Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Questions from a newcomer

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 4, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tilly
Cape Canaveral, FL

August 18, 2001
12:42 PM

Post #11066

Had no idea what I was getting into joining this board. Who's going to support me when I don't work because I'm here?? LOL It's a wonderful place. I had NO IDEA there were so many varieties. I am in zone 9.
Newbie Questions are:
Difference between datura and brugmansia
Planting how far apart, full sun, part shade, soil, salt tolerant? (I have sandy soil and salt spray, one block from beach.)
Taking cuttings, harvesting seeds, how to?
Fertilizing?
How to mail seeds, cuttings?

Thanks to all and I will share what I have when I know how to do it. Triple purple, white, pink. I will try to identify names of what I have. On the triple purple, I currently have many small plants growing like a forest. I will also get on the seed exchange. (AFTER work today!!!)

Thanks so much for your help.
Tilly
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2001
12:48 PM

Post #112244

Hi Tilly and welcome to Dave's. First suggestion is to get a pad for your chair:)
Here is a great site that gives a lot of info you asked.
http://home.att.net/~perennials/brugpics.html

Daturas are short lived perennials up to 3 years. Brugmansia can live up to 70 years. Daturas open pointing up and brugs open pointing down.

You'll do great and I'm really interested in your pink one. Is it a datura or brug? You'll find a lot in the brug - datura contest forum, there are pictures galore.

Glad to have you here:)
Tilly
Cape Canaveral, FL

August 18, 2001
8:00 PM

Post #112428

Ohmigosh! I need a padded room!! The padded chair is in place. Thanks for the above link. Dreaming now about where to put what. Hibiscus have been my long time favorite, but brugs catching up fast.
Tilly
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2001
11:38 PM

Post #112499

it's a fever!!! I'm very addicted after just a couple of months. Good to have another addict in the room:)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America