozen. Then, put them in zip lock bags to use whenever one wishes. I love to freeze sliced ones to add to cereal all year around.

Thanks so much for a wonderful and fun article.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
5:27 PM

Post #4297445

What surprisesd me in your article is that the less ripe (white) ones are sweeter
than the ripe (red) ones. Did I read that correctly?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2007
6:42 PM

Post #4297682

Great article, Carrie.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2007
6:50 PM

Post #4297697

That's what I read from the Ocean Spray site. When they are unripe, they are only sweet. When they are ripe, they are sweet and tart. Try here.
http://oceanspray.org/products/white_cranberry_juice_drinks.aspx
I just love them. x, C

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 15, 2007
7:31 PM

Post #4297812

So interesting! I enjoyed your article Carrie.
Tam

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2007
8:33 PM

Post #4297955

Thanks, Tam. x, C
soapwort243
South Milwaukee, WI

December 16, 2007
3:13 AM

Post #4299220

My very favorite way to eat cranberries is finely chopped, with grated orange and peeling and some sugar !! So delicious !!! (To think I used to eat the cooked ones)
-Thanks for the interesting article.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #4299277

oh! good idea with chopped cranberries with grated orange, peeling and lots of splenda!
I like sugar better *lol*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4299281

Yum yum. I like them all ways, and if I have to stoop to eating the quivering molded kind, then I do. Cranberries in the stuffing? Yes! Cranberry apple pie? Go for it. xx, Carrie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
3:34 AM

Post #4299289

I am getting the best ideas! How could anything be bad with cranberries!
dellrose
The Ozarks, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 16, 2007
4:34 AM

Post #4299437

I enjoyed your article Carrie. I had forgotten about cranberries and oranges. I used to make it all the time and will again this coming holiday!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2007
3:15 PM

Post #4300241

I wonder why cranberries - from New England (and other northern places she admits grudgingly) should go so well with oranges, which are from Florida, California, and other NON-northern places? Because they definitely DO go together, perfectly. Like poultry and sage. Like Hepburn and Tracy. If anyone knows the answer to this riddle, please post here! xx, Carrie
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 16, 2007
10:11 PM

Post #4301423

I'm waiting to hear like everyone else*lol*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 16, 2007
10:48 PM

Post #4301546

me too! (tapping foot.)
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2007
3:51 AM

Post #4302718

Quoting:I wonder why cranberries - from New England (and other northern places she admits grudgingly) should go so well with oranges, which are from Florida, California, and other NON-northern places? Because they definitely DO go together, perfectly. Like poultry and sage. Like Hepburn and Tracy. If anyone knows the answer to this riddle, please post here! xx, Carrie

Well, remember that opposites attract!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2007
1:30 PM

Post #4303411

Excellent point! x, Carrie
Tortured_Muse
Youngsville, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #7303832

What a wonderful article. I love your style, Carrie. The topic was of particular interest to me today because I am going to the store to procure the last of the supplies for Thanksgiving dinner. It reminded me to pick up a few bags of the little gems! For years I hated the slimy, cranberry 'sauce' in a can. Then I was introduced to what one particular store called their "Gourmet Cranberry Salad". It had cranberries (whole cooked), walnuts, I believe some celery very finely sliced, and a hint of orange, from I know not where. (Juice? Some finely grated zest?) I was in heaven, and fell in love with the little berries. I love making the salad at the holidays.

Thanks, Carrie, for a well written and delicious article!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2009
12:06 AM

Post #7304033

You're entirely welcome - I love to hear about cranberry fans! Thanks for your kind comment!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2009
2:58 AM

Post #7304568

Okay!!!! I am convince!!! I will try the fresh ones.
But understand everybody I love the can stuff! They better be just as good as the can stuff.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 24, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7306307

They'll be DIFFERENT, but they'll be wonderful! Let us know.
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

November 25, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #7308432

Nice article, Carrie!
I LOVE cranberries. Think I'll experiment with using the fresh orange and cranberry jam as a filling in a cake sometime. Might be good with either chocolate or a white cake. Like raspberries only with a little more zip!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 25, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #7309962

Ooooh, what a clever idea, jazzy! Depending on how much sugar you use and how tart the oranges are, the relish/jam can be sweet-tangy or pucker-up-tart, so taste it or use a VERY sweet cake -- and please let us know! Thanks for the great suggestion.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adding Cranberries to my grocery list! rcn48 6 Dec 17, 2007 1:24 AM
Hey phicks 26 Dec 16, 2007 11:28 PM
Cranberry relish - year around birder17 13 Nov 25, 2009 12:58 AM
We LOVE Cranberries all year 'round! Aunt_A 3 Mar 23, 2008 7:59 PM
I must try this, one day! NEILMUIR1 1 Nov 24, 2009 12:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America