Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!: Cranberry relish - year around

Communities > Forums > Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more!Replies: 13, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 18, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4305731

My friend buys enough fresh cranberries and puts up about 24 quarts for the rest of the year. I make cranberry relish and put it up also. A very fast way to make this cranberry relish is with a food processor. I love the relish and want to make up enough for the entire year. Yummm! I also use dried craberries in biscotti, nut bread, scones, yeast breads, cookies, and cereal. They taste like cherries in baked products.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2007
2:16 PM

Post #4306660

how does she put it up? with a canner? or does she freeze or refrigerate it? be careful - dried cranberries can contain a LOT of added sugar! what type do you use? xx, Carrie
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
2:33 AM

Post #4315078

She puts them in zip lock baggies. Yes, we both use Splenda. She uses all spenda as her husb. is a diabetic. What kind? hmm. just the kind I buy in a bag from the grocer. "Ocean Spray fresh premium"?? She freezes them.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
3:03 AM

Post #4315205

So she uses fresh cranberries, makes fresh relish w/ Splenda then freezes them in ziploc bags. I was eating my (very tart) whole berry sauce for a month on toast with my eggs!

But I was just warning YOU about using sweetened versus unsweetened dried cranberries. I can't quite imagine the unsweetened ones tasting like cherries to me, currants or raisins maybe but not cherries! Then again I usually just eat cherries fresh straight raw uncooked whatever, so I guess i wouldn't know. xx, Carrie
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #4315238

Here's the recipe: 1 bag cranberries, 1 orange, sugar to taste. Calls for 1 cup.
Cut up orange, (peel and all) into chunks. Put in food processor, add cranberries and sugar and process. Can add nuts to the food processor as well. yummm---on eggs and toast!
sherrymarie
Weatherford, TX
(Zone 7b)

November 23, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #7303425

I think my recipe is the fastest. I wait until fresh cranberries are on sale, after Thanksgiving in the USA. I throw the bags, as is, into the freezer. When I want cranberry sauce I empty one bag of berries into a very large glass bowl. I sprinkle about 1/4 cup of sugar over them. (I like my sauce tart.) I cover it, because it will definitely splatter. Then I microwave it on HIGH for 5 minutes. Stir or mash, depending on how whole you like your berries. Cool and refrigerate. This will keep for MONTHS or until you finish it. :) Enjoy!
fotofashion
Dayton, TX

November 23, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #7303592

Hey, where are the apples in your cranberry relish. The recipe (I haven't made it in ages) I had calls for apples, too.
Beverly A.
maggiemudpie
Golden Gate, IL

November 23, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #7303854

For seventy years this has been on our THANKSGIVING and CHRISTMAS table. Hope you like it.
cranberry salad
1 bag cranberries
2 apples 2 oranges 2 cups sugar
2 boxes red raspberry jello or cherry
grind cranberries and fruit also one half orange peel
mix well with sugar and nuts
using 3 cups water set jello half time
add fruit mixture and finish setting jello

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #7304059

I love you folks sharing recipes! I've never tried cranberry relish with apples; I also like things tart, and I worry that the apples would cut the tartness too much, but hey, it's worth a try next time. Thank you all for writing.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2009
2:51 AM

Post #7304543

Well heck!
I am having our Thanksgiving on Sat. because my daughter is a nurse and will be working then. Also I have invited the lost and lonely new neighbors. Both bred, born and raised in Mass. They for some reason thought they would move to Ky and live in a log cabin. Log cabins are rare, really! It is a very nice cabin full of polished wood. But anyway like I said they are coming too.

So, will it insult them if I just open the can from the store put it on a pretty relish dish and forget it???

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 24, 2009
3:34 AM

Post #7304686

Another thing to do with fresh Cranberries is this: Sharing this from memory only...

--Wash, sort and dry Cranberries.
--Whip a couple of egg whites until soft peaks
--Roll whole Cranberries in the egg-whites and then in powdered sugar.
--Freeze in a single layer--then you can bag them.

SO yummy to eat. The tart--balanced with the sweet. I bet kids would love them too as snacks.

Gita

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #7306327

L A, even in Massachusetts, canned cranberry sauce sells quite briskly - way more than the fresh. They can't possibly be offended. Even whole berry in the can isn't as popular as good old jellied!

And Gita, what a super idea! Thank you!
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

November 24, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #7306511

Thanks carrielamont, I appreciate that bit of information, things are hectic enough right now as it is!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2009
12:58 AM

Post #7307296

^_^

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Beautiful, yummy, and good for you too, cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving any more! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adding Cranberries to my grocery list! rcn48 6 Dec 17, 2007 1:24 AM
No more round slices ... GreenAtHeart 23 Nov 25, 2009 11:58 PM
Hey phicks 26 Dec 16, 2007 11:28 PM
We LOVE Cranberries all year 'round! Aunt_A 3 Mar 23, 2008 7:59 PM
I must try this, one day! NEILMUIR1 1 Nov 24, 2009 12:16 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America