Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bromeliads: Flowers & bananas

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 1, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anaid
San Antonio, TX

December 17, 2007
7:04 AM

Post #4303137

I think I read in one of these postings that in order to get a brom to flower u need to put it in a plastic bag with rotted bananas. Did I read it or dream it? 2nd: If it's true can someone gimme more specifics like, do I just put the banana in the bag with the plant or do I peel it and put it in the dirt the brom is in, mix it in the dirt or ??

I really appreciate any input...
digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #4313015

Ripening apples (and other fruit) give off Ethylene gas. In Bromeliads this can trigger the growing meristem to "convert" from a growing point to a blooming point. Ethylene plays a very interesting role in plants, having all kinds of effects.

Many ripe fruits give off the gas and apples are most often used. You have to allow the gas to reach the meristem at the growing point deep in the rosette, i.e empty the rosette of water first.) Of course, the plant needs to be reasonably mature and healthy.

One can buy pellets that will produce ethylene when put in a rosette of water and blooming usually happens within 4-6 weeks. My own stock of these are too old and I'm looking for new sources.

Most Bromeliads will bloom on their own after they reach maturity, but some are shy and take many years without intervention. Most Bromeliads you see for sale in shops will have been chemically treated to bloom

Dave.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America