Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Weather: December Daily Weather III, We Came upon a midnight clear.

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 299, Views: 1,967
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
3:28 AM

Post #4309096

Here we go again for thread #3 for this December.
We've had 2 nights of covering our tender perrenials here. I believe many pulled right through.
It's 10PM and ;
53.2 F / 11.8 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 46 F / 8 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 3.1 mph / 4 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers
Here's Christmas at the Toledo Zoo.
(From last Christmas)
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 19, 2007
9:06 AM

Post #4309601

Good morning!

Thanks Sidney :-) That's a very festive photo :-) Glad your plants made it through the frosty spell!

It's raining and its windy . Im starting to sound like a broken record. lol Its 46F, 20 mph gusting to 31 mph from the south, just a light breeze compared to the past week. lol

Thanks Sharon, Marylyn, Adina and marsue.

Marsue the divinity sounds divine . yes, please, if you ever track down the recipe ;-)

Marylyn those littlest pet shop pets are just about the only thing they can think of these days. Selma doesnt want anything else for Christmas! lol Theyre cute but Id have thought shed be too old for them . seems its the latest craze in her class. Are your girls hooked too?

Kiska no actually hes never woken us up . seems hes always been very well behaved at our house ;-) lol. Very cool pic of the vaporized hot water :-)

Kelli thats the best time to get rain . Ive often wished it could be like that here ;-) lol Very beautiful photo. The hills look so naked, its hard to believe the grass will ever turn green, it looks dead. Is it an annual type of grass?

Dyson wonderful news! :-)

Nr. 8 is Skyrgmur.

Unlike Askasleikir wholl eat anything, hes very particular. He likes skyr,(an Icelandic dairy product) and thats about all hell eat. If he finds a skyr container, hell break it open with his fist and gobble it up until its finished or he cant eat anymore. After that he wont be going anywhere in a hurry because hell be unable to move and just whine and grunt and feel very sorry for himself. Hes a real hog ;-) lol

He brought the girls nail polish and lip gloss.

A note about skyr (pron. skir, i like in). Its a very thick yogurt type of product thats practically fat free and rich in protein. If youre ever in New York City and would like to try it, there are a few specialty cheese stores that stock skyr thats produced locally by an Icelander that lives there. The product is called Siggis Skyr.

Now I think Ill go and bake something ;-)

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
10:56 AM

Post #4309665

Sidney Great start picture!
Deb Thanks! Is the elephant ear going to make it?
Kelli Thats funny! Here I was thinking you finally received a lot of rain and, well you did, but you didnt really. Any rain is good at this point. Interesting picture. I amazes me at how dry it is there. I do see some green though. Will the hills be green in the summer?
Ric Our weather changes daily too. They are saying well be in the low seventies heading into Christmas. Im hoping they are wrong!
Rann I had to look up littlest pet shop pets. They are so cute! Do you ever leave a container or ladle lying around for the girls to find when they wake up? Oh look Skyrgmur was here! LOL! Skyr sounds delicious and healthy! Yes, Im going to have to order some Skyr and have it sent to Florida! Ive already started looking it up! LOL!

47.3 F / 8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 44 F / 7 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 4000 ft / 1219 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog early in the morning. High 66. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

All baking is complete. I'll take a day or 2 off then begin the biscotti - that's so easy to make which is the reason I leave it for last.

Sylvester was "helping" me wrap presents last night.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 19, 2007
11:17 AM

Post #4309694

34(F), should get a small amount of precipitation so I checked the level on the gauge for reference, it is currently at 2.4 in.

Reporting Station: KROA
Relative Humidity: 56%
Wind: 0 (N) at 0mph
Gusts: 0mph
Pressure: 30.18in
Yesterday's Precip: in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 22F
Yesterday's High Temp: 46F
Dew Point: 19
Visibility: 10mi
Ceiling: 7000ft
Heat Index: 33
Wind Chill: 33
6hr Precip: in
6hr Low Temp: 34F
6hr High Temp: 40F
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2007
12:07 PM

Post #4309746

Currently: 25F Partly Cloudy
Currently: -3C Partly Cloudy
Wind: South at 5 MPH
Humidity: 85%
Dewpoint: 21F
Barometer: 30.08 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 19F
Wind: South at 8 KPH
Dewpoint: -6C
Barometer: 1018 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: -7 C

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
3:02 PM

Post #4310176

Love that beginning photo, Sydney!
Deb--that EE is so cold it turned blue! LOL
Dyson, I am happy that you have been cleared to go back to work after the first of the year. Enjoy the rest of your "vacation".
Sharon, cats are so nosy! That is such a cute photo!
Rann, my sister has out-of-town company until after Christmas but once things are settled down around her house I will ask her to find the divinity recipe for me. I seem to have misplaced some of my more treasured recipes when we moved last year. I thought I had them on diskettes but couldn't find them when I looked.
I know the little girls are enjoying the nail polish and lip gloss from the latest of the trolls. My g'daughters always have a great time polishing their nails!
Sharon, you are complaining about 70* weather?
Pepper, do you still have snow and ice on the streets up there in KC?
BTW, I couldn't figure out how to send a photo from my email over to this thread. I wanted to show you all the photos from the ice storm that DH's cousin sent us. Can anybody help me with this?

Current conditions as of 7:55 am CST

Fog (Make that FOG in capitol letters--I can hardly see the houses across the street even now at 9 a.m.!!)
Feels Like: 41
Barometer: 30.17 in and steady
Humidity: 99%
Visibility: 0.12 mi
Dewpoint: 41
Wind: Calm
Sunrise: 7:11 am
Sunset: 4:59 pm
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
3:17 PM

Post #4310231

Oh, BTW, here's a little greeting for all of you. Mr. Kodak (Mark) sent this to all of us on the Mid-South Forum and I thought I would pass it along to all of you. :o))

http://badaboo.free.fr/merryxmas.swf
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 19, 2007
3:21 PM

Post #4310241

Well here in Lebanon, OR it is raining started super hard about 2:00AM this morning and it is still going strong.

We really do not NEED any more rain in OREGON...anyone want it we will all gladly do a rain get the heck away dance and send it to you.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

D
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
3:25 PM

Post #4310255

Marsue,
Save her picture to your PC or other "saving device" and then browse to that saving device or for me I save in "My Pictures" and retrieve from there.
Dyson so glad you are on vacation. That means you still have a job.
Here it's;
62.1 F / 16.7 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 64%
Dew Point: 50 F / 10 C
Wind Gust: 2.7 mph / 4 km/h
Pressure: 30.27 in / 1024.9 hPa (Rising)
Lovely day for tying up loose ends.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 19, 2007
3:27 PM

Post #4310260

LOL and welcome D.
;)
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 19, 2007
5:56 PM

Post #4310662

Today
Patchy fog in the morning. Partly cloudy in the morning becoming mostly sunny in the afternoon. Highs 5 below to 5 above zero. Northwest wind to 10 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows 10 below to 20 below zero. Light winds.
Sugarweed, how pretty; looks like a magical place to visit.
Nice seeing what's been happening since last night; it's now 9am;
Sunrise: 10:14 Sunset: 3:32 Loss of 23 seconds.
Will be back later today...
Kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 19, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #4311099

Aweeeeeeee, Sylvester, you are too cute!
Rann, I love your cards !
Sidney, what beautiful lights!
Here are some from our park !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 19, 2007
8:53 PM

Post #4311114

Sharon, my Christmas Cactus has only one bud !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 19, 2007
9:01 PM

Post #4311141

My friends cactus has a million !LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 19, 2007
9:09 PM

Post #4311155

Adina, I love the lights at your park--so pretty! Your friend's cactus is beautiful and at least your cactus is trying to make a bloom in time for Christmas! My cactus has about 2 dozen buds on it but none fully opened yet.
Kiska, just think--only a couple more days and you can start adding minutes to your day instead of taking away. Right?
Sidney, I tried saving the photo but it didn't work. Guess I need to try again. Thanks for the input.
Dee, I think Dyson and Deb would just love to have some of your rain. I am going to try to send them some of mine, too, as we have more rain predicted for tonight and tomorrow.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 19, 2007
11:47 PM

Post #4311566

Sydney: Love those froggy lights! Very cute.
Dyson: Hoping you get some measurable wet stuff.
Sharon: No, my EE won't be back til spring now. The 3-nights freeze did it in (along with my big old Musa). I didn't think it would be possible to wrap presents with a cat in the room! LOL. Hope you get the Christmas temps you want. (Just keep that cold air down there, thank you!)
Marsue: I love that version of White Christmas. I have it on an album somewhere. One of the old Motown groups if I remember. Cute animation - love the 4th reindeer!
Dee: OH yeah! Send it! Start dancin. :)
Adina: The park lights are nice. I love the dangling lights in the trees.
Rann: I thihnk Skyrgamur needs some Pepto! LOL.

Currently 60F and clear...again, but no freeze tonight. Low of 36F predicted.
High on Christmas is expected to be high 60s, but first I'm celebrating the SOLSTICE in only 2 more days!! And even better, we have a 50% chance of rain the same day. Hope springs eternal!'

Lovely sky this morning,
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 20, 2007
12:55 AM

Post #4311711

Well the day before the day before Christmas is now scheduled to be white...
As I said the weather forecast around here changes like the tide...

What was a 28 and snowy Christmas Eve is now ... 39 and Cloudy... lol!
As Sturday is forecast to be 59 ...I just might take my shorts up...

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2007
1:02 AM

Post #4311736

We got some more rain yesterday evening and overnight. Over the two days we got almost an inch of rain.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 19, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
58 F / 14 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 52 F / 11 C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the South

We went to the Arboretum today. Some people were filming there (movie, t.v. show, or commercial) and they had a live lion.

Rann, you asked about the grass. The grasslands out here consist mainly of wild oats and mustard, which are both non-native annuals. There is also a smattering of other native and non-native annuals. They all die out in the summer. In general, if there has been a decent amount of rain, the grasslands turn green in January and stay fairly green into June. Last year was one of the driest years on record so we didn't have much extensive green. Here is a fairly good representative picture taken probably around 1990. This area is a mile or two south of where I was the other day. That box canyon that we walked into is probably just on the other side of the ridge in the background.

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #4311933

Marsue, we still have ice and snow here though it turns into slush during the day and freezes again at night. The main roads are clear and most back roads are somewhat clear. Mine still has icy spots due to heavy shade but only a few. Our parking area at work is still icy and a coworker can't keep his car in place there anymore due to the ice. It slides down a bunch everyday. lol. I told him he needs to learn to park. lol

Currently: 41F Cloudy
Currently: 5C Cloudy
Wind: Southeast at 12 MPH
Humidity: 70%
Dewpoint: 32F
Barometer: 29.92 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 34F
Wind: Southeast at 19 KPH
Humidity: 70%
Dewpoint: 0C
Barometer: 1013 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: 1 C

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2007
1:53 AM

Post #4311934

Love that picture Kelli
;)
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 20, 2007
1:57 AM

Post #4311947

minus 2*F; supposed to get colder tonight.
marsue~~the coming longer days are indeed very near. A turning point and is considered the middle of winter.
rann~~love the photo, showed my DH and he liked it, too. When he asked a few days ago where I want to go for next year's anniversary, I said "Iceland"...kinda took him by surprise, I think:))
Kelli~~what a pretty location; the photo is beautiful; glad you had some rain.
ric~~what a change in the forecast; perhaps they're still wrong and you'll have a white Christmas after all.
Deb~~I too, hope for rain for you and that area~~the sky is gorgeous.
adina~~looks so pretty there at the park; at least your cactus is trying.
pepper23~~wow~~still a mess and more winter to come...
Snowdrifts on a nearby lake today.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
2:12 AM

Post #4311999

Yep, more weather to come and possibly a white Christmas!
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 20, 2007
6:53 AM

Post #4312654

TRust me I wish I could send our rain to all the areas that have drought...we would gladly. We are about 10" over normal to date since 10-1 this year...so you know we have received alot.

Love the Alaska pictures!

I will try to get out if not raining and post a picture of something out there

Hang in there guys.

D

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
11:50 AM

Post #4312808

Mornin' All!
Sidney, Great pic for the thread!
Adina, Love those shots of the park! And your cactus will get more buds, I hope. Your friends' has Many! :D
Kiska, Love the snow drifts! Hopefully we wil have a little of the whits stuff for Christmas! or at least that is the prediction! :D
Kelli, Now that is some green! Gorgeous rolling hills! Nothing like a little rain to green thing up! :D
Pepper, Glad to here that the roads are clearing up...and a white Christmas in store for you! :D
Ric! Shorts! LOL
Deb, Love those Clouds! and such a blue sky! :) Hope you get some rain!
Dyson, What was your total amount the other day? We got 1" & the rain-o-meter is now frozen!
Marsue, Thanks for the really neat Christmas wish! :D
Rann...I'm Lovin' The Trolls! :D
D, Please send some of the rain to Deb! But I'm hopin' that Dyson will get some of the snow, since he will "be home for Christmas!" :D

Well, The tree that Garrett got for us wouldn't stand up! I think the base was a little small for the stand. We tried tying it down w/ no luck, so we went to Lowe's (who was having a sale) & purchased a "fake" tree. It's the first one we have ever had! We consider it "going green".

The current...back to normal.
Temp 34F
Feels like: 31F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 32
Humidity: 93%
Visibility: 4 miles
Wind: 3 mph WSW
Sunrise: 7:33 AM
Sunset: 5:08 PM
Tuesday
Dec 25...Flurries

The trivia...
The Earth orbits the Sun at a distance of roughly 93 million miles. The Moon is much closer, at a distance of about:
a) 29,300 miles
b) 118,500 miles
c) 192,800 miles
d) 239,000 miles

Have a Wonderful Day! :D
Joey

We found this in the tree that Garrett got...

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 20, 2007
12:06 PM

Post #4312831

Yesterdays intermittent sleet / freezing rain did not add to the contents of the rain gauge, it is still at 2.4 inches. It was just enough to put a light coating of ice on the porch for a couple of hours. And it made working on the car miserable.

36(F) And the sky is getting light w/a gray overcast.

Relative Humidity: 73%
Pressure: 30.18in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 32F
Yesterday's High Temp: 49F
Dew Point: 30
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 38
Wind Chill: 38
6hr Low Temp: 38F
6hr High Temp: 43F
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 20, 2007
12:09 PM

Post #4312833

Currently: 36F Partly Cloudy
Currently: 2C Partly Cloudy
Wind: Southeast at 5 MPH
Humidity: 79%
Dewpoint: 30F
Barometer: 29.77 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 32F
Wind: Southeast at 8 KPH
Dewpoint: -1C
Barometer: 1008 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: 0 C

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 20, 2007
3:23 PM

Post #4313286

Minus 6F; less than 3 miles from here, it's Minus 18*F...(that area is known for the pocket of cold; it's also the location of the elementary school for this area).
Increasing clouds. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs 5 below to 5 above. Northeast wind to 10 mph.
Sunrise 10:15; Sunset 3:33 loss of 11 seconds.
music2keep~~thanks. The nest with the gift/Cross; is beautiful and timely. Hoping you have a white Christmas, too.. D
Dyson~~sleet and freezing rain is a very unpleasant combination, I'm sure~~light by now?
pepper23~looks to be a bit better; but chilly, there.
Ice fog on snow yesterday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 20, 2007
3:41 PM

Post #4313341

Hi everyone :-)

It's cloudy, a bit breezy but not raining at the moment, 48F. Wind from the south at 22 mph, gusting to 33 mph.

Kelli - thanks for answering my question. That's a beautiful photo. What a difference! It's hard to believe it's the same area.

Ric- wow - I thought our weather fluctuations were hard to keep up with! lol Hope you get a white Christmas :-)

Sharon - lol, no I haven't gone through the trouble, but I know some people do ;-) lol The girls have gotten notes from a few though and they save those ;-)

marsue - whenever you have the time to track down the recipe is fine ;-) No worries :-) Yes the girls do love to polish their nails ... Hildur Eva's so happy to have her own now so she won't have to borrow from Selma. lol

adina - thanks :-) Your friend's Christmas cactus is gorgeous! Such a pretty color. If it makes you feel any better, mine doesn't have any buds so yours is doing better! ;-) lol

Debi - I think you might be right. lol

kiska - thanks. I do hope you get a chance to visit some day :-) That's a beautiful photo :-)

D - seems like we're in the same boat. Combined precipitation(rain) for Sept/Oct/Nov for my area was 17.7 inches and December has been way above average too so we're probably close to 20" by now ... maybe more ... We've had enough already! lol

Nr. 9 is Bjgnakrkir and he just LOVES sausages! There's nothing that could get between him and a good piece of sausage. He's quite the gymnast and can climb anything to get what he wants ;-) lol

He also knows how to impress and brought the girls 2 more littlest pet shop pets - they were thrilled :-) lol

The forecast is wet until Sunday - then it looks like we could actually get some snow :-) So there's still hope! lol

Have a great day everybody :-)

Rann

This message was edited Dec 20, 2007 6:42 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 20, 2007
4:54 PM

Post #4313525

Hi Rannveig
We never hear about your weather in OR, love to hear and see the weather in all over the world and land

Not raining this second but suppose to in a bit. Right now it is 37F...and feels colder

Kelli; was that the Arboritum in Arcadia? Used to be the old Lucky Baldwin Estates? I used to live close to them and loved them. Went there many a day but we were on a permnant pass in the good old days, never had to pay to see the lovely estates and go to the sales, but now of course we do and it will always be worth it.

D

KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 20, 2007
9:56 PM

Post #4314305

Rann! That dude in your last posting remindes memyself right now. Well, I'm just fed up with the city life and I'm going to jump into the train to escape to my Southern estate. With all the nature amenities there.
Your word skir precariously reminds me the russian word [s i (hard sign) r], which means exactly cheese.
Expect more southern weather updates, and pics of the Nature.
Ye'all are just amasing!
Juri.

Thumbnail by KashtanGeorge

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 20, 2007
11:37 PM

Post #4314530

Kind of drizzly right now.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on December 20, 2007
53 F / 12 C
Light Drizzle
Humidity: 77%
Wind: 5 mph / 7 km/h / 2.1 m/s from the WSW

We went to the zoo today.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2007
1:24 AM

Post #4314821

Joey: I guess "C".
Dyson: Hope you don't have to deal with more sleet and freezing rain. Nasty stuff!
Rann: I think Bjugnakraekir is my favorite troll so far! Funny fella.
Dee: Hope you get a chance to dry out soon!
Juri: What pretty green hills! Have fun "down south"!
Kelli: Gorilla says, "Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits." :)

56F and CLOUDY! Rain predicted later tonight. I'll believe it when I see it in the rain gauge.
High tomorrow 62F. That's the forecast pretty much for Christmas day, too.

Deb
(PS/ Summer flashback.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #4314894

Currently: 38F Clear
Currently: 3C Clear
Wind: North at 3 MPH
Dewpoint: 32F
Barometer: 29.82 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 36F
Wind: North at 4 KPH
Dewpoint: 0C
Barometer: 1010 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: 2 C

Look at what tomorrow's temps supposed to be. Wow!!

Friday: Warming rays. Highs up to 58. South winds 10 to 20 mph.

Another ice storm pic. Taken at work.

Thumbnail by pepper23

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 21, 2007
3:50 AM

Post #4315394

Tonight
Snow showers. Accumulation up to 2 inches. Lows 5 below to 5 above zero. Temperatures steady or slowly increasing through the night. North to east wind 5 to 20 mph
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2007
10:13 AM

Post #4315938

Dark, 34(F)

Relative Humidity: 87%
Pressure: 30.21in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 36F
Yesterday's High Temp: 52F
Dew Point: 30
Visibility: 0.75mi
Ceiling: 300ft
Heat Index: 34
Wind Chill: 34
6hr Precip: 0.17in
6hr High Temp: 45F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2007
11:04 AM

Post #4315953

Marsue I much prefer it to be cool/cold at Christmas not spring/summer warm!
Sidney I love the frog lights! Too cute
Adina The lights at your park are very festive! At least your cactus is trying. Is it getting sunlight?
Kelli Thats a beautiful picture of the canyon.
Ric YAY? Snow!
Pepper Sounds like your roads are awfully slick now. Be careful.
Kiska Beautiful snow picture!
D- Wecome to the forum! Please take some pictures of your area. And yes please aim your fan in our direction as we could use the rain! LOL!
Dyson Is it dark?
Rann- Bjgnakrkir is quite the acrobat! Thats a hysterical picture! I know the girls just LOVE him for the additional littlest pet shop pets.
Juri Thats a lovely picture of the misty mountains! Where was that taken? Cant wait to see your Southerly pics!
Joey Im going with D. We have an artificial tree as well. I caved in last year, but its really pretty.
Deb Did you get any rain?
Pepper Thats really warm for your area. When is it going to get cold again?

62.8 F / 17.1 C
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 61 F / 16 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the SSW
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12.6 km/h / 11.3 m/s
Pressure: 29.76 in / 1007.7 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 1400 ft / 426 m
Scattered Clouds 3300 ft / 1005 m

Today
Partly cloudy and breezy. High 69. South winds 15 to 20 mph shifting to the northwest by midday.

We didn't get as much rain as predicted. The system moved in a more Northerly direction. We did get 1/4" of rain over night. I'll take it. It's pretty windy now.

I've had some kind of a virus the last couple of days and haven't felt very well. Headaches, nausea, dizzy...

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
11:36 AM

Post #4315985

Good morning!

We had more rain and wind last night, nothing drastic though. Now it's wet and fairly calm, light breeze 6 mph from the south and 41F. Today is winter solstice so tomorrow we'll start gaining some light :-) Today's sunrise will be at 11:22 and sunset at 3:29.

Nr. 10 is Gluggaggir. He's a nosey fellow who peeps through windows looking for something worth having. If he sees something he fancies he'll usually try to get it at a later time. Kind of like window shopping ... ;-)

He brought the girls multi-colored glitter pens and more pets (the trolls bought a value pack of pets so this will be a recurring theme until Christmas ;-)) lol

Unfortunately both the girls came down with a fever yesterday, so they're both sick today, their first day of Christmas vacation ... Hildur Eva's feeling much better already so I hope it'll all be over before Christmas!

Juri - I can't wait to see some photos from the south! :-) Skyr is actually sometimes classified as a kind of cheese ... it's somewhere between cream cheese and thick yogurt (except it's fat free).

Kelli - nice photo of the gorilla

Debi - LOL that's a good one!

Pepper - wow a heat wave! Will it cool down again before Christmas?

Sharon - sounds like the same things that's been going around here - Selma's been complaining about headaches for most of December and I've lost count on what number cold I'm on now. Had the headaches last week ... Sure hope you'll feel better soon!

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 21, 2007
12:06 PM

Post #4316030

Dense fog advisory in effect until 10 am cst this morning. snow and blowing snow advisory in effect from 12 pm Saturday to midnight cst Saturday night.

Currently: 27F Partly Cloudy
Currently: -2C Partly Cloudy
Wind: East at 6 MPH
Humidity: 89%
Dewpoint: 24F
Barometer: 29.82 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 20F
Wind: East at 9 KPH
Dewpoint: -4C
Barometer: 1010 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: -6 C

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 21, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #4316592

11*F, dark till 10:15am, sets at 3:33 with a loss of 2seconds daylight.
Cloudy with patchy fog in the morning. Snow likely in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 1 inch. Highs 10 to 20 above. North to east wind 10 to 25 mph becoming light in the afternoon.
Sharon; get well soon; love the sunset pic.
rann~sounds like the trolls are bringing "good stuff" and the girls are loving everything. Hope they, too, get well soon.
pepper23~seems like a good time to not be out driving.
Kelli~cute pic from the visit to the zoo.
Dyson, it's 7am here, dark, but hopefully it's at least dim there by now:)
Deb~~love the summer flashback-a nice bright jolt of color looks great.
My first "draped" warm glass project; fresh out of the kiln.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 21, 2007
4:26 PM

Post #4316628

It is light now, gray & overcast, when the sun came up I saw we got a very light dusting of snow the rain gauge now stands at 2.5 inches.

Thumbnail by Dyson

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
4:59 PM

Post #4316721

I was away all day yesterday--took MIL to doctor--she is doing much better. Anyway, it makes it hard to keep up with everyone so I won't try to comment on all the posts.
Just want to say that the blue glass is gorgeous kiska.
Rann, hope the little girls are feeling better soon and you, too, Sharon.
Pepper and Dee, around here we are forecast to have rain, not snow, for Christmas evening. :o((
Joey, supposedly, it is good luck to have a bird's nest in your Christmas tree--just leave it there! I'm guessing D for the trivia.

Overcast today but no rain. High of 63*F. Here is a sunrise photo from a few days ago.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #4316723

and here's my Christmas cactus just ready to blossom out. Everyone have a good day. I have some baking to get done!

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 21, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #4316767

Kiska - thanks :-) That is gorgeous! What a great job you've done! I love the color and everything else about it :-) Simply fantastic. Are you planning to sell any?

marsue - beautiful sunset and gorgeous cactus :-) Is it pure white? Looks great with the red ribbon :-)

This message was edited Dec 21, 2007 5:21 PM
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 21, 2007
6:53 PM

Post #4317063

D- yes, that was the Arboretum in Arcadia. We go out there a lot.

Rann, I hope the girls get to feeling better right away. What a bummer to be sick for Christmas vacation. :-(

Kiska, those are really neat glass items that you make.

Half of my Thanksgiving (or whatever it is) cactus plant bloomed for Thanksgiving. Now the other half is getting ready to bloom for Christmas. Is that bizarre or what?

Windy today.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on December 21, 2007
51 F / 11 C
Clear
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 26 F / -3 C
Wind: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 29 mph / 46 km/h / 12.9 m/s

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2007
10:06 PM

Post #4317511

Rann Thanks! The headache is just about gone. I dont think Ive ever had one that bad.
Pepper Does all the snow youre getting now cancel out the summer day tomorrow?
Kiska- WOW! Thats beautiful! I love the cobalt color and the whole drapey look! I2nd Rann you should start selling them. You definitely have the talent.
Dyson Weve been overcast, gray and misty/rainy all day. I really dont think we ever made it to the projected high of 69*.
Marsue Great sunrise! Did you finish your baking? Youll have to post a picture of your cactus when it blooms very pretty with the bow!
Kelli LOL! Mine never bloomed for Thanksgiving! One of mine is still all buds, the other is blooming.

59.2 F / 15.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 72%
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Rising)
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 1800 ft / 548 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect until 8 PM this evening...

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Windy in the evening. Low 54. North winds 20 mph...diminishing to 10 mph in the evening.

We have an angry ocean right now.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
10:19 PM

Post #4317563

Yes, rann, my cactus is pure white. I would like to have one of that is the fuchsia/pinkish or whatever color they are. While we were taking my MIL to the doctor yesterday somebody left one of those pinkish ones on her doorpstep. I told her I wanted a leaf to start after hers finishes blooming. Are the little girls feeling better yet?
Sorry about your headache, Sharon, glad it is about gone. I rarely ever have a headache, for which I am very thankful! Yes, I finished my baking for this afternoon. I made two loaves of pumpkin bread and 5 dozen of "Jill's Triple Chocolate Cookies". They are delicious and very rich. The recipe is on the "favorite chocolate chip cookies" thread over on the recipe forum, if anyone is interested.
I might have to make more pumpkin bread tomorrow. MY DH and I both enjoy having a slice with our coffee in the mornings and I am planning to give away the two loaves I made today. I rather imagine DH will be pouting when he finds out he can't eat any of it. LOL
Sharon, that is an angry ocean you have there in that photo. --Doesn't seem to bother the birds, though. LOL
Everyone have a good evening!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 21, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #4317573

Very pretty photos~love seeing the cactus in winter; I've tried several, but never had any luck.
Thanks, too, on the glass work...yes, as a matter of fact, just put one in a local shop; a small voitive candleholder/bowl. It's a fun hobby and if it pays for the glass, so much the better.
MySharona~the ocean looks very wild; my gdaughter asked if you swim in it when calm...
12*F; no sun today even though it was scheduled for 5 hours/17mins...
Ice cube anyone))
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 21, 2007
10:27 PM

Post #4317590

You can keep your ice cube, Kiska! LOL but don't feel bad--we didn't have any sun either, except for early this morning. It's been hiding behind an overcast sky ever since. :o(( It was, however, considerably warmer here than your 12F . It is about 58 on my backporch right now.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2007
11:05 PM

Post #4317704

Sharon: Sorry you've been under the weather, but I do hope you're better quick! Thanks for the ocean photo. I miss it when I don't see it regularly. :)
rann: Same for your girls. They simply must get better before Santa comes!
Kiska: You know you live in the frozen north when the weather specifies whether the forecast high is "above" or "below" zero! We've never needed that distinction, yet. :) I love your blue glass, too. Beautiful job!
Marsue: do post a pic when your cactus is blooming. I wonder why all the ones I see look to be standing up, when mine - although it has bloomed nicely - lays mostly flat? Anyone know what makes the diff?
Kelli: How considerate of your cactus to save some bloom for Christmas!

And finally...IT RAINED TODAY!! Weeee! 2 and 1/2 inches. Woke up to the wonderful sound. (The ducks were happy, too.) Currently 54 "above". ;-> and cloudy, breezy.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2007
11:29 PM

Post #4317805

Marsue Ill send you a couple of cuttings from my pink when cactus if you want. I dont get headaches often either, but this one made up for all the headaches I never had!
Kiska I think its great that you are able to sell your glassware. We have some great local artisans here. I always buy locally to support them. Yes, we do swim in the ocean, but only in late Spring and Summer. Otherwise the water is way too cold. The water temp now is 62*. Thats either a really big drink with a really big ice cube or its an iceberg! LOL!!
Deb Im so glad you got some rain! This drought has really taken its toll on us this year. The ducks are too cute!
Rann Heres hoping you and the girls are much better by Christmas day!

Skies this morning (they still look like this)

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2007
11:31 PM

Post #4317813

Deb - Just for you!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 21, 2007
11:58 PM

Post #4317864

Sharon: Thanks! It's been over a month since I saw the ocean, so every little bit helps! ( I was complaining to my aunt this morning that I missed the ocean and she said, "Well, you always were a sea creature.". LOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 22, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #4318050

Deb~~what a happy pair of ducks; looks like they do take to water..so glad to be reading about the rain~~thanks, fun new hobby underway.
Feeling better yet Sharon? I can see why you'd miss the ocean, Deb; sure looks beautiful.
marsue~~glad your MIL is doing well; 58* would be a nice warm summer day in this area; maybe the same for rann. Funny what we get used to and come to love.
Near the Palmer library.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2007
1:29 AM

Post #4318063

Sharon, I hope you're feeling better now.

We went to the beach today. It wasn't exactly beach weather but there was a good low tide during a civilized time of day.

Updated: 5:25 PM PST on December 21, 2007
Observed at: Point Dume, Malibu, California
Elevation: 115 ft / 35 m
56.7 F / 13.7 C
Clear
Humidity: 18%
Dew Point: 14 F / -10 C
Wind: 12.0 mph / 19.3 km/h / 5.4 m/s from the NNE
Wind Gust: 18.0 mph / 29.0 km/h / 8.2 m/s

One thing that starfish and I both have in common is that we both like mussels.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2007
1:31 AM

Post #4318068

turritella fossils

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #4318072

The brown thing in the middle is a sponge. We have never seen a sponge before in its natural habitat.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2007
1:32 AM

Post #4318074

sterotypical L.A. traffic

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2007
1:49 AM

Post #4318107

Yep that's when I would be ON Mulholland Drive!
The wonderful thing about visiting out there is WE picked the drive times...lol!

Kiska I really like that draped glass!
Tell your GD that the ocean in Sharon's shot IS calm! lol!
Actually the conditions there are perfect for swimming... body surfing would be GREAT!
Those are some great waves for the Southern East Coast... plus the water's still warm.

Speaking of warm... it's currently 52 here and a bit foggy.
We should easily hit 60 tomorrow.
As we are just a bit over 24 hours away from Winter Solstice...
w/ a projected temp of 52 then too...
Our 10 day forecast is basically cloudy temps in the mid 40's w/ an occasional cooler but sunny day

Tomorrow I'll get some shots of all the green popping up around here...
Iris, Pulmonaria, Lenten Roses, Ferns... all are popping up.

Ric
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 22, 2007
3:11 AM

Post #4318326

It is currently 37F and dropping...no rain just light mist.

Well used to you could PICK your time to travel on almost any road in So. CA not the case now. We moved when it took my husband 1 1/2 hours to drive to work and work was only 45 miles away! Went from Whittier to Riverside.

On Fri took much longer. During the day one day out there a couple of years ago to go from La Habra to Riverside took me 2 1/2 hours on the 91 and it was about 1:00 in the afternoon.

Here we just rarely get that kind of traffic.

OH joy.

Wishing each of you a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and a very Happy New Year.

D

Who now is off to make and bake homemade cookies with my 10 year old grand daughter:)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #4318656

Traffic was really bad in my picture because there had been an accident, but a Friday afternoon before a holiday weekend is not the best time to be out (most people will be getting Monday and Tuesday off so this is a holiday weekend). Some of those freeways are a total disaster area just about any time of day. The 405 is the nightmare in my corner of the world.

I've heard that the busiest shopping day of the year is the Saturday before Christmas, so I won't be going anywhere near any shopping mall tomorrow, that's for sure.

Thumbnail by Kelli

irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 22, 2007
5:30 AM

Post #4318823

Unfortunately I must go to a fabric store and the groc store...so not bad, but not going near Salem which should be super busy tomorrow.

D
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2007
10:48 AM

Post #4319031

Deb I understand. I drive by the ocean almost everyday so Im a little spoiled about being able to see it. I love to watch the waves when a storm is coming.
Kiska Looks like a black/white picture. Very pretty. I bet its gorgeous when the Christmas lights are on!
Kelli Thanks for posting the pictures! I never see live starfish here, theyre gorgeous! The sponge looks like a piece of the rock. Very cool good eye there! I really dont miss traffic jams. I had to drive to JIA yesterday to pick up Jeff which means I had to actually drive over the intracoastal and drive onto the mainland! Geeez, the traffic! LOL!!
Ric LOL Not warm enough for us! Even the surfers are wearing wetsuits. The ocean is churned up due to a lake wind advisory weve had the last couple of days.

52.3 F / 11 C
Overcast
Humidity: 86%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4 km/h from the NNW
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa(Rising)
Clouds: Overcast 900 ft / 274 m

Today
Considerable low clouds. High 66. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Going to the airport...!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2007
10:50 AM

Post #4319034

another beach pic

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 22, 2007
1:59 PM

Post #4319271

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the well wishes - the girls are feeling much better today :-) They can't go outside today though since they had a fever last night, hopefully it won't start up again tonight ... for some reason kids tend to get a fever in the late afternoon and evening.

There's actually a bit of blue sky visible today - it's been a while since we've seen that! lol It's not sunny though since there's a bank of clouds to the south. It's getting colder - currently (1:45 pm) it's 35F, 15 mph breeze from the SW gusting to 35 mph. It's supposed to freeze tonight and we'll be in freezing temps well into next week. There is a possibility of some snow or hail showers tomorrow and Monday so there's still hope we'll have a white(or at least white-ish) Christmas :-)

Nr. 11 is Gttaefur. He has a huge nose and with it he can smell Leaf Bread from miles away! He just follows his nose, so he sometimes forgets to actually look where he's going which can get him in all kinds of trouble. Although leaf bread is his favorite he'll eat any baked goods his nose stumbles on to ;-)

Kelli - maybe you have a cross between a Thanksgiving and Christmas cactus ;-) lol It is pretty cool to have it flowering on both holidays :-) Very cool beachphotos! I think you'd laugh when you see our "traffic jams" lol.

Sharon - so glad you're feeling better!

Deb - how far from the ocean do you live? Like Sharon, I see it everyday so I guess I kind of take it for granted ... I'd probably miss it if I lived further away

Kiska - that is so cool that you're able to sell your creations :-)

Dee - happy baking :-)

Well, only two more days 'till our big day (the 24th) so I need to get cracking. We tried to use the top of our blown over pine for a Christmas tree but it turned out to be too wide and heavy to be safe to use so DH is out shopping for a tree ... I hope he finds a decent one this late!

Have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2007
2:23 PM

Post #4319307

rannveig I know I've said it before but I Love those drawings and the Iceland Legends.

Sharon wet suits would be a must.
I got one out in CA years ago at the Dive Shop.
It rarely gets used but... one can dream! lol!
I keep forgetting to ask..How is the shelling down in your area?
Our neighbors are heading for JAX Monday.
What's the Forecast for Christmas week there?

It's 48 cureently and cloudy.
HEY THE SUN JUST POPPED THRU!!
Looking at a high near 60 .
I'm off work until Jan 2 so will have a bit of time for R & R.
We're hoping to get that big 10' sliding door installed in the Plantroom before I go back.

Here's a shot I took during that brief snow day we had.
It's Yellow Groove Bamboo...

Ric

This message was edited Dec 22, 2007 9:24 AM

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 22, 2007
3:42 PM

Post #4319489

41(F), overcast

DW just left to shop, for some reason the pocket containing my wallet with the credit cards feels larger & heavier than normal .. and she has just gotten to the end of the road. Oh well Christmas only happens once a year.

Relative Humidity: 73%
Wind: 70 (ENE) at 3mph
Pressure: 30.42in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 33F
Yesterday's High Temp: 41F
Dew Point: 33
Visibility: 6mi
Ceiling: 1400ft
Heat Index: 41
Wind Chill: 41
6hr High Temp: 39F
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 22, 2007
4:03 PM

Post #4319550

Mostly cloudy with isolated snow showers. Patchy fog in the morning. Highs in the mid teens to lower 20s. North to northeast wind 10 to 20 mph with local gusts to 35 mph.
Almost 7am and I'm so ready for the first cup of coffee; the house is quiet; there'll lots of gkids here later to decorate Christmas cookies. A good day ahead.
Kelli~to see such a nice series of the tidewater pics, and knowing that not too far away is a heavily traveled road and lots of people, it's good that there are the quiet places you find. Very nice photos of the varieties of life.
henryr10~thanks; hope you'll have good weather to get the door installed; seeing snow/bamboo looks very pretty. I'll pass along the swimming info; she'll wonder what "body surfing" means:))
rann~it's been wonderful to have the story told each day and I really appreciate your taking the time for it. Did you get a tree?
MySharona~hope you're better this morning; looks like the traffic would not have helped the situation.
A few days ago~
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 22, 2007
4:24 PM

Post #4319606

Currently: 31F Cloudy
Currently: 0C Cloudy
Wind: North at 23 MPH
Humidity: 82%
Dewpoint: 26F
Barometer: 29.89 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 18F
Wind: North at 37 KPH
Dewpoint: -3C
Barometer: 1012 millibars and falling

From a local news station: The main part of today's storm is moving out of western Kansas and heading East toward us. This morning there could be a few spotty rain showers, possibly mixing with sleet. By noon, we'll see that change to snow. With the winds picking up, near whiteout conditions are possible this afternoon and early this evening as 2 to 4 inches of snow falls on the Metro.

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2007
6:48 PM

Post #4319933

HAPPY SOLSTICE, Everybody!
Kiska: How much more daylight will you have tomorrow? :)
Rann: I live about 30 miles inland nowadays. I grew up in a house on a bay about a 10 minute drive from the beach. Now it's a pine forest view and a 45 minute drive. We do get to spend a week at the beach each year, but in between I just don't get over there enough. I'm glad to hear the girls are feeling a bit better and hopefully the fever won't be back this evening. What did Gattapefur bring them?

Sharon: Hope you're also feeling better. Thanks for the ocean pic today.

Currently 65 and cloudy, supposedly a chance for showers, but nothing yet as of nearly 2PM.

I cleaned out my tropical garden today of all the plants that were finally done in by our little freeze earlier in the week. Cleaned out the fountain, too. I always wait til late Dec. for that job to be sure the snakes have gone to sleep. ;->

I hope everybody gets the weather they want for the holiday - white, wet, warm, or sunny! :)
Deb
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 22, 2007
6:56 PM

Post #4319964

pepper23; another wild weather day in the works, sounds like. Take care.
Deb~~was doing well and enjoying reading about the ocean; then, you needed to clean the fountain; what a thought ~~ hope they were all sleeping...
Today we gained 15 seconds...
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 22, 2007
7:01 PM

Post #4319982

No white stuff in store here, Deb. It is now 58F and raining with more rain predicted for every other day this next week. However, tomorrow the sun is supposed to shine so I'll take it when I can get it.
Glad the little girls are feeling better, Rann. Hope they are completely well by Christmas.
Thinking about you in those white-out conditions, pepper. Hope everybody up your way stays safe.
Loved those photos, Kelli--they were really neat!
Yours, too, kiska. and your beachs pics, Sharon.
We made a quick run to Wal-Mart early this morning--got there before the Saturday-before-Christmas-crowd, thank goodness! Hopefuly, I won't have to go back until after Christmas! I was right about my DH getting into the pumpkin bread so I'm off to the kitchen to bake another 2 loaves. LOL
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 22, 2007
7:33 PM

Post #4320048

Rann So glad the girls are feeling better, but do hope the fever stays away tonight. Wouldnt it be nice to have a white(ish) Christmas? LOL!! Gttaefur
Ric Shells arent easily found here in one piece. Our beaches have taken a beating the last couple of years. We get a lot of sharks teeth though. At this point (subject to change) Jax highs are going to be in the upper 60s to mid 70s and the lows will be from the high 40s to mid 50s. Its amazing that bamboo grows and thrives in your zone! Look at the snow on it! LOL! BTW its a background for me!
Dyson Youre cracking me up!
Kiska Another background photo! Just beautiful! I am feeling much better.
Pepper Post some more snow pics! 7 wind chill Brrrrrrrr!
Deb Sounds like you got a lot done! Ill be working in my gardens this next week as well. Time for some clean up duty.
Marsue sounds like your DH and my DH would have an eating competition going! Ill be making banana nut muffins shortly. The bananas are finally ripe enough.

59.4 F / 15.2 C
Overcast
Dew Point: 53 F / 12 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 1.8 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 9.6 mph / 15.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Overcast 800 ft / 243 m

I don't think we're going to make the projected high today either! I stopped by Peters Point Beach on my way to work this morning - pretty much looks like Sadler Beach yesterday! LOL! Well, it is only 2 miles farther South.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2007
8:37 PM

Post #4320146

Yesterday was the winter solstice for me. Our calendar says it occurred at 6:08 U.T. (universal time) on December 22, which is 10:08PM Pacific Time on December 21. Just some useless trivia for you.

Updated: 11:51 AM PST on December 22, 2007
61 F / 16 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 12 F / -11 C
Wind: 15 mph / 24 km/h / 6.7 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 28 mph / 44 km/h / 12.3 m/s

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2007
12:04 AM

Post #4320455

Kiska: Sorry for the jolt! LOL. (and yes, no reptiles in evidence, thank goodness).
Kelli: So we have a solstice that's on the "cusp" this year, hmmm? So Happy Solstice yesterday to you and everone in Mountain time, too. :) Longer days -- yay!
Sharon: I won't mention your banana bread to DH. He'll want some, too! ;)
I shoud'vesadded wishes for a dry Christmas, specially for Pepper and for Dee.

Walk in the woods today...
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
12:26 AM

Post #4320482

Totally dark, it was so overcast during the day that the solar driveway markers never charged enough to light when the sun set.

Still no moisture and the gauge is steady at 2.5 inches.

Thumbnail by Dyson

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #4320626

Dark and cloudy, but not all that cold. No snow, ice so we are lucky. Pepper, take care, we saw TV footage of the multi-vehicle pile ups during the whiteouts.
DebinSC, here is hoping you get some more rain - but not those nasty tornadoes

We are all ready for Christmas here, presents wrapped. Just need to do a little baking on Monday Cheesecakes, Cherry pies, raisin cakes, etc. Seems everyone has a favorite so I make one batch of each. LOL.

Sending love, joy and peace...
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #4320695

Well we had a Marvelous day here.
It hit 60 and is currently 57.
The Sun was out, gentle breeze, I worked in shirt sleeves.
Actually could have broken out the shorts...lol!
That will change tonight...
We're getting a taste of Pepper's Weather...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS ISSUED A WIND
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM SUNDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST
SUNDAY NIGHT.

A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS THE REGION EARLY SUNDAY
MORNING. SOUTHERLY WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS
45 TO 50 MPH IN THE PREDAWN HOURS. BEHIND THE FRONTAL PASSAGE ON
SUNDAY...SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL CONTINUE AT 25 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS
TO 50 MPH.

Notice the SW Winds though... we will not be getting any of the Arctic Air.
Temps will be in the 40's w/ rain...NOT Snow...
Looks like mid 40's for Christmas Day.

I mentioned all the green here.
Well part of that is intentional.
We raise a lot of evergreen plants that are hardy here.
Bamboo is evergreen and actually very invasive here.
Nut we are at the extreme Northern range for it being evergreen.
Just a bit north of us it gets whacked back to ground level every other year or so.
Unlike down South no Clumping Bamboo are hardy here though.
So they are all Runners and have to be very heavily barriered.
Here's the Yellow Groove and some Nigra or Black Bamboo... both colors refer to the stems not the leaves.
All the green you see is bamboo.
The ladder in the shot is 8' tall to give you some scale.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007

Post #4320696

There was a 40 car pile-up on I-29 up by St. Joseph today. Another 39 car pile-up in KS on I-70 about 45 minutes from KCK.

I was out in the weather today to go to a b-day party and we had a bit of everything. Didn't have to drive in white-outs though we did come close.

Currently: 21F Light Snow
Currently: -6C Light Snow
Wind: North-Northwest at 24 MPH
Dewpoint: 18F
Barometer: 29.86 inches and
Wind Chill: 4F
Wind: North-Northwest at 38 KPH
Dewpoint: -7C
Barometer: 1011 millibars and
Wind Chill: -15 C

Almanac
Normal High: 38
Normal Low: 20
Record High: 67 in 1933
Record Low: -23 in 1989
Sunrise: 7:34 am
Sunset: 4:59 pm
Moonrise: 3:25 pm
Moonset: 6:16 am
Today's Moon: gibbous, waxing

Will try to take snow pics tomorrow.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4320724

Pepper Hunker Down!
I hope no one was seriously injured.
Keep the snow. Send the Photos!

The reason I gow the bamboo...other than it's Tropical like beauty is as a wind break.
It on the north side of the yard and dramatically cuts off the cold north winds in Winter.
In fact it actually keeps the yard as much as 5 degrees warmer at ground level.
Here's Pleioblastus Variegatus or Dwarf Whitestripe Bamboo.
It grows under the Yellow Groove ( who's characteristic and much prized crooked stems can be seen in the background).

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
2:24 AM

Post #4320735

The winds are already starting to pick up.
It was dead calm 15 minutes ago.
They are now at a steady 13 MPH.

Here's the last shot for a bit.
It's Arabis alpina or Alpine Rock Cress.
It's a very tough plant. Slow to get started but a steady grower once it gets established.
It will be in full bloom w/ the Daffs and Muscari in a few months..

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007
2:45 AM

Post #4320801

Wind's only gonna get worse so you might wanna hunker down. :~)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
2:58 AM

Post #4320832

Yep!
I'm glad I got everything secured out there today.
It's just the start I'm sure.
Ah Winter in the Midwest...

Here's our new work area.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2007
10:30 AM

Post #4321375

Deb The thing I love about making banana nut muffins is theyre so easy to make and only take about 13 minutes to cook. I found these star shaped muffin tins at the grocery store the muffins are really cute! Pretty moss pic!
Se_eds Yummm cheesecake, cherry pie! Were almost ready too. Just need to pick up a couple of stocking stuffers for the boys and the cats and Prissy and thats it!
Ric You had he heat wave! 60* - Id have broken out the shorts and t-shirt too! I cant let Jeff see all the bamboo. He will think if its okay for Ric to have it them so can he! Although I do love the striped bamboo. The Alpine Rock Cress is very pretty as well. What will the flowers look like? You should be nice and cozy in the work area now!
Pepper OMG Be careful thats frightening. Are you near Indep, KS?

55.8 F / 13.2 C
Fog
Humidity: 96%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)

Dense fog advisory in effect until 8 am EST this morning...

Dense fog advisory in effect until 8 am EST this morning...
Today
Widespread dense fog through the early morning with visibility one quarter mile or less. Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of showers...mainly in the early morning and late afternoon. Warmer. High 72. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the west 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 20 percent.

Whatever this headache/nausea/dizzy thing is that's going around is in my cul-de-sac now. Seems like everyone has it or has had it recently.

dunes

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2007
10:36 AM

Post #4321380

Some interesting fungus on a dead tree branch.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2007
10:38 AM

Post #4321381

Thanksgiving cactus - I have multiple blooms!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2007
11:01 AM

Post #4321394

And here I was thinking solstice was the 21st ...lol. It was on the news last night ... Kiska - no only those that believe in the old Norse gods celebrate solstice here.

Deb - Gttaefur brought them pets and peg boards for ironing beads.

Thanks again for the well wishes for the girls :-) Selma did have a bit of a fever again last night but nothing like the night before so she's definitely improving. Looks like she'll have to stay inside until the 24th at least though.

We did get a tree and it's up :-) The girls are decorating as I'm typing this :-)

Nr. 12 is Ketkrkur. He goes straight for the good stuff, the smoked lamb. That is our traditional Christmas dinner, served with potatoes, a white sauce and the leaf bread. It's usually served now on Christmas Day since the food selection has increased vastly and pork has now become the most popular roast on Christmas Eve. We serve the smoked lamb cold so I'll be cooking it today - it brings the scent of Christmas to the house ;-)

Ketkrkur brought the girls pets too ;-)

Today's weather is cloudy, 32F and a rather stiff breeze blowing straight from the north at 20 mph gusting to 26 mph. Sunrise will be at 11:23 and sunset at 3:30.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 23, 2007
11:23 AM

Post #4321409

Ric - your bamboo is so pretty :-) I especially like the photo of the snowcovered one :-) Your working area looks secure enough! :-)

Sharon - great photos :-) Your Christmas Cactus is so pretty :-)

pepper - yikes! More bad weather! Hope the worst is over by now.

seeds - cheese cake and pie sounds yummy :-)

Rann
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
11:26 AM

Post #4321413

Still dark, trace rainfall overnight, supposed to thunderstorms this afternoon, 41(F).
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 23, 2007
11:42 AM

Post #4321421

Well this weather and the season, has done a number on me. Been sick with Larynitis and Broncitis since Fri after Thanksgiving. Well been twice for it...had to go the Urgent Care center today finally and have pneumonia so now finally they put on super strong antibodic after shot of antibodic and prescription cough meds. Hopefully I will have a nicer voice and feel not so tired by Christmas day.

Wishish each and every one a Very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year.

Hope your girls get better Rann.

Tonight too much coughing to sleep well.

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
1:19 PM

Post #4321501

Raining (it's a good thing)! 42(F)
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
3:16 PM

Post #4321715

Sharon that looks to be Trametes versicolor or Turkey Tail Fungus.
I'll be posting shots of the Alpine as it flowers out...tease... lol!

The wind is seriuoesly whipping here now.
It's 41 (Wind Chill 31) w/ sustained 22 MPH Winds gusting to 55.
Just a spit of rain.
The temps will drop all day to about feezing by dark.
Then it will rise again overnight.

Here's our Lenten Rose showing it's new shoots.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #4321952

Dyson: Raining here, too! Another 1/2" so far. Makes a total of 3" in the past 10 days.
Ric: Your Lenten Rose looks better than mine do. They're in a corner of our fenced in back garden where the dogs tend to trample them. :) Hopefully, they will bloom anyway. :)
Dee: You've had a rough few weeks. I do hope the meds work and you feel better for Christmas!
Sharon: Your cactus is just beautiful.
Pepper: I just saw photos of some of the highway pile-ups on the news. You stay safe, now!

Warm enough the sit on the screen porch and read the paper this morning. High today will be 70F. Breezy and damp.
Deb
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 23, 2007
4:42 PM

Post #4321976

Cloudy with isolated snow showers in the morning...then snow in the afternoon. Snow accumulation around 1 inch. Highs in the 20s. Northeast wind 10 to 25 mph shifting to the southeast 10 mph in the afternoon.
Hope this link works; about the moon and mars eclipse today.
http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/245097.html
Good morning everyone; will check back later.
Get well soon, dee...
Photo is not current. Base of Pioneer Peak.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
5:07 PM

Post #4322039

I have been wanting to extend the front deck of la-casa-doublewide for some time and just thought of how to use the extension to hide a rain water collection cistern, now I just have to figure out where the get the materials and how to pay for them.

45 & still raining.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 23, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #4322109

Kansas City, Missouri
Sharon, I live closer to Independece, MO than the one in KS.

There were alot of pile ups in the area due to white out conditions yesterday. Most of them were up north though where the storm hit hardest. Northern MO got up to 8 inches of snow in some places though we only got a couple due to the wind. I hope to get some pics today since we also have ice on the trees.

We have more storms coming again this week. Christmas night into Weds, a chance all day Fri and a chance on Sat. Another weekend of storms. This makes number 4 or 5 coming up. I can't remember for sure.

Currently: 24F Clear
Currently: -4C Clear
Wind: West at 15 MPH
Humidity: 55%
Dewpoint: 10F
Barometer: 30.04 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 11F
Wind: West at 24 KPH
Dewpoint: -12C
Barometer: 1017 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -11 C

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
6:04 PM

Post #4322155

Love the amaryllis, Kelli-- and Deb, the moss, too.
Sharon that is interesting fungus and your cactus is really showing off! LOL Mine has a couple of big blooms on it but it is probably two or three days behind yours in being that showy! I am sure those banana nut muffins are yummy, but really I am just about "baked out" and nothing sweet sounds good to me right now. LOL
Ric, your bamboo is pretty but just make sure you keep it up there, please!
Rann: sounds like troll #12 certainly knows a good dinner when he sees one!
Dee--so sorry about the illness--I certainly pray that you will be much better by Christmas Day.
Well, kiska, we know you will have a white Christmas even if most of the rest of us don't! ☺☺☺
Dyson: you are getting some rain!! Hooray!!

Thanks for the love, peace and joy, se_eds! I will certainly take it and I'm sending some right back to you! and all the rest of you, too!

Like se_eds, we are ready for Christmas here: Presents are wrapped, goodies are baked. We are heading out in a couple of hours to drive to Bryant (about 45 miles from here) and will be spending the afternoon with good friends.

Today: Sunny. Cooler. High 47F. Winds WSW at 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight: Mainly clear skies. Low near 30F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2007
6:37 PM

Post #4322232

Dyson So glad you got some more rain!
Dee I hope you feel much better by Christmas. : (
Ric LOL! Turkey tail, kind of looks like one!
Kiska Do not Stop = Yikes! Sounds like youre definitely going to have a white Christmas! Im envious LOL! Take pictures of the eclipse if you can!
Pepper I know youre in Missouri! I havent looked at a map to see exactly where you are as opposed to Indep, KS.
Marsue Im baked out too! Glad the majority of the baked goods are at friends and neighbors now. Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon.

74.8 F / 23.8 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 46%
Dew Point: 53 F / 12 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the WSW
Wind Gust: 8.3 mph / 13.4 km/h
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 78 F / 25 C
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 1200 ft / 365 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 23, 2007
7:54 PM

Post #4322382

Stopped raining & the sun came out at 1420 gauge now at 2.9 in (a .4in increase).

Thumbnail by Dyson

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 23, 2007
9:03 PM

Post #4322569

Sharon, what a beautiful cactus!

Sorry to break the green pictures with a white one !it's been freezing, about 15 forecasted tonight and it's snowing again!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 23, 2007
9:06 PM

Post #4322574

Little windows are really frozen !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 23, 2007
9:07 PM

Post #4322579

Close-up on a small window.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
9:26 PM

Post #4322613

Wow, what a round of wind and rain. Henry10, hope you have things battened down tight. We have the cold air from the west battling the warm air from the south all day - sustained 35 mph and gusts of 50-60 mph. We also received an inch of rain, so far - and it is still raining. Under an advisory for wind damage, power lines down, etc. until 2 AM tonight. Currently 59 degrees and some rumbles of thunder.

Wouldn't you know that the coffee pot quit about 3 PM in the afternoon. When I went to the local dollar store to replace it the rain was blowing sideways. Glad to be back in the dry.
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 23, 2007
10:10 PM

Post #4322703

Well been in bed most of the day so far. Maybe that is all the body needs is REST...something I very seldom give it. Honey had to take over printing the catalogs to have ready in time to mail out...

Honey even fixed me lunch:)

Pepper we heard about the pile ups! Yipes.

Tomorrow must bake the pies for Christmas, lucky this time only one...not all of them.

In between bed and rest, have to get the spare bed ready for tomorrow.

Take care, stay warm and happy.

D
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 23, 2007
10:14 PM

Post #4322706

Dee: rest as much as you can! Feel better soon.
Dyson: Happy to see your rain gauge moving upward. (rained again for a bit this afternoon. I'm going to get spoiled!)
Adina: Brrr! It does look very cold. And looks like you will have a white Christmas. Casuta kinder is..."children's house" or something like that? (WILD guess.)

Deb
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
10:37 PM

Post #4322764

It's still blowing here but the temps haven't dropped.
Still 37 but w/ sustained 20 MPH winds the chill is 27 .
We saw a little blowing snow over in KY.
---------------------------------------------------------------
a wind advisory remains in effect until midnight est tonight.

a strong cold front moved across the region earlier this morning.
strong winds persist behind the front as gusts continue to range
from 35 to 45 mph early this afternoon. southwest winds between
20 and 35 mph will continue this afternoon and evening...with
gusts as high as 50 mph. isolated gusts at 50 to 55 mph will also
be possible later this afternoon.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Glad it's getting it out of it's system.
Tomorrow we travel.

Here's some Cone Cakes for you.
They're baked right in the cone.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 23, 2007
10:38 PM

Post #4322767

Forgot to sat Adina those Hoar Frost photos are Great!!

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 23, 2007
11:11 PM

Post #4322832

I thought it was going to rain, but no. Oh well, I soaked the plants at 4:00, which is our cutoff.
Adina I love the snow pics, especially the last one! Youre going to have a white Christmas too!
Se_eds Wow youre in for a gusty ride tonight! Hang on and stay safe and warm. Wed have left the nest to buy a new coffee pot too! Jeff cant go too long without his caf!
Dee Sometimes all the body wants is rest. So take as much as you need. May you get tons of sleep tonight!
Ric I want that recipe! They look yummy and cute! Be safe tomorrow on your journey.

67.1 F / 19.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 65%
Dew Point: 55 F / 13 C
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3500 ft / 1066 m
Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft / 2743 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 44. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

This was the fog this morning

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
12:33 AM

Post #4323022

Currently: 27F Partly Cloudy
Currently: -2C Partly Cloudy
Wind: West at 9 MPH
Humidity: 53%
Dewpoint: 12F
Barometer: 30.09 inches and rising
Wind: West at 14 KPH
Dewpoint: -11C
Barometer: 1019 millibars and rising

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 24, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #4323031

3pm; gray, black and white; christmas lights look great outdoors now.
Adina~ the wintry photos are very nice; so pretty there. Is Deb right? Seems it could be.
ric~wow~a good time to be indoors looking out. Thanks for the cone cakes; cute idea and look almost to good to eat.
Dee~seems you've been able to take it easy; hopefully you won't overdo tomorrow:)) get well soon.
MySharona~what a great foggy photo; looks to be winter-like.
se_eds~that would have been a necessary errand, here too..gotta keep the coffee coming:)) glad you're home safe and sound to enjoy it.
I'm very excited; the glass projects are selling so fast, we can't keep up. My daughter and I are in this together; we've got both kilns running today and projects planned, just need time.. The large pieces take two days to complete the process. We can do jewelry in a few hours. At least we can now buy more glass:)
Yesterday grkids came to decorate; couldn't get them all in one photo, but all had fun.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 24, 2007
12:39 AM

Post #4323034

opps; sorry, cross posted pepper; hasn't got any better there, has it?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #4323110

Nope. :~) My sister is mad at me for it too. Been trying to go see her for several weeks but the roads have been so bad we told her we have to wait til the next weekend. She has heard it 4 times now and she's tired of hearing it. lol.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #4323214

The winds are dying off here finally. Down to around 15 MPH now.
We're still getting a few blasts but it's still 37.

But up in Dayton they are still hitting 32 MPH sustained... w/ a temp of 30 up there they are getting Wind Chills of about 14 .
Hope that's all finished before we slid up there tomorrow afternoon!!

All the plastic held and the trees haven't dropped anything major so all in all it's been a breezy but safe day.

The Cone Cakes are easy to make.
Basically you just take any cake mix prepared per their directions.
Then take the flat bottomed Ice Cream Cones.
Put them in cupcake pans or a baking pan w/ sides.
Fill them 2/3 w/ the batter.
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. (till they spring back when lightly touched)
Let them cool them ice.
I found it easiest to soften the icing then dip and spin the cones.
Then just pop on the sprinkles.

We'll be hitting the Hot Tub in about an hour.
Nothing like a hot tub on a cold night!!!!
Ric
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 24, 2007
3:18 AM

Post #4323431

pepper~~too bad you've been unable to get to your sister's home. Maybe the first of the year?
Ric~~I've got to try the cupcakes; they will be a hit with all.. You have the same attitude as my son, the colder, the better; he's put a small tv outside, undercover, so they don't miss the ftball games>>
My son, ice fishing and cooking hot dogs; no fish to fry...
The ice is several feet thick...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2007
3:39 AM

Post #4323488

Kiska, your son isn't even wearing gloves!!! BRRRR. You really have to like hotdogs to cook them in that kind of weather outside!! LOL Your grandkids look like they were having a great time icing those cookies. What fun!
Ric, those cone cakes look like a chocolate lover's dream! and I know with the weather you have been having that hot tub is going to feel extra good tonight.
Pretty pictures, adina, but cold-looking!!
Pepper, sorry about your bad weather preventing you from visiting your sister. Hopefully you won't have to wait till spring to visit her.
Think I'll go watch a Christmas movie. Talk to y'all tomorrow.
irisloverdee
Lebanon, OR

December 24, 2007
4:28 AM

Post #4323655

Thanks all for the get well wishes. Since being in bed most of the day, I do feel better! Will continue resting until pie baking tomorrow.

It has been raining most of the day but is warmer than we have been for about 10 days now. Got up to 53F today:)

Almost a heat wave!

Chat with you all tomorrow.

D
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2007
11:29 AM

Post #4323983

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVE!!
Kiska Congratulations on your success! Post some pictures of the jewelry and more of the pieces you are selling. This is so exciting! Your GKs look like they are having a great time.
Pepper Surely your sister understands about the weather. Hopefully it will clear up enough to see her next weekend.
Ric I never thought about baking cake in an ice cream cone! Its a cute idea and great for the kids. Glad the plastic held so you could enjoy the hot tub!
Kiska Your son doesnt have any gloves on! Im sure you adapt to the temps and it doesnt feel that cold. How can you tell how thick the ice is?
Marsue - I can eat a hot dog any day any time! LOL! What movie did you watch?
Dee - Glad you are felling better. Try to not overdo today.

44.4 F / 6.9 C
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 28 F / -2 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h / 1.8 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 7.4 mph / 11.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Rising)
Windchill: 42 F / 6 C
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Cooler. High 60. North winds 5 to 10 mph.

Looks like we'll have a cool Christmas this year! Wooo Hoooo! LOL! I'll have to do a little more baking today - a birthday cake (Jeff is a Christmas baby). I started some chicken chili last night (for lunch/dinner today) in the crock pot. It smells so good it woke me up!

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2007
12:01 PM

Post #4324002

Currently: 18F Clear
Currently: -7C Clear
Wind: Southwest at 7 MPH
Dewpoint: 12F
Barometer: 30.13 inches and steady
Wind Chill: 9F
Wind: Southwest at 11 KPH
Dewpoint: -11C
Barometer: 1020 millibars and steady
Wind Chill: -12 C

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2007
12:20 PM

Post #4324013

Pepper -12 wind chill Brrrrr!

We're a little cooler now than my earlier post.
43.2 F / 6.2 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 28 F / -2 C

This mornings sky from the back yard while I was refilling the bird feeders.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2007
12:21 PM

Post #4324014

And from the front door

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2007
4:08 PM

Post #4324389

Kiska: I'll say the same...No gloves?! LOL! I was out taking some photos this morning. It was 38F and I cut my little session short because my fingers were getting numb.
Sharon: Glad you'll have a cool down for the holiday. I have to admit that, as much as I hate cold, the frosty morning does feel more 'right" for the season. You had a lovely sky this morning.
Oh my goodness, Pepper! I know you will be wearing gloves if you have to go out in -12 windchill?!!!
Dee: Glad you're feeling a little better.

Curently 44F, on the way up to 65. Had a surprise frost last night - it was only supposed to get to the low 40s but turned out about 8 degrees colder. Weatherman scores again! :)

Here's one on my pics from this morning.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 24, 2007
4:57 PM

Post #4324470

10*F~~dark. Gain of 40 seconds daylight today.
Mostly cloudy. Flurries in the afternoon. Highs in the 20s. Northeast wind increasing to 15 to 25 mph with local gusts to 35 mph.
Deb~~what a beautiful photo; very peaceful and serene.
marsue~~Merry Christmas; hope you enjoyed the movie.
The ice auger is about 4 feet long; after drilling through the ice to as far as the auger will go, they use a long bar to break through the rest of the ice. Usually just another few inches.
I guess it's something you adapt to, as to wearing gloves, unless I'm outdoors for a long time, don't use gloves either. (I did on that ice-fishing trip)>
MySharona~Happy birthday to Jeff~ love your photos this morning, as always. We've not taken photos of the recent glass projects, really should do that...
Merry Christmas to all~~
Alpenglow on Pioneer Peak
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

slowtornado
Belle Plaine, KS

December 24, 2007
5:38 PM

Post #4324560

Thanks for the invite sugarweed. How do you get all that info? My hubB cruises thru the weatherchannel website all the time. And he got a nice indoor/outdoor thermometer from his boss. The raingauge is put away so it wont freeze. I really enjoy taking pics and posting them. But your *group* is so organized, and I'm not!
Maybe my hubB will get the info and I'll take the pic's!?:)
Lora:) Our backyard, 5min. ago. Cold, but thawing:) Merry Christmas

Thumbnail by slowtornado

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 24, 2007
5:42 PM

Post #4324575

Sharon, how nice of you to make a birthday cake for Jeff. I always felt kind of sorry for those who had birthdays on or near Christmas since they probably got lost in the shuffle. As a kid, birthday was almost as important to me as Christmas.

It's warmer than usual this morning and they are calling for it to get up to 75F. I know it's not traditional, but that's my idea of a winter wonderland! (If "traditional' is what you grew up with, than traditional Christmas weather for me is rainy and grey and in the 40sF. I'll pass, thank you.) But may you all get the Christmas weather you want. :-)

Updated: 8:51 AM PST on December 24, 2007
59 F / 15 C
Clear
Humidity: 44%
Dew Point: 37 F / 3 C

A high wind watch remains in effect from 6 PM PST this evening
through Tuesday afternoon.

The National Weather Service in Los Angeles/Oxnard has issued a Fire
Weather Watch... which is in effect from Monday evening through
Tuesday evening.

North to northeast winds are expected to increase in strength and areal
coverage by late Monday evening... and continue through much of Christmas
day. The strong winds are expected to be confined to the San Fernando
Valley... where north to northeast winds 20 to 35 mph with local gusts
to 50 mph will be possible. Humidity levels are expected to lower
rapidly overnight Monday night... falling into single digits across
the San Fernando and San Gabriel valleys on Christmas day.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2007
5:51 PM

Post #4324600

Beautiful 'Heron in the Mist" shot Deb!
Alpenglow and 40 seconds of more daylight!
It's officially Winter!!
We got an extra 13 seconds!!!!
What are you going to do w/ all that extra sunlight kiska?

It's currently 36 mild breeze and Absolutely Clear.
Looks like we'll be in the upper 40's/low 50's for a week after today.

Here's another of our Lenten Roses.
First year for this one.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 24, 2007
5:53 PM

Post #4324608

Whoa 75 and single digit Humidity?
Sounds more like Palm Springs!

Ric
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2007
7:25 PM

Post #4324756

Yes, sounds like heaven. :)
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 24, 2007
7:29 PM

Post #4324765

52, bright blue skies

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 24, 2007
9:41 PM

Post #4324962

Deb, those cottages(casuta) each have names of some cakes made of the "Kinder" factory. So it's Casuta Kinder-name of the chocolate egg with surprise, Casuta Kinder delice, Casuta Kinder pingui and so on.
More snow today and so beautiful !
Merry Christmas everyone!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2007
10:46 PM

Post #4325057

On this Christmas Eve I wish everyone here on the weather forum a blessed holiday season and a happy and healthy new year.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2007
11:32 PM

Post #4325115

Deb Thats a wonderful picture. Very serene!
Kiska Jeff said Thank you for the birthday wishes. Thats a wonderful picture of Pioneer Peak! More snow for you!
Lora Welcome to the forum! And you have snow too! Im living vicariously through my Northern friends and their snow!
Kelli I always have a separate celebration for Jeff. Sometimes I can even get a little party together, but not often since many people are traveling. Im going to try for next year though. He was one of those babies that didnt get to have a real birthday as a child.
Dyson First rain, then bright blue skies! Sounds like a great day!
Adina Such a lovely picture! I really like the lights hanging from the trees. Im sure its a gorgeous sight at night. Please take a picture if you can.
E_B Nice to see you again and you bring a fantastic picture with you!

51.3 F / 10.7 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 33 F / 0 C
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1021.9 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 30000 ft / 9144 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance of showers late in the night. Low 46. North winds 5 mph.

Sylvester was digging a hole today.

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 24, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #4325116

This is the hole!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 25, 2007
12:14 AM

Post #4325163

Adina: That row of cottages sounds like a kid's paradise!
E_B: What a wonderful photo for the season.
Sharon: Sylvester's a good digger! Looks like the holes my terriers dig. :)

From our house to all of yours, a wish for a peaceful and happy Christmas and a great '08!
Deb

(The only lights we have are the ones on the left, keeping my baby Queen palm warm. )

Thumbnail by DebinSC

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #4325260

Just took the last pumpkin pie out of the oven. Will soon put the Ham in to cook slow---ly overnight. Then, in the morning I can add pineapple, brown sugar and cloves.
Have had half the gang in to exchange gifts and eat cheesecake with cherries and whipped cream, flavored coffees and candy! The other half of the gang will be in tomorrow for our traditional ham dinner.

This way both sides of the family get to have Christmas - and we each have two Christmases. I guess Christmas for us is not only Christ's birthday - but several days of seasonal camaraderie and fun.

Travel weather is great here in northern Pa. - No snow, sleet and dry roads - but cold. Would love to see the full moon but we have lots of clouds.

This year I have a new great-grandchild to look forward to within the next month. What a blessing! Times are tough for this young family, as they are for many across this nation, but they are surrounded with love and helping hands. All they have to learn is to have faith in the future.

On this holy night, I wish all of you Peace and Hope.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2007
1:47 AM

Post #4325286

Most of the snow has melted today but all that will refreeze again tonight. Luckily no work tomorrow so no having to spend 15 min cleaning thick ice off windshield.

Currently: 36F Partly Cloudy
Currently: 2C Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 59%
Dewpoint: 23F
Barometer: 30.12 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 30F
Humidity: 59%
Dewpoint: -5C
Barometer: 1020 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -1 C

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2007
2:29 AM

Post #4325348

Sounds like fun, se_eds! Sometimes I kind of wish I had some family out here.

I try to make something special for dinner on Christmas Eve. It's something different every year. Tonight we had scallops, shrimp, mussels, and crayfish cooked in Cajun spices.

It was still all day today and then it got windy after dark.

Updated: 5:51 PM PST on December 24, 2007
60 F / 16 C
Clear
Dew Point: 39 F / 4 C
Wind: 14 mph / 22 km/h / 6.2 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 37 mph / 59 km/h / 16.5 m/s

BTW, the first seed catalogue of the season arrived in the mail today.

This message was edited Dec 24, 2007 6:32 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 25, 2007
4:50 AM

Post #4325562

Well we just got back from up in Dayton.
Lovely clear , calm and 30 .
The Moon is certainly lovely.
Coming home we went cross county thru the farming belt.
We were far enough from the light pollution that we saw some nice starry skies for a change.

I guess the Conecakes were a hit!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 25, 2007
12:48 PM

Post #4325817

MERRY CHRISTMAS! May the season be filled with joy and happiness. Lets not forget the reason were celebrating. May God Bless all of you, my friends.

Deb Your house is so pretty and I love the lights! The things we do to protect our babies, huh?
Se_eds Congratulations on the new great-grandbaby! It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration last night and anticipating another today. Its a wonderful life! My ham has been slow cooking too!
Kelli Yummy! I love food, but seafood holds a special place in my heart.er, stomach! LOL! How are the winds today?
Ric Methinks the cheesecakes were a hit! LOL!!

58.5 F / 14.7 C
Overcast
Humidity: 67%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 7.4 mph / 11.9 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m
Overcast 4500 ft / 1371 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. Slight chance of showers until late afternoon...then chance of showers. High 62. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent.

We're getting "mizzle" (mist/drizzle) now. This is all the show I think we're going to get from the poinsettias. I tried to keep it dry for the last month, but it received some rain so; no big bloomy show. :(

Thumbnail by MySharona

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #4325893

Merry Christmas to all my fellow weather watchers! Our day will be cloudy and warm (high 79), but hopefully no rain. My son is having 35 people over for dinner and they sure won't all fit in the house. So tables under the carport and around the pool for the overflow. If it does rain, it sure will be cozy in the dining room! LOL
(((hugs))) to one and all
Pati
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 25, 2007
3:57 PM

Post #4326067

Merry Christmas everyone! Feliz Navidad! Joyeux Noel!

It's a winter wonderland. That's wonder as in, "I wonder when was the last time it was this windy." This Van Nuys report doesn't tell it like it is at our house. The wind gusts have got to be over 40 mph.

Updated: 6:51 AM PST on December 25, 2007
53 F / 12 C
Clear
Humidity: 19%
Dew Point: 11 F / -12 C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the NNW
Wind Gust: 23 mph / 37 km/h / 10.3 m/s

A High Wind Warning remains in effect until 6 PM PST this afternoon.

Areas of north to northeast winds will increase to 30 to 40 mph
with gusts over 65 mph... with the strongest winds in the vicinity
of passes and canyons. Winds will slowly diminish late this
afternoon.

... Significant wind gusts since 634 am PST Tuesday...

Los Angeles County peak wind gust
Leo carrillo beach... ... ... ... ... ... ..northeast 49 mph.
Malibu Hills... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..north 45 mph.
Newhall pass... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..north 41 mph.
Saugus... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ..northeast 43 mph.
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2007
4:49 PM

Post #4326144

Sorry I didn't have time to check in yesterday with the last troll story - here it is :-)

Number 13 and the last one to arrive is Kertasnkir. He collects candles that have been "lost" ... for example on Christmas trees, advent wreaths, candlesticks etc... He's not too happy about tea lights though, he likes the "real kind" lol.

He brought the girls necklaces, books and a collector tin for the petshop pets (with a few pets to add to the collection).

Here Christmas arrives at 6 pm on the 24th so we had our Christmas dinner yesterday. We had a wonderful evening, the girls were thrilled and got to stay up past midnight playing with their new toys. Today is for relaxing and taking things slow, then we'll go to dinner at mom's (for the smoked lamb ;-) ).

We got a white Christmas - it rained a bit yesterday afternoon, but not enough to melt the existing snow, then it snowed last night and it's been snowing all day. The weather was beautiful around noon, but now the winds are picking up so the snow's blowing around and the trees aren't as pretty. It's 30F and the wind's blowing from the west at 31 mph gusting to 45 mph. It's the kind of weather we'd rather stay in than go anywhere actually ...

Hope all of you have a wonderful day. Merry Christmas!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 25, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #4326561

Merry Christmas everyone! Still fairy weather here !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 25, 2007
11:10 PM

Post #4326719

Most of the snow is melted but we already have a system headed our way and should be in the area by 7pm. Not alot of snow this time. :~)

Hope everyone is having a Merry Christmas!!

Currently: 43F Clear
Currently: 6C Clear
Wind: Southeast at 10 MPH
Dewpoint: 28F
Barometer: 29.93 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 37F
Wind: Southeast at 16 KPH
Dewpoint: -2C
Barometer: 1013 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: 2 C

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 25, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4326758

Merry Christmas everyone! It's now 32 and Dyson Dark here in N.W. Pa. We had some rare sunshine this afternoon and are expecting even more sunshine tomorrow with a high of 43.

We had 26 family members here for Christmas dinner today. It's chaotic at times and a lot of work but well worth it.

Photo...Christmas cookies anyone?

early_bloomer

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 26, 2007
12:02 AM

Post #4326792

Coooooookkkkiiiiieees!!!!! LOL.
KashtanGeorge
Sochi
Russia

December 26, 2007
8:31 AM

Post #4327527

I'm in Sochi now, just where the pic of themisty mountains was taken.
Making pics. I've also took pics of the stars in my valley on the Christmas night.

The weather update:
Wonerfull sunshine,
64.5 F
the sea is calm
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2007
10:05 AM

Post #4327539

dark 40, calm.

Relative Humidity: 65%
Pressure: 30.15in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 35F
Yesterday's High Temp: 50F
Dew Point: 27
Ceiling: Unlimited
Heat Index: 38
Wind Chill: 38
6hr Low Temp: 35F
6hr High Temp: 44F
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2007
1:22 PM

Post #4327685

Pati How did the dinner go? Hopefully it didnt rain! LOL!
Kelli The Santa Ana wind are back already? Hang on!
Rann Kertasnkir must have been happy with the candles he found in your home to leave so many wonderful presents! It sounds like yall had a wonderful Christmas day. So glad the girls are happy with their presents!
Adina Your pictures do look like a fairy land!
E_B I second Peppers Coooooookkkkiiiiieees!!!!! Beautiful set up too!
Juri We are anxiously awaiting your Sochi pictures!
Dyson Have you received any more rain?

47.7 F / 8.7 C
Overcast
Dew Point: 43 F / 6 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 5.8 mph / 9.3 km/h
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 1.5 miles / 2.4 kilometers
Clouds: Overcast 200 ft / 60 m

Today
Cloudy with patchy fog early this morning then becoming partly cloudy. High 63. Northwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

This is my big present - now I need to figure out what all the buttons are for and all the abbreviations mean! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2007

Post #4327690

The camera

Edited to add - the "rain" we received yesterday was minimal at best.

This message was edited Dec 26, 2007 8:26 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 26, 2007
2:06 PM

Post #4327821

Hey Sharon - wow that's a nice present :-)

Today's a holiday here too so we're still in relaxation mode :-) It's fairly calm, partly cloudy and lots of snow for the girls to play in :-) 32F.

Great photos everyone - and glad you all had a wonderful Christmas.

Rann
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2007
2:28 PM

Post #4327875

Rann - Thanks! I've got the Nikon web-site up and manuals to read :P

Our boss is feeling very generous this year. I've been off since 1:00pm on 12/22 and will be off through the 1st. I do have to work this Saturday (9-1) - I think I can handle it! LOL! This will be the last Saturday I will have to workYAY!
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2007
2:41 PM

Post #4327916

28 and totally calm and clear.
Going for 50 .
Maybe it's finally dried up enough for us to get the last of the leaves done.
We still need to finish insulating the fig and bananas.
Also need to get some mulch down on the paths.
W/ all this rain they are more mud slides than paths.

Well today is the first official day of my vacation.
The last two pays were paid Holidays...
I'll tell you what ... using 3 days vacation for 11 days off was a no brainer.
Next year we'll be closed for two weeks... I'm thinking CA for Christmas...

Speaking of CA did you hear a Tiger got loose at the San Francisco Zoo?
One man killed, two others mauled.. the Tiger was put down. Yikes!

Sharon that is a SERIOUS bit of Hardware there.
Santa was VERY good to you!
Try Nikonians.org for Nikon links.
Everything Nikon is there.

Off to get some Mulch (and hoping the LED Lights have gone on clearance...lol!)Here's our new 'Hose Bumpers'.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 26, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #4328006

No rain yet, but very overcast and promising. 44(F)

Ric - please explain "hose bumper"?
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 26, 2007
3:40 PM

Post #4328096

Good Morning the day after Christmas~
Today is my daughter's birthday and her husband will bringing home a cheesecake to put the candles on.
Mostly cloudy with flurries this Morning...Sun breaks this afternoon. Highs 5 to 15 above. Northeast wind 10 mph.
12*F; snowed most of the day yesterday so was wonderful. Today's gain of daylight will be 1m 6sec: see how quickly it begin to add? wow; and it does make you "feel" better, too.
Here's a link to today's photo of N.Lights over Pioneer Peak>(I missed the display, bummer)
http://www.adn.com/
Will get back on track soon~have a wonderful day,
Kiska
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2007
4:31 PM

Post #4328311

Dear Friends,
I have been so busy doing I just now got a chance to get here. As usual the pictures are beautiful and the chats are filled with great news from all of you.
It's been above freezing here and I hope it stays like that.
Lakshore, Jacksonville, Florida
Elevation: 25 ft / 7 m

47.7 F / 8.7 C
Overcast
Humidity: 92%
Wind: 0.1 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h
Pressure: 30.05 in / 1017.5 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 2.5 miles / 4.0 kilometers
Clouds: Overcast 300 ft / 91 m
(Above Ground Level)
Sidney

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2007
6:46 PM

Post #4328667

Good morning! My parents left this morning (sob, sob..) and are following a rain system across Louisiana. It's a pretty narrow band, so when they turn north into Mississippi on I-59 in a couple of hours they'll be in dry weather pretty quickly, but slogging through the storms in the meantime has been pretty icky.

We had a great visit with them... Grandma played countless silly games with the bunnies, and kept them entertained. Grandpa helped my dh build a new swingset/play fort in the backyard. It's not actually finished yet, but they got a lot done!

Christmas itself was very fun, of course. We're going to get some kitties from the animal shelter this weekend, so we wrapped a bunch of kitty accessories (food dishes, cat toys, books about taking care of cats, etc) for the bunnies to open, and then told them why at the end. The little bunny (age 4) was pretty clueless about the whole thing, but the 6 year old was looking very very confused until we explained it. LOL Now she's VERY excited, of course. She's been asking for a kitty for a long time. :-)

They got bicycles from my siblings, so we took them out in the afternoon. The big bunny did great. The little bunny found her bike a little scary and just wanted to push it up and down the sidewalk. LOL

Then Grandpa cooked bratwurst and hamburgers on the grill and I made a big salad. Yummm... Grandma started packing after dinner. I've only found a couple of things they left behind, which is amazing.. I'll probably find a few more things as I get the house straightened back out. They left early this morning before the bunnies woke up. (sniff, sniff)

Today the little bunny is clingy and the big bunny is whiny... I'm feeling sulky myself, so I'm sympathetic. :-) Right now they're watching one of their new movies and playing with their toys while I try to get caught up on my threads.

It's beautiful out right now.. Sunny and breezy. I should call Mom again and see how they are doing. They should be almost to Baton Rouge by now...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 11:53am CST (39 min ago)
Temperature 67 F 19 C
Dew Point 52 F 11 C
Humidity 58%
Pressure 29.87 in 1011.5 mb
Wind Speed 17 MPH
G 31 15 kts
G 27
Wind Dir WNW 300
Ceiling 3400 ft 1036 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
Remarks Peak Wind: 27 kts from 300 (17:48 GMT).
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 62.1F / 16.7C
6 hour max temperature ending 11:53am CST : 68.0F / 20.0C
3 hour precipitation ending 11:53am CST : 0.20"
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 26, 2007
8:07 PM

Post #4328859

Marylyn they are coming home to some beautiful weather.
It's 52 clear and dead calm.
I've been out in shirtsleeves all day.

Dyson those concrete cores are there so when we drag the hose around it 'bumps' into them and pays out..
Rather than sliding aross the flower beds.

Ric

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 26, 2007
8:38 PM

Post #4328948

E_B, yummy cookies, love it! Here's ours, traditional sponge cake for Christmas.
Greetings to everyone, glad you had a good time!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2007
10:23 PM

Post #4329200

Ric Thanks for the website. I needed that! Some of this stuff sounds like Greek to me. I really didnt expect to get this camera w/all the fixins! Its a D40X which came out less than a year ago.
Kiska Any day with cheesecake is a good day! LOL! Great link. The northern lights really put on a show for you.
Sidney Great to hear from you! Hope you had a great Christmas!
Marylyn Glad you had a great time with your parents! I always find (what I call) guest orphans after company leaves. The little things that find a way to snuggle into your home! How long will it take for your parents to drive home?
Adina The sponge cake looks delicious. Did you make the candleholders? They are so cute!

Our high today was changed from 63* to 59*. I got a lot done in the yard today. I keep forgetting Im not 20 anymore! Im beat LOL! Where's my advil?! I took this with the new camera - Prissy was worn out last night after her visit from Santy Paws.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 26, 2007
10:49 PM

Post #4329247

It takes about 22 hours to drive home for them. They're hoping to make it past Birmingham, Alabama tonight and then go home the rest of the way tomorrow. The rain hasn't let up yet, though, so we'll see. My dh will be drooling over your new camera, Sharon!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 26, 2007
10:56 PM

Post #4329269

10*/gray and white;
This is the daily earthquake report; they are w/in a couple hundred miles of Palmer. The distance from Palmer is listed after the location; the size is listed next; and only those of more than 2.5 are listed. Then comes time/date.
Denali National Park, AK 143 miles / 230 km 2.8 8:44 AM AKST 2007-12-26
Big Lake, AK 35 miles / 56 km 2.7 6:47 PM AKST 2007-12-25
Sunrise, AK 48 miles / 78 km 3.9 3:48 PM AKST 2007-12-25
Big Lake, AK 27 miles / 43 km 3.6 9:45 AM AKST 2007-12-25
Cantwell, AK 116 miles / 186 km 2.5 5:19 AM AKST 2007-12-25
Kasilof, AK 111 miles / 179 km 2.8 9:55 AM AKST 2007-12-23
MySharona~~the new camera does very well. Prissy looks awfully cute in the new bed.
Marylyn_TX~~those darn good-byes are sure hard to take; so glad the bunnies had a wonderful time making memories.
Ric~calm and clear; time to work on the project?
Adina~the cakes look so good; when will it be moving day?
Sugarweed-glad to see that it's stayed above freezing; the plants will be happier, too.
Hi KG~looking forward to the pics of Sochi.
E_B~~fantastic plates of cookies. We have 21 for holidays, can't imagine 27...
Rann~ it was fun waiting for Christmas with you, the girls and the stories, thanks so much.

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 26, 2007
11:09 PM

Post #4329306

Sharon: Oooh! LOVE the new camera! Great prezzy! Prissy looks very happy, too.
Rann: Holiday for me today, too. Back to work tomorrow. I've really enjoyed theses 6 days off. I could get used to it! THanks for sharing your troll stories with us.
Ric: I hope you'll use at least one of those 11 days to take it easy? You are one busy person!
Sidney: You, too. I hope you weren't too busy to emjoy the holiday.
Adina: Sponge cake looks yummy and pretty table setting, too.

It was a bit nippy today. damp and a high of 54. We got another 2" of rain overnight! That was great - of course - but my outside lights didn't like it and blew a fuse or something. Flipped all the circuit breakers but both the outside electrical plugs refuse to "put out"! :) Hope there won't be frost because those lights are plant-warmers! Oh well. You can push your zone, but you can't always win.

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the mid 30s. Northeast winds around 5 mph this evening...becoming light and variable.
Thursday
Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 60s. Not as cool. Light and variable winds...becoming east around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2007
1:00 AM

Post #4329540

MySharona, WOW, someone treated you REAL good! with that beautiful Nikon setup.

We had a beautiful warm Christmas and everyone left stuffed - with ziplock baggies full of ham. No way can my husb and I use up a 22 lb ham leftovers.
Today was very cloudy, only got up to about 33 degrees. Right now the weather is cloudy, raining a bit - about 33 degrees, and the septic tank stopped working. WoW - it is Christmas time. Man will be here tomorrow to fix it. Now you know, everybody had enough to eat. LOLOLOL.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4329587

Some snow on the ground now but only a dusting. Supposed to get accumulation in another system tomorrow. 3-5 inches.

Currently: 31F Mostly Cloudy
Currently: 0C Mostly Cloudy
Wind: North at 7 MPH
Dewpoint: 28F
Barometer: 29.93 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 24F
Wind: North at 11 KPH
Dewpoint: -2C
Barometer: 1013 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -4 C

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
1:30 AM

Post #4329657

My heart is heavy as my DXH, who I had been happily divorced from for 36 years, and who lived here 6 years until last June was found this morning in his room in Albq. He would have been 61 next February. I will miss him deeply.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #4329892

The weather was GREAT and we did nothing.
It topped out at 54 and is already down to 36 currently.
We really haven't done anything on the Project since last weekend.
Just took 5 days to relax and celebrate the Holiday.
We did hit HD and 2 Lowe's today looking for Holiday Lights.
The after Christmas Bargains were tremendous.
We bought enough LED Lights to redo the whole Christmas display.
We thought this would take years to do as they are SO costly.
But at 75% off... LOL!
Plus Robyn collects Christmas Village stuff... again at 75% off...
she got 10 more major pieces...

We have rain moving back in tonight thru Sunday...
maybe a little snow mix but I'd doubt it.
Temps should hold at about 5 degrees above normal Days and barely below freezing at Night.

Sharon if you need any help let me know.
I trained on Nikon's, 35 MM back then but it's basically the same Camera.
Plus I'm fairly good deciphering manuals... lol!

Sidney you've got Mail...

The Loot!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2007
2:27 AM

Post #4329932

Sugarweed~I am so sorry for your loss~ 36 years of friendship/divorce is a long history together; my condolences.
Jackie
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #4330002

Actually we had our 40th anniversery last April.
Thanks for all the sweet messages.
Sidney
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2007
2:55 AM

Post #4330079

Sorry to hear of your loss.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
4:24 AM

Post #4330366

(((((((((((((((Sidney)))))))))))))))))))) I'm so sorry.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
5:39 AM

Post #4330473

º

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2007
11:44 AM

Post #4330715

It is snowless here in cental Illinois right now. It rained a little about.05 in. last night about 10pm. I have been up most of the night. Woke up to no power from midnight to 3:30AM.
Temp is 34
No wind
Expecting a rain snow mix this evening. Happy New Year to all. BEV
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 27, 2007
12:04 PM

Post #4330731

We have a snow storm on the way. Over 4inches expected in some places.

Currently: 26F Fog
Currently: -3C Fog
Wind: North at 8 MPH
Humidity: 88%
Dewpoint: 23F
Barometer: 30.02 inches and steady
Wind: North at 12 KPH
Dewpoint: -5C
Barometer: 1016 millibars and steady

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007

Post #4330843

Sidney Were so sorry for your loss. Please let us know if there is anything we can doMy heart is breaking for you.
Marylyn How far did your parents get yesterday?
Kiska
Rann Again - Thank you for the stories. We enjoy our new tradition!
Deb Thanks! Im really enjoying the camera. Ill still use my Canon for my window shots! Did your plants survive the night? Did you check the fuses in the lights (there are usually some in the plug part)?
Se_eds Thats a lot of ham! LOL! Sounds like yall had a wonderful time together (excluding the septic tank part)!
Pepper Hows the snow? Pleeeeease post some pics!
Ric I do love a good sale and Clarence (clearance) is a dear friend of mine! LOL! Youll be able to decorate the neighborhood with all your loot! LOL! Its like Christmas after Christmas! Thanks! Ill take you up on that offer! At this point I think I need a course in all things Nikon Jeff is sitting on the recliner saying Nikonians Live Long and Prosper and doing the Vulcan salute!
Bev :O What caused the power outage? Stay warm.

52.2 F / 11.2 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 92%
Pressure: 30.09 in / 1018.8 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Today
Considerable cloudiness then partly cloudy late. Warmer. Patchy dense fog early in the morning. A 20% chance of showers in the afternoon. Local visibilities one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 64. South winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
2:38 PM

Post #4331043

I can see the sun thru some thin clouds out the window. Thanks to all the warm thought from you Sharon and every body.
Welcome to our thread Bev.
;)
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
3:36 PM

Post #4331252

Good morning! My parents made it to Tuscaloosa, Alabama. That's not quite as far as they were hoping to go, but the rain wouldn't let up, which made driving not much fun. They shouldn't get wet today... It's going to be overcast most of the day for them, but that's actually easier to drive in than blinding sunlight. :-)

Quoting:Jeff is sitting on the recliner saying Nikonians Live Long and Prosper and doing the Vulcan salute!

ROFLOL!!

Wow, Ric! You and Robyn made quite a haul! Charles gets me Christmas village buildings and accessories from Lowe's every year, so your buildings made me smile. :-) Next year the bunnies will be big enough that I can put my display back up again. I got tired of saying "No touching! No touching! Hey! Put that back! Gently!!" a couple of years ago and haven't pulled it back out of the storage tub in the attic. Of course, next year we'll also have the kitties... Hmmm...

Be careful, Pepper and Bev, and all the rest of you that are going to get snow! Or snow/rain mix... that's worse. :-P I hope your power stays on this time, Bev.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53am CST (41 min ago)
Temperature 43 F 6 C
Dew Point 36 F 2 C
Humidity 76%
Pressure 30.08 in 1018.6 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir ENE 60
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Current Conditions Clear
Remarks No remarks this hour.6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 34.0F / 1.1C

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 27, 2007
4:12 PM

Post #4331403

20*/dark, windy; snow will be blowing all over..
Strong wind through this afternoon...
Today
Variable clouds. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s. Northeast wind 20 to 30 mph with gusts to 45 mph.
welcome Bev~ have a good day; hope the power remains on...
MarylynnT_X~glad your parents are having a good trip home. Next year, the girls will love helping put together the village.
Ric~great looking stack of fun stuff for next year:)
MySharona~once again, you will have quite a mix of weather, it seems. Keeps it interesting doesn't it?
Sitting on her brother; seems they both are having a great time; yesterday.

Thumbnail by kiska

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 27, 2007
5:03 PM

Post #4331590

Sidney, I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm griefing for you .
Kiska, that's a sweet moment ! Still a long way to go with the house,we won't be moving anytime soon!
Sharon, you're doing a good job with the new camera, love your shots, especially the one with Prissy, so cute!Yes, I made the candleholders !
Marylyn, great you had your parents visit!
Deb, what a cute bird!
It's getting warm here, snow is melting, cloudy and so ugly!Especially I'm at work, second shift, ugh!
Here's another Merry Christmas from Boss and Betty, his friend from the park...it was still snowing!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2007
7:22 PM

Post #4331957

Power is still on. We had no storm. Wind is nill. Temp is34 and it is a little fogy out on the open road. We do not know what the problem was but there was about 2 thousand homes without power. Thanks for the welcome. You all sound like a great bunch. Looks like you all like to post pretty pics!! Me too. Bev Hope I do not send doubles!!!!

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2007
7:58 PM

Post #4332028

I'm back after being away for two full days. Seems like a lot longer than that when there is so much to catch up on. I won't try to comment on all the posts--you guys have been busy while I was away but it sounds like everyone had a good Christmas and plenty of food.
Sidney, I do want to say that I am sorry for your loss. (((((((((((((((((Sidney))))))))))))))))))
We spent the last two days at my MIL's. It snowed in parts of Arkansas the day after Christmas and MIL's place was included in that snow. It was very pretty to look at while it was coming down and thankfully, it didn't last very long. There was no accumulation on the roads so we drove home this morning, even though it was quite foggy in the higher elevations. We drove slowly, though, and made it home safe and sound.
Here is a pic from my MIL's back door after it had been snowing for about 30 minutes.

Thumbnail by marsue

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
7:59 PM

Post #4332031

Bev, that's a gorgeous picture!!

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 2:12 PM
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2007
8:01 PM

Post #4332035

and here is a pic of the sunrise through the trees at MIL's house yesterday morning before the snow started. She lives on a hill and there is a creek that runs behind her house at the bottom of the hill. You can see it in the lower portion of the picture.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2007
8:02 PM

Post #4332042

Thanks, Marylyn. We enjoyed watching it snow--the flakes were really big and fluffy--not the kind we usually get here in Arkansas.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 27, 2007
8:13 PM

Post #4332065

Ok, I'm starting to confuse myself... Yours are gorgeous, too, marsue! :-) I love looking at pictures of snow, now that I don't have to shovel it. :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2007
8:35 PM

Post #4332112

LOL, Marylyn. I guess we cross posted! good thing you edited your post to say "Bev".
BTW, welcome Bev!

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 27, 2007
9:12 PM

Post #4332181

Thank you Marsue, Love AR. We went through there on a motorcycle some years back. Here is another from last week. All gone!!!

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 27, 2007
11:16 PM

Post #4332520

That's another gorgeous photo, Bev. I love the way the evergreen trees look when covered with snow. However, I know that they can get so heavy-laden with snow that the branches sometimes break.

We are due to get more rain tonight and perhaps tomorrow. After that we should have several days without precipitation. It is about 38 F on my backporch right now.
See, Sidney, I learned how to make the degrees symbol! :o))
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2007
12:38 AM

Post #4332818

Adina~hope the time flies till it's time to move to the new home; Boss will love it there,won't he>
love the photos of winter; winter makes up a lot of the year and I never tire of seeing snowcovered scenes.
Marsue~way to go; I still haven't quite the right combination to get to a degree symbol.
Tonight
Mostly cloudy. A slight chance of snow after midnight. Lows in the mid teens to lower 20s. Northeast wind 25 mph in the evening diminishing toward morning.
Sunset in just a few minutes at 3:38; (it never showed through the clouds).
Kiska~our back yard; like today, but taken earlier. Has been "brightened".

Thumbnail by kiska

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #4332905

Marylyn Have your parents made it home yet? I think the girls will really enjoy helping you with the village next year.
Kiska This is how the day wentjeans & long sleeve shirts then shorts and t-shirt, now jeans and t-shirt! LOL! Its what we call wrap and peel weather. Your wx people probably use the same terminology. Your GKs are having a great time in that picture. Memories of me & my brother when we were 12 and I (for one season) was taller then him. He paid dearly for all the times he tortured me before that. LOL!! Great snow picture! I love it!
Deb I love the cardinal picture! Good Job!
Adina Boss is such a handsome boy!
Marsue Welcome back! We missed you! Sounds like you had a great time with your MIL. Love the snow pics!
Bev Thats some serious snow you have there! Pretty picture!

60.1 F / 15.6 C
Clear
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers

Tonight
Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Not as cool. Areas of fog after midnight. Low 54. Light southeast winds.

Thumbnail by MySharona

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 28, 2007
1:26 AM

Post #4333018

Sorry Sharon, no new snow pics yet. But I will grab the camera for tomorrow. Snow tonight and tomorrow so good time for pics. :~)

Currently: 24F Cloudy
Currently: -4C Cloudy
Wind: Northeast at 13 MPH
Barometer: 30.07 inches and steady
Wind Chill: 12F
Wind: Northeast at 20 KPH
Barometer: 1018 millibars and steady
Wind Chill: -11 C

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
1:39 AM

Post #4333081

Sharon, they're about 2 hours from home now, in West Virginia. I should tell them to wave at Joey. :-)
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
1:51 AM

Post #4333140

Beautiful Dec. Day. Temps in the forties. Septic Tank cleared up - guess I fed my guests too much to eat yesterday (LOL). We have had a beautiful holiday season with roads open and folks able to get where they are going. Acc. to the local weather guys, things will be much the same throughout New Years, Hope it cuts down on the highway carnage.

I did get to Walmart today to pick up prescriptions - they weren't overly busy. And gasoline is up again today. Hang on Snoopys! Spring will come and it doesn't cost anything to play in the dirt.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
2:07 AM

Post #4333226

Marylyn it should be smooth sailing for them.
There's no weather here at all to speak of...
Clear, Calm and Cool.
Radar shows clear in WV, KY and OH.
They coming up 35?

Well it's also 39 which is our normal High for this time of year.

Kiska, and others, the Snow shots are breath taking.
It takes a certain personality to deal w/ that much Winter though.
You'd have to love it.
I like Winter and the snow and the cold... but 2 or 3 months is enough for me. LOL!

Ric

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
2:18 AM

Post #4333297

They are coming up 77. (They live out in the boonies, northwest of Marietta.) They wanted to stop in Beckley, WV (http://www.tamarackwv.com/) and pick up some fancy coffee for my sister. :-)
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
1:12 PM

Post #4334253

I heard from Joey. Theyve been sick (even little JW) and a tree fell on the house. Im trying to get more info. Will let yall know as soon as I do.

Pepper Im looking forward to the snow pics! Thanks!
Se_eds Youre cracking me up! We have a septic tank too so I feel your pain.
Marylyn Cute store!

My DMIL went into the hospital last night. We're not exactly sure what is going on. Waiting on more information from Aunt Mary.

59.7 F / 15.4 C
Mostly Cloudy
Dew Point: 58 F / 14 C
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 5.0 miles / 8.0 kilometers
Clouds: Few 100 ft / 30 m
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft / 2438 m

Now
Through 9 am...areas of dense fog are expected across southeast Georgia and northeast Florida this morning. Visibilities are expected to continue to lower over the next couple of hours with some areas reduced down to one quarter of a mile visibility. Motorists and mariners should exercise caution where visibilities are reduced and use low beam headlights.

Today
Patchy dense morning fog early with visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Otherwise partly cloudy. High 74. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
2:04 PM

Post #4334379

Sharon, Prissy has such a hard life--poor thing! LOL
---and please do keep us informed about Joey and her family when you hear from her.
Marylyn--shame on you for tempting us with that link to the wonderful store! I'm going to go back over there and browse some more. Did your parents make it home yet? I'm sure the bunnies are missing their grandparents!
Se_eds, so glad the septic tank is working properly. Having had one for years until this past year (moved to the city), I can relate. LOL
Kiska, your grandkids were certainly having a good time in all that snow. That fire in the little stove certainly looked warm, too! I love the feel of wood heat--there is nothing like it.

It rained for a while,starting about 3:30 a.m. --Has stopped now and is supposed to clear off later--sure hope it does!

Detailed Local Forecast
Today: A shower or two around the area early, then partly cloudy during the afternoon. High 49F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Tonight: Cloudy intervals. Low near 30F. Winds NW at 5 to 10 mph.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
2:24 PM

Post #4334446

LOL!
Boneless Boston!

Hope everything is OK at Joey's!

We're at 43 where it will stay all day... as will the rain or should I say drizzle...
Maybe some light snow by morning but I'd doubt it.
I did get some new Mulch Nuggets down on the paths yesterday.
W/ the rain and the dog and us moving construction stuff they were a muddy mess.
Still need about 6 more bags (we couldn't fit anything more in the Car w/ all that Loot) but walking should be a little better.

Looks like my Friends visiting JAX will be getting some nice weather.
Sharon it looks like you're going to get a nice Arctic blast (for you...lol!)
in the middle of the week!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2007
2:58 PM

Post #4334557

Sweet Prissy looks just like I felt after the BIG Christmas dinner! LOL The weather was perfect, gifts exchanged, huge amounts of food eated and many games of horseshoe played by the young'uns.

It seems we had our "winter" of two nights of 44 with days of 60's. Now we are back into "above average highs in the high 80's". We haven't had enough cool weather to kill back the wild Florida grapevines that grow on my fence so it looks like a jungle out there.

I have big Poinsettias in my window box (still in their pots) but they are being outshown by a big basket of red and white Petunias from my DD. Somehow it seems like a typical Florida Christmas display!
Pati

Sugar, you've got mail.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
3:00 PM

Post #4334564

Marylyn - I agree with marsue! What a great store! LOL!
marsue - send that rain South!
Ric - What a beautiful kitty! Your friends are in for a nice visit away from the cold and snow! Jax will be in the 70's for the next couple of days. Here is the 7 day forecast:

http://www.firstcoaststormtrack.com/cgi-bin/weather/hw3.cgi?config=&forecast=zandh&place=jacksonville&state=fl&zipcode=32202&country=us&maxdays=7&daysonly=2

You should have heard prissy snoring. OMG - she was sawing some major logs! We couldn't believe all that noise was coming out of the little girl! LOL!

Edited for typo

This message was edited Dec 28, 2007 10:01 AM
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 28, 2007
3:05 PM

Post #4334579

Ric, what a beautiful kitty!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2007
3:47 PM

Post #4334680

17*F/dark till 10:16am. Sunset: 3:39 w/gain of 1m30s.
Today
Areas of light snow developing with little or no accumulation. Highs in the upper teens to mid 20s. Northeast wind 15 to 30 mph in the morning becoming light.
Joey~hope things begin improving for your family;
MySharona~ "wrap and peel" is a new term for me. Nothing quite that colorful here, just "dress in layers". Prissy has is made:)) That is one relaxed puppy.
Ric~garden path sounds very nice. Your kitten looks quite happy in the box, kinda like toddlers; love the box the gift came in as much as the gift itself.
Marylyn_TX~sounds like the trip home has been a good one for your parents; great.
pattischell~your Christmas display sounds beautiful; the thought of poinsettias outdoors just sounds awesome.
marsue~the wood fire is nice; love to use it year-round; sounds like a pretty good day down there to be indoors watching a movie...
se_eds~glad the septic is taken care of; we too, have septic and so far,so good.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
4:18 PM

Post #4334779

Sharon, please let Joey know we're praying for them... I hope not too much damage was done to their house. We're praying for your MIL, too.

Mom & Dad made it home safely last night. :-) The bunnies definitely miss them - me, too. I kept mentioning a house around the corner that is for sale, but they didn't take the hint. They have 7 grandkids in Columbus (Ohio) and only our two down here. I don't think I could talk dh into having 6 more so we outnumber them. It's worth a try, though... (Just kidding.. mostly. LOL)

It rained last night, but has cleared up now. It's going to be in the upper 30s tonight and back up into the 60s tomorrow. Looks like a nice weekend. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 9:53am CST (24 min ago)
Temperature 55 F 13 C
Dew Point 43 F 6 C
Humidity 63%
Pressure 30.13 in 1020.4 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 24 11 kts
G 21
Wind Dir NNW 340
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 53.1F / 11.7C

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2007
4:58 PM

Post #4334902

Today is just about like yesterday here. Cloudy, a little bit of fog, but has been raining. Calling for 2inches of snow this evening but is a litte breezy and 40 outside. I do not know how to make the degree sign!! Marylynn are you on central standard time in Texas?? BEV
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
5:01 PM

Post #4334911

Yes, we're in Central Time. :-)

If you have a PC (as opposed to a Macintosh), you can make a degree sign by holding down the Alt key and pushing 0176 on the keypad to the right of the letters. It won't work with the numbers on the top of the letters.

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2007
6:10 PM

Post #4335121

Thanks Marylynn!! Have a good one. BEV
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 28, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #4335139

17 OMGosh; it worked:)))
Thanks, Marylyn. Glad the trip ended well for your parents.
Still dark for another 1 1/2 hours~~
Hi Bev~so glad you asked about the symbol...
Kiska

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 28, 2007
6:36 PM

Post #4335203

Hi! kiska, You have a good one too. BEV
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2007
6:58 PM

Post #4335257

Hi everyone!

Today was a pretty nice day - it was partly cloudy and very cold, it was 14F early this morning, our high was 28F which is the current temperature as well now at 6:30 pm. It's been just a bit breezy, 11 mph gusting to 20 mph, so a really nice day to go out in the snow. Selma went out for a bit, but Hildur Eva's got a cold and a bit of a fever again so she had to stay inside. It's not much, she's feeling ok, she just can't go outside. Yesterday was pretty much the same, a bit breezier maybe. I went for a swim and it was ... well, interesting. The first time I've been to the pool in freezing temps and with the breeze it was quite cold! lol

Sidney - I'm so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. (((((hugs))))))

Sharon - great photos :-) Prissy looks so cute in her new bed :-)

Deb - gorgeous photo of the Cardinal :-)

Bev - beautiful snow photos :-)

Kiska - looks like the gkids are having a blast!

Marylyn - sounds like your parents had a wonderful stay with you and you all enjoyed it! It's always hard to say goodbye. Too bad they live so far away ... 22 hour drive wow!

You're all most welcome for the Christmas troll stories - I've enjoyed sharing them with you :-) Christmas day is always a bit tough here since all the presents have been unwrapped and no more treats in the shoes ;-)

edited to add - this photo was taken on Christmas day when the wind was starting up.

Hope you all have a great day :-)

Rann

This message was edited Dec 28, 2007 6:59 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 28, 2007
7:02 PM

Post #4335266

Ric - sorry it took me so long but here's finally a photo of the fried "leaf bread" ;-) Those "hose bumpers" are a really good idea btw ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
7:45 PM

Post #4335343

Thanks Rann they look delicious!
Now I have a photo to put w/ my (your) recipe.

Another easier way to get the symbol is just copy it from one of the posts you read.
Then just Control +v your way thru your post when you need it.

It's Currently 42 and Dreary...

Ric
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 28, 2007
9:15 PM

Post #4335554

Rain, and good rain, hope it continues for awhile. 47.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
9:54 PM

Post #4335664

Thanks rann.
Seeds a plugged septic is about the only time a flush beats a full house.;)
The tree on Joey's house is awful. Prayers that it gets fixed better than new. Also hope for speedy recovery.
DB and I went for a short scenic drive.
Ate lunch outside.
Gonna get down to 55º tonight.
Sidney

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 28, 2007
10:28 PM

Post #4335774

OMG, that is awerful, poor Joey and JW! Praying for them all !I'll be thinking of you, Joey and your family!
Sharon, thanks for the news , Prissy is so sweet and "busy" !LOL I'll post a picture with lights on the cottages alley, in the park.
Sidney thanks for the update on Joey. How are you feeling ? I've been praying and thinking of you too!
Guys, I'm sorry I can't stay, I'm too sleepy, I worked today!
HUgs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 28, 2007
10:32 PM

Post #4335791

OK, another one, as looking from inside the park.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 28, 2007
11:06 PM

Post #4335909

Wow, Ric, that Ctrl +v "thingie" works! See, y'all: How about that? Will it work from now on, Ric, or do I have to copy it from another post every time I want to use it? Love the pic of your white kitty, Ric,
also, Kiska and Rann--your snow pics. Rann, that leaf bread looks yummy!
Adina, the cottage alley pics are very festive looking!
Dyson, I sent our rain your way! Enjoy! LOL
Sharon, hope you get some rain, too.

Current conditions as of 4:55 pm CST

Partly Cloudy
Feels Like: 39
Barometer: 30.07 in and rising
Humidity: 66%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: 33
Wind: W 10 mph
Sunrise: 7:15 am
Sunset: 5:04 pm
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2007
11:22 PM

Post #4335946

Gonna just put in my forecast and then go back and read. :)

Tonight
Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 50s.
Saturday
Cloudy. A slight chance of showers in the morning...then a chance of showers with a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 70s Chance of rain 50 percent.

Whoa! 50% chance! I'm gonna get spoiled! LOL.
Deb
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 28, 2007
11:35 PM

Post #4335985

Currently 71.F. Very mild. They say we're in for our 2nd actual freeze early next week.
Sharon: That Prissy's so cute. That's a dog who know how to unwind!
Joey: hope all is ok with you and yours.
Ric: Love the cat-in-the-box! What is it about cats and boxes?
Kiska: Very snowy! You can hardly see your mountain.
Rann: You Icelanders are hardy folks! Swimmin outdoors in freezing temps! I don't think even Kiska would try that, would you Kiska? (The leaf bread looks wonderful.)
Adina: That park is so lovely with the lights dripping from the trees. Makes me almost wish for snow here. (almost)
Pati: We also had a couple of days of winter and now are above normal again. It's nice not to shiver, but the plants are very confused.
Deb
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 28, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #4336021

My MIL is in critical condition and life support in PA. Jeff is going up first thing in the morning and depending on whats going on Ill be following on Sunday or Monday. I havent heard from Joey yet. Im hoping and praying all is good on her end.

Kiska & Rann Its freezing just doesnt quite sound right! Its more than freezing in your areas. Brrrrrr!
Marylyn Its going to be Sunday night before we get the cool down.
Rann Youre still me hero for swimming in the cold! LOL! I hope Hildur Eva feels better soon. Poor baby. : ( The leaf bread looks delicious and very pretty!
Adina The pictures of the park are great! Its so festive!

66.0 F / 18 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 81%
Dew Point: 60 F / 16 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Clouds: Few 4100 ft / 1249 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 59. South winds 5 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 29, 2007
12:47 AM

Post #4336182

Sharon: So sorry to hear your MIL is so sick. Saying a prayer for her...
Deb
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #4336220

Thanks Sharon - so sorry to hear about your MIL - my prayers are with her too.

Deb - before you get any visions of me breaking the ice off the pool before diving in - it's heated so once you're in it's not that bad ;-) LOL I was a bit worried about catching yet another cold but so far so good ... ofcourse since Hildur Eva's got one I'm bound to catch it too eventually ... ;-)

Ric - where did you find the recipe?? I'm intrigued ;-) lol

Hope you all have a good night!

Rann
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #4336305

Goodness sakes! I go on vacation and everything with you guys falls apart! Here's prayers for everyone all around.

We went up to Cambria, CA for a few days. It was rather chilly up there (jacket needed unless really exerting oneself). It must have been chilly down here, too. It was 59F in the house when we got home. O.K., my idea of chilly is pretty wimpy.

Updated: 4:51 PM PST on December 28, 2007
51 F / 11 C
Overcast
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 36 F / 2 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSE

Just try to keep me out of the tidepools. :-) (I'll have more pictures later today or tomorrow.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2007
2:13 AM

Post #4336465

We had a niec little snow storm this morning. Came early morning while most of us are asleep and lasted til 9am or so. Got about 2-3 inches here at the house and at work.

Currently: 17F Clear
Currently: -8C Clear
Humidity: 84%
Dewpoint: 13F
Barometer: 30.07 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 7F
Humidity: 84%
Dewpoint: -10C
Barometer: 1018 millibars and rising
Wind Chill: -13 C

Sharon, here's your snow!! Sorry to hear about your MIL too.

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
2:37 AM

Post #4336567

Rann here's the recipe page.

http://www.isholf.is/gullis/jo/breads.htm

Let me know if that's how you do it.

Adina that's one beautiful park!!

Kelli I think I like Tide Pool shots better than Snow shots at this point.
Maybe if we'd get some snow... I could get in a better winter frame of mind.
I hate cold weather w/o snow... what's the point? lol!

It's 46 (Wind Chill 41) here and the rain is gone again.
We're been getting on again off again showers for some time now.
The water table is finally back up to near normal after that August/Sept drought.
It would be impossible to have any wild fires here now.
It's like Washington in the woods.
Should be some good 'shrooming this Spring!

Pepper that's about all the snow we've had all winter.
Looks pretty!

Ric
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2007
2:41 AM

Post #4336591

Sharon give Jeff my wishes for a safe trip and that his DM comes thru with flying colors. If I can do anything let me know.
Sidney
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 29, 2007
2:42 AM

Post #4336594

That's all you've had?? I think we have had at least a foot this month. lol. Snow every week/weekend. I am enjoying it though. Been a long time since we had the snow spread out like this.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
2:49 AM

Post #4336626

Yep! One snow that lasted about 8 hours before the rain set in...
that's the pictures I sent a few weeks back.
Dayton just 50 miles north has really gotten some good snows.
We just keep getting Rain and more Rain.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
4:37 AM

Post #4336961

Pepper, 17F? Too much for me, or rather, too little for me.

Some kind of strange erosion.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
4:38 AM

Post #4336965

The obligatory Pacific sunset picture

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
4:40 AM

Post #4336970

Some more sea anemones and tegulas (the black snails)

Thumbnail by Kelli

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
4:46 AM

Post #4336983

wow, it's so nice to be back & see sugarweed has kept this wonderful weather thread going [hugs again to you dear!]

we have really missed keeping up with the worldwide weather & gogeous photos!

Happy New Year to everyone...

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
4:52 AM

Post #4336993

thanks Kelli, always l.ove your pics
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2007
5:56 AM

Post #4337100

Welcome back, Tamara Faye!!! It's so good to see you! :-) How is your little one doing?

Sidney, that was SOOOO baaaad!!! ROFLOLOLOLOL It's just as well I wasn't drinking something.. this is a new keyboard!

Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear about your MIL. I'll be praying for Jeff's trip, and your possible one.

Kelli, your pictures are gorgeous, as always! Those sea anemones are amazing..
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2007
11:56 AM

Post #4337323

That's a beautiful photo Pepper :-)

Kelli - welcome back! Glad you had a good trip :-) Very neat photos of the tide pools and gorgeous sunset :-)

Ric - thanks for the link - I'll check it out after I post this ;-)

Hi Tamara Faye - nice to meet you :-)

Here's one from Christmas Eve - between dinner and desert ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2007
12:44 PM

Post #4337363

41(F) - rain gauge at 3.4 inches (overnight gain of inch), overcast.

Relative Humidity: 93%
Wind: 0 (N) at 3mph
Pressure: 30in
Yesterday's Precip: 0.71in
Yesterday's Low Temp: 33F
Yesterday's High Temp: 45F
Dew Point: 45
Visibility: 9mi
Ceiling: 2900ft
Heat Index: 47
Wind Chill: 47
6hr Precip: 0in
6hr Low Temp: 43F
6hr High Temp: 48F

Thumbnail by Dyson

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 29, 2007
1:01 PM

Post #4337381

Good morning!

Ric - that's a very good link - the recipe looks right. I've never made it from scratch since it's so much work but as I wasn't quite happy with the ones I bought this year I might try it next year from scratch. The recipe is big enough for a whole extended family get together I think, so a fraction of it would be enough if you'd like to try it. The main thing is to make sure the dough doesn't dry out and that the cakes are thin enough (back when flour was scarce you were supposed to be able to read the bible through them, but a newspaper heading would be thin enough I guess ;-) lol

It's cloudy today, doesn't look very breezy, 6 mph with 13 mph gusts, current temperature at 12:42 pm is 30F, it was 16F at 7 am. We've got a storm coming tomorrow with wind and rain, so that will probably be the end of the snow :-( The forecast doesn't look very good for New Year's Eve - rain and wind.

Hope you all have a good day!

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
1:36 PM

Post #4337428

Here are the current conditions as of 6:55 am CST

Fair
Feels Like: 25
Barometer: 30.20 in and steady
Humidity: 90%
Dewpoint: 23
Sunset: 5:05 pm

I'll be back after I go through and read the latest posts.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2007
1:37 PM

Post #4337429

Thank you all for the well wishes of my MIL. Jeff is on his way to Pitt now. The last we heard (late last night) is the Dr. is watching her kidneys. Shes had diverticulitis for a long time. Apparently everyone thought she had the flu these last couple of days, but she had an infection in her colon. They removed of her colon yesterday and been in ICU and on life support since. Ive not heard anything since late last night.

On another note, my Baxter is sickly again. Im not sure whats going to happen there either.

Kelli Thank God you are back, maybe things will settle back down! LOL! Great pics!
Pepper Snow! YAY!! I love it!
Sidney Thank you Ill let Jeff know when he calls. His flight arrives in Pitt around 10:30.
Tamara Faye Nice to meet you and welcome back!
Rann You have a lovely home! Selma is very busy in the picture! Shes so pretty.
Dyson Send some of that rain down here! LOL!

63.7 F / 17.6 C
Fog
Humidity: 95%
Dew Point: 62 F / 17 C
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5.8 km/h
Visibility: 0.2 miles / 0.4 kilometers

Now
Through 9 am...areas of dense fog will reduce the visibilities to a quarter of a mile or less. Motorists should remain alert for rapid changes in visibilities and use only low-beam headlights in fog. The fog begin to burn off by mid-morning.

Today
Widespread dense fog early in the morning. Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and isolated thunderstorms in the afternoon. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. High 78. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 29, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #4337462

Sharon: sorry to hear about your MIL. I'll be praying for her and you and Jeff and the rest of the family.
Pepper: I love that snow shot. I don't remember us having so much snow the year we lived in North KC but that was back in 1963-64 before you were born! LOL
Kelli: I love your photographs of the sea creatures in those tidewater pools. The next time I visit my brother in CA, I want to look you up and let you take me around to some of the places you photograph--Is it a deal?
Rann: Selma is a beautiful little lady and your dinner table was beautifully set, too.
Hi, Tamara Faye! Nice to meet you!

We had a heavy frost last night. There is still frost "on the punkins" or should I say flowers, LOL. However, the SUN IS SHINING!!! No clouds in sight--HOORAY!!!

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2007
2:17 PM

Post #4337502

Well, it's so nice to have Tamara, who I affectionally call "Fritch" come by here. About this time last year I was visiting her in Fritch. It's in the Texas Panhandle where I was raised. She took my cousin to the Amarillo airport so she could come visit me. My DB leaves tomorrow and then I have my cousin until Jan 29th. I let him have my bed, so I'll be glad to get off the sofa.
I have some extra winter precautions for next wed when the temps are supposed to be in the 20s-YUCK!!!
Marylyn, glad you liked my LOL.
I have end of year things todo.
Many hugs to all of you.
Prayers for Jeff's DM.
Sidney

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2007
4:34 PM

Post #4337903

Well it is sat. again. It is cloudy with a little sun shineing through once in a while. Sunshine gives me energy. Winds are light from the south west and temp is 34. Expecting colder weather after Sun. You all have a good one. BEV This is a week ago.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 29, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #4337931

53(F), overcast, DHC on the hood of the toyota. If I could find my camera - I would take a pic.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 29, 2007
8:19 PM

Post #4338534

Dragon, that's a great picture!
Sharon, sorry for your DMIL, I'll be praying for her. Great blooms on your cactus!
Rann, what a beautiful Christmas picture!
Kelli, your pics are interesting as always, love those anemones!
Sidney, it's good you are busy! How are you ?
Deb, Ric, Marsue, Pepper, Marylyn, Dyson hi to you all!
I hope Joey is well and the family too !
It's been snowing again, but with so small snowflakes, like powder. Not much snow on the ground. Sun was behind the clouds!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 29, 2007
9:33 PM

Post #4338661

16*F~~cloudy/gray but light out.
Cloudy with flurries. Highs in the 20s. North to northeast winds 10 to 20 mph with local gusts to 30mph.
Kelli~love the Pacific Ocean sunset; the tide pools are wonderful, too.
MySharona~so sorry about MIL; difficult time for sure and hope everything will be ok.
Hi and welcome back Tamara Faye.
rann~the Christmas scene is beautiful...nice memories.
There are hot springs up at Fairbanks, but no outdoor pools here. Don't know if I'd try anyway:)) Sounds a bit intimidating.
Dyson~wish you'd find the camera; bet it would have been a cute pic...
marsue~with frost on the flowers, and sunshine; makes for a great day.
Sugarweed~in the 20's; that's getting pretty cold isn't it~
Adina~the sun looks almost the moon in that photo, very pretty.
Bev~very pretty; glad you've got some sunshine~
hi Marylynn~
Been browsing on the currants, raspberry canes and tips of birch and apple trees.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2007
9:58 PM

Post #4338712

Beautiful moose pic Kiska, I bet you see things like this all the time. All other pics are good too you guys. Well the breeze has stopped, sky is clearing just before evening. The temp is 40 it is starting to dry out. Do not see any rain or snow for a few. Have a good one all. BEV Dreaming of camping next Spring!!!

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
10:30 PM

Post #4338759

Marsue, you're welcome to come over next time you visit your brother. Where does he live?

Sharon, what hospital is your MIL in? My sister used to work in a hospital in Pittsburgh. I think it was Allegheny General. She was a genetic counselor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_counselling

Weather here is not all that nice, but not all that bad, either, but like Ric and his cold-but-no-snow, if it's going to be in the 50s, it might as well rain. Cool, dry weather is pretty pointless. I mean, who or what does it benefit?

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on December 29, 2007
57 F / 14 C
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 41 F / 5 C

Back to Cambria - We've been there many times so I didn't take very many large range scenery pictures. Instead, I took some vignettes for you guys. This series is from San Simeon State Park.

Monterey pine cones

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
10:34 PM

Post #4338768

coastal wood fern - maybe

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
10:35 PM

Post #4338771

coffeeberry

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
10:36 PM

Post #4338773

lichens

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
10:38 PM

Post #4338777

common sword fern - I think

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
10:40 PM

Post #4338781

These things were all in the Monterey pine forest. In the foreground of the picture is a seasonal wetland. A boardwalk goes over the wetland so we didn't have to walk in it, but it looked completely dry. The things with yellow leaves in the middle ground are willows. We don't have big weeping willow type willows, just large shrubs like you see here.

This message was edited Dec 29, 2007 2:42 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
10:50 PM

Post #4338812

This is a building in Cambria. It is probably the most substantial building in town. I am under the impression that both parts where built to be a bank around 1910. Now, the part on the left is a restaurant and the part on the right is an art gallery. (This picture here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BurtonDrive_CambriaCA.jpg is more characteristic of Cambria architecture.)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 29, 2007
10:52 PM

Post #4338822

Oops, the picture didn't make it. Let's try again.

Thumbnail by Kelli

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
1:42 AM

Post #4339288

Bev, Adina, Kiska: great photos all!
Kelli, I love your vignettes and the pretty building. My brother lives in Fountain Valley which is south of you, I think. Have you ever been to the aquarium in Long Beach? I would like to go there the next time we visit CA. I think you can see the aquarium in this photo. It is the building with the fish painted on the outside of it.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
1:46 AM

Post #4339294

Whoops, guess I should have said that it is the building to the far right in the photo. I took that photo of the Long Beach skyline from the deck of the Queen Mary two years ago.
Here's another one. I call this photo "Buddy and Marilyn at the Queen Mary". My DH is Buddy and my name is Marilyn. You'll understand the little joke when you see the photo. LOL

edited to say "That's my Buddy in the blue jacket."

This message was edited Dec 29, 2007 7:48 PM

Thumbnail by marsue

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #4339326

Thanks for the critique of that recipe site Rann.
It's always good to have 'native's' look at a cultural recipe before I try making it.
I'm part Greek and it sounds like you treat the dough just like Phyllo .
In fact we rolled it on wax paper cushioned w/ newspaper until you read the headlines.
It too must be covered w/ a damp cloth or it dries in a heartbeat.

tf ,
WELCOME BACK Buddy!!
Good to hear from you again!

Must be Winter there's Moose on the Loose!!!! lol!
That's some big ugly critters but I smile every time I see your pics of them Kiska.

We left this morning at 10:30 for or Family Christmas dinner up in Kettering.
It was 42 here and Sunny... I loaded the car in shirtsleeves.
When we got up there (a one hour drive) it was 32 and Cloudy ... Brrrrrrrrr!
It's 36 here (back at home) now.

Looks like we may be in for a ride weatherwise.
Tomorrow and Monday should be right at 50.
Tues and Weds we're looking at 31 for a High w/ snow Tues.

Ric
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 30, 2007

Post #4339349

Just got back from Iowa a couple hours ago. Went saw some family up there today. Looong trip it felt like. The sun was reflecting off the snow blinding us most of the trip so that made us a bit tired too. lol.

Currently: 25F Clear
Currently: -3C Clear
Wind: South at 3 MPH
Humidity: 78%
Dewpoint: 19F
Barometer: 30.02 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 21F
Wind: South at 4 KPH
Humidity: 78%
Dewpoint: -7C
Barometer: 1016 millibars and rising

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
3:07 AM

Post #4339581

Wow you guys have been busy - must be Saturday! We are having spring like weather here today and the house is QUIET! My Husb and I looked at each other today and said - where did they all go? Happens every Christmas and I wouldn't change a thing about the "full House" We are currently a balmy 34 deg. Was a great outdoors day today! Rain/snow mix for New Years Eve - then temps plunging for later this week.

Well, it is wintertime!
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 30, 2007
3:32 PM

Post #4340568

44, drizzling rain, gauge at 3.45 inch

Thumbnail by Dyson

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 30, 2007
4:43 PM

Post #4340740

7:30am~dark 17*F
Light snow ending this afternoon with partial clearing. Snow accumulation less than 1 inch. Highs in the teens. Light winds.
se_eds~quite a mix of weather for your area; sure hate the mix of rain/snow..I know what you mean about a houseful~love it, too.
Dyson~nice to see that you're getting the much needed rainfall.
Kiska
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2007
9:17 PM

Post #4341577

Will catch up tomorrow on all the posts. Had 2 unexpected guests show up yesterday! When it rains it pours! LOL!

Kelli - MIL is at UPMC - St. Margarets which is very close to her home (good thing too).

Your prayers are working, please continue praying for her. MIL is doing a little better. She is on major antibiotics right now, still in ICU and on life support. The life support is mainly so she can rest while the antibiotics do their work. Her heart and lungs are in excellent condition, but they are watching her kidneys for any signs of failuer. There was a blood clot in her colon, this was causing the problems and the reason for the 3/4 colon removal. I won't go into the details (yuck). The Dr did say that if Aunt Mary hadn't stopped by the house when she did MIL would had passed on soon. The Dr. is keeping her is a light sleep most of the time.

Thank you so much for your support - it means a lot!

OH - It's RAINING!!

66.2 F / 19.0 C
Light Rain Mist
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 63 F / 17 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 6.9 mph / 11.1 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Scattered Clouds 2600 ft / 792 m

Now
Through 415 PM...scattered showers and isolated thunderstorms continue to develop over northeast Florida. The strongest showers are moving into areas near Ocala, Gainesville, Alachua, Palatka, Macclenny, Taylor, Jacksonville Airport, Folkston and St Marys. The showers are moving northeast at 15 to 20 mph. Expect brief gusty winds dangerous lightning and heavy downpours with thunderstorm activity. Heavy downpours of rain will produce ponding water on roadways.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy. Chance of showers and slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening...then a slight chance of showers after midnight. Patchy fog after midnight. Low 54. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph shifting to the northwest after midnight. Chance of rain 50%.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 30, 2007
9:29 PM

Post #4341602

Sharon: good news about your MIL. Prayers continuing for her and the family, too.
and I am assuming that you want the rain?

Current conditions as of 2:55 pm CST

Fair
Feels Like: 54
Barometer: 29.94 in and steady
Dewpoint: 34
Wind: SW 6 mph
Sunset: 5:05 pm

It was about 52F on our backporch a little bit ago but it is somewhat windy so it feels cooler than that to me. The sun is shining again today which is a big plus!

I took a picture of the only thing blooming in our flowerbed at this time: a pansy.

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

December 30, 2007
10:21 PM

Post #4341717

Good evening!

It's been a very windy and wet day here today - got lots of rain and on top of that most of the snow has melted so that's a lot of water! lol It was very windy this morning - 49 mph gusting to 76 mph ... that's a storm! lol One of the panes in the greenhouse shattered ... but DH was able to find a replacement and fix it today :-) It was a good thing the temperature was above freezing or my plants would have been in trouble ;-) lol
Today's high was 46F, it's now 39F. It's still blustery but not as bad as this morning,
35 mph gusting to 53 mph.

Things aren't looking too good for tomorrow night, so there might not be quite the same fireworks bonanza as last year ... although there are some people that go out no matter what! lol Which is a good thing for the rest of us who get to enjoy it but don't want to go out in a storm to light fireworks ...

Sharon - glad your MIL is in stable condition - my prayers are with her and your family.

Marsue and Kelli - great photos :-)

Kiska - love the moose! lol Do you ever have to prune your trees/shrubs or is that taken care of for you? ;-) lol

Have a good night all!

Rann

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
12:31 AM

Post #4342047

Very cloudy and temps up to 35 degrees today. About 4 PM starting to rain and sleet and snow. Right now we are getting BIG snowflakes. The weatherman promised less than an inch-wrong- if this keeps up all night at this rate, tomorrow will be a snowblower day. We will be safe and happy at home. My husband and I have enjoyed good health this year and are warm, dry and fed. We are blessed to have enough.

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
1:08 AM

Post #4342199

Updated: 3:51 PM PST on December 30, 2007
60 F / 16 C
Haze
Humidity: 57%
Dew Point: 45 F / 7 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the SE

These pictures are from Limekiln State Park. This is about the southernmost that redwoods grow in the wild. This is about 50 miles up the coast from Cambria. It was surprisingly dark in the forest. It was also pretty chilly, 43F in the coldest spot.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4342205

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
1:10 AM

Post #4342207

This is called redwood sorrel. It's all over the place.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
1:12 AM

Post #4342214

The place had been logged at least once before. I think the last time was in the 1930s, but I can't find any information on that now. The current trees have grown from the base of the trees that were cut, so the trees are in clumps.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
1:14 AM

Post #4342217

This is a limekiln, or rather, what's left of a limekiln. Limestone was made into lime here in the 1880s and shipped up to San Francisco to make concrete.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
1:15 AM

Post #4342221

California bay tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #4342223

Currently: 28F Clear
Currently: -2C Clear
Wind: Southwest at 9 MPH
Humidity: 63%
Dewpoint: 17F
Barometer: 29.81 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 19F
Wind: Southwest at 14 KPH
Humidity: 63%
Dewpoint: -8C
Barometer: 1009 millibars and rising

Thumbnail by pepper23

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #4342226

Though the trees are not all that old, some are pretty substantial. Someone wanted to log back in 1989 (before this was a park) but the powers-that-be shot that down.

Thumbnail by Kelli

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
1:58 AM

Post #4342347

Kelli that is so perfect it looks fake.
Like a beautifully crafted movie set.
What a marvelous place!

I'd love some of that Sorrel to add to my Oxalis collection.
How nice!

Thanks for the shots.
BTW do they pronounce it Lime-Kill or Kiln out there?

It's 32 and clearing here.
No wind at all... so no Wind Chill

It's actually 34 w/ 10 MPH winds and w/ freezing drizzle just 40 miles north of us.

Hoping for 50 tomorrow... then the temps drop into the teens for a low by midweek.

Ric
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
2:08 AM

Post #4342370

Thanks, Ric.

I call it Lime-kiln. I've never heard anyone else talk of it.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2007
2:25 AM

Post #4342436

So glad there's finally rain...all over the place, it seems like - east coast wise!
Sharon: Happy your MIL is doing a bit better. Will keep her in my prayers.
Marsue: Pansies are all we have blooming, too, but aren't they wonderful? We may have some camellias soon -
Rann: Close call with the greenhouse! Glad your babies didn't freeze.
Seeds: Nasty combo of freezing precip. Stay warm and safe!
Kelli: What a beautiful green forest. .and the ferns! Love it.

Currently...
Through 930 PM...scattered showers and thunderstorms will continue moving northeast across much of southeast South Carolina and southeast Georgia. Some of these thunderstorms may become severe with damaging winds in excess of 60 miles an hour and large hail. Thunderstorms will also contain heavy rain and deadly cloud to ground lightning. Patchy dense fog will reduce visibility mainly along the coastal areas of southeast South Carolina.

Well, no t-storms yet, but it IS raining! Yahoo!
Hight today was 72. Low tonight 47. By Wed, they say, tonights low will be the daytime high. Brrrr! Wed. night sposed to be in the teens. Yikes!

Ducks on the neighbors' roof this morning.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
3:02 AM

Post #4342565

Flamingo on our Stove this evening...

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
4:20 AM

Post #4342806

Ric! ROFLOL!!!
Deb: great picture of the ducks.
Kelli: you outdid yourself this time!! I pick you to be my tour guide on my next trip to CA!!!
Pepper: is that building a church? It looks something like Thorncrown Chapel in Eureka Springs, AR.
Se_eds: I echo your sentiments about being warm, dry, fed and blessed.
Rann: hope the weather doesn't spoil your fireworks show.
I'll try to find a link to Thorncrown Chapel so you all can see it for yourself. It is an amazing piece of architecture.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
4:23 AM

Post #4342816

Here's that link I mentioned:

http://www.thorncrown.com/Photogallery1/index.html
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2007
12:03 PM

Post #4343232

It is the Marjorie Powell Allen Chapel at Powell Gardens. Same architect and similar design.

Some flurries around the area this morning.

Currently: 34F Cloudy
Currently: 1C Cloudy
Wind: Northwest at 10 MPH
Dewpoint: 24F
Barometer: 29.73 inches and falling
Wind Chill: 26F
Wind: Northwest at 16 KPH
Dewpoint: -4C
Barometer: 1006 millibars and falling
Wind Chill: -3 C

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

December 31, 2007
12:11 PM

Post #4343244

Widely scattered intermittent light, 36, the storm that brought us the inch of rain is over the Atlantic now.

Got a full day, gotta install a "space-saver" coffee pot at moms then get everything ready for the SILs this eve

Everyone have a SAFE, happy & healthy new year. May your gardens be bountiful and the wind be at your back.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
1:51 PM

Post #4343397

Thanks, Dyson, for the New Year wishes. I echo them to the rest of you.
Thanks for the info on the chapel at Powell Gardens, Pepper.

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CST

Fair
Feels Like: 26
Barometer: 29.96 in and falling
Humidity: 91%
Dewpoint: 24
Wind: NE 3 mph
Sunrise: 7:16 am
Sunset: 5:06 pm

Here's a photo of my Christmas cactus in the sunshine as it streams through the window this morning.

Thumbnail by marsue

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2007
2:07 PM

Post #4343443

Currant temp 29. No wind later this evening winds to 2o mph and 1 inch of snow possible.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
6:07 PM

Post #4344319

Marsue, Fountain Valley is south of here. With fairly decent traffic, it's about an hour and 15 minutes away, I'd say.

Santa Ana winds again today (yawn).

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on December 31, 2007
61 F / 16 C
Clear
Humidity: 30%
Dew Point: 29 F / -2 C
Wind: 21 mph / 33 km/h / 9.3 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 32 mph / 52 km/h / 14.4 m/s

There is a small, wild beach at Limekiln. This is Big Sur country.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
6:12 PM

Post #4344339

Would you believe that they used to bring boats in here during the lime kiln days?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
6:15 PM

Post #4344351

... ... ... ...

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

December 31, 2007
6:21 PM

Post #4344372

HAPPY NEW YEARS, EVERYONE!
It's been such a wonderful and happy year here with you!
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

December 31, 2007
6:30 PM

Post #4344411

More great pictures, Kelli. It's hard to believe they really brought boats into that rocky beach!
Adina, I love the photo of that tree of lights--beautiful!

and a very Happy New Year to everyone here on the weather thread!

P.S. I think it is about time for Sidney to start us a new thread. How about it, Sidney--are you waiting until Jan. 1st?
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

December 31, 2007
7:08 PM

Post #4344531

Since we are doing birds...Rare bird nesting in my big maple tree...

early_bloomer

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 2:10 PM

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

December 31, 2007
8:11 PM

Post #4344692

Very cute!! There is very little breeze here and temp is 38. Do not see any of that white stuff yet. Went out and filled the feeders and put up my upside down feeder up but no woodpeckers yet either. They will come. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 31, 2007
8:42 PM

Post #4344767

27~~11:30am, gray/ very windy~~
Mostly cloudy with flurries this morning. Partly cloudy this afternoon. Highs in the 20s. North to northeast winds 10 to 20 mph with local gusts to 30 mph this morning. Winds northeast 10 mph this afternoon.
Tomorrow is my husband's birthday; I took a shortcut and bought a cake this morning~~
Love the little birdie in your tree, E_B
Dragonfly~~just beautiful, too. Will there be snow?
Thanks Adina~happy new year to you as well.
And, Happy new year to all.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

December 31, 2007
8:57 PM

Post #4344790

Happy New Year, everyone!

E_B, I almost spit my pop on the monitor when I saw your bird picture! LOLOL!

My wonderful DH got me a Dave's Garden calendar for Christmas and I just put it up, so DebinSC's dog is trotting across the bridge beside me. :-) It's a gorgeous day here.. DH took both bunnies for a walk to the car parts place to get some parts, bless his heart. I need to finish up the year-in-review slideshow that we send out for Christmas cards to our family every year. It's a bit late this time. (as usual.. ahem..) It's mostly done, actually.. I just need to finish editing it and maybe I'll stick in a few post-Christmas pictures... It's already almost half an hour long, though, and I don't want to bore the poor folks we're inflicting this on TOO much, so I need to be careful.

We have two new family members! We went down to our local shelter on Saturday and adopted two kitties. The bunnies are ecstatic, and the kitties seem to be settling in very well. :-) I posted a thread about them in the Pet forum: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/800917/

Please be careful if you must go out tonight! Thank you for helping to make 2007 a lot of fun!! I look forward to popping in here and seeing what you all are doing every day, and I love having friends all over the world. :-)

Blessings from Houston,
~ Marylyn
Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 1:53pm CST (60 min ago)
Temperature 71 F 22 C
Dew Point 50 F 10 C
Humidity 47%
Pressure 30.05 in 1017.5 mb
Wind Speed 10 MPH 9 kts
Wind Dir SW 230
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 76 F 24 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 39.9F / 4.4C

Ooo.. brrr.. look at this!

Quoting:SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
333 AM CST MON DEC 31 2007

...FREEZING TEMPERATURES TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

A CANADIAN COLD FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE REGION LATER THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING AND WILL USHER IN A MUCH COLDER AIRMASS TONIGHT THROUGH THE MIDDLE PART OF THE WEEK. TEMPERATURES WILL CLIMB TO NEAR 70 THIS AFTERNOON AHEAD OF THE FRONT. HOWEVER...THOSE VENTURING OUT FOR NEW YEARS EVE FESTIVITIES SHOULD DRESS WARMLY AS READINGS WILL LIKELY BE IN THE LOW 40S WHEN RETURNING HOME AFTER MIDNIGHT.

TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO FALL BELOW FREEZING FOR 6 TO 8 HOURS TUESDAY NIGHT. RESIDENTS SHOULD TAKE APPROPRIATE MEASURES TO PROTECT PETS...PLANTS...AND MAY WANT TO WRAP EXPOSED PIPES. IF OUTSIDE...DRESS IN LAYERS. CHECK ON THOSE THAT MAY NEED A LITTLE EXTRA HELP AND BE ESPECIALLY CAREFUL IF USING SPACE HEATERS.

ANOTHER FREEZE IS EXPECTED WEDNESDAY NIGHT...POSSIBLY OF A SIMILAR DURATION DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF CLOUD COVER THAT MAY MOVE INTO THE REGION FROM THE WEST.

A GRADUAL WARMING TREND WILL BEGIN THURSDAY AND PERSIST INTO THE WEEKEND.

Winter has officially arrived in Texas!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 31, 2007
9:23 PM

Post #4344889

Winter is coming here (again) for the new year!Last time it blew through it lasted two days, looks like it will hang around a little longer this time.

"Tuesday Night
Mostly clear. Much colder. Lows in the lower 40s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 31 to 34 after midnight

Temperatures are forecast to be even colder Thursday morning. Persons in east central Florida should be taking protective measures for the upcoming cold weather."

My New Year celebration is already over. My Grandson and his family took me to lunch at my favorite resturant which is at a marina. We sat outside on the deck, watched the boats passing by and enjoyed 80+ temps with a soft breeze. I had almost forgotten there was a world out there! LOL

Anyway...Happy New Year to all my DG friends!!! Have a safe one, and I hope the new year brings you all that your heart's desire.
(((hugs)))
~~~Pati
kiska

(Zone 3b)

December 31, 2007
10:46 PM

Post #4345223

MarylynT_X~~lucky bunnies and kitties~ very cute and I just know they will be very happy in their new home. Looks like cooler weather coming down there; just right for wintertime.
Pati~lunch and surroundings sounds wonderful. 80 at the end of Dec~what will they think of next?:)
This is a link to Fairbanks ice carving; very nice site; especially clik on the web cam...
http://www.icealaska.com/
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

December 31, 2007
11:01 PM

Post #4345284

Kelli: Wow! That's some serious surf you caught there! Great shots.
Adina: It'll be 2008 probably by the time you see this, but Happy New Year! anyway. :)
E_B: Rare bird indeed! LOL. Thanks for the laugh.
Kiska: Tomorrow's my dad's birthday, too. When we were very little, he used to try to tell us the fireworks were for him.
Marylyn: A slide show! You are so good. I'm lucky to get a handful of cards out. :)
Pati: We had our 2-day winter, too and I hoped that was it, but - like you - we're going to get a 3 or 4 day winter this week. Lows in the teens! Argghh!! I hate that. Especially when it's been so lovely and mild.

Now, 50F and ptly cloudy. HAPPY 2008 Everybody!
Here's sunset this evening.

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 1, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #4345730

Currently: 30F Partly Cloudy
Currently: -1C Partly Cloudy
Wind: Northwest at 13 MPH
Humidity: 69%
Barometer: 30.17 inches and rising
Wind Chill: 20F
Wind: Northwest at 20 KPH
Humidity: 69%
Barometer: 1021 millibars and rising

Happy New Year everyone!!

Thumbnail by pepper23

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2008
2:16 AM

Post #4345949

e_b ROTFLMAO!!!

Deb, Pepper, Kiska, BEV, Adina, Sue and Kelli what Gorgeous Shots to end the year.
Thank You ALL!!

Marylyn Congrats to you and the bunnies!
Lovely pair there and so lucky that you rescued them.
What a lovely New Years you have given them!

We're looking at a mellow 45 now, turning to rain, turning to snow by morning.

Here's a little wine we are using for our toasts this evening.
How cool are these bottles!

HAPPY NEWS YEARS TO YOU ALL MY FRIENDS!!!!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2008
2:20 AM

Post #4345965

Happy New Year everyone! May 2008 bring you lots of joy and beautiful flowers :-)

It's 2 am here and the fireworks are mostly over. It's been windy and rainy all day, all the bonfires were cancelled so it didn't look good ... but it didn't rain around midnight and although it was very blustery it wasn't enough to stop the fireworks :-) It was great! :-) I didn't go further than my driveway, there was plenty to see form there - here's one photo taken just before midnight :-)

At midnight the wind had reached "storm status" at 45 mph, gusting to 69 mph ... I'm so glad people didn't let that put a dent in the festivities ;-) Current temp is 42F.

Have a great night everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2008
5:28 AM

Post #4346498

Well, we have weathered another year here in Dave's Garden. I wish you all a safe, happy and healthy new year. Spring is just around the corner!

early_bloomer

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #4346927

Light, 38, gauge at 4.25 inches, puddles in the driveway are a welcome sight.

Supposed to snow tomorrow. Still have not located the camera.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #4346948

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! I hope everyone had a safe and happy night. May you all have a prosperous and healthy new year.

Your prayers are working! We had a big day yesterday. Mom was taken off life support and the breathing machine. She told her sisters and Jeff "Take me home"! LOL! She's disoriented and doesn't understand what happened. The last she remembers is going to bed. Jeff is probably coming home tomorrow, it depends on Mom being coherent.

52.7 F / 11.5 C
Partly Cloudy
Dew Point: 47 F / 8 C
Clouds: Few 6000 ft / 1828 m

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from noon today to 10 PM EST Wednesday...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect from 1 am to 11 am EST Wednesday...
Freeze warning in effect from 3 am to 9 am EST Wednesday...
Hard freeze watch in effect from Wednesday evening through Thursday morning...

Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming mostly sunny in the afternoon. Breezy. High 63. Northwest winds increasing to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Great pics everyone!
Ric - Love the cat bottles! Where did you get them? Your flamingo is hysterical!
E_B Love that rare bird of yours!
Marylyn - Congratulations on the new family members! They're adorable.
Deb Beautiful sunset!
Kelli You know I love those beach pictures! Great job!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #4346987

Sharon: great news about your MIL--prayers continuing for her and the family.
Ric: cool cats, indeed--LOL
love those new kitties, Marylyn
E_B, Rann, BEV, Deb, Pepper, Kiska--great photos all.

We've had a cold start to the New Year---BRRRR! But no snow nor rain predicted and plenty of sunshine.

Current conditions as of 6:55 am CST

Fair
Feels Like: 22
Barometer: 30.51 in and rising
Humidity: 65%
Dewpoint: 23
Wind: W 10 mph
Sunrise: 7:16 am
Sunset: 5:07 pm

Have a great first day of 2008!!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 1, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #4347177

Here's a brand new thread for Jan. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/801281/
Come on over!!!
Sharon great news on MIL!
;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America