Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Winter Sowing: Where the seeds are going . . .

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 39, Views: 504
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #4308848

Here are my rough drafts for the gardens for the terrace on our street. This first sketch shows the generally plan. The centre is a fountain. Around the fountain are four gardens. Each is 12 feet deep, and separated from the others by 4 foot wide paths that lead to the fountain.

Each garden is centred on a compass point. The east garden represents "dawn" - all the colours are soft pinks, pale yellows, soft blues, light greens.

The south garden represents "noon" - all the colours are bright blues, oranges, and yellows

The west garden represents "sunset" - all the colours are magentas, purples, mauves, hot pinks, reds

The north garden represents "midnight" - all the colours are dark blue and white (for stars and the moon!)

Thumbnail by Seandor
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
2:06 AM

Post #4308864

Here is a more detailed sketch of the south garden

Here is the south garden. I am definitely open to suggestions - as long as they don't cost money! There isn't any!
The garden includes: Hardy Hisbiscus - yellow, Larkspur genation blue, cornflowers - blue, California poppies - apricot flambeau, Balloon flowers dwarf blue and tall blue, cosmos - tall orange, calendula - yellow and orange, marigold - crackerjack , venedum - orange and yellow, butterfly bush - blue, gailardia - fanfare, Amazon sun, Goblin, Yarrow - summer berries, also, irises (orange and blue) daylilies - stella d'oro, and oriental poppies - orange.

also apricot and orange profusion zinnias. and Russian sage, and rudebeckia, and would love to have echinacea "sundown" maybe four oclocks - yellow

Anyway, thanks to DG members, have seeds for just about everything I need - (well not the Rujssian sage!)

This message was edited Dec 18, 2007 9:25 PM

This message was edited Dec 18, 2007 9:26 PM

Thumbnail by Seandor

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
2:09 AM

Post #4308877

Here is the east garden: (upper right hand corner)

don't have a list detailing the plants: here is what I was thinking: pink malva, weigelia - varigated (already have), Agastache 'Golden Jubilee, dianthus Helen, Daylily Happy Returns, annual lupin - Sunrise, I would like echinacea Sunrise - but, probably will settle for dahlia Kevin Limelight - 'cause I already have those.
Aster - Wonder of Staffa. Also maybe shell pink balloon flower, catmint blue wonder. Also pastel coloured zinnias.

Thumbnail by Seandor

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
2:14 AM

Post #4308898

The south garden is the lower right one.

The south garden:
Wegeilia Wine and Roses, Malva mystic merlin, lavender Hicote, echincea Twilight, day lily Always Afternoon (well - I only have two - but someday I will have six!) Veronica Sunny Boy Blue, Hardy Geranium - majenta, Rose Campion, Minature Penstemon, maiden pinks - red, zinnia - purple prince, red hibiscus - plus purple asters, etc.

Thumbnail by Seandor

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #4308936

The north garden - no detailed sketch yet. I am thinking false blue indigo against the fountain fence, with white hardy hibiscus -"Blue Moon II" in front. Dark blue columbine with white columbine, white swan echinacea, Veronica Sunny Boy Blue, white profusion zinnia, white balloon flowers, white malva, dark delphinium. And I would like to grow a clemantis - venosa violacea - dark blue with a white stripe on each petal - just like a star - anyway, I want to grow this along the ground at the front of the garden.

As you can see - I need more dark blue flower ideas .

Anyway - I think it will take three years before it looks complete :-)
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
2:59 AM

Post #4309042

Wow, what organization and planning. This sure is a far stretch from my jungle plunk-and-run mentality. I just stick a flower, any old flower, wherever I can see a patch of dirt.

It'll be beautiful.

Karen
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4309116

Thanks kqcna :-) Well, those are the plans - we'll see how far we get :-)
Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2007
8:48 AM

Post #4309592

Holy Cow! You told me a little about it, but I never dreamt it was TWELVE feet deep! That will be quite beautiful when it's complete!

The drawings are especially pretty - I could never do that in a million years!

Congratulations on Phase I, and keep us apprised as you go along!

Suzy

P.S. Karen, You are a liar! I've seen pictures of your place and it's gorgeous!

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #4309697

My crystal ball tells me there's going to be lots of plant shuffling around here - I can hear a mighty chorus of trowels and shovels hitting the dirt as soon as it thaws already! I love what you're doing - it will be unearthly beautiful.

Just wanted to join the Applause & Appreciation Committee for now - will be back for more serious kibbitzing in a few days - if I can control myself. Thanks, Seandor, for a very lovely inspiration.
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #4309751

Is the neighborhood helping you with it? I know they had last year as you shared the pictures. I can't wait to see the finished product. I am very impressed with the organization you are doing too.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
12:39 PM

Post #4309790

wow Seandor, your layouts are so professional...like what you see in gardening magazines :) your ideas sound really nice...maybe you can take before and after photos and keep us posted. Happy planning!

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
12:59 PM

Post #4309842

I was just rereading your garden stations again and personally love your north section: white and BLUE flowers and BLUE in general! A really great blue you might consider is Salvia Black and Blue or Salvia Guaranitica. It is so blue and so beautiful and the hummers love it! Another lovely blue is Triteleia ‘Queen Fabiola’ and/or Spanish Bluebells, Scilla. Chinese Forget-me-knot “blue shower”, Cynoglossum amabile is also a great true blue :)

Happy Holiday's

Thumbnail by wind

garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 19, 2007
2:37 PM

Post #4310103

Seandor~ WOW!! Impressive! Beautiful and thoughtful details in that plan you have...You 're sure you need input or are you available for design consultation? Meet me in the garden, I'll have pecan scones and warm peach butter waiting for you..would that be tea or coffee with the scones? LOL!

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2007
2:39 PM

Post #4310112

wind, beautiful tree
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #4310117

Beautiful, I thought it was computer generated, amazing detail and creative design.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
3:08 PM

Post #4310199

"Plunk and run"

Thumbnail by kqcrna

kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
3:11 PM

Post #4310209

More plunk and run. The melampodium were all volunteers

Thumbnail by kqcrna

jordankittyjo

jordankittyjo
Bessemer, AL
(Zone 8b)

December 19, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #4310228

that's so pretty. is it in your yard, kqcrna
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
3:22 PM

Post #4310244

Yes, my plunk and run flower beds. I'm not organized enough to plan, and don't have the eye for such things. I just plunk stuff in, the only consideration is sun or shade, height IF I know that. If things don't work I always have enough seedlings to yank and replace or transplant.

Karen

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #4310409

seandor and kqcrna are your beds from winter sowed seeds? I'm getting ready for a first winter sowing attempt...got the containers lining up in the room we use for our xmas tree actually...our tree's not up for this year yet~ the tree photo was last years :)

edited typo

This message was edited Dec 19, 2007 11:37 AM
michaeljo
West Norriton, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
5:31 PM

Post #4310568

Inspirational!! Beautiful garden plan -- love the "compass" idea. I usually start with a plan (although not as nicely draw as seandor's) and end up using Karen's plunk-n-run method. My new year resolution is to create a plan and stick to it ... remind me that I made that resolution in May when all my WS seeds begin to sprout. Good luck with that beautiful garden ... we'll need to see lots of pictures when it's finished!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2007
5:43 PM

Post #4310604

Karen, you should write a book called plunk n run gardening, & get rich! I love that term, mine are that way too, trying hard to be more organized with raised beds.
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
5:58 PM

Post #4310667

Wind: those are all wintersown. The only exceptions, I think, are a coreopsis moonbeam and a liriope in the 2nd photo which are older, established plants, from before wintersowing.
All the rest are either WSown or volunteers from wintersown plants the year before.

Karen
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
12:25 AM

Post #4311643

Wind - thank you so much for your suggestions of dark blue flowers. This is a Great Experiment. I expect it will take three or more years to look good - things will be planted that don't work, stuff will be removed, and replaced.

Someone on another thread reminded me that the hibiscus need moist soil while other plants in the same garden need it drier - so I will have to rethink some stuff.

That's what's great with DG - I can run concepts passed you guys and you can clue me in as to what I need to fix - before I make huge mistakes :-).

I have warned the neighbours that this will take at least 3 years. I am winter sowing as many perennials as possible - and will probably have to fill much of the gardens with annuals this spring. The 2nd year we will find out how many of the perennials worked - and how many need to be removed and replaced with something else.

The plans are just concepts. As others have pointed out - there isn't much thought to flowers in all three seasons. I need to figure out how to introduce flowers in the May- July and Sept-November sections. I have seeds for asters and zinnias, marigolds, and snapdragons have a long blooming season.

Also, last year, I received many donated bearded iris (which will have to be relocated) and daylilies (which will be relocated). Once I know their colours, I will place them into the appropriate gardens.

As I explain to my husband, I am trying to create a poem in the landscape - but unlike a literary poem - a garden poem is never finished. :-)

Anyway, I am definitely up for some constructive critiques and suggestions.

Any I am totally open to suggestions.
jadajoy
Newport News, VA
(Zone 11)

December 21, 2007
1:17 AM

Post #4314803

Seandor,
I have also been trying to have some late blooming flowers and found a list in a Time Life book of Perennials. Dont know if these will work in your zone but here are some of them:

Achillea
Hollyhock
Aemone
Butterfly weed
Aster
English Daisey
Poppy Mallow
Clematis
Delphinium
Purple Coneflower
Thistle
Iris
Goldenrod
Foxglove

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #4314842

WOW! Totally awesome! You put a lot of time and thought into your drawings! Your wintersown gardens will look beautiful and will be a botanical work of art.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
2:40 PM

Post #4316341

One of my chief concerns is that these are public gardens - and so I must be careful of poisonous plants. I think foxglove is poisonous - (I have lots in my own gardens).

This year I will be winter sowing LOTS of stuff - but much of it won't be able to be planted out until the fall (you know, perennials . . .)

I am seriously thinking of spending $11.00 to buy 1000 dark blue petunia seeds 'cause I don't know where else to get them. White petunia seeds I can probably pick up anywhere.

So - before I spend the money - does anyone have dark, dark blue petunias? I need dark blue annuals for the north garden this year :-)

On the other hand, if no one has these - anyone interested in dark blue petunias - for sure I can't use 1000 seeds!
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2007
2:53 PM

Post #4316384

Seandor~ be more than willing to share the costs of those dark blue petunias as I have a pink, blue and yellow garden bed and they will fit perfectly.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
3:35 PM

Post #4316492

Cool - wonder if there are any other takers? (hint hint lol)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #4316518

I'll take the hint, I love blue flowers. Count me in.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
3:46 PM

Post #4316526

Actually, the cost is $8.95 + shipping

The name is at least correct - petunia dreams midnight - for a midnight garden :-)

Here is a picture:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/99728/

This message was edited Dec 21, 2007 11:02 AM
garden6
Lansing, KS
(Zone 5b)

December 21, 2007
9:19 PM

Post #4317403

Gorgeous and will be a delightful addition to the garden!!
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2007
12:24 PM

Post #4319102

Just a thought re: the petunias. I've never seen the Laura Bush in person but photos are so pretty. Every report I've seen is that they're wonderful, tough plants that reseed well. I bought a pack of them from Wildseed Farms to try this year. They come in pink and purple.

The waves are pretty but drive me nuts. I think they look messy if not deadheaded. When I grew those I spent my whole summer deadheading and pinching and fussing with them. I'm gonna try the Laura Bush just to see how they do for me.

Here's a link to a GW thread with pics of the Laura Bush.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/wtrsow/msg0719532610522.html

Karen
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #4320326

I *love* this design!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007
6:28 PM

Post #4322211

Thanks wrightie

Currently I am trying to create a schedule for sowing all the seeds :-)

When we lived in Canada, there was a cartoon based on real life. Scientists were amazed to find the a European forest had "spontaneously" rejuevinated itself after more than a century of being clear cut. Turns out a shepherd had been collecting the acorns and nuts of trees for almost half a century and planted about 1000 each year, assuming that maybe 100 might survive. He always selected the best acorns etc. to plant, and always tried to find the best location for each species. Over a life time, this illiterate sheperd restored an entire ecosystem.

So, I figure I have about 25 good years left - I do a little bit each year - expect a 10% success rate - and at the end, we will have a park worthy of the name. Seems like a reasonable way to spend ones life after raising the kids. lol.

so the first year I will focus on annuals, then in the fall start planting the perennials I have winter sowed (and that have survived) - and maybe sometime in the future I will be able to get some shrubs.
wrightie
Metro DC, MD
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
6:32 PM

Post #4322221

"BRAVO!" (or would it be "BRAVA"?)
kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007
6:38 PM

Post #4322236

Seander: Why are you waiting until fall to plant out perennials?

Karen
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007
8:25 PM

Post #4322474

'cause the garden has to be filled with something - and I am concerned the perennials will be too small. If they are large enough, they will go in right away.

I have to have something "presentable" the first year - or the neighbours might not be so supportive.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2008
11:56 AM

Post #4350803

Love what you're doing, Michaela. Can you keep us posted as you tweak the design and work in the gardens next summer?

I found something great on the Salvia and Agastache Forum posted by Rich_Dufresne - color charts :) -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colors
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 2, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #4352945

That is soooo coooool bluespiral! I bookmarked that site immediately!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America