-
AuthorContent
moretz
hickory, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2007
9:51 PM

Post #4304767

why is my fridge leaking form the bottom? i know it is coming from the freezer side but dont know what is wrong,the icemaker was working fine and then it quite working any ideas? do i need a new fridge? plmk and thxs for helping
BackyardZoo
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2007
7:44 PM

Post #4307746

It's likely that you just need to defrost it. Even 'self-defrosting' freezers need to be defrosted occasionally - and sometimes when they do, their defrost cycle overflows the water catch-tray under the fridge.

Try cleaning it out, letting it sit OFF, with the door open for 1/2 hour or so, then turn it back on.

This may even fix your ice maker as sometimes they get frozen up with too much ice (or ice in the wrong places).

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2007
7:51 PM

Post #4307768

moretz, the sensor in my ice maker freezes all the time, and when it does it crushes ice and throws it all over the kitchen. the repair man said replacing the sensor is a waste of money, because a new one would freeze to. to unfreeze it, take the icebin out leave the door open and push the button so the lite is off. while pushing that button, press the ice dispense lever and let run for a few minutes
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 18, 2007
8:00 PM

Post #4307792

There should be a plastic tray that catches the "defrost" water and allows the heat from the compressor to evaporate it under the drain tube.

But you said you have an automatic ice-maker, so perhaps the in-line filter on the supply line needs to be replaced. Also, depending on the age of the refigerator, the plastic tubing that supplies water to the ice-maker has dried and cracked.

We have a 1979 Whirlpool Serva-door that recently started leaking. The water flow for the ice-maker and the water dispenser in the door was very slow to non-existant. I replaced the filter, which restored the flow to normal, but then noticed that every time we used the water dispenser, we flooded the floor. Found the old tubing was cracked in several places. Turned off the water supply, drained the line, and replaced the bad tubing - good as new now.

Several years ago, the ice-maker quit and the freezer was icing up. An older service tech replaced the defrost timer, and showed me how to do it. He told us that younger technicians would try to sell us a new refigerator instead of diagnosing the solution. Said he was about to retire and wanted us to keep "the old box" running as long as possible, since no-one makes one like we have.
moretz
hickory, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #4307808

ok great thxs so much will check these out but where is the filter located at? plmk and thxs so much for helping will lyk if i can fix it lol

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 18, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #4307824

my filter is in the refridgerator
moretz
hickory, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 18, 2007
8:09 PM

Post #4307826

there is no ice in the freezer part so why would i have to defrost it?where is the sensor? sorry a woman here trying to do a mans job heheh
my hubby has looked at it but if it dont jump out at him then he cant/wont fix it lol
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

December 18, 2007
8:15 PM

Post #4307843

Mine is external between the shutoff valve and the refigerator. It connects the coiled copper tubing to the fitting on the back of the refigerator. Just an in-line filter. The original was a Whirlpool, but I replaced with a GE from Home Depot - it has replacable cartridges, so I can do this annually (easily).
BackyardZoo
Poquoson, VA
(Zone 7b)

December 19, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #4310129

And even if there is no ice visible in the freezer, it is possible that the inner workings of the ice-maker have frozen up - defrosting the whole freezer would fix that (or at least rule it out as a possibility).
moretz
hickory, NC
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #4310997

ok will have to defrost it after the holidays thxs for helping me
scott_lumry
Natchitoches, LA
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2007
9:03 PM

Post #4320189

One other possibility is the gasket that runs around the door of the unit. I have had one of these allow the cooler air from the inside of the unit to come in contact with the moisture laden exterior air and condensation was the end result. It kept us baffled for days. Check and clean the gasket and make sure it is coming in contact with the edge of the unit when the door is closed. Also check to make sure there is nothing inside the unit that is preventing the door from closing completely.

Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Handyman Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Easy "Water Pic" Hole Digger roadrunner 20 Apr 11, 2008 3:43 AM
My rain water harvesting pics Dinu 24 Mar 31, 2009 4:28 PM
a peculiar bookcase (Horseshoe, have a look!!) dpmichael 56 Mar 17, 2007 6:57 PM
concrete stain crestedchik 7 May 30, 2007 4:27 AM
hard to move sliding glass door Janiejoy 10 Jul 9, 2009 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America