Photo by Melody

Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!: Cranberry relish - year around

Communities > Forums > Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!Replies: 17, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4305731

My friend buys enough fresh cranberries and puts up about 24 quarts for the rest of the year. I make cranberry relish and put it up also. A very fast way to make this cranberry relish is with a food processor. I love the relish and want to make up enough for the entire year. Yummm! I also use dried craberries in biscotti, nut bread, scones, yeast breads, cookies, and cereal. They taste like cherries in baked products.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #4306660

how does she put it up? with a canner? or does she freeze or refrigerate it? be careful - dried cranberries can contain a LOT of added sugar! what type do you use? xx, Carrie
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #4315078

She puts them in zip lock baggies. Yes, we both use Splenda. She uses all spenda as her husb. is a diabetic. What kind? hmm. just the kind I buy in a bag from the grocer. "Ocean Spray fresh premium"?? She freezes them.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #4315205

So she uses fresh cranberries, makes fresh relish w/ Splenda then freezes them in ziploc bags. I was eating my (very tart) whole berry sauce for a month on toast with my eggs!

But I was just warning YOU about using sweetened versus unsweetened dried cranberries. I can't quite imagine the unsweetened ones tasting like cherries to me, currants or raisins maybe but not cherries! Then again I usually just eat cherries fresh straight raw uncooked whatever, so I guess i wouldn't know. xx, Carrie
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #4315238

Here's the recipe: 1 bag cranberries, 1 orange, sugar to taste. Calls for 1 cup.
Cut up orange, (peel and all) into chunks. Put in food processor, add cranberries and sugar and process. Can add nuts to the food processor as well. yummm---on eggs and toast!
sherrymarie
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7303425

I think my recipe is the fastest. I wait until fresh cranberries are on sale, after Thanksgiving in the USA. I throw the bags, as is, into the freezer. When I want cranberry sauce I empty one bag of berries into a very large glass bowl. I sprinkle about 1/4 cup of sugar over them. (I like my sauce tart.) I cover it, because it will definitely splatter. Then I microwave it on HIGH for 5 minutes. Stir or mash, depending on how whole you like your berries. Cool and refrigerate. This will keep for MONTHS or until you finish it. :) Enjoy!
fotofashion
Dayton, TX

November 23, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7303592

Hey, where are the apples in your cranberry relish. The recipe (I haven't made it in ages) I had calls for apples, too.
Beverly A.
maggiemudpie
Golden Gate, IL

November 23, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7303854

For seventy years this has been on our THANKSGIVING and CHRISTMAS table. Hope you like it.
cranberry salad
1 bag cranberries
2 apples 2 oranges 2 cups sugar
2 boxes red raspberry jello or cherry
grind cranberries and fruit also one half orange peel
mix well with sugar and nuts
using 3 cups water set jello half time
add fruit mixture and finish setting jello

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #7304059

I love you folks sharing recipes! I've never tried cranberry relish with apples; I also like things tart, and I worry that the apples would cut the tartness too much, but hey, it's worth a try next time. Thank you all for writing.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #7304543

Well heck!
I am having our Thanksgiving on Sat. because my daughter is a nurse and will be working then. Also I have invited the lost and lonely new neighbors. Both bred, born and raised in Mass. They for some reason thought they would move to Ky and live in a log cabin. Log cabins are rare, really! It is a very nice cabin full of polished wood. But anyway like I said they are coming too.

So, will it insult them if I just open the can from the store put it on a pretty relish dish and forget it???

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #7304686

Another thing to do with fresh Cranberries is this: Sharing this from memory only...

--Wash, sort and dry Cranberries.
--Whip a couple of egg whites until soft peaks
--Roll whole Cranberries in the egg-whites and then in powdered sugar.
--Freeze in a single layer--then you can bag them.

SO yummy to eat. The tart--balanced with the sweet. I bet kids would love them too as snacks.

Gita

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #7306327

L A, even in Massachusetts, canned cranberry sauce sells quite briskly - way more than the fresh. They can't possibly be offended. Even whole berry in the can isn't as popular as good old jellied!

And Gita, what a super idea! Thank you!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7306511

Thanks carrielamont, I appreciate that bit of information, things are hectic enough right now as it is!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7307296

^_^
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 5, 2014
5:41 AM

Post #9984842

I made my first relish after having some from my D I L s mother . Learned it was her "signature dish " for the holidays (mine is pecan pie ) .I put the excess in small 1 cup containers in the freezer . Drug one out that I made last year and it was like fresh made . Oh , a bite of that with a bite of leftover Thanksgiving ham was the best snack ever . I'm stocking up on fresh cranberries so I can have it all year . I buy 150# of pecans each year to keep my son and family in pies and will add some to the next batch of cranberries . It takes a month to crack and shell those pecans so now I will be adding even more goodies for my own table . Thank you Carrielamont .
P S , another D G'er adds mint to hers .

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 5, 2014
9:53 AM

Post #9984993

You can freeze the whole berries, don't forget.

Thanks for your comment.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 5, 2014
7:17 PM

Post #9985216

I bought five bags today , and will add to that . My neighbor has an orange tree in his yard so I'll beg him out of a few . Has anyone ever eaten a pineapple orange ? I have two on my little tree this year and hope for more next year . I saw a tree in town behind an abandoned building . Maybe I can get enough for orange marmalade . I have to make it by the case in pints to keep up with the kids .
Yes , they are in the freezer . I'll make a large batch all at once when I get stocked up .
Finished up the ham ,some in freezer , and looks like beans tomorrow .

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 6, 2014
2:12 PM

Post #9985560

Yum. I love ham-and-beans. OTOH, I made split pea soup with a ham bone one year (over a few days...) and my step-daughter cannot look at ham anymore. (My bad.)

You can add (the frozen cranberries) whole to muffins and quick breads. Enjoy!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adding Cranberries to my grocery list! rcn48 6 Dec 17, 2007 1:24 AM
No more round slices ... GreenAtHeart 25 Nov 30, 2014 9:52 AM
Hey phicks 26 Dec 16, 2007 11:28 PM
We LOVE Cranberries all year 'round! Aunt_A 3 Mar 23, 2008 7:59 PM
I must try this, one day! NEILMUIR1 1 Nov 24, 2009 12:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America